Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Subtract modern media, and how great is LeBron?

The Question  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How great is LeBron without constant media scrutiny?

• As good as he's already considered--still not in the MJ discussion.
    • In the MJ discussion--for several years now--but still not quite there.
    • Easily in the MJ discussion, and a good amount of people think he's better.
    • Because of his overall game, he's already considered a better player.

Answer the poll, make a post. I'm really interested in this idea.

I took the third option because I'm already considering whether or not I'd take his overall game over Jordan's high scoring ways and tenacious defense.

I put where he is now. In the discussion, but doesn't have the overall body of work to match up. I do think that his current level of play stacks up pretty well when compared to Jordan though.

He's definitely in that discussion, but it's going to be one of those things where we can never truly compare the two. The eras just don't compare favorably.

I really don't want imagine Lebron in a gritty, fisticuffs style NBA where everybody is chippy and he has to fight to get to the rim like he loves to do against much larger and dominant inside players.

I respect both players and enjoy watching Lebron play... But I think Jordan can transcend eras where Lebron could not, and thus he will always have the edge in my book. Winning 15 titles wouldn't change my mind, I don't think.

I mainly want to know how we view him without analysts constantly criticizing him. I think people hear the talking heads and their opinions begin to subconsciously form.

It isn't just constant scrutiny though. The thing with Lebron and this age of social media is that the opinion of him changes every single day. Sometimes he is the GOAT, sometimes he is a choke artist who can't get it done. Thus, I think your premise of constant scrutiny is somewhat faulty. It all depends on the day.

He's in the top 10 looking in the top 5. I've seen/watched/read enough of Jordan to say he isn't there. Shaq, Duncam and Kareem are all better then him imo. Next year if he manages to have another great season i'll probably be singing a different tune...

He's in the top 10 looking in the top 5. I've seen/watched/read enough of Jordan to say he isn't there. Shaq, Duncam and Kareem are all better then him imo. Next year if he manages to have another great season i'll probably be singing a different tune...

I'd say The Dream was better than the three you listed. Definitely Shaq.

I've only seen highlights of The Dream, never even seen any games on NBA TV, so I couldn't comment on him.

He dominated Shaq in their matchups, and is widely considered the greatest center of all time. I haven't seen so much that I can definitively say that, but from what I understand, he was better than Shaq.

He dominated Shaq in their matchups, and is widely considered the greatest center of all time. I haven't seen so much that I can definitively say that, but from what I understand, he was better than Shaq.

I thought Russell usually gets the nod for all time... :shrug: ... or maybe wilt.

I do think Olajuwon was better than Shaq, but its not like it was a huge difference. Shaq and Hakeem were both dominant players in their primes.

Edited by GA_Eagle
  • Upvote 1

What? facepalm.gif

Bill Russell is widely considered the best center of all-time. Hakeem only dominated Shaq when Shaq was just entering the league.

I'd put Russell, Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt above Hakeem and while stats don't really mean shit - Shaq does have the upper hand over The Dream.

In 20 regular season matchups, Shaq has gotten the better of Hakeem, leading his teams to 14 wins and six losses. Shaq’s numbers against Hakeem are also more impressive—he averaged 22.1 points on 54.4 percent shooting, 12.4 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 0.9 steals and 1.8 blocks.
  • Upvote 1

IDK. Prime Shaq was the most dominant player I have ever seen. I know for a fact he's not as skilled as Russell, Kareem, or The Dream... But he really did look like a man among boys when he played.

• Upvote 1

Does Bill Russell get the nod because he actually was better or because he has an absurd amount of rings?

Does Bill Russell get the nod because he actually was better or because he has an absurd amount of rings?

Does Hakeem get the nod because he actually was better or because he played for your favorite team?

And Zack, that's because he could end up better than Jordan. He might not (and probably won't) end up there, but it's not possible to already say he can't.

Edited by blotsfan

I said he's been in the discussion for years but still not quite there. Will he ever be? Probably not, him joining forces with Wade and Bosh via free agency would eliminate any possibility of him equaling or surpassing MJ imo, unless he gets a lot better and becomes clearly the best ever. The man is a freak. We won't see anything like LeBron James...maybe ever, but Jordan was just...Jordan.

• Upvote 1

He could, but in my opinion he never will. So there should be an option for like-minded people such as JD.