AllYouNeedIsLovie

If you could add anyone, which one player from another team would you add?

Adrian Peterson!

Lions wouldn't be any better with AP? No use rebutting that logic.

The thing people are missing is that a mostly one dimensional offense, puts up those numbers. Now insert that extra dimension... imagine a team capable of being a top 5 offense on one leg, give them 2. Of course he could flounder, I wouldn't give it good odds but so could Watt outside Houston or Miller outside Denver, its not likely, but possible. Doesn't have to mean a power running game, doesn't have to mean 50 throws a game. It would be called a balanced offense. :O lots of bland looking formations forcing a defense to tip their hand. They stopping (or trying to stop, I should say) AP or MEGATRON. Plus theoretically a more well rested defense.

Also you're going to have to imagine some scheme changes in these imaginary scenarios. If a team miraculously found themselves with AP its not hard to imagine the run/pass ratio being altered.

I actually think Darren sproles or David Wilson(younger) would be ideal fits for what Detroit wants to do. A playmaking do everything safety would be my choice for Detroit. Eric weddle.

For the Chargers, J.J. Watt with Von Miller a distant second. That's no diss to Miller either. I just find what Watt did from his position so much more impressive. Scary to think that he did that with a bad elbow.

Watt would certainly be a game changer for nearly any team. But I think I would rank a solid cornerstone to the o line as the number one priority. I would take Matt Kalil.

I actually think Darren sproles or David Wilson(younger) would be ideal fits for what Detroit wants to do. A playmaking do everything safety would be my choice for Detroit. Eric weddle.

Yeah because we don't have a pass catching back or decent safeties... you could have Bush and Peterson out there for a design run or pass. Weddle or Wilson would provide improvement in percieved mediocre areas, but AP would instantly provide an insane dimension we don't have, and turn a weakness into a strength and provide balance to an offense that can get it done despite our lack of a run game for some time now.

In fact, I'm done defending my pick. Wilson over AP? Its not necessarily about who fits the current mold, schemes change to adjust for personnel. I feel he's the guy who gives us the best upside from one person. In fact, after seeing the majority of peoples picking Watt or Miller I re-read the initial post to make sure the poster didn't mention AP when he ruled out QBs...

AP improves any team more than any other non QB 26/32x :) and that's my opinion.

Watt had a amazing year, but I really don't think he is as effective in a four man front at rushing the passer.

Anyway I would take Duane Brown

Watt had a amazing year, but I really don't think he is as effective in a four man front at rushing the passer.

Anyway I would take Duane Brown

JJ watt would have the same responsibilities in a 4-3 defense as a under tackle where his responsibilities would be to rush the passer.

JJ watt would have the same responsibilities in a 4-3 defense as a under tackle where his responsibilities would be to rush the passer.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe people wanting Watt on their D-line in a four man front were thinking about at defensive end seeing as interior lineman usually aren't the big pass rushing studs. As for him having the same responsibilities...that is partly true, but the spacing is very different and will make the difference on his effectiveness.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe people wanting Watt on their D-line in a four man front were thinking about at defensive end seeing as interior lineman usually aren't the big pass rushing studs. As for him having the same responsibilities...that is partly true, but the spacing is very different and will make the difference on his effectiveness.

I know when I watch Watt dominate (out of both their base set and their even front packages), I've never thought that spacing was a factor in his success.

I know when I watch Watt dominate (out of both their base set and their even front packages), I've never thought that spacing was a factor in his success.

Playing a 4 tech over the tackle with a OLB on the edge and playing inside as a 1 tech or 3 tech are very different in space. You see a lot more stunt blitzes in a 3-4 because of that spacing and the 4 techs having a two way go on the tackle. Inside of a even front you are talking about playing between the interior of the o-line where it is typically more compact by alignment and in pass protection. Playing a full time interior lineman you will be going into double teams A LOT more and not twisting or stunting or having blitz pressure behind you has much.

