DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

The good, the bad, the ugly?

Good:

Rodgers was pretty damn hot, if he continues this sort of form it is going to make it easier for Eddie Lacy to settle in to the NFL.

WR's Cobb and Nelson looked to be firing on all cylinders and from the get go clicked with Rodgers which was great and clear to see after Jordy's diving sideline catch

The D-Line + Mathews, it was really damn nice to see the D-Line get and put pressure on a QB so early in the season. They created problems early and it allowed for the Claymaker to make a few plays and sacks.

Bad:

Capers coverage schemes have been blown open to the entire world now, we need to make sure they are disguised more than they currently are.

Ugly:

Allowing Boldin 200 receiving yards and 150ish (iirc) to Davis, there is so much talent in this DB corps im not sure why there isn't a return of the bump and run coverage we used to run, the cushions we give now are ridiculous

Oh and thanks for re doing this for me DMac I had forgotten and was going to reintroduce this next week.

The Ugly

- Penalties. The start of the game was absolutely horrific. That was just inexcusable. And the penalties continued throughout the game. We had some huge defensive penalties which extended drives and gave the Jets points they shouldn't have gotten. Schiano needs to get this team under control. We have a very good chance at starting 0-3 now that we lost which may have been our easiest game on the schedule.. If that happens, this team may just quit on Schiano and we'll be looking for a new GM, HC and QB next season.

- Lavonte David's penalty. Have to make a separate bullet point for this penalty. It may not have been a penalty, but it was still completely unnecessary to touch Geno when he was going out of bounds. Everyone knows the NFL is pussifying the sport so doing something like that is incredibly stupid. I love Lavonte, but that was just a stupid play. He had a great game other than that too. Hopefully he doesn't get a bad image around the league now because the kid is a very humble, underrated stud. Everyone says Lavonte is very quiet but has a great passion for the game. He was even shown crying after the game. Dude definitely cares and will be very hungry coming into next week.

- Offensive Line. Garbage performance by the entire unit. Opened up no running lanes for Martin and the protection for Freeman was not good. Hopefully Nicks will be back next week because we need all the help we can get. The o-line was the biggest problem for the offense yesterday.

-Coaching. Starting to get worried about Schiano. Not sure he has complete control of the team. We finished off ugly last season, looked awful in the pre-season, then come out looking like this. The gameplan for the offense was really bad and we didn't adjust to their defense. We are a far more talented team than the Jets, losing to them is inexcusable. Like I said earlier, because we lost this game, things could get ugly quick for Schiano.

Ahem. Where's Mr. Freeman?

Freeman was mediocre, not awful. He had some good throws, and some bad ones.

He was getting no help from the o-line at all. I saw a stat saying that Freeman's QB rating was 95 when he was given more than 2.5 seconds to throw, and was a 45 when given less than 2.5 seconds to throw. When a QB is given that little time to throw, and players are dropping passes left and right, what do you really expect?

Freeman's completion percentage goes from below 50% to over 60% if guys make routine catches.

The Good

Mason Foster - The guy stinks in pass coverage, but he has always been an effective blitzer. Hopefully we can eventually slide him over to OLB

Lavonte David - He was a beast in the game, if not for his boneheaded mistake at the end he would been the MVP of the game

Vincent Jackson - MVP of the game for the Bucs, he played amazing and did it against one of the better corners in the NFL.

The Bad

OL - They played bad, maybe the worse I've seen them in a long time

Doug Martin - His blocking didn't help but he had too many drops

Coaching - Another poorly coached game. The playcalling on Offense was awful, Greg Olson couldve called a better game.

Slot WR - We need one badly, Ogletree has stone hands.

The Ugly

Josh Freeman - Year 5 and he still plays like a rookie. If we played almost any of the starting QB in the NFL in this game we win. End of story, this guys time is just about up and I can't wait.

Penatlies - Again our coach claims to be an attention to detail, discipline type guy and I don't see it. Players are making mistakes that they should never make. We had almost 10 penatlies in the first quarter alone.

Leonard Johnson - I'm a fan of his and he seems like a hard worker, but he doesn't have what to takes to be a #2 CB in the NFL, at least not in this system.

:Chargers:

Great:

• No injuries reported: Health is crucial for this team.

Good:

• Rivers: He was sharp, accurate, and made a lot of plays under pressure. The Cushing pick wasn't pretty, but you also have to just tip your cap to a great defensive player who was smart enough to know who the hot read was on that play. On the whole PR looked a whole lot more like his old self than like the 2011/2012 version. Deep balls also looked good- more than one was dropped after hitting the receiver in the hands. And an 18 yard scamper! Well-- in Rivers case, it's more an 18 yard lope.
  • Freeney: Dwight put on a clinic against an all-pro left tackle. He bulled him, sped by him, used his spin, countered inside... just mixed it up all night and most of it worked. He would have come away with more to show in the box score had the coverage not been so lax on the back end. Overall I found him to be very impressive and I'm excited to see what he does against future opponents, because Duane Brown is about as good as it gets.
  • Weddle, Butler, Johnson: I'll lump these three veterans together for their great play. Lots of impact tackles that saved a whole bunch of yards. Johnson in particular looks much improved this season- more active and better as a pass rusher. And he's such a bully out there, it's fun to watch.

