Sign in to follow this  
housemd

'Other' Steve Smith retiring from football

Ex-Giants WR Steve Smith is retiring from football.

A 2007 second-round pick of the Giants, the "other" Steve Smith is hanging up his cleats just three weeks after his 28th birthday. He signed with the Bucs early last month. Smith is technically healthy, but was simply never the same after undergoing microfracture surgery on his left knee in 2010. The forbear to Victor Cruz in the slot in New York, Smith caught 107 passes for 1,220 yards and seven touchdowns in 2009. He ended up catching just 73 passes over his final 27 games, spending 2011 in Philadelphia and 2012 in St. Louis.

Mr. Schefter said it best:

@AdamSchefter 29 May For every Adrian Peterson who returns better than ever from knee surgery, there's the story of a Steve Smith who does not.

I always liked Steve Smith when he was with the Giants, I'll always remember how he came up huge on third down for Eli in Super Bowl 42. It's a shame that he left the team after the 2010 season and that he couldn't really get back to his former self.

• Upvote 1

I was intrigued to see him this year, but he was a longshot to contribute and he probably knew it.

Oddly enough, this makes him the 4th Buc to retire this offseason alongside Ronde Barber, Nate Kaeding and Drake Dunsmore.

Loved Steve Smith. Good underrated player before that surgery. Good guy, too. Just too bad. :(

Damn that sucks :(

He was a great slot guy for NYG, but I think he rushed coming back from his injury once he left the Giants. I was hoping may he'd come back and be a decent slot guy for us this year.

Welp...was more than likely due to his persistent knee problems, he really never came close to being a productive player since his release from NY. Good luck to him and the rest of his endeavors. Now I think the 3rd WR spot is between Underwood and Ogletree. Also look out for this guy we brought in..Eric Page. He was pretty productive at Toledo and he could be an impact at slot receiver for us once he gets coached up some...

Welp...was more than likely due to his persistent knee problems, he really never came close to being a productive player since his release from NY. Good luck to him and the rest of his endeavors. Now I think the 3rd WR spot is between Underwood and Ogletree. Also look out for this guy we brought in..Eric Page. He was pretty productive at Toledo and he could be an impact at slot receiver for us once he gets coached up some...

Yea, a lot of people seem to be high on Page. I personally think Ogletree wins it, but it really is up for grabs for anyone. Definitely going to be watching the battle for this spot closely during TC and Pre-season. :yep: