• Marvin Lewis
    • Rex Ryan
    • Jim Schwartz
    • Gary Kubiak
    • Mike Munchak
    • Ron Rivera
    • Greg Schiano
    • Tom Coughlin

We will find out very quickly if the soft decisions that followed our offense was John fox or mike McCoy and if it is fox he may be gone. There is no reason why we shouldn't smoke every team in the AFC this year

Even if it changes, is still could have been (and probably was) the head coach's call. He may just have learned. And it's been Fox's MO to be conservative throughout his career.

And there is one big reason why you shouldn't smoke every team in the AFC this year- parrity. The Broncos are one of the best teams in the league, but not as dominant as you make them out to be. The 7-9 Chargers had a 24 lead on them at halftime and it took all of Norv Turner's help for Denver to retake the lead and win the game.

Maybe it's just me, but if a coach can get you to that point, i don't think i'd fire him fo making a mistake that costs you a trip to the next round.

There's WAY too many coaches out there that cant' get to that level to begin with, that I think you have to trust that Fox learned his lesson.

Unless Peyton gets him fired.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

Maybe it's just me, but if a coach can get you to that point, i don't think i'd fire him fo making a mistake that costs you a trip to the next round.

There's WAY too many coaches out there that cant' get to that level to begin with, that I think you have to trust that Fox learned his lesson.

Unless Peyton gets him fired.

~Bang

Especially when there are way more deserving culprits to blame for the loss, like the inability of the Denver pass rush, or the blowing of coverage in the secondary.

Rex Ryan is definitely on the hot seat. The only thing worse in his case than being on the hot seat is the fact that the owners are basically setting him up to fail in the start of a "rebuilding" phase for the Jets. At least the way I look at it. I don't see any scenario other than Sanchez going out and performing like a top tier QB where he's their QB next season. Much less, I don't see any scenario other than a playoff berth that gets Rex Ryan past this year as the head coach of the New York Jets.

Jim Schwartz has to be on the hot seat at this point as well. Regardless of what people think of Stafford, he's a talented Quarterback and he can lead that team to wins. With that said, the Lions had a great season a couple of years ago and the expectations were rightfully high. Schwartz didn't deliver. The coaching in Detroit was terrible. If he can't produce a winning season, even in the tough division they are in, I don't think he makes it through next off season with a job.

Under the list of other, I honestly believe that Mike Smith of the Atlanta Falcons is going to be on the hot seat this year. Atlanta has given Smith everything he's needed to be successful and he's yet to deliver. We can blame Matt Ryan or we can blame the defense, but truthfully, there has been some extremely poor game management both in big games and in the playoffs. It's time for Mike Smith to deliver, last year a big excuse was that there was no running game because Turner was on the decline, we added Steven Jackson. I'm confident Jackson has enough gas left in the tank to provide the ground game the Falcons need to dominate on offense. There are a lot of coaches in the league that can take a bad team and make it good, the great coaches are those who can take a good team and get them over the hump to win a championship.

It seems I hold success to a way higher standard than you and hold higher expectations of the word.

Not sure if you meant for this comment to come off as snobbish, but I guess that's either here nor there. I hold success to a high standard, but I also place it within a perspective relative to the team in question. Kind of an "expectations - results" dynamic. If the Browns went to back-to-back Wild Cards and lost, it would still be viewed as a successful pair of seasons when looking at the last decade they have suffered through, because the expectations of success are still pretty low to most fans. The Pats suddenly not making the playoffs a couple years in a row would likely be viewed as a failure in more than a few people's eyes. Those fans are very used to winning, giving them a justifiably shorter fuse when they start to see a negative trend.

Because of the recent up-tick in playoff appearances, sure it's possible that more Cincy fans are becoming used to the winning culture, but I doubt it's still considered an expectation for most at this point in time. But I don't have my finger on the pulse of that fan base, so this is just speculation and I could be completely off base.

You consider 3 consecutive play off appearances as historic regardless if they lose or not. It might be statistically but losing in the first round all three times is far from praiseworthy; especially considering the fact that they have a team that is good enough to win some games.

Because for the Bengals as a franchise, it would be. Again, I'm using perspective by looking at his whole body of work and observing how much better his team has become in recent years. I'm not saying a loss in the playoffs this year wouldn't be worthy of a call for more pressure on Lewis next year. It would be. I just don't think it wouldn't warrant a firing.

I think you pretty much countered your own second paragraph with what's in bold. You can't hold teams to exceptions when it comes to winning games. Underdogs come out on top all the time. The team with the better game plan and executes better wins the game. All you have to do is be better than the other team on that day. Any team can beat any other team on any given day in the NFL. Making team exceptions is lame. Just find a way to win. That's what the good coaches do.

Hardly.

