Thanatos

Carolina Panthers: State of the Franchise

Honestly Than, I think kicking the field goal was the smart decision. I know if you convert it's game-over, but if you don't the bills get the ball the the 30 and only need a field goal to tie it up. Making us drive 80 yards for a touchdown is a good strategy, it just didn't work. You saw how close it was though with that interception.

Of course, I know this sort of loss has become SOP for the panthers so I get your frustration.

The issue is, we have Cam Newton. He had to lay down and he gets 2 yards.

The other issue is, we had five defensive starters out to injury at that point. Stats say to go for it.

Stats say to go for the 4th and 1 against Atlanta instead of punting it as well.

Rivera doesn't have the guts to make a call against the "standard" because he's deathly afraid of what will happen if it doesn't work.

I'd rather have you guys going for just a FG because then our defense won't just sit back and play complete prevent the whole time.

The Panthers are still a dangerous team if they just get it all together. I am doubting though the coaching staff. Too many close losses imho means that they aren't coaching the team to "win". Just my opinion.

I was at the Bills/Panthers game and as soon as 4th and 1 came I said, "If it was my decision I would go for it here." The Panthers were running at will against that Bills defense in the fourth quarter. Yes if you don't convert you give them the ball but you're giving them the ball off the kickoff anyway with relatively ten less yards.

Yeah they would just need a field goal but Carpenter had missed a 42-yard field goal earlier in the game and at that point you go to overtime instead of losing off the field goal followed by touchdown combination.

I mean I'm glad they didn't because it led to it being the best football game I've ever been to but still....I definitely agree with Thanatos. It was a pussy decision by Rivera.

The Panthers are still a dangerous team if they just get it all together. I am doubting though the coaching staff. Too many close losses imho means that they aren't coaching the team to "win". Just my opinion.

Nope. Not just your opinion.

It's a damn fact at this point.

Newton hasn't really impressed me yet in the two weeks we've seen. He just doesn't look like his normal self, then again, we are only 2 weeks in.

I'm amazed how this Carolina defense looks and plays with an injury riddled secondary. I mean, I think they were to the point this past Sunday where they had to dip into their active safeties to find someone to play corner in a NICKEL package. I'll say it now, I was completely wrong about the defense coming into the season. Will they make the playoffs? I don't believe they will. But they are certainly a force on defense. The offense seems spotty.

We just can't get it together on both sides of the ball at the same time.

If you couple this defense with the offense last year or in Newton's rookie season, you would have a playoff team.

Well. Assuming they could close games. You'd either have a playoff team or an 0-16 team who scored a total of 16 less points than their opponents.

Pretty much right on the money with my prediction.

Nope.

Running Back. I don't agree with the running back assessment. You cannot blame the running backs for the Scheme. Our running backs did most of their damage after Carolina scrapped the read option. This is a solid strength and this season Carolina will be top 5 again in rushing.

Rofl.

Oh yeah and if you still think the Kuechly is the best LB in the league, well, I will let Favre deal with that.

Edited by Thanatos19

Pretty much right on the money with my prediction.

Go home.

Eh, I am tired of talking about Luke. :laugh:

I said this in the shoutbox though... The Panthers may very well be the only team in the playoffs I root for. Obviously no division rivals... Saints must lose. Seahawks must lose. Pretty indifferent about the 49ers. Don't really want to see any team in the NFC E make it that far. And I almost never root for the AFC to win it all, so... Ya.

Panthers are the most fun team to watch right now, IMO. They have the dynamic and explosive offense (even though I still think they are somewhat susceptible in this area).. The defense is tough, stout, and makes opposing offenses lives a living hell. Who wouldn't want to watch the Panthers? :shrug:

I will admit I was wrong. I really thought their offensive prowess on their streak here was just a flash in the pan and they would be a huge liability to that awesome defense. They've kept it up, though, and there may not be a better team in the league.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I would love to see the Panthers have a chance to win it all if either Dallas or Seattle gets knocked out of the playoffs.

Matter of fact, I expect Carolina as the 5 seed to go to either Dallas or Detroit and win. Philadelphia and Chicago, if either uproots Dallas or Detroit, are much more dangerous. Philadelphia has the hottest young QB in the league, as well as the most electric RB in the NFC that actually has a chance to make the playoffs. Chicago has a QB who doesn't rely on one target, and a defense that I think will get better if they win some games on the way out.

I think Dallas could get on a roll but when the two wild cards come down to Carolina, San Fran, and Arizona...ouch. Just ouch. The WC teams are going to win their first round games this year in the NFC because the candidates for the 3 and 4 seeds epitomize the word fraudulent.

On that train of thought, we've got Carolina in the divisional round already (keep in mind, this is if they don't take the division from NO), with a chance to go to the most dangerous home fields in the NFL and shock everyone.

Such a dark horse. I love this team, but the potential limitations of their offense scares me.

Edited by BwareDWare94

The Panthers have a shot at the second seed with the way they're playing. If they can split the series with the Saints, they have a shot. If they sweep the series... then they're winning the South without a doubt.

The Panthers have a shot at the second seed with the way they're playing. If they can split the series with the Saints, they have a shot. If they sweep the series... then they're winning the South without a doubt.

Yeah, I acknowledged that further down in the post.

I picked Seattle, but New Orleans wins tonight, imo. I went with the safe pick, but I've just got a feeling about NOLA.

It'll definitely be a game to watch, and with Seattle down two corners I expect Brees to do some serious work. Still, I can't pick against Seattle at home, not with the style of team they have.

Actually, Razor, I don't think we do. I'm pretty sure someone has looked down the entire schedule and we have to take both games from Nawlins in order to take the series, unless the Saints drop an additional game to someone else.

Yeah, the Saints have conference record tiebreaker if they split and don't lose any other games (10-2 conference vs. 9-3)

One of my Panthers friends posted this analysis of the team:

I am a huge Panthers fan. I live in the Carolinas and I have cheered for the Panthers since their inaugural season. That said, I like to think that I'm a pretty good football analyst. I'm a student of the game. I've watched every game Panthers game in detail and broken down film on NFL Game Rewind. In my opinion, the Panthers have a really good team. The defensive front seven may be the best in the NFL. Because of that, they match up extremely well against the short passing game and the run. This is particularly evident in the red zone when teams can't throw over the top. As a result, the Panthers lead the league in fewest points surrendered. Their special teams are excellent with Ginn's return ability and they boast a powerful and consistent kicking game in Gano (k) and Nortman (p). In fact they are among the league leaders in unreturned kickoffs. Gano is excellent. However, the Panthers have two glaring weaknesses as a team. First, the secondary's lack of speed. Although they tackle well and are great 'read' guys, they are simply horrible at covering the deep ball. This poses no problem against most teams. The pass rush makes up for the weakness. But against teams like the Saints, Lions, or Broncos. They likely will get torched. In recent weeks, the Dolphins' Mike Wallace and the Bucs' Vince Jackson have exploited our slow corners, especially Captain Munnerlyn. I wince to think what Brees will do. And I shudder at the prospect of covering Calvin Johnson or D Thomas. We'd get hammered. The second weakness is Cam Newton's accuracy. No one really talks about this much because Cam's ball is beautiful in the air. He also throws well on the run. Not many QBs possess that ability. Not only that, but he is absolute money on one of the NFL's toughest patterns - the long out. For whatever reason, Cam has no trouble throwing the out. But a simple button hook? Cam consistently overthrows that pattern. My observation is that he drives the out pattern with the front foot. He also drives the ball when he throws on the run. But when he throws a crossing pattern or a button hook, he throws off the back foot. The ball goes high and is often tipped and up for grabs.

I have a feeling that the Saints are going to expose the Panthers secondary. If this is coupled with high throws from Cam. Then the Panthers win streak will end this Sunday night. Furthermore, if the deep ball chunking Lions and Eagles angle into the NFC playoffs, the Panthers road will look tougher than most suspect.

Whatever comes of this season, if the Panthers get a shutdown corner in the off season, their defense is going to be hellacious. All they need after that is an eight foot tall receiver to snag Cam's high throws and then they'll be set.

I pretty much agree as far as the weaknesses go. What do you guys think?

Edited by Thanatos19

I think he's spot on. I don't think anybody fears Cam as a dropback passer. It's pretty obvious that he's best when allowed to move.