Dutch

Which RB age 25 and under will have the better 2013 season?

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which RB age 25 and under will have the better 2013 season?

• Doug Martin
    • Alfred Morris
    • LeSean McCoy
    • Trent Richardson
    • C.J Spiller
    • Stevan Ridley
    • Darren McFadden
    • DeMarco Murray
    • Lamar Miller (surprise pick)

Alfred Morris seemed like the most likely running back to sustain his success he had last year (At least to me), but with Shannahan as his head coach, it's tough to chose him. I think Ridley was a one year wonder, the Hoody is even worse when dealing with running backs coming and going than Shannahan is. CJ Spiller is the flashy pick and he seems to be the center of the Bills' offense, but I question him holding up. The same goes for McFadden and Murray, we all know they are made of glass. Doig Martin seems like a good option here as well, until you dig real deep into his production last year and realize that he had several big games, but consistency wasn't exactly what you would expect for the stats he ended the season with.

That all left me with Richardson (A good bet for 300+ carries if he's healthy), LeSean McCoy and the sleeper in the poll, Lamaar Miller. Miller is flashy, he has a ton of speed and can catch the ball out of the backfield. I think he's nearly a carbon copy of Reggie Bush. I think that his season will depend more on the Dolphins blockers than him breaking out. Have to eliminate him, easiest projected schedule or not, I don't think he has a huge season. 1000 yards? Sure, it's definitely a possibility, but not much more. I think Richardson will get hit with the injury bug by week 10 while leading the league in rushing attempts and possibly yards. McCoy is almost booked for a huge year. He's got the coach that will help him produce in the passing game and the running game. I feel like he's going to be the best back out of this bunch.

Lesean McCoy. There is nothing else on that offense.

Admittedly, they were putrid last season. So cue regime change, new season blah blah... Personnel-wise they aren't that much different from the 4th ranked by yardage offense of 2011 (though that number is misleading, they were inefficient, still). I realize that they aren't a bunch of world beaters outside of Lesean but they aren't completely untalented either... at least I don't think. Maybe Reid was actually coaching the players into being better than they are that year and his previous few... :shrug:. I know, I know... no consistency at QB...

Basically I'm saying all of the other skill players have shown flashes of really excellent ability and its possible that last year was a fluke as far as a marked decline in production for pretty much all of them. There are multiple reasons that I'm not going to get into and this has already gotten too wordy.

edit . oh yea. I think possibly Doug Martin is going to have the best season.

Edited by GA_Eagle

I think Bryce Brown is a bigger threat to eat into McCoy's production than anyone on the Bills or Bucs with Spiller and Martin respectively. Though I think it's fair to wonder if Spiller will hold up in a feature role.

I thought the Eagles were gonna split caries more heavily this year... is Shady McCoy really a safe bet?

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Yeah, I believe so. The reason why is because of our tempo; the rate at which we do plays. The Patriots were 2nd in the league (i think) in rushing attempts and was also a top passing attack in the league. That's possible all due to tempo and he got that from Chip at college. Granted, we may not be as successful definitely in the passing game, but Chip will run the ball alot.

I really think this is CJ Spiller's year to take over the Bills offense. He's done nothing but learn and improve through his time in the league, and last I heard he had all but solidified himself in the starting gig. Outside of Steve Johnson, how many other legit weapons do the Bills have?

If I were going sleeper pick, I'd also double it up with the homer pick and go with Lamar Miller. Although, the coincidence that I'm a Dolphins fan has little to do with my faith in his rushing ability if his limited touches last year are any indication of his potential.

I went homer on Morris,, i have to with my avatar.

But also, if RG3 can continue to paralyze defensive ends and linebackers, there's no reason Morris can't pick up where he left off. And as of late, RG3 looks pretty far along on the rehab trail.

I think it's more of a full-offense threat that allows him to do it.

Hey,, Shady McCoy has a lot of votes.

