Omerta

What Are Your Realistic Expectations For Your Team?

The 2007 Patriots roster and the 2012 49ers roster did essentially the same thing- made it to the SB and lost. Now people will think back on the undefeated season and argue that that team was infinitely better than the 2011/2012 version of the 49ers, but I would argue otherwise. A huge part of why that 2007 team was so good was Tom Brady. And we're excluding him from consideration, because right now we're talking about the supporting cast around the QB. To illustrate- you put Tom Brady on the 49ers in 2011 or 2012, and you're telling me they wouldn't have dominated the same way? With Crabtree and Davis and that offensive line and that running game and that defense? I think they would have stomped through their schedule just like the 2007 Patriots did and would more than likely have won a championship. The supporting casts are very comparable. Also comparable- to me- is that Smith has only had one good season (with that supporting cast) of QB play than can even be considered average by today's standards. And during that one good year, he was protected by the scheme in which he was placed. Which brings me to the point of my argument- I don't think he'll be successful if he's not protected in the same way.

But the great thing is that in 2 1/2 more months, we can watch him go out and settle this debate for us.

You don't even need to look at their cast to see how much they are similar. Alex Smith was extremely babied with the 49ers. Good luck getting that same kinda babying with a team with a -200 point differential and a pass happy coach...

• Upvote 1

The 2007 Patriots roster and the 2012 49ers roster did essentially the same thing- made it to the SB and lost. Now people will think back on the undefeated season and argue that that team was infinitely better than the 2011/2012 version of the 49ers, but I would argue otherwise. A huge part of why that 2007 team was so good was Tom Brady. And we're excluding him from consideration, because right now we're talking about the supporting cast around the QB. To illustrate- you put Tom Brady on the 49ers in 2011 or 2012, and you're telling me they wouldn't have dominated the same way? With Crabtree and Davis and that offensive line and that running game and that defense? I think they would have stomped through their schedule just like the 2007 Patriots did and would more than likely have won a championship. The supporting casts are very comparable. Also comparable- to me- is that Smith has only had one good season (with that supporting cast) of QB play than can even be considered average by today's standards. And during that one good year, he was protected by the scheme in which he was placed. Which brings me to the point of my argument- I don't think he'll be successful if he's not protected in the same way.

But the great thing is that in 2 1/2 more months, we can watch him go out and settle this debate for us.

The Randy Moss that Brady had was far better than the one that Alex Smith had. The defense Brady had backing him up was even better than the defense Smith had. The 49ers might have a better running game, but Cassel would NOT win 11 games in SF, no matter how good they are. An undefeated season has only happened twice, and you think that the 49ers are good enough to be the third? I don't. Yeah, Brady is awesome, but that team was stacked from top to bottom. That's not just me looking back either. I said they were the best team ever like one game into the season. I might have said it in preseason that year. They were incredible. It's still a travesty that they didn't win it all that year. Someone on that team had some seriously bad karma coming their way. There is no reason that the Giants should have beat them, but they did. That might be the most well-deserved ring ever won, because they beat the best team that I have ever seen to win it.

The Randy Moss that Brady had was far better than the one that Alex Smith had. The defense Brady had backing him up was even better than the defense Smith had. The 49ers might have a better running game, but Cassel would NOT win 11 games in SF, no matter how good they are. An undefeated season has only happened twice, and you think that the 49ers are good enough to be the third? I don't. Yeah, Brady is awesome, but that team was stacked from top to bottom. That's not just me looking back either. I said they were the best team ever like one game into the season. I might have said it in preseason that year. They were incredible. It's still a travesty that they didn't win it all that year. Someone on that team had some seriously bad karma coming their way. There is no reason that the Giants should have beat them, but they did. That might be the most well-deserved ring ever won, because they beat the best team that I have ever seen to win it.

Yeah, sorry man- I definitely think Brady on the 2011 49ers would be comparable.

I realistically expect our offensive line to still rank below 20th in the league which means Cutler will be getting hit all the time and forcing throws which leads to turnovers and us leaning on Forte too much until he gets hurt and then we are stuck with a un-dynamic Michael Bush not giving us much in the run game and Cutler forcing it to his buddy Marshall almost half the time despite our new targets. I also expect Trestman's crew to seriously screw up our defensive swag and chemistry while Briggs and Tillman all alone become players/coaches as they take over the defense and keep them a float while ignoring what Mel Tucker has to say. All culminating in us just missing the playoffs again as we awkwardly stumble in the first half of a majority of games but pull it together in the end for about 8 or 9 wins as everyone decides to agree that it takes time to adjust to a new staff and starts the hype for the 2014 season as we sit at home and watch other teams play for the championship.

Finish .500.

I don't know if it's because I've grown up and have other priorities, but I'm just not into analyzing the Cowboys as much as I used to be (or football in general for that matter). The team - but more specifically with Romo at the helm - really is the definition of a football rollercoaster. We could go on a four game winning streak followed by a four game losing streak. I know that can happen with any football team, but in recent Dallas Cowboys football it's too much. Way too much inconsistency for my liking.

I'll always pull for Tony because for some stupid reason I like him, but my faith in him is extremely low.

I'm honestly not sure. I fully expect our offense to chew up yards this year and score a lot more than last year. I think if we start off turning the ball over at the rate we did last year changes will be made and we'll finally be officially turning the page on Vick.

Defensively, I'm not sure what to expect. With all those new starters in the secondary I don't think we'll be as bad as we were last year and I think with all the different looks we'll give teams up front that we should be much more effective at getting to the passer.

I don't think we'll be one of the best teams out there but I also expect at least 6-10 wins which would put us somewhere in the middle of the pack. Where? That depends on a lot of things. Don't forget the turn around the Packers made pretty recently I think it was their Super Bowl year back when everyone thought Capers was awesome. Sometimes scheme changes like that can catch everyone off guard.

One thing is for sure, it's going to be fun being the team that the league is trying to adjust to. It's gonna be a fun year.

Thing about Doom in Baltimore though(sorry for being 2 pages too late)is that he won't have as much run responsibility. The Ravens have depth and talent on their defensive line. The Ravens are going to have the luxury of using Dumervil much like the Falcons have used Abraham in the past and they'll be able to bring him off the edge both with his hand in the dirt and as a OLB. Dumervil was a GREAT pick up for Baltimore and for a good price since Denver has to pay him this year too. Doom will be better for the Ravens than he would have been for the Bronco's.

I think this year with all the new faces you can expect some communication breakdowns, especially in the secondary. That will be helped a lot by getting Webb back though. Could be starting a rookie inside at LB. They've done a great job of re-tooling their roster. I think there will be bumps in the road this year, but look out next year. Said it before, I think the Ravens narrowly miss the playoffs this year but with a good set of picks and a bunch of compensatory picks they could be sick for a long long time. This year though, Pittsburgh takes the division and the Bengals defense is going to build on what they did last year which was pretty phenomenal. AFCN is going to be ridiculous. I like what the Browns are doing too.

9-7, anything less and Dominik should be fired, the next GM can evaluate Schiano and his staff.

That's the part that I struggle with. Don't get me wrong, I think Denver will continue to have a very good pass rush this season. But better than last year? Better because Dumervil moved on? Not sure I buy that. I mean, if Dumervil was so ordinary in that regard that you're actually going to be a stronger team w/out him, why was Elway ready to pay him 8/season? And why did Ozzie, arguably one of the top 5 GM's in the game, jump at the chance to sign him? Something doesn't add up there.

I will address this because the other twos homeristic bullshit has feces pushing through my orbital sockets.

I would just like to add I am not sure it is arguable he is top 5. I would say he is arguably THE best. Sure that is debatable, but I can not think of 4 other GM's I would rather have. Also I would like to reference the Corey Graham signing, people thought he was just going to be a special teams guy and maybe play in some dime packages. How did it turn out ? I will put it this way, we dont have the Lombardi Trophy without him. Was he the sole reason, but we do not get past the Broncos without his two picks and his very solid corner play from week 6 to the SB.