Bad

• Blocking: I said before the game, our hope to win was tied to our ability to run the ball. And we just couldn't. Mathews isn't a very patient runner and the holes weren't there. Seemed to be the case for a lot of NFL teams this first week, and that defense is very stout, so I'm hoping the run blocking will be better moving forward. The line also allowed quite a bit of pressure. Much better than 2012, but still not great. Thankfully, as I've often said, Rivers doesn't need "great" in order to excel. Just good enough.
  • Coverage: I'll give Derek Cox a mulligan because Andre Johnson can do that to most anybody, but the rest of our DB's not named Weddle or Wright had issues. They too often allowed receivers to run wide open through the secondary. Our front seven applied pretty consistent pressure, but too often it didn't matter because Schaub was able to hit a wide open TE or WR down the field. That's got to tighten up. SS and nickel especially. I'm eager for Johnny Patrick to take more playing time back from Richard Marshall.
  • Drops: Late in the game, when we really needed to keep the chains moving and eat some clock, Gates and Royal each had a key drop that forced us to punt. If they catch those balls, we're probably talking about a 1-0 Chargers team today.

Ugly

• Losing the Lead: A lot of things came together for us to lose the lead we built, but in the end we played well enough to win and didn't. We have to put teams away when we put them in that position.
  • Blown Call: In the 4th Q, our defense made a stand in our own territory and forced the Texans to kick a FG. The refs threw a flag on Cam Thomas for going after the long snapper who is now considered a defenseless player. The problem is that he didn't break the rule. He lined up outside the snapper's shoulders, and just swum around him after the snap to try and block the kick. That call gave the Texans a first down, and they scored a touchdowns. So it was a 4 point swing, and they won by 3.

On the whole I'm sad we blew the lead, but pretty satisfied from what I saw from the team in the first game under Mike McCoy. Rivers' improvement is huge for us, as is Freeney's ability as a pass rusher. And let's face is- the Texans have a better roster than we do. Many predicted we'd get blown out. I like our chances against the Eagles, but I'm a little ticked that the NFL scheduled us to play until 10:30 PT on Monday night and then travel the following Sunday for a 10:30 am PT start on the east coast. Seems like they could have at least given us one of the late slots. I guess we'll see if McCoy can get his team up and ready for those dreaded early east coast matches.

The Ugly

- Penalties. The start of the game was absolutely horrific. That was just inexcusable. And the penalties continued throughout the game. We had some huge defensive penalties which extended drives and gave the Jets points they shouldn't have gotten. Schiano needs to get this team under control. We have a very good chance at starting 0-3 now that we lost which may have been our easiest game on the schedule.. If that happens, this team may just quit on Schiano and we'll be looking for a new GM, HC and QB next season.

- Lavonte David's penalty. Have to make a separate bullet point for this penalty. It may not have been a penalty, but it was still completely unnecessary to touch Geno when he was going out of bounds. Everyone knows the NFL is pussifying the sport so doing something like that is incredibly stupid. I love Lavonte, but that was just a stupid play. He had a great game other than that too. Hopefully he doesn't get a bad image around the league now because the kid is a very humble, underrated stud. Everyone says Lavonte is very quiet but has a great passion for the game. He was even shown crying after the game. Dude definitely cares and will be very hungry coming into next week.

- Offensive Line. Garbage performance by the entire unit. Opened up no running lanes for Martin and the protection for Freeman was not good. Hopefully Nicks will be back next week because we need all the help we can get. The o-line was the biggest problem for the offense yesterday.

-Coaching. Starting to get worried about Schiano. Not sure he has complete control of the team. We finished off ugly last season, looked awful in the pre-season, then come out looking like this. The gameplan for the offense was really bad and we didn't adjust to their defense. We are a far more talented team than the Jets, losing to them is inexcusable. Like I said earlier, because we lost this game, things could get ugly quick for Schiano.

He was getting no help from the o-line at all. I saw a stat saying that Freeman's QB rating was 95 when he was given more than 2.5 seconds to throw, and was a 45 when given less than 2.5 seconds to throw. When a QB is given that little time to throw, and players are dropping passes left and right, what do you really expect?

Freeman's completion percentage goes from below 50% to over 60% if guys make routine catches.

They say the same thing for Gabbert dude:

The page titled "Blaine QB Rating Stats" revealed that when adjusted for drops, throwaways and spikes, Gabbert's passer rating in 2012 was a respectable 82.8. The next page, "Blaine Time in the Pocket," detailed the Jags' woeful pass protection: The line gave Gabbert an average of just 2.56 seconds to throw the ball. When he had more than 2.6 seconds to throw, his QB rating jumped to 84.5. The final page, "Blaine Under Pressure," showed that when facing a six-man rush, Gabbert ranked first among QBs in completion percentage.

source: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9581177/new-jacksonville-jaguars-coach-gus-bradley-relies-analytics-espn-magazine

So I mean... I'm sure everyone outside of a few Jags fans would admit Gabbert isn't very good. I would expect the same amount of fans to defend Freeman as such. :shrug:

Good

Well, I'm not sure what was good. Troy Polamalu was very good. Steve McLendon was good. Stats aside, Ben was good.

Bad

I said this a couple of times, our o line and running game. We ain't going nowhere with that shit.

Ugly

Lost Pouncey, Foote and Stephens-Howling to season ending injuries. Pouncey is the most reliable piece of our o line and that line will be even more depleted without him. Stephens-Howling was decent in a limited amount of snaps he got and sadly, he looked like our best runner there.

The Good

Offense

Our offense was spectacular in the first half. That fast tempo offense had the Redskins defense on their heels. Vick was hot and on the money with his passes. He was threw some accurate passes that had great velocity on them fitting them in tight windows and made some key plays in the running game. Vick only had 25 passes in the game and that's around the medium that I think is a good. Our offense also did an awesome job scoring TDs off of both our turnovers. THat was huge.

Desean Jackson was simply great tonight. I've been waiting to see how Chip would utilize Desean in his offense and he saw a lot of play in this game. Chip used Desean in some creative ways and got him the ball in space as well. Desean always showed his toughness in this game making some good catches in traffic holding onto the ball. I said in the offseason that I think that Desean might have his best season under Chip. He got off to a good start and hopefully he'll keep it up. However, I didn't like seeing Desean in the return game. I know he's dangerous but I saw him back there too much even though majority of them were fair catches. He should be used more situationally and see less time back there. Jeremy Maclin went down already but if Desean goes down, we are totally screwed. It's definitely not worth it.

Lesean Mccoy was balling last night. He really showcased his talents out there and showcased them early. Mccoy was leading the league in rushing before halftime. He was a straight highlight reel making guys miss cutting on the dime. He had so many missed tackles in this game. He showed great vision and is continuing to prove that he is a top RB in this league. Can't wait to see him utilized more in the passing/screen game.

Evan Mathis continues to be the best guard in the league imo. He's a boss. Riley Cooper also demonstrating amazing blocking ability and had some key blocks in some of Mccoys big runs. Brent Celek only had 2 catches but they were big catches at that point in the game. He definitely showed that he's still the best option we have at the TE position.

Defense

This was the most element of our football team tonight. Our defense played phenomenal in the first 3 quarters. The Redskins went 44 mins without scoring an offensive TD. We were getting pressure on the QB, got several hits, a few sacks and a couple of turnovers (omg what's that?) We were constantly in the backfield being disruptive. I loved it.

First and foremost, I have to give my props to Trent Cole who balled out. People were doubting Trent (myself included) if he still had it after a very lack luster season last year (who didn't though?), being invisible in the preseason on top of trying to transition to a 3-4 OLB. He was almost counted out and showed up yesterday in a big way. His forced fumble on the Redskins first offensive possession after that bizarre fumble for a TD was a HUGE momentum shift. He was constantly in the backfield in RG3's face and got several hits on him.

Mychal Kendricks was a beast unleashed yesterday. He was making plays all over the field and wasn't missing tackles! He played how I thought he could play. He had 10 tackles, a lot of pressures and got a few hits on Rg3; one hit in particular that shook up RG3 a bit; check my sig :cool: He also recovered Trent Cole's fumble too. Heads up play.

Brandon Boykin had a great game. He had a nice coverage interception on RG3 and had 3 defended passes. Boykin also was an active force tackling recording 7 tackles. Good game for the 2nd year kid.

Demeco Ryans had a really solid game. He was making some good tackles recording 8 and had a punishing sack on RG3. Good game.

Fletcher Cox is one of my favorite players on the defense (with Kendricks). His stats don't do him justice. He recorded 3 tackles and sack but he was in the backfield a lot and pushing the pocket creating plays for other defenders. He's easily one of our best impact players.

Cary Williams however gets the slight nudge and wins defensive MVP for me. I know it was a lot of controversy with him when he joined our team and our fan base criticized him like a dog. But my approach was that as long as he produced on the field, then all it doesn't matter. Cary had a great game last night. He made some clutch plays that made a huge difference in the ball game. He had a sack, an awesome interception and a crucial defended pass on 4th and 15 in the 4th quarter. I'm no fool and don't expect performances like this on the regular for him, but I am appreciative for his play on the field yesterday.

Special Teams

Special teams without a doubt is our most stellar unit. Our special teams coverage swarmed to the ball and I think the Redskins only got the 20 once throughout the entire game. And man, Donnie Jones was just about perfection yesterday. He had 6 punts, averaged 42.3 yards per punt, 4 of his punts where inside the 20; 6, 6, 5, yard line and one on the 11 yard line. He only had one touch back. His punts were so impactful burying the Redskins deep in their own territory.

The Bad

Offense

Our offense slowed down drastically in the 2nd half but particularly in the 4th quarter. I'm not sure if Kelly took his foot off the gas but we need to be more effective in the 2nd half of the football game. It has me wondering if our players were gassed from running 53 plays in the 1st half. I distinctly remember seeing Mccoy play in the 4th quarter and it was beyond obvious on that run that he was gassed. Bryce went in after that play but I wonder of the affect this uptempo offense will have on our players and if they will be able to sustain this pace. We need our players healthy.

Vick on a few blitzes didn't appear to know where to go with the ball. I wouldn't necessarily say this is the bad because he didn't make any bad decisions but definitely a concern. He needs to know where to go with the ball when the blitz is on.

Pass protection mishaps we had needs to be cleaned up. They shined for the most part of the night, but there were pass protection breakdowns. I know Herremans was responsible for a few but we can't afford Vick getting hit clean by unblocked defenders.

Zach Ertz was somewhat underwhelming. He was dropping passes in training camp, the preseason, and had two drops tonight. He has talent, athletic prowess and great potential, but he has to catch the ball.

That HORRIBLE call defining that incomplete pass as a backwards pass for a fumble.

https://twitter.com/WorldofIsaac/status/377209134082314241/photo/1

Clearly not a fumble but things like this happen. Just glad that our guys rebounded and didn't let this determine the outcome of the game.

Defense

Our defense didn't play great in the last 16 minutes of the game; especially in the 4th. I wonder if it was more attributed to RG3 beginning to get in rhythm and got hot or if it was Billy Davis putting us in the prevent defense too early. Either way, it was a concern and adjustments need to be made. We shouldn't have allowed the Redskins to minimize the deficit.

Pat Chung had a pretty good night in the tackling department and wasn't bad in coverage outside of that one late TD in the 4th quarter. He misjudged the ball and jumped early. If he judged it right and took a step or two back, he could have easily intercepted it. Very Raheem Morris-ish.

Jordan Poyer had a pretty bad debut. His awareness wasn't quite there and seemed overwhelmed. Hopefully the rookie does better next time.

Coaching

Chip Kelly's challenge made absolutely new sense. He made a very questionable challenge in the preseason as well. Hopefully someone goes over with him the rules about challenging in the NFL. Great game but that challenge was definitely a facepalm moment lol.

Overall, I liked most of what I saw this game. It appears we still have the capability of being dangerous and explosive. Our consistency and if we can sustain this type of gameplay is something entirely different. There were definitely somethings that need fixing, but it's a great start to the Chip Kelly era. Still no expectations on the season, but I'm excited and slightly optimistic to say the least. I'm glad we came out with a win. :rockon:

Edited by dutchff7

The Good

- Robbie Gould nailed a 57 yd FG (Franchise Record)

- Jay Cutler did not get sacked

- Mills and Long looked good a lot of positives things to work on still

- Playing calling of trestman on that 4th and 1 with forte going around the edge and long pulling.

The Bad

- at one point the yardage was 325 - 97 in favour for the Bengals the score should of been more lopsided than 11 points.

- where was the pass rush? We only got one sack and that came in the fourth from Shea McClellin

- The Bengals threw the game away in the fourth with calling their last two time outs on back to back plays so while should get some praise for coming back the Bengals helped a lot.

The Ugly

- Cutlers only INT. It was brutal.

The Good

- Jay Cutler did not get sacked

Good is an understatement. That's a miracle. I heard a crazy stat about Jay Cutler. Since he's been with the Bears, he's only had 6 total games when he hasn't been sacked.

Edited by dutchff7

The Good:

Phillip Rivers

The Bad:

The run game wasn't very effective, especially in the second half.

The Ugly:

The Texans WANTED it more. They stepped up, we couldn't match them. Kind of expected given the Texans are a better team but we had a 21 point lead/headstart.

Bront Bird, he was torched three times in the redzone. (silver lining, he had 15 tackles)

O-line was shocking in the second half. Free runner at Rivers on the interception.

Defense couldn't get off the field on easy third downs.

Dropped passes! Royal dropped a easy first down off of a great throw by Rivers. (the dagger?)

Conclusion: I may be more of a Rivers fan than most but to me its blatantly clear he needs help on offense. Other people need to step up. He can't do everything. Our defense did good but missed multiple opportunities to halt the Texans rally.

After re-watching the game being able to rewind and be more analytical, here's my updated Good, Bad and Ugly:

The Good

Defense adjusted after halftime and shut out the Chiefs. Will Blackmon stepped up when Gratz got hurt and played well but he admittedly was going against a weak WR group for KC.