Playing a 4 tech over the tackle with a OLB on the edge and playing inside as a 1 tech or 3 tech are very different in space. You see a lot more stunt blitzes in a 3-4 because of that spacing and the 4 techs having a two way go on the tackle. Inside of a even front you are talking about playing between the interior of the o-line where it is typically more compact by alignment and in pass protection. Playing a full time interior lineman you will be going into double teams A LOT more and not twisting or stunting or having blitz pressure behind you has much.

I'm not saying they aren't different. I'm saying it doesn't matter.

The Texans already spend about half the time in some kind of even front nickel package with Watt at the 3 anyways. Hasn't seemed to bother him.

I'm not saying they aren't different. I'm saying it doesn't matter. The Texans already spend about half the time in some kind of even front nickel package with Watt at the 3 anyways. Hasn't seemed to bother him.

Playing a even front out of a 3-4 base is still different because the plays you call or still fit to a 3-4 personnel meaning you will have them doing some things with the blitz that you don't see in a base 4-3. Now I'm not disagreeing that Watt can still handle his on the inside, but from what I've seen he benefits heavily from blitzes and stunts rather than pure pass rush skill that everyone thinks he has. As a even front end I don't think he has the bend or hands to play out on the edge and as an interior lineman in the even front he won't will be asked to go straight ahead a majority of the time against double teams without much space. He would still be a factor, but he would not be having a season like the one he just had.

Playing a even front out of a 3-4 base is still different because the plays you call or still fit to a 3-4 personnel meaning you will have them doing some things with the blitz that you don't see in a base 4-3. Now I'm not disagreeing that Watt can still handle his on the inside, but from what I've seen he benefits heavily from blitzes and stunts rather than pure pass rush skill that everyone thinks he has. As a even front end I don't think he has the bend or hands to play out on the edge and as an interior lineman in the even front he won't will be asked to go straight ahead a majority of the time against double teams without much space. He would still be a factor, but he would not be having a season like the one he just had.

Agree to disagree I suppose. No football player operates in a vacuum- they all benefit in some way from the players around them. But in Watt's case, the rest of Houston's defense benefits way more from his play than vice versa. I also don't believe that there is a significantly higher rate of stunting and blitzing in a 4-2-5 nickel than there is in a 4-3 base. I don't perceive the differences that you're alluding to.

Agree to disagree I suppose. No football player operates in a vacuum- they all benefit in some way from the players around them. But in Watt's case, the rest of Houston's defense benefits way more from his play than vice versa. I also don't believe that there is a significantly higher rate of stunting and blitzing in a 4-2-5 nickel than there is in a 4-3 base. I don't perceive the differences that you're alluding to.

Just the fact that you are talking about personnel at that point, when you have 3-4 athletes (rush backers going to 5 techs and big ends like Watt going inside to 1 and 3 techs) your plays will be different because you are working with more athletic players usually which opens up more blitzing and stunts. In a base even front the athletes are build completely different typically your ends are more stout and don't move inside on nickel and your interior stays the same also on a nickel package so typically less athleticism and less stunting and blitzing.

I'm not claiming the talent of the players around Watt are making any significant impact on his performance, but really the system he is being used in. Again he can be a beast, I'm just saying you would not see seasons anywhere close to what he just had he just isn't that type of pass rusher.

Just the fact that you are talking about personnel at that point, when you have 3-4 athletes (rush backers going to 5 techs and big ends like Watt going inside to 1 and 3 techs) your plays will be different because you are working with more athletic players usually which opens up more blitzing and stunts. In a base even front the athletes are build completely different typically your ends are more stout and don't move inside on nickel and your interior stays the same also on a nickel package so typically less athleticism and less stunting and blitzing.

I'm not claiming the talent of the players around Watt are making any significant impact on his performance, but really the system he is being used in. Again he can be a beast, I'm just saying you would not see seasons anywhere close to what he just had he just isn't that type of pass rusher.

I can understand a Bears fan having this take on Watt as you guys contained him more effectively than anyone else last year. I only hope the Chargers can do something similar in week one.

I can understand a Bears fan having this take on Watt as you guys contained him more effectively than anyone else last year. I only hope the Chargers can do something similar in week one.