You know, it always seems to work out great whenever some hotshot college coach comes into the NFL. Especially those who have never even been an assistant towel boy in the big leagues. ;)

In all seriousness, aside from the fact Chip Kelly just cashed his very first NFL paycheck a few months ago, i just don't see how the Eagles can revamp what was really a very bad offensive line in one offseason enough to make McCoy a big threat.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

I don't think consistency is as big of a deal as some people are making it out to be for Martin. Other than the first game against Carolina, he kind of struggled out of the gate for the next two to three games (he only had 8 carries in that 3rd game against Washington so tough to say he struggled in that one when the Bucs gave up on the running game). But starting with the Chiefs game, he pretty much took off. He only had one real bad performance after that against the Saints, but he only got 9 carries and we lost by 41 points so we gave up on the run too quickly to hold it against him.

Even in some of his less impressive games, he still had a impact on the game because there is more to being a good RB than just running the ball. Against the Chargers he ran for 68 yards, but also managed 51 receiving yards. He had 56 yards on the ground against the Broncos, but had 42 receiving. He ran for 62 yards against the Rams, with 57 in the air. Those are 3 games that look unimpresive at first glance but he managed over 100 total yards in most of them. His ability to help in the passing game was huge, which led him to being third in the whole league in total yards behind Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson. Every RB is going to have their games where even if you give them 20 carries they'll only manage 50-70 yards because they never broke the big runs, but Martin showed the ability to still impact the game in other areas in those games. He's special and I look forward to seeing his future.

Edited by Milla4Prez63

I'll go ahead and say Ridley will have a huge year this year. No Hernandez, Gronkowski is questionable to start the year and Brady has a whole bunch of new WRs. If they ever get Gronkowski back, Amendola will likely be hurt so I expect Ridley to get a lot more touches this year.

Edited by SolomonGrundy

I went homer on Morris,, i have to with my avatar.

But also, if RG3 can continue to paralyze defensive ends and linebackers, there's no reason Morris can't pick up where he left off. And as of late, RG3 looks pretty far along on the rehab trail.

I think it's more of a full-offense threat that allows him to do it.

Hey,, Shady McCoy has a lot of votes.

You know, it always seems to work out great whenever some hotshot college coach comes into the NFL. Especially those who have never even been an assistant towel boy in the big leagues. ;)

In all seriousness, aside from the fact Chip Kelly just cashed his very first NFL paycheck a few months ago, i just don't see how the Eagles can revamp what was really a very bad offensive line in one offseason enough to make McCoy a big threat.

~Bang

The line was mostly patchwork last season so some returning starters could completely change the effectiveness. Here's hoping at least.

The line was mostly patchwork last season so some returning starters could completely change the effectiveness. Here's hoping at least.

Well, King Dunlap is gone,, which is good news for you.

That guy was horrid.

~Bang

I went homer on this and voted Morris - he will be the feature back again in what was the number 1 rushing attack in the NFL and is a good bet to be the top back on that list in terms of rushing yards. If you look at total yardage though I think McCoy is probably the guy to beat since I am expecting he will get a lot of touches in the passing game as well as more carries than he had under Reid.

As for the Eagles O'Line Bang (and good to see you in a different place than I normally do :biggrin: ) They suffered with a lot of injuries last year. Getting Peters back will be huge and they drafted a tackle high who looks like a good fit with his athletic ability. I think the Eagles will be better up front this year but what might hold that whole offense back, apart from the transition to a new scheme, is the QB spot.

Howdy, Martin :)

Well as to the eagles OL, I say Show Me.

They may get healthy, but really, i think the Eagles have handed the ball off maybe 34 times n the last ten years. "Throw it 75% of the time" Reid is gone.

We'll see what they can do in a new scheme.

