Dutch

Defensive Acquisitions

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which defensive acquisitions do you believe will have the most impact or success?

• Darrelle Revis
    • Dashon Goldson
    • Elvis Dumervil
    • Michael Huff
    • Daryl Smith
    • Cliff Avril
    • Antoine Winfield
    • Dannell Elerbe
    • Brent Grimes
    • Keenan Lewis
    • Desmond Bishop
    • Osi umenyiora
    • Nnamdi Asomugha
    • Dominique Rodgers Cromartie
    • Cary Williams
    • Isreal Idonije
    • Michael Bennett

The title basically says it. The semantics between success and impact are fickle. So basically pick the acquisition you like the most; whether you believe the player will be very successful or if the player will have a huge positive impact on the team.

Edited by dutchff7

I have to roll with Revis. It's a gamble but if he returns healthy and back to form, that will vastly improve the Bucs team. The impact that Revis has on a defense is undeniable being able to shutdown opposing teams WRs and making it a 10 vs 10. He allows so much flexibility for a defense.

Some other guys I'm high on though is Antoine Winfield. He is the best slot corner in football and you add him to the best secondary in football and that spells trouble.

Also, I think Elvis Dumervil could possibly have a good year and surprise some people.

I have to roll with Revis. It's a gamble but if he returns healthy and back to form, that will vastly improve the Bucs team. The impact that Revis has on a defense is undeniable being able to shutdown opposing teams WRs and making it a 10 vs 10. He allows so much flexibility for a defense.

Some other guys I'm high on though is Antoine Winfield. He is the best slot corner in football and you add him to the best secondary in football and that spells trouble.

Also, I think Elvis Dumervil could possibly have a good year and surprise some people.

It will be interesting to see if revis returns to form, which he should and if playing in New York really kinda masked any weakness. We can easily say he was only challenged by New England in the division and that wasn't by a wr but by Brady and now he has to show up every single division opponent. I do expect him to stud out I'm just not sure it will happen right away as he regains confidence in his knee.

I don't agree Winfield is the best slot in the league but he is still a great corner if he can consistently stay healthy.

I was torn between Winfield and DRC. I think DRC is still loaded with potential, and if utilized correctly, Denver could really maximize his output and help us forget how little he's done recently.

On the other hand, Winfield is a stellar talent, even more so a veteran leadership figure on a very young secondary. I think his locker room presence will overshadow anything else. Oh, and he can still cover...so that now makes Seattle's secondary the deepest in the league, almost without debate. Ended up going with Winfield.

Edited by Phins4life

I was torn between Winfield and DRC. I think DRC is still loaded with potential, and if utilized correctly, Denver could really maximize his output and help us forget how little he's done recently.

On the other hand, Winfield is a stellar talent, even more so a veteran leadership figure on a very young secondary. I think his locker room presence will overshadow anything else. Oh, and he can still cover...so that now makes Seattle's secondary the deepest in the league, almost without debate. Ended up going with Winfield.

Yeah, I would go with the proven commodity as well. As for DRC, it would not surprise me at all if he turned around and had a great season. He showed some great flashes during his tenure with us. He just couldn't sustain being consistent. He athletically is one of the most gifted corners in the league. Probably only second to Patrick Peterson. He has the talent so it will be interesting to see if he flips the switch. Having Champ Bailey as a mentor is an awesome resource. He couldn't have landed in a better situation that can help his career.

Edited by dutchff7

Winfield's history is the only thing I don't like about him, he's healthy one year, misses ten games the next, healthy another year misses eight games and playing in the hardest hitting division isn't going to help

Revis would be the best bet. Literally a boom or bust signing. Has one year to prove himself. If he can stay healthy, he will have a huge impact on that Bucs defense as a whole. But obviously the homer inside me wants to say Aso :smug:

Revis would be the best bet. Literally a boom or bust signing. Has one year to prove himself. If he can stay healthy, he will have a huge impact on that Bucs defense as a whole. But obviously the homer inside me wants to say Aso :smug:

I'm going to go with revis because he signed a 100 million dollar contract with no garuanteed money that is built on him earning his money

I am going with Elvis. Could be just what the doctor ordered for Baltimore. Should fill in nicely.

I'll go with Grimes for the same exact reasons as everyone's giving for Revis. I think the Dolphins were slightly more desperate for cornerback help. And Grimes isn't as good as Revis, but he could have a huge impact if he plays like he did in 2011.

I think Michael Bennett (not an option) will have an enormous impact for Seattle. Bennett will likely be on the field a lot, as Seattle will use his versatility to the utmost. I'd guess he'll get plenty of snaps at the LEO position if Clemons goes on the PUP. That's a position he's well suited for and is the sack whore position on our defense. If not, he'll see a lot of 3 tech/5 tech (opposite Clemons).

Judging from the Bucs forums I visited after the signing, their level of anger at Tampa's losing him bodes well. He's a young, improving player who is going to have maximum opportunity to rush the passer in 1 on 1 situations.

He was Seattle's key signing this offseason in my estimation. We are lucky to have him in the fold again.

I think Michael Bennett (not an option) will have an enormous impact for Seattle. Bennett will likely be on the field a lot, as Seattle will use his versatility to the utmost. I'd guess he'll get plenty of snaps at the LEO position if Clemons goes on the PUP. That's a position he's well suited for and is the sack whore position on our defense. If not, he'll see a lot of 3 tech/5 tech (opposite Clemons).

