Mentch

Team That Killed the Most Careers?

I'm not talking about a specific franchise that has done it throughout their history. I'm more talking about a team in a particular year that acquired players, had lofty expectations, and completely failed to live up to them, resulting in the blowing up of the team. The first one that comes to my mind is the Dream Team. Let's take a look at each of those big acquisitions and where they are now:

Nnamdi Asomugha - was arguably the best CB in the league at the time, woulda been a great fit in either Houston, Dallas, or back in Oakland. Philly signing him fixed a problem that didn't need to be fixed, as he excels in man coverage, while the Eagles played a lot of zone. Released this offseason, on a 1 year minimum contract with San Francisco, isn't even guaranteed to make the roster

Jason Babin - was regarded as a sack monster and lived up to expectations in 2011, recording 18 sacks; however, struggled against the run in general. Released during the 2012 season, though this was more of a business decision than a performance related decision, as Babin is 32 and the Eagles were entering rebuilding mode

DRC - Good cover corner, Pro Bowler in 2009, not a great tackler. Acquired in the Kevin Kolb trade in what was originally thought to be a huge steal, but he only played 2 seasons, recording only 3 INTs during that time period. Currently with the Broncos on a short term deal

Vince Young - The player that self proclaimed the "Dream Team", signed for less money to be a backup in Philly, despite the fact that he could have gone to NUMEROUS teams that needed a starting caliber QB that year. Was released the following season, was out of the league until Green Bay signed him as a backup

Cullen Jenkins - Big part of the defensive line that helped Green Bay win it all in 2010, signed a 5 year deal during the 2011 offseason. Actually wasn't bad, recording 9.5 sacks over 2 seasons at DT, but was released this offseason and is with the Giants on a 3 year contract now

Steve Smith - IMO, this was the most POINTLESS signing by the Eagles that offseason. Smith had been a 107 catch receiver and a Pro Bowler just 2 seasons prior to this, and even though he had injury troubles, was still a solid #2 option at WR for just about any team. Could have easily gone to a team that needed him, such as the Jaguars or the Bengals. Why would the Eagles sign a WR and not use him at all?! At any rate, Smith only recorded 11 receptions all season, fizzled out with the Rams the following season, and then retired this offseason. He really could have had a much more productive career if he never went to Philly, I guarantee it

Ronnie Brown - was a decent starter before the came to Philly on a 1 year deal, carried the ball maybe every other game once he got there. Signed with the Chargers the following offseason and is their 3rd down back now

Aside from the Dream Team though, another classic example was the 2000 Redskins. They acquired Deion Sanders, Mark Carrier, Jeff George, and Bruce Smith during the offseason and were the favorites to win it all. They started out 6-2 before falling to 7-8 and out of the playoffs completely, leading to the premature retirement of Sanders and Carrier, and the team never really recovered after that. It would be another 5 seasons before they would get back to the playoffs and another 12 before they won an NFC East title

I'm not talking about a specific franchise that has done it throughout their history. I'm more talking about a team in a particular year that acquired players, had lofty expectations, and completely failed to live up to them, resulting in the blowing up of the team. The first one that comes to my mind is the Dream Team. Let's take a look at each of those big acquisitions and where they are now:

Nnamdi Asomugha - was arguably the best CB in the league at the time, woulda been a great fit in either Houston, Dallas, or back in Oakland. Philly signing him fixed a problem that didn't need to be fixed, as he excels in man coverage, while the Eagles played a lot of zone. Released this offseason, on a 1 year minimum contract with San Francisco, isn't even guaranteed to make the roster

Jason Babin - was regarded as a sack monster and lived up to expectations in 2011, recording 18 sacks; however, struggled against the run in general. Released during the 2012 season, though this was more of a business decision than a performance related decision, as Babin is 32 and the Eagles were entering rebuilding mode

DRC - Good cover corner, Pro Bowler in 2009, not a great tackler. Acquired in the Kevin Kolb trade in what was originally thought to be a huge steal, but he only played 2 seasons, recording only 3 INTs during that time period. Currently with the Broncos on a short term deal

Vince Young - The player that self proclaimed the "Dream Team", signed for less money to be a backup in Philly, despite the fact that he could have gone to NUMEROUS teams that needed a starting caliber QB that year. Was released the following season, was out of the league until Green Bay signed him as a backup

