Minny

UPDATE: Von Miller Suspended 6 Games

Damn. This changes my entire outlook on the Colts season. That may sound a little over board, but is it? I mean, you're talking about a team that already had questions popping up with their pass rush. Now with the possibility that they may lose Von Miller for 4 games, who are they going to turn to in terms of producing pressure? They don't really have options in that aspect. They need Von Miller. Sure, you can say it's only 4 games but in the NFL today, 4 games could be the difference of making the playoffs.

I really hope he didn't do anything wrong to any serious extent. Hate seeing players throw away any chances of being a clean, dominant player.

Well if you ask HUMANCALC, this suspension will be enough to drop them to 12-13 wins. lolololol.

I think they still stand a very good chance of being 2-2 when he comes back (if it holds). It's going to make Baltimore and New York very tough games, but Oakland and Philadelphia should still be very winnable. And of course it could swing further either way- their offense could power them through one of these games that we might pick against them in, or their pass rush might be so lacking that they lose one of these games that still looks winnable.

But they started last season 2-2 as well. So if they manage to be .500 going into week 5, I think they're fine. Probably still go 11-5 at that point. It's if they lose 3 that things might get interesting. On this whole this offseason doesn't seem like it's setting up for a successful season.

Well if you ask HUMANCALC, this suspension will be enough to drop them to 12-13 wins. lolololol.

I think they still stand a very good chance of being 2-2 when he comes back (if it holds). It's going to make Baltimore and New York very tough games, but Oakland and Philadelphia should still be very winnable. And of course it could swing further either way- their offense could power them through one of these games that we might pick against them in, or their pass rush might be so lacking that they lose one of these games that still looks winnable.

But they started last season 2-2 as well. So if they manage to be .500 going into week 5, I think they're fine. Probably still go 11-5 at that point. It's if they lose 3 that things might get interesting. On this whole this offseason doesn't seem like it's setting up for a successful season.

Any team with an offense like that should easily go at least 2-2 with that schedule. The pass rush is certainly in rough shape right now with the loss of Doom and now possibly Von, but as you said, they should be able to at least give Oakland fits. Winning one of the other three is a given if this team is as good as they're being billed to be.

I don't know how much of an easy win Philly will be without getting into the backfield though. That go-go-go offense will be interesting to see. Still, It's not like Chip's Oregon team ran THAT many more plays than a couple of the offenses currently in the NFL.

I think I saw a stat that said they only averaged like 6 more plays per game than the Pats, who admittedly have a ridiculous offense. What I'm saying though is that it's not so outlandish to think Kelly's offense can succeed in the NFL. Plus, since it's probably gonna be Vick playing in that one, no pressure could spell d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r for Denver. I don't expect it to, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer than a lot of people think it'll be.

I formally predict that in fifteen years there will be an asterisk next to the first to fifth year statistics of a lot of the young defensive players in the NFL.

JJ Watt, Aldon Smith, Von Miller, Richard Sherman--I'm primarily looking at you four. Sherman already should have faced suspension.

Uh_wtf_gif.gif

So just to make sure that we're on the same level, Success = PED user?

Von Miller gets popped for drugs, Sherman gets popped for Adderall, so now all of a sudden every young good player is on PEDs?! Gimme a fucking break... :nope:

• Upvote 2

Any team with an offense like that should easily go at least 2-2 with that schedule. The pass rush is certainly in rough shape right now with the loss of Doom and now possibly Von, but as you said, they should be able to at least give Oakland fits. Winning one of the other three is a given if this team is as good as they're being billed to be.

I don't know how much of an easy win Philly will be without getting into the backfield though. That go-go-go offense will be interesting to see. Still, It's not like Chip's Oregon team ran THAT many more plays than a couple of the offenses currently in the NFL.

I think I saw a stat that said they only averaged like 6 more plays per game than the Pats, who admittedly have a ridiculous offense. What I'm saying though is that it's not so outlandish to think Kelly's offense can succeed in the NFL. Plus, since it's probably gonna be Vick playing in that one, no pressure could spell d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r for Denver. I don't expect it to, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer than a lot of people think it'll be.