Punt block team took advantage of a mistake by the blocking, more bad on KC's part but at least they took advantage of it. Some teams just half ass it and get more concerned with blocking instead of going for the block.

The Bad

jagsfanwtfcheevus.gif

Also, the WRs and TEs had 5 drops. Way too inconsistent. Even if somehow the QB got the ball out before getting bombarded the WRs or TEs would drop catchable balls.

The Ugly

Offensive guards, and the Center got owned the entire game. Completely destroyed anything the offense was trying to do. Only one sack came from the OT (Joeckel), on a speed rush from OLB Houston. Everything else was from the interior. They couldn't create run lanes, let guys clog up the passing lanes, it was a wash.

• Upvote 1

The Ugly

They say the same thing for Gabbert dude:

The page titled "Blaine QB Rating Stats" revealed that when adjusted for drops, throwaways and spikes, Gabbert's passer rating in 2012 was a respectable 82.8. The next page, "Blaine Time in the Pocket," detailed the Jags' woeful pass protection: The line gave Gabbert an average of just 2.56 seconds to throw the ball. When he had more than 2.6 seconds to throw, his QB rating jumped to 84.5. The final page, "Blaine Under Pressure," showed that when facing a six-man rush, Gabbert ranked first among QBs in completion percentage.

source: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9581177/new-jacksonville-jaguars-coach-gus-bradley-relies-analytics-espn-magazine

So I mean... I'm sure everyone outside of a few Jags fans would admit Gabbert isn't very good. I would expect the same amount of fans to defend Freeman as such. :shrug:

The difference is Freeman has actually produced good numbers in this league. In 2010, he had one of the best TD:INT ratios in NFL history and should have led a pretty awful team to the playoffs (7 win Seahawks made it over 10 win Bucs).

Last year, a season in which a lot of people consider a bad season, he broke franchise records and threw for 4,000 yards and 27 TD's. Yes, he was inconsistent and turned the ball over a lot, but he wasn't as bad as most people make him out to be.

Again, I'm not saying Freeman is a great QB or anything, I'd consider him mediocre because of how inconsistent he is.

The Good:

- Tannehill looks even sharper this year, and he looks way more comfortable now with a year of this system under his belt. That isn't to say more improvements can't be made.

- Cameron fucking Wake. That is all.

- While we're talking about Wake, the entire pass rush was exactly what I have been hoping for. Weeden was on the ground or had a hand in his face for more than 50% of his dropbacks. I'm also taking that with a grain of salt until I can see them against a better O-line.

- The secondary are a bunch of opportunists this year. 2 INTs off of tipped passes, and the first one by Patterson was nothing short of extraordinary concentration.

- Brian Hartline was worth every penny of that extension, if not for the sole fact that he and Tannehill have the best chemistry...and it isn't even close.

- We won? All kidding aside, we closed it out, and that is huge in my book, since closing games out last year was the difference between a WC spot and sitting at home.

The Bad:

- While we did win, it wasn't really that pretty.

- The O-line needs serious work. Tanny didn't take too much punishment last week, but it will happen in the future if they don't toughen up and figure their shit out.

- Wallace was nowhere to be found, but I credit this to him being the primary target of the Browns secondary. This in turn opened things up for Hartline and Gibson.

- The man coverage still needs improvement, especially on the deep ball. Cleveland was a couple of dropped bombs away from having a better box score.

The Ugly:

- Um, at this time we apparently don't have a run game, and I have a hard time discerning if it is a lack of talent (I doubt it), terrible zone blocking (likely), or Cleveland's front seven is just that monstrous (most likely). The containment was damn near perfect almost every time a runner got the ball. It was impressive, and I think AFCN runners are going to have a tough divisional season.

The good:

Aaron Rodgers- Even under pressure, Rodgers still performed well and had a rating of 102.5 even, which should be higher considering the 3 drops and one going right into Reid.

Jordy Nelson- Many had doubts about him and his injury woes. He came out and showed he is GB's #1 WR

Johnny Jolly- After being out of the NFL for 3 years, I thought he was done. He has come back with a vengeance and makes a huge difference. He plays well and helps inspire ones around him

The bad:

The running game- Didn't register a run over 3 yards until that final scoring drive.

Playcalling- Even though the offense did put up 28 points against a very good 49ers' defense, I felt the playcalling was poor at times. After having a screen go for 31 yds we didn't try another one. McCarthy would try running the ball then just completely abandon it for a drive.

Linebackers- This is a tough one because I don't know Capers' strategy. It seemed like the linebackers were more in charge of just containing and keeping Kaep in the pocket rather than passrushing. Jones looked lost in coverage at times.