Ha actually my best friend is an athlete at Wisconsin so I've met J.J. and been following him since college and not saying I know more than anyone or anything just that he has never been the big-time pass rusher people make him out to be and as a coach I know the MANY factors that can inflate a player's performance. I believe he is a beast a certain things, but people tend to let a season really dominate their perspective and overlook the football side of it. I had a similar argument with EVERYONE last year with JPP after I said he wasn't that great of a pass rusher just a beast of an athlete who had room to grow and his season this year was no where near close to the one he had before.

Ha actually my best friend is an athlete at Wisconsin so I've met J.J. and been following him since college and not saying I know more than anyone or anything just that he has never been the big-time pass rusher people make him out to be and as a coach I know the MANY factors that can inflate a player's performance. I believe he is a beast a certain things, but people tend to let a season really dominate their perspective and overlook the football side of it. I had a similar argument with EVERYONE last year with JPP after I said he wasn't that great of a pass rusher just a beast of an athlete who had room to grow and his season this year was no where near close to the one he had before.

Well then I guess this season will be very telling for your perspective on Watt.

Well then I guess this season will be very telling for your perspective on Watt.

In Wade Phillip's system with a healthy Cushing adding another person to worry about...I think Watt will continue to dominate.

In Wade Phillip's system with a healthy Cushing adding another person to worry about...I think Watt will continue to dominate.

Well then I guess this isn't one we can really get to the bottom of. Because if your contention is that he wouldn't be nearly as good in a true 4-3, and he never plays in a true 4-3, how can we know?

But I will say that while Cushing coming back is a big boost, that front seven isn't without weaknesses. He doesn't have much at all next to him at NT, and the other three linebacker spots are pretty questionable. Watt, Smith, and Cushing are the only known quantities. I believe Reed is moving inside, so we'll have to see how that goes. And replacing Barwin will be Mercilus who has yet to show anything. And it should be a rookie across from him. Lots of questions.

Well then I guess this isn't one we can really get to the bottom of. Because if your contention is that he wouldn't be nearly as good in a true 4-3, and he never plays in a true 4-3, how can we know?But I will say that while Cushing coming back is a big boost, that front seven isn't without weaknesses. He doesn't have much at all next to him at NT, and the other three linebacker spots are pretty questionable. Watt, Smith, and Cushing are the only known quantities. I believe Reed is moving inside, so we'll have to see how that goes. And replacing Barwin will be Mercilus who has yet to show anything. And it should be a rookie across from him. Lots of questions.

Well this topic is a fantasy one pretty much so most of these guys we'll never know how they would fit to our team. Just thought it was interesting everyone flying to type in Watt's name.

Barwin wasn't that strong last year so his absence isn't that big of a loss. Mercilus the U of I product who I have seen a lot of has a ridiculous ceiling on his ability and could really step up. I don't like Reed moving inside but who knows and at this point you get some bodies to really occupy other guys on the line and try to get Watt in an open lane.

Unquestionably, Megatron. Can you imagine AP and Megatron on the same damn team? Maybe their stats wouldn't be as standout, but holy fuck would that be an outstanding offense.

They wouldn't be any better than they were this past year. You are going to go from personel build to pass 50 x a game to a power running game? That is fantasy.

and AD had 2000 rushing yards on a team with no passing offense, I really don't see how you don't think he'd be successful on a team with a passing game, he'd undoubtedly make the team better

there is absolutely no reason that I would take Darren Sproles or David Wilson over Adrian Peterson right now

Unquestionably, Megatron. Can you imagine AP and Megatron on the same damn team? Maybe their stats wouldn't be as standout, but holy fuck would that be an outstanding offense.

I approve. But wanted to comment on the 4-2-5 vs. 4-3 blitz thing. Its simple. Sending x/6 requires more stunting simply because you commonly remove an OLB in this package. Gotta be a little more creative since your down a potential blitzer. Pair that with ILBs liking stunts and the outer gaps being farther than the inner gaps. Viola, you have a system leaning more towards coverage than pressure, relying/using more stunts because the system is what it is.

If it wasn't a healthy Darrelle Revis, Jairus Byrd for me.

Calvin Johnson in a heartbeat.

If Mark Sanchez can't get the ball to that guy, we have a problem.