Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: Vikings signed Desmond Bishop

WHAT? 0-16? C'mon man where's the love? LOL. Two of my Packer friends texted me today and you know what they said? It's sloppy seconds! LOL. I said maybe so, but the Pack tend to leave quite a bit of tread on the tires of some of their players when they leave.. But you have to admit this was a solid move?

Just something to keep in mind. When Bishop first arrived in Green Bay, the Packers were running a 4-3 Bishop was the back up to Nick Barnett the starting MLB. So I would be surprised if he’s not being signed in order to solidify the MLB for us and avoid having to move Henderson out of his normal spot. If Bishop can provide a one year stop-gap while Mauti heals up and Hodges learns the NFL game, our defense will be looking solid for years to come. Low Risk, high potential reward. I Like it!

No offense, but your friends are crazy. Healthy, Bishop will do great things and it angers me he chose the Vikings. It's an arrow through the heart. One of my favorite players over since he came to Green Bay. He developed, grew, and gained his starting spot the long and hard way... The RIGHT way. Never the most gifted or highly touted out of college he dug into the playbook and worked his ass off.

Love that guy. :(

Great signing if all checks out with his hammy.

No offense, but your friends are crazy. Healthy, Bishop will do great things and it angers me he chose the Vikings. It's an arrow through the heart. One of my favorite players over since he came to Green Bay. He developed, grew, and gained his starting spot the long and hard way... The RIGHT way. Never the most gifted or highly touted out of college he dug into the playbook and worked his ass off.

Love that guy. :(

Great signing if all checks out with his hammy.

Crazy? Nah! Well yeah maybe a little. LOL. But they know what they lost, just like you said. I agree and I understand where your coming from, it pisses you off! But that's the business of the game. Really it was a no-brainer on Bishop's part when you think about it. He’ll have a chance to start, he doesn’t have to move very far, and the Vikings have one of the best trainers in the NFL in Eric Sugarman to help him recovery from the hamstring. Let's see...

Darren Sharper – Castoff in GB – Pro Bowler in MN

Ryan Longwell – Castoff in GB – Pro Bowler in MN

Brett Favre – Castoff in GB – Pro Bowler in MN

Maybe Bishop & Jennings know what time it is. LOL!

Jennings is going to tear is ACL in training camp and never play in the NFL again, so... I wouldn't count on him. :D

Jennings is going to tear is ACL in training camp and never play in the NFL again, so... I wouldn't count on him. :D

LOL! Okay man :p Ha Ha Ha Ha

I'm glad he didn't land with the Chiefs. Would have solved their one weak spot in the linebacking corps.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

haahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Ok, I'm done now...

Source: Marc Sessler @NFL.com

Desmond Bishop: Facing Rodgers perk of joining Vikes!

Desmond Bishop's decision to sign with the Vikings does more than add firepower to Minnesota's increasingly stout linebacking unit. The move also allows the former Green Bay Packer to face his old quarterback twice a year.

"It was part of the reason," Bishop told NFL Network's "NFL AM" on Tuesday. "And if I can get a chance to play against Aaron Rodgers, I think that right there, in itself, is a motivation. You know, you want to play against the best. ... When I was playing for Green Bay, the games I cherished ... most was playing against the Vikings because I had a chance to play against (running back) Adrian Peterson. ... That's my mindset. I want to play against the best."

Bishop agreed Monday to a one-year contract with the Minnesota Vikings after being cut by the Packers on June 17. He's being asked to shift from inside linebacker in Green Bay's 3-4 scheme to the Mike role in Minnesota, where he'll initially compete with Erin Henderson.

Play fantasy football on NFL.com

Why play fantasy football anywhere else? Play the official free fantasy football game of the NFL. Sign up today in under two minutes.

The Vikings will find a way to keep both players on the field, but after spending his college days at Cal in the 3-4, Bishop shrugged off concerns about the transition, calling himself an "athlete" who can "play any position and do it with success."

Bishop, who said he's "100 percent" after missing last season with a hamstring injury, cited his health as a primary factor for being cut free by the Packers.

"It was really just a numbers game, I suppose," Bishop said. "You know, it's a lot of uncertainty with me coming back off this injury, and the two guys who played -- A.J. Hawk and Brad Jones -- they did a really good job. ... Brad was up, so they had to make a move with him, and I guess they went with the sure bet ... which is understandable from a business standpoint, so I don't hold nothing against them.

Ha Ha Ha..I love it! :thumbup2:

Lol.. I don't know what's up with the Packers organization, but they always appear to rub their ex-players wrong. They all seem to join the Vikings just to smite the Packers lol.

Edited by dutchff7

Lol.. I don't know what's up with the Packers organization, but they always appear to rub their ex-players wrong. They all seem to join the Vikings just to smite the Packers lol.

The word you're looking for is "spite". And no, in the article Bishop kinda says how he is motivated by the chance to play against one of the league's best twice a year and cites his experiences against Peterson as an example.

The last sentence he also says he understands that his health was the likely reason for being cut and that he understands the business aspect of it and doesn't hold a grudge.

They always say that so there probably is some motivation to play against the team that cut him, but nothing more than any other similar situation.

Packers players don't go to the Vikings to spite us. They go there because that's where they think their best opportunity is.

Brett Favre: Went to Minnesota to win a Super Bowl (got to the NFCCG, good move on his part).

Greg Jennings: Went to Minnesota for more money (got a lot more money than we'd give him, good move on his part).

Desmond Bishop: Went to Minnesota to start at linebacker (will get the opportunity, good move on his part).