Their run game has been anything but conventional, and the guys they have coming back may take some retraining. You know about old dogs and new tricks.. I'm skeptical.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

I don't think consistency is as big of a deal as some people are making it out to be for Martin. Other than the first game against Carolina, he kind of struggled out of the gate for the next two to three games (he only had 8 carries in that 3rd game against Washington so tough to say he struggled in that one when the Bucs gave up on the running game). But starting with the Chiefs game, he pretty much took off. He only had one real bad performance after that against the Saints, but he only got 9 carries and we lost by 41 points so we gave up on the run too quickly to hold it against him.

Even in some of his less impressive games, he still had a impact on the game because there is more to being a good RB than just running the ball. Against the Chargers he ran for 68 yards, but also managed 51 receiving yards. He had 56 yards on the ground against the Broncos, but had 42 receiving. He ran for 62 yards against the Rams, with 57 in the air. Those are 3 games that look unimpresive at first glance but he managed over 100 total yards in most of them. His ability to help in the passing game was huge, which led him to being third in the whole league in total yards behind Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson. Every RB is going to have their games where even if you give them 20 carries they'll only manage 50-70 yards because they never broke the big runs, but Martin showed the ability to still impact the game in other areas in those games. He's special and I look forward to seeing his future.

Plus this upcoming year he's going to have his injured linemen back in front of him. I think he's the easy choice.

Oh, I'm definitely being a homer here. Shaaaaaady!

Has nothing to do with being a homer. Shady is the Eagles only serious threat offensively. He's a top 5 RB and will put up those kinds of numbers.

I voted for Doug Martin, though I nearly did vote for Alfred Morris. I think they could both end up with over 1, 500 yards if not more. Personally I think Martin will edge him in terms of combined yards, but my bet would be on one of them.

A dark horse is Darren McFadden. If he stays healthy then we all know how certain players can have career years in contract years.

A dark horse is Darren McFadden. If he stays healthy then we all know how certain players can have career years in contract years.

Ugh,, as a fantasy owner of McFadden in a dynasty league, he is the single most frustrating guy in the league.. he has every bit of what it takes to be the best RB in the NFL, but damn, he just can't stay on the field.

"If he stays healthy" is a very BIG if for him.

I won't hold my breath.

~Bang

Ugh,, as a fantasy owner of McFadden in a dynasty league, he is the single most frustrating guy in the league.. he has every bit of what it takes to be the best RB in the NFL, but damn, he just can't stay on the field.

"If he stays healthy" is a very BIG if for him.

I won't hold my breath.

~Bang

Yeah man, I feel the same way. Darren McFadden is an awesome running back but he just can't stay healthy. I have no doubt in my mind if he could stay healthy he would be a top RB in this league. Hopefully he holds up this season in his contract year.

I would just like to thank Doug Martin for helping me win our ESPN league after drafting him in the sixth round.

He will, (again), have the best year out of these RBs.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm getting him in the sixth round this time.

I would just like to thank Doug Martin for helping me win our ESPN league after drafting him in the sixth round.

What a steal... I picked up Martin and remember releasing him like 3-4 weeks in. Boy did I regret that..lol

I thought the Eagles were gonna split caries more heavily this year... is Shady McCoy really a safe bet?

Bryce Brown fumbles way too much to take too many carries away from Shady, although admittedly I don't like the way McCoy carries the football either. Statistically he still fumbles less than Brown by a lot.

Bryce Brown fumbles way too much to take too many carries away from Shady, although admittedly I don't like the way McCoy carries the football either. Statistically he still fumbles less than Brown by a lot.

Fumbling is one of the more correctable problems that an RB can have.

What a steal... I picked up Martin and remember releasing him like 3-4 weeks in. Boy did I regret that..lol

That sucks. I know someone who did the same exact thing in one of my leagues. Martin didn't really start to breakout until after the bye week, but once he hit his streak, he was one of the best backs in the NFL.

Fumbling is one of the more correctable problems that an RB can have.

Yeah well until he corrects it he's not going to be taking too many carries away from a guy who has established himself as a top tier NFL RB.

He didnt have the best year out of those backs last year, Alfred Morris did. Besides is Martin really that good?

• Downvote 1