Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

US Will Spend $7 Billion Powering Africa

President Obama pledged $7 billion today in support for building a more reliable electric power grid in sub-Saharan Africa.

Two-thirds of the population of sub-Saharan Africa lacks access to electricity.

The so-called “Power Africa” initiative will invest the US funds over the next five years to change that.

“ Access to electricity is fundamental to opportunity in this age. It’s the light that children study by, the energy that allows an idea to be transformed into a real business,” Obama said while speaking to students at Cape Town University in South Africa today. “It’s the lifeline for families to meet their most basic needs, and it’s the connection that’s needed to plug Africa into the grid of the global economy,”

The program will focus initially on will include Ethiopia, Kenya, Liberia, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda and Mozambique.

Forbes

I don't really understand this. It's a... nice gesture, I guess?

I mean, our government is rich so NBD.

Sure, spend 7 billion helping Africa.

Not like we have homeless all over the country and god knows how many without jobs.

• Upvote 1

Sure, spend 7 billion helping Africa.

Not like we have homeless all over the country and god knows how many without jobs.

Haven't we learned over the years they could careless about our problems. The sad reality is most of homeless are military veterans.

Obama's father was born in Africa too. To really understand Obama I have always heard he has had this need to fulfill fatherly dreams or some BS like that. That's a large amount of what the movie "2016; Obama's America" is about. It's actually a bit frightening if you delve into a lot of this stuff too.....and the roots of Obama.

Which really means nothing to many citizens of the United States but who seems to care anyway anymore because obviously the man is popular and became President twice and has people falling all over him at times everywhere he goes.

/small rant off

Edited by Jules

Guest Phailadelphia

There's a lot of foreign aid expenditures out there. This one I'm much more okay with than most of the others.

Obama's father was born in Africa too. To really understand Obama I have always heard he has had this need to fulfill fatherly dreams or some BS like that. That's a large amount of what the movie "2016; Obama's America" is about. It's actually a bit frightening if you delve into a lot of this stuff too.....and the roots of Obama.

Which really means nothing to many citizens of the United States but who seems to care anyway anymore because obviously the man is popular and became President twice and has people falling all over him at times everywhere he goes.

/small rant off

The only thing frightening about 2016: Obama's America is that people buy into the nonsense in that "documentary."

Edited by Phailadelphia

/small rant off

Hey, he owes his father a lot. Those intelligence ties proved to be valubale, he may have wound up as the PM of Indonesia or the President of Kenya instead if he didn't get so easily implanted into the US. :laugh:

The only thing frightening about 2016: Obama's America is that people buy into the nonsense in that "documentary."

It's not the only thing I was talking about or hinting about in terms of doing your own research. It was just a small example because so much is OUT THERE for us to decipher. It's no secret about Obama's past to us anyway and the controversies/conspiracies that often can arise...not everything is the truth that is presented to us. We have to do our own research as individuals.

Sorry, just get so pissed off at times when it comes to politicians too....so much is corrupt. So many lies....so much evil behind the scenes. :(

Edited by Jules
  • Upvote 2

Hey, he owes his father a lot. Those intelligence ties proved to be valubale, he may have wound up as the PM of Indonesia or the President of Kenya instead if he didn't get so easily implanted into the US. :laugh:

I would have possibly preferred that to happen. :corn:

You know when it comes to religion I find myself pretty tolerant to everything even if I do not agree with it, and can find beauty in so much. But, when it comes to politics I find myself often full of hate....for so many years. Sigh.

This government....I don't even know what to say at times and how to express it into words. It's not just the Africa thing either. It's EVERYTHING. So much is not for the benefit of this country getting stronger either in the long haul no matter what BS they feed us in the media by all those talking heads who worship anything that comes out of the White House.

Edited by Jules

Well, don't worry... You aren't the only one upset.

JOHANNESBURG — Police fired rubber bullets and a stun grenade into a crowd of hundreds of protesters before President Obama arrived at the University of Johannesburg on Saturday.

The crowd quickly scattered as police officers walked up the street pushing protesters away with shot guns.