2005 - Loss to the eventual SB champs (at home)

2009 - Loss to the eventual AFC runner-up (at home)

2011 - Loss to Texans (on the road)

2012 - Loss to Texans (on the road)

The point I was trying to make, while acknowledging the "any given Sunday" mantra, was that the Bengals haven't seen a cake walk in their match-ups, and responsibility for their losses shouldn't be completely placed at the coach's lap. Regardless of the fact that it can happen, doesn't make it a frequent occurrence. Out of 52 WC games since 2000, only 19 away teams won... roughly 3:1 odds against, and nowhere near "all the time". Lame or not, the numbers show that it's an uphill battle for road teams. The first 2 losses, while at home, were to teams that pushed deep into the post-season, also a detail that should be put into perspective.

When I look down that list all the head coaches are on the hot seat to some degree or another, and to an extent you can include any head coach in that bracket, in that the NFL is a results based induatry - if you get them, great; but if you don't, you're generally shown the door quite quickly. Any on that list could go, heck, all could if they fail.

Ron Riveria has a make or break season. We've been 6-10 and 7-9. We've lost some close games due to our inability to close out games. I believe we'll have a good season, but if we are sub .500 he'll be gone. He clung to his job this off season, so anything less than a winning season could see him fired. After all there are a lot of potential candidates for a job that has a team with lots of potential.

As for Mike Munchak, he's the one guy on that list I wouldn't say is in a make or break season. Look at the Titans and Jeff Fisher. He had his bad runs from time to time (eg 2004 and 2005 they were terrible), yet they stuck with him. Munchak has been around the Titans for a while, and in his first season they narrowly misses out on the play offs. I think he'll have another couple of seasons because they are still developing a highly talented prospect QB in Jake Locker.

After the money the increasingly crazy Bud Adams spent this offseason, I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Munchak be the first guy canned during the season if things go bad.

Not sure if you meant for this comment to come off as snobbish, but I guess that's either here nor there. I hold success to a high standard, but I also place it within a perspective relative to the team in question. Kind of an "expectations - results" dynamic. If the Browns went to back-to-back Wild Cards and lost, it would still be viewed as a successful pair of seasons when looking at the last decade they have suffered through, because the expectations of success are still pretty low to most fans. The Pats suddenly not making the playoffs a couple years in a row would likely be viewed as a failure in more than a few people's eyes. Those fans are very used to winning, giving them a justifiably shorter fuse when they start to see a negative trend.

Because of the recent up-tick in playoff appearances, sure it's possible that more Cincy fans are becoming used to the winning culture, but I doubt it's still considered an expectation for most at this point in time. But I don't have my finger on the pulse of that fan base, so this is just speculation and I could be completely off base.

Because for the Bengals as a franchise, it would be. Again, I'm using perspective by looking at his whole body of work and observing how much better his team has become in recent years. I'm not saying a loss in the playoffs this year wouldn't be worthy of a call for more pressure on Lewis next year. It would be. I just don't think it wouldn't warrant a firing.

I didn't mean for it to come off as snobbish and you shouldn't take it that way. This all boils down to our perspective (as you noted several times) of success. You see the Bengals making the play offs as success. I saw it as progress. The success hasn't come yet in my eyes but you believe differently. That's why I said I hold the word in higher standards which is all a matter of our opinion of the word. Apologies if it came off the wrong way. That wasn't my intent.

Hardly.

2005 - Loss to the eventual SB champs (at home)

2009 - Loss to the eventual AFC runner-up (at home)

2011 - Loss to Texans (on the road)

2012 - Loss to Texans (on the road)

The point I was trying to make, while acknowledging the "any given Sunday" mantra, was that the Bengals haven't seen a cake walk in their match-ups, and responsibility for their losses shouldn't be completely placed at the coach's lap. Regardless of the fact that it can happen, doesn't make it a frequent occurrence. Out of 52 WC games since 2000, only 19 away teams won... roughly 3:1 odds against, and nowhere near "all the time". Lame or not, the numbers show that it's an uphill battle for road teams. The first 2 losses, while at home, were to teams that pushed deep into the post-season, also a detail that should be put into perspective.

The losses absolutely fall on the coaches lap. I don't know who else it's going to fall on. If Mike Brown were to have a meeting with Lewis to discuss an overview of Lewis's tenure there and playoffs came into discussion, Lewis can't say "We lost to 4 good teams in the playoffs" as if that should excuse him. At some point, you have to win regardless of who your opponent is. That's what the good coaches do. And if he misses the play offs and has another one and done, I think he should be gone so the Bengals can find someone to get some post season success out of that talented team. Play off wins and progression in the playoffs is all that matters at the end of the day. That's my opinion and I firmly stand behind it.

Like I already said, apparently it seems we will agree to disagree on the matter. We have two contrasting opinions. I believe what I believe and you believe what you believe. I respect that. It's really no point to continue typing paragraphs at each other at this point.

Edited by dutchff7

Jason Garrett: Jerry loves a yes-man so he will stay forever

Marvin Lewis: honestly don't know how this guy is still a coach

Rex Ryan: definitely on the hot-seat with the Jets going through a rebuilding phase

Jim Schwartz: pretty much out the door already, barring a Super Bowl appearance this season

Gary Kubiak: the safest of the coaches...just came off his best season, and that team is only going to get better

Mike Munchak: hasn't had much to work with, so hard to tell how well he will truly do...needs more time and stability at the QB position

Ron Rivera: has potential-franchise QB in Cam Newton and needs to start delivering sooner rather than later

Gary Kubiak needs to actually do something in the playoffs or I can see him getting fired. The Texans have been considered one of the most talented teams in the AFC the past few years, but don't have much to show for it. It's time for them to take the next step.

There were rumors that Ron Rivera was going to get fired last year so there's no doubt in my mind that he is on a very short leash in Carolina.

Jim Schwartz is probably considered on the hot seat too, but it's going to be really tough for him to get the Lions in the playoffs being in the NFC North.

John fox. If his decisions cost us another Super Bowl berth he may be gone

Your playoff loss to the Ravens was not too different then several playoffs losses the Colts had under Manning/Dungy.

It was actually pretty deja vu at times for me to watch.

Its tough for me to say, because I like the guy as a person. But Rivera is gone if the Panthers don't make the postseason. Which is going to be hella tough. But honestly, I think he was set up not to succeed here. Gettleman probably wants his own coach anyway, and this way he can fire Rivera if he fails to bring them to the postseason with the terrible salary cap issues left behind by Hurney that kept the Panthers from really bringing in talent in FA.

Edited by Thanatos19

Its tough for me to say, because I like the guy as a person. But Rivera is gone if the Panthers don't make the postseason. Which is going to be hella tough. But honestly, I think he was set up not to succeed here. Gettleman probably wants his own coach anyway, and this way he can fire Rivera if he fails to bring them to the postseason with the terrible salary cap issues left behind by Hurney that kept the Panthers from really bringing in talent in FA.

It sucks that the Panthers weren't able to capitalize on free agents this offseason. I think the Panthers would have drawn some interest and if they were able to pick up 1-2 quality players, it would have made a huge difference; especially on offense.

Dark Horse Candidate - John Fox

My rationale is simple. Denvers meltdown in the playoffs to baltimore at home left denvers fans, players and management with a sick feeling. Many people have questioned fox's conservative playcalling all throughought the offseason.

You have Manning at QB and you dont even let him pass the ball to win the game, etc... The whole 3 yards and a cloud of dust play style that John Fox coaches is obsolete in todays NFL.

If Denver makes it to the playoffs again and has another Meltdown at home, I guarantee you that Elway will can Fox.

Guaranteed? No way.

Is it possible if Denver has another home meltdown? Sure. But far from guaranteed.

The Broncos loss in the playoffs was very circumstantial. They could have easily won that game if it wasn't for the safety Rahim Moore. However, I don't agree with the conversative call afterwards to take the knee when you have an all-time great at QB.

The Broncos loss in the playoffs was very circumstantial. They could have easily won that game if it wasn't for the safety Rahim Moore. However, I don't agree with the conversative call afterwards to take the knee when you have an all-time great at QB.

You could also say it was circumstantial that it was even close. Two ST touchdowns is pretty much an anomaly- take those away and you have a borderline blow out.

You could also say it was circumstantial that it was even close. Two ST touchdowns is pretty much an anomaly- take those away and you have a borderline blow out.

True. We can always talk hypotheticals but that blown coverage with 35 seconds left was just ridiculous and easily avoidable.

True. We can always talk hypotheticals but that blown coverage with 35 seconds left was just ridiculous and easily avoidable.

Saying "what if they hadn't allowed the 70 yard touchdown" is no less hypothetical than saying "what if they hadn't scored 14 points via special teams."

Actually, I bet that if Vegas had placed odds on both 14 pts via returns and a 70 yd touchdown pass, the odds would have been better for the latter.

Edited by KempBolt

Saying "what if they hadn't allowed the 70 yard touchdown" is no less hypothetical than saying "what if they hadn't scored 14 points via special teams."

Actually, I bet that if Vegas had placed odds on both 14 pts via returns and a 70 yd touchdown pass, the odds would have been better for the latter.

I know, that's why I said "we" can talk hypotheticals.

I know, that's why I said "we" can talk hypotheticals.

I see. The way your post came off ("We can talk hypotheticals, but...") made me think that you were saying the ST stuff is hypothetical, but the 70 yd bomb isn't. I getchya now.

The more I see Rex Ryan implode has me inclined to believe he's under a lot of pressure and he's definitely on the hotseat.

If Greg McElroy or Matt Simms can somehow see the field... Simms is gonna take New York to the promised land. :D

I've convinced myself that if we end up sucking this year Shwartz is a goner for real. Somewhat of wishful thinking as well.

I don't blame you. With the talent that is on your roster, you guys should be winning way more games. Anything less then the playoffs should get him canned in my opinion.