Cullen Jenkins - Big part of the defensive line that helped Green Bay win it all in 2010, signed a 5 year deal during the 2011 offseason. Actually wasn't bad, recording 9.5 sacks over 2 seasons at DT, but was released this offseason and is with the Giants on a 3 year contract now

Steve Smith - IMO, this was the most POINTLESS signing by the Eagles that offseason. Smith had been a 107 catch receiver and a Pro Bowler just 2 seasons prior to this, and even though he had injury troubles, was still a solid #2 option at WR for just about any team. Could have easily gone to a team that needed him, such as the Jaguars or the Bengals. Why would the Eagles sign a WR and not use him at all?! At any rate, Smith only recorded 11 receptions all season, fizzled out with the Rams the following season, and then retired this offseason. He really could have had a much more productive career if he never went to Philly, I guarantee it

Ronnie Brown - was a decent starter before the came to Philly on a 1 year deal, carried the ball maybe every other game once he got there. Signed with the Chargers the following offseason and is their 3rd down back now

How many of those guys were very good before playing on the eagles and were very bad after playing on the Eagles? I count Nnamdi as very good before and then bad with the Eagles, Babin was decent with the Eagles and had more than one stint on the team with mixed results, DRC was meh before being on the Eagles and meh with the Eagles. Lots of talent varying production. Jenkins was ok but the Pack and then the Eagles released him due to not fitting a scheme change. Brown and Smith were not the same players they once were when they joined the Eagles due to injury and wear. Young was the suck before joining the Eagles.

I'm not saying you're completely wrong but I'm not sure most of those guys were really as fantastic as you are making them sound, with the exception of Nnamndi who was used very poorly, but maybe also exposed alittle for not being as good as we all thought he was too.

• Upvote 2

How many of those guys were very good before playing on the eagles and were very bad after playing on the Eagles? I count Nnamdi as very good before and then bad with the Eagles, Babin was decent with the Eagles and had more than one stint on the team with mixed results, DRC was meh before being on the Eagles and meh with the Eagles. Lots of talent varying production. Jenkins was ok but the Pack and then the Eagles released him due to not fitting a scheme change. Brown and Smith were not the same players they once were when they joined the Eagles due to injury and wear. Young was the suck before joining the Eagles.

I'm not saying you're completely wrong but I'm not sure most of those guys were really as fantastic as you are making them sound, with the exception of Nnamndi who was used very poorly, but maybe also exposed alittle for not being as good as we all thought he was too.

I do see your point, for example Brown only gained like 700 yards on 200 carries the year before in Miami so it's not like he was going to go anywhere else and be a productive running back. But Smith was still a productive receiver with the Giants the year before, he had 48 rec for 529 yards in only 9 games the year before with the Giants, he was still very much a reliable #2 option and solid possession receiver, he didn't fit the Eagles scheme at all. IMO that was the biggest signing that made no sense to me

Young wasn't anything special at the time, so I dont completely blame him for going to Philly, but let's not forget, he did lead the Titans to a 5-2 start (though they lost their last 3 games with him under center before he got injured), threw 10 TDs to only 3 INTs, and had a passer rating of 98. He could have started for teams that needed a stop gap QB at the time

Mushin once said wide outs go to Chicago to die.

Mushin once said wide outs go to Chicago to die.

Brandon Marshall broke that curse.

We are still trying to replace Cullen. :(

I miss him but we need a guy who can rush the passer from the DE spot to help Clay because Nick Perry probably won't help that much.

I don't remember any, much less NUMEROUS, teams lining up to sign Vince, sure he could have been an improvement on a lot of teams' starters, but I don't remember him getting much of any attention after we released him, and we sat on him most of the offseason entertaining offers before releasing him

Edited by oochymp

Brandon Marshall broke that curse.

So you mean to tell me they acquire a wideout with some actual ability for once and they got production in return. Interesting. :think:

So you mean to tell me they acquire a wideout with some actual ability for once and they got production in return. Interesting. :think:

Indeed.

Don't know much about the Bears wideouts trough their history, but before Brandon Marshall, Marty Booker and Curtis Conway were both good players. Not even close to Marshall of course.

Don't know much about the Bears wideouts trough their history, but before Brandon Marshall, Marty Booker and Curtis Conway were both good players. Not even close to Marshall of course.

The Bears have never really been known for their receivers, or even quarterbacks for that matter.

Honestly Cutler and Marshall are in my opinion the Bears' best QB/WR combo in their entire history.

Washington Redskins '95-'05