The ugly:

The safeties-Jerrod McMillian and M.D. Jennings both look like they are not ready to start. Both got lost in coverage and could not cover Boldin or Davis at all

Dom Capers- I am trying to figure out how this guy has a job still. Back in 2010, the Packers' D was a top 5 D and played primarily man coverage with the corners bumping the receivers coming off the LoS. Tramon Williams excelled in this and was considered a top 10 CB after playing amazing. Since then, there is no bumping at all. Shields is a fast CB and can keep up with WRs yet he is forced to giving huge cushions to receivers. It makes no sense how he has this secondary playing. Sure he shut down the running game and the QB option, but the secondary was playing zone and allowed Boldin and Davis to bend the defense over and make it their bitch. Capers needs to be on the hotseat and get the defense working or be shown the door.

Sam Shields also can't tackle. The shitty thing about it is he doesn't shy away from it. He is aggressive and goes for the tackle, he just physically cannot wrap somebody up or bring them down. He'll get the occasional good play but for the most part, I don't trust him to make a stop in open field. The rest of the secondary only tackles "okay".

As far as your Dom Capers bit, I agree with most of it. It's something I've said since last year, when we clearly had an improved pass rush. We run too much zone coverage. It's only week 1 though against a far superior team to us so I'm willing to give Capers a few more weeks and then decide for myself whether he needs to go or not.

Good:

- Mingo. What a badass.

- Defense held Baltimore to 14 points. Denver gave up a lot more than that to them.

- Jordan Cameron again.

Bad:

- Mitchell Schwartz. Good as a rookie but has been dominated thus far (granted it was Wake and Dumervil but still)

Ugly:

- 16 points in two games. Pitful. We had so many opportunities to not only win, but run away with that game and we squandered them ALL.

- Greg Little. FUCK YOU.

- Brandon Weeden's face.

:Chargers::Eagles:

Good:

• Rivers: Phil has looked like his old pro-bowl caliber self for 7 of the 8 quarters he's played so far this season. The offensive line is giving him some time while balancing the O with some run blocking and he is doing a lot with that. His throws have been on time and in the right locations. His deep ball looks like it used to as well. This is the key to us having a chance in 2013.
  • Coaching: West coast teams aren't supposed to lose a heart breaker on the final play late Monday night, prepare for a team like Philly on a short week, travel three time zones, kick off at 10:00 AM pacific time, and win. You just don't see that too often. The team avoided coming out flat and pulled out a victory. Props to Mike McCoy, and also Ken Whisenhunt for having a great plan on offense.
  • Pass Catchers: Right now we have the best 3rd down offense in football, and that is largely due to some clutch play from the receivers, tight ends, and running backs in the passing game. Floyd was having an even bigger day than DeSean Jackson before getting hurt, Royal is apparently a touchdown machine, and Gates has still got it. Throw in nice additions from Keenan Allen, Vincent Brown, Ladarius Green, and Danny Woodhead and Rivers has what he needs to work with.
  • Offensive Line: King Dunlap is in the process of proving a lot of doubters wrong. I thought he looked respectable in protection last year in Philly, and that's what he's been so far for us-- a far cry from rookie UDFA Mike Harris. On the whole, this group gave Rivers a pocket to work from and found some joy in the running game. Like I've been saying all offseason, this unit doesn't have to dominate. They just have to not be an abomination.

Bad:

• Pass Defense: The fact that it was the Eagles notwithstanding, this makes two weeks in a row where we have been lit up through the air. I am still confident that we have a better group in the secondary than last year, but they need to start gelling quickly. I'm also looking for the defensive line to make their presence felt a little more. Jake Locker might be just what the doctor ordered for this bunch.
  • Costly Fumbles: We lost two fumbles inside the ten. We turn those possessions into points and we would likely have won by a couple scores. And had we lost, we'd have no one to blame but ourselves.

Ugly:

• Floyd's Injury: This is nothing against the Eagles, but to me that was a really dirty play and I won't be surprised if there is a big fine handed down by the NFL. Floyd was basically under wraps with Cary Williams hanging on to him and Nate Allen just goes right for the head as hard as he can. And it's not like Floyd started high and dropped his head. Allen took like two steps while Floyd's head is down and still delivered the blow. He quite honestly could have paralized him or worse. I really feel for Floyd, a guy who has struggled through a ton of injuries to put together a nice career. I hope Allen felt good about that hit, because it was the only play all day that he managed to do something negative to our offense.

Ugly:

• Floyd's Injury: This is nothing against the Eagles, but to me that was a really dirty play and I won't be surprised if there is a big fine handed down by the NFL. Floyd was basically under wraps with Cary Williams hanging on to him and Nate Allen just goes right for the head as hard as he can. And it's not like Floyd started high and dropped his head. Allen took like two steps while Floyd's head is down and still delivered the blow. He quite honestly could have paralized him or worse. I really feel for Floyd, a guy who has struggled through a ton of injuries to put together a nice career. I hope Allen felt good about that hit, because it was the only play all day that he managed to do something negative to our offense.