Judging from the Bucs forums I visited after the signing, their level of anger at Tampa's losing him bodes well. He's a young, improving player who is going to have maximum opportunity to rush the passer in 1 on 1 situations.

He was Seattle's key signing this offseason in my estimation. We are lucky to have him in the fold again.

Yeah, I thought about Michael Bennett but with the list growing as large as it did, I just decided to put down the better DE acquisition (in my opinion) Cliff Avril. I added Bennett to the list if that's who you choose to pick.

Revis and Dashon are the only ones that were truly impressive as they were/are easily top 10 at their positions and arguably both top 5.

Grimes is up there, but he was gone almost the whole year and who knows how he'll come back from that. Smith and Doom were also pretty good additions.

But outside of those, IDT any of the other acquisitions were all that great. But the DRC and Nnamdi ones are kind of interesting.

Revis and Dashon are the only ones that were truly impressive as they were/are easily top 10 at their positions and arguably both top 5.

Grimes is up there, but he was gone almost the whole year and who knows how he'll come back from that. Smith and Doom were also pretty good additions.

But outside of those, IDT any of the other acquisitions were all that great. But the DRC and Nnamdi ones are kind of interesting.

:think:

Revis was the best CB in the league, not a arguable top 5/top 10 guy. I'm confident that he's going to be back in shape in the top 3 at worst when he comes back.

Revis was the best CB in the league, not a arguable top 5/top 10 guy. I'm confident that he's going to be back in shape in the top 3 at worst when he comes back.

I don't disagree that Revis was #1 when he went down and that Grimes was more in the 5-7 range. But I don't see how that changes their ability to come back from injury.

I just think he's going to have a bigger dropoff in performance then Revis due to injury if neither come back 100% (which they both probably won't).

50/50 on Revis as he is going to be facing 3 or 4 really good #1 receivers this year. Steve Smith, Roddy White, Julio Jones....he will be seeing one of those guys in 8 games this year. It could really expose him, especially coming off of an injury. But at the same time he could possibly shut down them all and look like the great CB he was before his injury.

Edited by BJORN

50/50 on Revis as he is going to be facing 3 or 4 really good #1 receivers this year. Steve Smith, Roddy White, Julio Jones, Vincent Jackson....he will be seeing one of those guys in 8 games this year. It could really expose him, especially coming off of an injury. But at the same time he could possibly shut down them all and look like the great CB he was before his injury.

Vincent Jackson is on his team. I said the same thing by accident not too long ago myself :laugh:

Edited by dutchff7

Agreed with this. If Bennett plays like he did last year, the Seahawks will be getting a very productive player. While I don't think he'll ever be an elite pass rusher, he can give you a solid pass rush and is excellent against the run. Plus, with all the depth they have at DE (Irvin, Clemons, Avril), he will be getting more snaps where he is fully rested.

I don't disagree that Revis was #1 when he went down and that Grimes was more in the 5-7 range. But I don't see how that changes their ability to come back from injury.

You had Brent Grimes in the 5-7 range before his injury? I'm not sure I ever even had him in my top 10. shrug.gif

Anyways, I went with Revis. Pretty obvious pick. Bucs had an historically bad pass defense last year and Revis is probably the best CB in the game. Even if he isn't 100% the player he used to be, it will still be a massive upgrade over what we had last year.

You had Brent Grimes in the 5-7 range before his injury? I'm not sure I ever even had him in my top 10. shrug.gif

Anyways, I went with Revis. Pretty obvious pick. Bucs had an historically bad pass defense last year and Revis is probably the best CB in the game. Even if he isn't 100% the player he used to be, it will still be a massive upgrade over what we had last year.

Oh most definitely. He was very good in 2010 and elite in 2011 IMO. Allowed one of, if not the lowest completion percentages into his coverage during his last healthy season.

But the reason I went with Grimes isn't because I like him better, but rather because I think the Dolphins needed help even more than the Bucs did at cornerback.

The Bucs corners minus Revis: Eric Wright, Johnthan Banks, Leonard Johnson, Anthony Gaitor, and Myron Lewis

The Dolphins corners minus Grimes: Richard Marshall, Jamar Taylor, Will Davis, Nolan Carroll, and R.J. Stanford

That's just how I approached these threads- not "who is the best player that was added" but rather where was the biggest combination of talent and need.

DRC has the most potential upside on the list I think. The Broncos' defensive backs coaches have done a crazy good job with Chris Harris and Tony Carter, who have half the physical gifts of DRC. If they can get DRC to turn the corner like those undrafted guys, look out.

Revis would clearly be my other pick, given a 100% healthy return. It's not often that you can pick up the best player in football in free-agency.

DRC has the most potential upside on the list I think. The Broncos' defensive backs coaches have done a crazy good job with Chris Harris and Tony Carter, who have half the physical gifts of DRC. If they can get DRC to turn the corner like those undrafted guys, look out.

Revis would clearly be my other pick, given a 100% healthy return. It's not often that you can pick up the best player in football in free-agency.

This is why I was pleased with the hiring of Ron Milus as the Chargers' secondary coach.