That's the thing though. Part of the reason this team is billed to be so good is because the 2nd best player in the entire NFL from the 2012 season is their starting SOLB. Take him away and how good can they still be billed? We all know that every NFL is losable for every NFL team. It's just a sliding scale of "how losable." I think taking away Miller slides the Broncos down the scale considerably.

Take away Dumervil and Miller from the 2012 team, and the Broncos almost definitely lose week 6 against the Chargers, week 8 against the Bengals, week 10 against the Chargers, and week 12 against the Bucs. They would have been closer to 9-7 than 13-3.

My point here isn't that the Broncos' 2013 season is doomed. He's only out 4 games. But rather my point is that, for that 4 game stretch, anything is possible and coming out at .500 or better is no given.

It's not as though rookie defenders exploding onto the NFL scene is an entirely new phenomenon. The record holder for sacks in a rookie year is Kearse, and that was almost 15 years ago.

I still don't think Philly would be a problem. Especially if Vick's starting. He still does not read blitzes, he is completely lacking in the mental aspect of the game. Vick is a huge reason why he gets sacked so much. Our CBs are good enough to match up man to man across the board and Vick isn't accurate enough to do any real damage. Denver's defense will be prepared for a high tempo offense, Philly will be a good gauge to see where they're at. The defense will be going against an offense that is aiming to be the fastest offense in the NFL all throughout training camp.

If Philly were to beat us, LeSean McCoy would have to have a huge day. It's possible, but I think our LBs are still good enough to stop him. Even without Miller our defense is still fast and they pursue hard. Wesley Woodyard is a great LB, especially against a finesse team like Philly. I'm going to go ahead and say Nate Irving taking over at MLB will definitely help in absence of Von. Irving is very good at shooting gaps and is a good blitzer that plays with an aggressive attitude.

I'm more worried about losing to New York than I am Philly honestly.

Edited by SolomonGrundy

Does this mean he's out of the league in 2-3 years like Justin Blackmon? :troll:

Naw, but seriously, tough blow for Denver. After the whole Dumervil episode, now to lose Von for 4 games. The first two against the Ravens, and Giants, it'll hurt. Raiders and Eagles after, so not so much for those games.

But yeah, to be suspended 4 games it has to be a second or third offense.

If that thing about the NFL not suspending back in 2011 due to not wanting to derail Tebowmania is true... Wow. I'll need to see more to actually buy that, but just that there's smoke to that is disturbing.

Looks like he has found molly.

I have 0 knowledge of drugs or PEDs.

Whats a molly?

The NFL is targeting mid-August as an appeal date for Von Miller's four-game suspension.

It's rumored Miller was suspended four games for testing positive for marijuana and amphetamines during his rookie season in 2011, and then a recent positive test for MDMA powder known as "Molly." He insists he's done nothing wrong. The NFL will be sure to get this case resolved before the regular season.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

I have 0 knowledge of drugs or PEDs.

Whats a molly?

I didn't know either. Looking around online, it's apparently a highly refined form of ecstacy.

I didn't know either. Looking around online, it's apparently a highly refined form of ecstacy.

Purest refined form of MDMA. Powder and pill forms. Energy booster, euphoria, very mild hallucinations. Makes you sweat like crazy. Leaves you feeling anxious and nervous when it wears off. Tried it once, probably wouldn't again. It can be addictive for some people, but not all.

This is an interesting article on teams' dependence (or lack thereof) on pressure for their pass defense.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/2012-pressure-plays-defense

Interesting excerpt:

In light of recent news about Von Miller potentially being suspended for four games, Denver's stats might be cause for concern. No one pressured opposing quarterbacks more often than did the Broncos, and they were one of the most dependent on pressure for their overall pass defense efficiency. As Andy Benoit detailed in Denver's FOA 2013 chapter, the 2012 Broncos featured the second-most efficient third down defense since 1991 (-47.8% DVOA). Against third down passes, their -66.8% DVOA was the best since 2001. Both of these stats suggest last year's fifth-ranked unit is due for some regression to the mean in 2013. No doubt much of last year's success on third down was due to Denver's pressure stats, so the possible loss of Miller and the actual loss of Elvis Dumervil may prove to be a handy explanation for whatever regression does occur. That duo combined for 117.5 sacks, hits, and hurries last season, which accounted for nearly 70 percent of the front seven's total.

I was already interested to see who would pick up Dumervil's slack. Minus Miller, it's even more intrguing.

I also find the charting statistics for San Diego telling. We were getting pressure on opposing QB's 4th most often in the league according to FO, and yet our pass defense was nothing to write home about. If you watched many (any) of our games, the explanation is obvious: horrible defensive back play. I honestly think Cason and Jammer were the league's were starting CB duo in 2012, SS was a dumpster fire, and Gilchrist was bad at nickel for the better part of the season. Here's hoping that the reshuffling and addition of some new players will fix things because it's clear that the front seven can hold up their end.

:think:

Citing "those close" to Von Miller, USA Today reports the Broncos are "confident" Miller will win his appeal of his four-game suspension for allegedly violating the NFL's drug policy.

"He didn't test positive for anything," said a person with knowledge of the situation. The same person admitted Miller indeed tested positive for marijuana in 2011, which landed Miller in the NFL's drug program. Miller would have to have violated the league's drug policy again to warrant the four-game ban. USA Today's sources insist he did not. The date of Miller's appeal is not yet known.

Source: USA Today

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Denver Post confirms a previous USA Today report that Von Miller's four-game suspension was not triggered by a failed drug test.

Because Miller was already in the NFL's drug program for a positive marijuana test during his rookie year, the second violation could've been a missed test or counseling session, or even showing up late. USA Today's source insisted Miller "didn't test positive for anything." Miller's case is under appeal. It's believed the Broncos are "confident" the suspension will be overturned. Jul 26 - 9:58 PM

Source: Denver Post

So right now he has been suspended for 4 games because he missed a test. Hmm not to be bias but really?

That go-go-go offense wont be much in the mile high air, especially since our defense practices every day against a go-go-go offense. The most conditioned defense that Philly will face is Denver's because of the altitude and our offense being just as fast if not faster

If Von miller loses any time I don't think it will hurt us as much as some think. Most likely I could see us adjusting our scheme away from the over/under 4-3 and going with a more traditional 4-3 to get our better LB on the field with a better combination of pass rushers on the dline. We would still use the over/under with Shaun Phillips but not as much because without Von we have better personnel alignment for the 4-3

So, this poses the question, what system do we currently have in place? Do they really not have any better consequences for being late? Just fine the guy, we don't need to go through all this.

It's the complete violation of privacy that gets me. They had absolutely no right to leak MDMA and shit attached to his name, especially on zero grounds. Von miller should sue the NFL for defamation. :yep:

I'm hearing the missed test that got him in trouble was supposed to have occured while he was attending the USO in Afghanistan to support the troops.

If true, the NFL is going to have a PR nightmare if they punish him for being over there and "Representing the Brand" yet suspend him for missing a test.

I'm hearing the missed test that got him in trouble was supposed to have occured while he was attending the USO in Afghanistan to support the troops.

If true, the NFL is going to have a PR nightmare if they punish him for being over there and "Representing the Brand" yet suspend him for missing a test.

I'd have to agree with this if that is indeed why he was suspended. But what makes me question that as the reason for the violation is the fact that the suspension was even issued at all. If the NFL will readily overturn it to avoid the PR debacle (not to mention keeping one of the league's best players off television screens), why would they hand out the suspension to begin with?

I'd have to agree with this if that is indeed why he was suspended. But what makes me question that as the reason for the violation is the fact that the suspension was even issued at all. If the NFL will readily overturn it to avoid the PR debacle (not to mention keeping one of the league's best players off television screens), why would they hand out the suspension to begin with?

Great question. It could be something as silly as the Drug Program submits an attendance list and some low $ office staffer plugs in who missed and it triggers a suspension from the league. You got me. Everything I have read says that this guy has been squeaky clean since he got popped for weed during his rookie testing. Its hard to imagine a guy who is in line for one of the top 2 biggest defensive contracts ever (JJ watt other contract) is gonna get himself in trouble. Stranger things have happened however.