That's not what happened on the play at all. Nate Allen didn't deliver the hit, Demeco Ryans did and Cary Williams wasn't even involved in the play (:shrug:). Furthermore, Malcolm Floyd did lower his head (0:04). Here, take another look at the play. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000244419/article/malcom-floyd-injures-neck-in-san-diego-chargers-win Malcolm Floyd lowered his head and Demeco hit him with a shoulder collision. It's not a dirty play whatsoever; just unfortunate.

Edited by dutchff7

Ugly:

That's not what happened on the play at all. Nate Allen didn't deliver the hit, Demeco Ryans did and Cary Williams wasn't even involved in the play ( :shrug:). Furthermore, Malcolm Floyd did lower his head (0:04). Here, take another look at the play. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000244419/article/malcom-floyd-injures-neck-in-san-diego-chargers-win Malcolm Floyd lowered his head and Demeco hit him with a shoulder collision. It's not a dirty play whatsoever; just unfortunate.

I've watched it over and over. Sorry I got the names wrong. Guess I don't know Eagles numbers that well. Regardless, I stand by what I said. Floyd's head is down as soon as he catches the ball and it's about two steps by the defender while in that posture before he's struck right on the top of the head. That shit is dirty and could have paralized him. Can't speak to whether or not Ryans is a dirty player, but I think that play was dirty. We'll see what the NFL thinks. PFT reported that, by rule, there ought to have been a flag on the play.

Ugly:

That's not what happened on the play at all. Nate Allen didn't deliver the hit, Demeco Ryans did and Cary Williams wasn't even involved in the play ( :shrug:). Furthermore, Malcolm Floyd did lower his head (0:04). Here, take another look at the play. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000244419/article/malcom-floyd-injures-neck-in-san-diego-chargers-win Malcolm Floyd lowered his head and Demeco hit him with a shoulder collision. It's not a dirty play whatsoever; just unfortunate.

I've watched it over and over. Sorry I got the names wrong. Guess I don't know Eagles numbers that well. Regardless, I stand by what I said. Floyd's head is down as soon as he catches the ball and it's about two steps by the defender while in that posture before he's struck right on the top of the head. That shit is dirty and could have paralized him. Can't speak to whether or not Ryans is a dirty player, but I think that play was dirty. We'll see what the NFL thinks. PFT reported that, by rule, there ought to have been a flag on the play.

There was about a one second time frame from the catch to the collision and even a lesser time frame from when Floyd lowered his head and the hit occurred. It's no where near dirty. It is humanly impossible to alter the course of direction with how fast that hit happened; really from when Floyd lowered his head with Demeco was already running toward him. The collision happened in less then one second from when Floyd lowered his head and the collision from Demeco's hit. Show me someone who can make an adjustment on the fly going as fast as they were in less then 1 second. Far from dirty but unfortunate.

:Eagles: vs :Chargers:

This was definitely a fun game to watch. Much props to the Chargers who made it an interesting game. Phillip Rivers was simply on fire. He was extremely accurate and made all the necessary presnap adjustments and put his offense in good situations to succeed. Eddie Royal also played out his mind. He proved that he can be a dangerous player if utilized correctly. Gates killed us. We usually struggle against good TE's anyway; not too surprised there. Mike Mccoy also did a great job in milking the play clock keeping our offense off the field. That was very smart and proved to be somewhat effect (even though we still scored 30).

Now for my Eagles...

The Good

Desean Jackson is once again the most dangerous deep threat in the league. The way Chip Kelly is utilizing him he's also dangerous underneath. I've been saying since the preseason I think Desean is primed for one of his best seasons in the NFL; currently leading the league in yards.

Lesean Mccoy is a baller. He's definitely showcasing himself as one of the best dual threat RBs in the league; 114 yards receiving and 53 yards rushing. Almost 200 all purpose yards. Unfortunately he only had 11 carries which is something I wasn't a fan of but I'm not sure if it was because the Chargers stacked the box or if it was because of Mccoy's knee.

Michael Vick had a pretty good game. He did leave some big plays on the field over throwing Desean Jackson but he threw for 428 yards, 2 TDs, ran for a TD and didn't turn the ball over. I'm definitely not going to complain with that. His awareness leaves room for desire but he still had a great game. Not to mention Vick played like a warrior taking hits in the pocket for the sake of making a play. I don't condone it with his injury history but praise him for his bravery nonetheless.

Brandon Boykin was simply amazing. He was good in coverage and made a clutch play forcing a fumble in the redzone on Antonio Gates at the 1 yard line. That's his second straight game with a turnover and I can definitely see him pushing for a starting job before the season is over. With how badly or secondary played, it could very well be in the near future.

Trent Cole is continually making plays. He forced a fumble in the redzone which was a huge play. Cole has also managed to force a turnover in two consecutive games.

Zach Ertz only had two catches but got some good chunk yardage and I'm just glad to see him get involved. He has the potential to be a great playmaker in this league if he cleans up his drops.

Donnie Jones is continually pushing teams inside the 20. I swear he's making a case to be the best punter in the league. He's been awesome burying teams deep in their own territory even though our defense can't hold them there :shifty:

The Bad

577939_588597827848108_1026948160_n.jpg

Nate Allen has to be the worst starting safety in the league. He was solely responsible for two TDs, several blown coverages ALWAYS out of position in the wrong spot, bites on players OUTSIDE of his zone, misses tackles but manages to tackle our own players in the helmet threatening to give them concussions. I WANT HIM GONE FOR THIS TEAM SO BAD :angry: Nothing infuriates me like Nate Allen and Kurt Coleman who for the love of god finally got benched. We need safeties badly.

Cary Williams went from being a favored Eagle to being in the doghouse. Cary was simply horrible yesterday and committed 3 DPI's and was getting beat left and right and managed to miss a few tackles. And one of those DPI's continued a Chargers drive that ended up in points. I can see Boykin pushing Cary for his starting job soon if he doesn't improve.

Alex Henery missed a FG that he's more then capable of making. That was a killer.

Lane Johnson had an illegal formation that took Desean Jackson's TD off the board. Desean could have had like 250 yards receiving today...lol

Our pass rush was not hitting home. The Chargers did an amazing job picking up our blitzes and Rivers did that rest picking us apart. We got handed up front and that was suppose to be our key on defense because our secondary is horrible.

James Casey also dropped a TD pass.

Lesean Mccoy only had 11 carries. I'm not sure if that was because of his slight injury scare in regards to his knee or if it was because the Chargers stacked the box.But either way, we needed to run the ball more. When Mccoy has over 20 carries, we have like a 90ish+% win rate.

Desean Jackson's penalty was a killer. the TD stood but this gave the Chargers great field position in a critical part of the game.

Overall, we left some points on the board due to self inflicting injuries and the Chargers took advantage of their opportunities which is what good teams do. They capitalize. Great game Chargers and you may have hope for the superbowl because every team that we've played against in our home opener for the past 4 years has won the superbowl :shifty:

Btw, this was awesome lol

rivers-cox.gif

I wish Malcolm Floyd a speedy recovery.

Edited by dutchff7

Ugly:

There was about a one second time frame from the catch to the collision and even a lesser time frame from when Floyd lowered his head and the hit occurred. It's no where near dirty. It is humanly impossible to alter the course of direction with how fast that hit happened; really from when Floyd lowered his head with Demeco was already running toward him. The collision happened in less then one second from when Floyd lowered his head and the collision from Demeco's hit. Show me someone who can make an adjustment on the fly going as fast as they were in less then 1 second. Far from dirty but unfortunate.

I get that oftentimes guys can't physically stop. I don't believe that to be the case here. This isn't one of those plays where the defender arrives just as the ball does. When the ball arrives and Floyd's head goes down, Ryans is 3-4 yards away and not moving all that fast. In fact, he nearly stops his forward motion as he gets to Floyd, but then goes on to deliver the hit right to the top of that head. It was avoidable. It's not like his body just collided with Malcom's unavoidably because of momemtum. He delivered the strike with his shoulder right to the head.

But really Dutch, I don't want to fight about this too much. It was a good game and I don't hate the Eagles or think that Ryans is necessarily a dirty player. So we can agree to disagree on that one play.

Ugly:

I get that oftentimes guys can't physically stop. I don't believe that to be the case here. This isn't one of those plays where the defender arrives just as the ball does. When the ball arrives and Floyd's head goes down, Ryans is 3-4 yards away and not moving all that fast. In fact, he nearly stops his forward motion as he gets to Floyd, but then goes on to deliver the hit right to the top of that head. It was avoidable. It's not like his body just collided with Malcom's unavoidably because of momemtum. He delivered the strike with his shoulder right to the head.

You said that Demeco was two steps away from Malcolm Floyd when he caught the ball as if that is ample time to avoid the collision at the speed of the game. It isn't. It's about the timing and space that determines what considered dirty at the point of collision. Floyd lowered his head as Demeco was already primed to deliver the hit. Simply just not enough time.

Ugly:

You said that Demeco was two steps away from Malcolm Floyd when he caught the ball as if that is ample time to avoid the collision at the speed of the game. It isn't. It's about the timing and space that determines what considered dirty at the point of collision. Floyd lowered his head as Demeco was already primed to deliver the hit. Simply just not enough time.

Yes, and I believe there was enough time and space. There was almost enough for him to stop his forward motion all together, let alone to stop from delivering the blow to the head. But we don't have to agree.

No, we don't have to agree. The bigger problem at hand is Floyd's health and I'm sure we both have a commonality in regards to his recovery.

Edited by dutchff7