Sign in to follow this  
Turry

Update: Jets sign Kellen Winslow to one-year contract

Free agent Kellen Winslow will try out for the Jets at their minicamp next week.

Winslow, 30 next month, reportedly drew some interest from the Raiders earlier in the offseason, and the veteran also said the Panthers and Browns were poking around on him. The former No. 6 overall pick was on the street for much of 2012. Winslow caught one pass for 12 yards in one game with the Patriots. Related: Jets

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Edited by BLUE

Well David Garrard is no idiot.... although I do agree with the sentiments.

This always makes me laugh...

Well David Garrard is no idiot.... although I do agree with the sentiments.

This always makes me laugh...

Lmao. I never saw that haha.

Hard to believe he's only 30...

Winslow Jr was a pretty good TE for the Bucs for what its worth. I don't know how much he has left in the tank though.

Winslow Jr was a pretty good TE for the Bucs for what its worth. I don't know how much he has left in the tank though.

He's still better than a lot of TEs on NFL rosters, but NFL teams don't like having veteran backups with an attitude like Winslow.

A try out for the soldier..lol. Well I hope he’s humble and doesn’t act like a jack ass for us, if he shows he can’t tone it down this might be his last tryout for an NFL team. But he is a low risk signing, probably the vet minimum, and if healthy he is an upgrade over what we have. Cuz personally I'm not happy with our TE situation.

Also Mike Sims-Walker and defensive lineman Leger Douzable have been invited to try out as well.

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Jets will reportedly try to sign free agent TE Kellen Winslow following this week's minicamp.

If Winslow's balky knees can hold up for a couple more days, he's going to get an offer. He's impressed during his tryout and is obviously a massive talent upgrade on current starting tight end Jeff Cumberland. The question is if Winslow can sustain health. Jun 12 - 12:59 PM

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter

Edited by BLUE

Per Rotoworld.com:

Jets signed TE Kellen Winslow to a one-year contract.

30 years old next month, Winslow by all accounts impressed at his tryout at Jets minicamp and couldn't have picked a better landing spot for playing-time opportunities. Current starter Jeff Cumberland is a lumbering, stiff upright tight end and No. 2 TE Hayden Smith is a converted rugby player. There's a real chance Winslow will wind up starting for the Jets, although we wouldn't expect much of a fantasy impact. Purely a possession receiver at this point in his career, Winslow appeared in one game in 2012, catching one pass for 12 yards. He is a shell of the seam-stretcher and vertical threat he once was. Jun 14 - 5:10 PM

Source: Profootballtalk on Twitter

Yep! Winslow is a Jet. Ironic though that he's willing to sign for the vet minimum after apparently being let go by Seattle last preseason because he wouldn’t take less than the contract that came with him in the trade from the Bucs. Hmm..I guess once you got none of those big checks coming your way, a bit less can look pretty damn good. But considering our TE situation, I do not mind this move one bit. Just hope he stays healthy!

Solid move by the Jets. Low risk, High reward type of signing. His knees are an issue, but his whole attitude thing is blown way out of proportion. I think he can be a solid TE for the Jets. Probably better than anything they have right now.