I think Minnesota offered Bish more money as well. Greg I think did do it out of spite though. lmao. Brett did probably a little, but you are right in saying the Vikings gave him the best chance to win a SB. Bishop, I don't really think it factored in so much. It doesn't appear that he is miffed and he has a good understanding of why it happened.

I think Minnesota offered Bish more money as well. Greg I think did do it out of spite though. lmao. Brett did probably a little, but you are right in saying the Vikings gave him the best chance to win a SB. Bishop, I don't really think it factored in so much. It doesn't appear that he is miffed and he has a good understanding of why it happened.

Pretty sure the Vikings offer was better than the Packers offer so I don't know how it was out of spite. We'll never know exactly what happened with the Packers offers but it was reported that at first they offered $10m/year, then withdrew it or something. Then offered $8m/year which was topped by the Vikings at over $9m/year, which I'll just assume is around $9.5m cuz I can't find the numbers.

Even though he makes more in the later years of his contract, assuming all works out as everyone hopes and he plays well throughout his contract, he'll have made ~$7m in total more with Minnesota than he would have with Green Bay. At a bonus of $7m, I would have chosen the Vikings too.

Also I forgot Ryan Longwell and Darren Sharper. I forget what their reasons were for leaving.. quite honestly I don't care though. About any of em. Go play where you wanna play is what I say. For all of em I'm more disappointed that they aren't with the Packers than that they are with the enemy team. Whether they play for Minnesota or Arizona or Miami, it doesn't matter to me.

The Packers offered Greg a bigger deal before he hit FA to keep him on the team. He declined it, thinking they lowballed him and then he hits FA and takes a lower deal than originally offered to play for our rival. He's a bitter and grudge-holding individual. He's a fake anyway. He's cool as long as things are going his way, and if they aren't he lets you know it. Granted he is usually more subtle than other diva WRs, but he is far from the great guy I figured he was.

Chad Greenway and Desmond Bishop :think: They may have something going on over there.

The Vikings will move Erin Henderson back to weak-side linebacker following the Desmond Bishop signing.

The Vikings are claiming Henderson and Bishop will "compete," but they didn't sign Bishop to man a position he's never played before (weak side). He'll be the Mike 'backer, and Henderson will start at Will and leave the field in sub-packages. Henderson's IDP value was once looking up, but no longer. Look for him to hover around the pedestrian 80 tackles he posted last year.

I can't say Jennings did it out of spite. IDK maybe..like going straight from the Pack to the Vikings. Not a year removed from the team like Favre to the Jets first, but straight from one team to the other. It is not like Jennings did what Favre did to the Pack right? The Favre divorce was a mess that never went away for few years.. Jennings divorce was kind of an easy one. Wouldn't you say? Really players signing with their rivals has been going on for decades. It makes for a more interesting rivalry IMO! :shrug:

Per Rotoworld.com:

Desmond Bishop opened training camp as the Vikings' first-team strong-side linebacker.

It was widely presumed Bishop would man the middle after the Vikings inked him in June, but they're giving Erin Henderson a shot to lock down "Mike" 'backer duties. Chad Greenway, typically a strong-side linebacker, will play on the weak side now if the new lineup sticks. There may be more shuffling in camp. Jul 25 - 4:21 PM

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

There's a definite lack of athelticism in the Vikings' LB corps. They all strike me as solid thumpers on early downs, but I don't see much coverage ability in the group.

Edited by KempBolt

This makes no sense to me. Move Bishop out of position.... move Greenway out of position... All to cater to Erin Henderson? What a crock. lol. Bishop is good enough to play those spots, but he belongs in the middle, IMO.

We'll see how it goes, though.

This makes no sense to me. Move Bishop out of position.... move Greenway out of position... All to cater to Erin Henderson? What a crock. lol. Bishop is good enough to play those spots, but he belongs in the middle, IMO.

We'll see how it goes, though.

Long history of Packers players flopping in Minnesota.

I hope Greg Jennings flops massively. I would be so happy. Haha. Dude is a fraud.

Lats week he says he left Green Bay (in part) because we have to much talent on the roster at his position and it didn't really give him the opportunities. Then this week, in an interview, while criticizing Aaron Rodgers' leadership qualities... he says he is all team first and "defers to the team" at all times. Lmao.

He tries to come across as this holier than thou attitude and it's all fake.

Desmond Bishop fights for spot on Minnesota Vikings

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000229407/article/desmond-bishop-fights-for-spot-on-minnesota-vikings

"You can't make the club from the tub."

Former Green Bay Packers linebacker Desmond Bishop is running up against that tried and true NFL training-camp maxim in his first summer with the Minnesota Vikings.

Since he didn't sign until late June, Bishop entered camp without the benefit of the Vikings' offseason program. Coach Leslie Frazier candidly acknowledged that he can't count on Bishop after the linebacker missed the preseason opener with a groin injury.

"This is going to determine whether or not he makes our team," Frazier said Tuesday via The Star Tribune. "So much of this is about how he plays over the next two weeks. Or if he's not available because of his injury. I can't say it any simpler than that. It's a big two weeks for him. He needs to show us he can help our football team in order to make our team."

Frazier has noticed "a cleverness" to Bishop's play. The Vikings believe he can be effective against the run and hold his own in coverage if he's fully healthy. The question is whether Frazier can count on Bishop to stay out of the trainer's room now that it's been a year and a half since the linebacker last suited up for a game.

"This is the NFL," Frazier explained. "If a guy can't be available, he really can't help your team. As talented as he may be, you need guys who are available."

Hopefully Bishop can get healthy because I believe he can make a football team better when he's on the field.