"I feel my rights are being infringed," said 24-year-old Bilaal Qibr, who was at the protest. "We can't protest anymore. Personally, I feel like this is an extension of the U.S."

Protests have been planned at the university over Obama's visit and the news that he was to receive an honorary doctorate Saturday.

"They don't believe Obama deserves that award. The U.S. position and its relationship with Israel has created a problem," said Levy Masete, president of the Student Representative Council. "The students say, 'Stop the oppression in Palestine,' and you want to honor this man who is making this oppression possible."

"He's here for our African resources," said Nomagugu Hloma, 19, a student at what she called the "sell out" university. "Hands off our gold, oil, diamonds and land," she said.

USA Today

• Upvote 1

Well, don't worry... You aren't the only one upset.

USA Today

Now that is refreshing. Thanks for posting. I sometimes think it is possible that Obama is losing some of his initial popularity and I have been wrong about this? Tough to tell...I mean who the hell knows anymore what is the truth.

Sure must be nice to spend 100 million on a trip to Africa too. :yep:

Guess what!!! George W. Bush is in Africa too!!! It's a fucking party over there. :corn: :corn: :corn: All we need now is Bill Clinton. :party:

http://www.boston.com/news/world/africa/2013/07/01/obama-bush-heading-the-same-african-city/8KzRYeOlNodUivB9aDJ6MO/story.html

I don't know, I don't think it takes much to bug me when it comes to politicians. Oh and the media too...oh my do I get angry over them. They paint these men at times as FREAKING SAINTS.

Edited by Jules

Ya, I think the Obama honeymoon may finally be over. There will always be the propaganda warped minds out there that worship him, but it seems to have died down quite a bit. Although, now that he doesn't have to worry about re-election, he can do whatever he wants without worrying about public perception.

George is over there too? What is this, a CIA reunion?

• Upvote 1

It's a nice gesture, sure, but we don't have any business spending 7 billion dollars in foreign aid when we have, what, 14 trillion in debt? Can we start fixing our own nation first?

Man it would be awesome to have the fiscal flexibility the government has. They are the only entity I know that can spend money they dont have when they are like 100K in debt per capita in their country.

jackie-chan-wtf-meme.jpg

• Upvote 1

Why can't African countries just save up money needed to establish electric grids in their own countries? :shrug:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Hey, GWB wanted to fulfill his fathers dreams as well. Dispose Saddam Hussein. Maybe our next President will not have such aspirations and focus on the American Dream.

I'm glad we're giving aid that's not a military action to another nation, but as mentioned above - couldn't that money be spent on fixing problems here at home?

• Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

Why can't African countries just save up money needed to establish electric grids in their own countries? :shrug:

You have to make money to save money. Tell me, what resources and labor force do African countries have to offer to potential businesses?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You have to make money to save money. Tell me, what resources and labor force do African countries have to offer to potential businesses?

There are a lot of natural resources (various such as petroleum, natural gas, diamonds, cobalt, iron ore, etc.) that they have to offer, plus it's not like everyone in Africa is fuckin stupid or can't read or write.

Research would tell you these things Taylor! :facepalm:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Yes Taylor! Why do you not do research to tell you these things? Come on, bro. Clearly the entire world has got it wrong, which you can clearly see from these graphs I have made here while doing my research.

I have two excellent sources, as well, Bleacher Report and Wikipedia. Clearly Africa just needs to buckle up and raise themselves out of the gutter.

African nations have plenty of (natural) resources, I assure you that. We wouldn't be there (or plan on being there) if they didn't. Do they have the capabilities to just go and gather all of these resources and put together their own electrical / power grid? Doesn't appear that way. But make no mistake... They have something we want.

• Upvote 1

African nations have plenty of (natural) resources, I assure you that. We wouldn't be there (or plan on being there) if they didn't. Do they have the capabilities to just go and gather all of these resources and put together their own electrical / power grid? Doesn't appear that way. But make no mistake... They have something we want.

:yep:

I just don't understand why America has to build all their roads, bridges, electrical grid, etc for them, when they can start governing themselves better and make those investments from their own financial resources that they gain from exporting their own natural resources! :yep:

:yep: