Vin

Chiefs @ Eagles

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20130919021&home=21&vis=12

(AP) -- Amidst the hype and emotion surrounding Andy Reid's return to Philadelphia this week, the veteran coach is doing his best to focus only on making sure the Kansas City Chiefs remain unbeaten.

Facing the Eagles for the first time since they fired him after 14 years as coach, Reid looks to guide the Chiefs to a 3-0 start Thursday night.

After leading Philadelphia to nine playoff appearances, six NFC East titles, five conference championship games and a Super Bowl berth, it's likely Reid will be consumed by plenty of emotions when he sets foot on Lincoln Financial Field. However, at least publicly, Reid is more concerned with preparing his new team on a short week to face an Eagles squad that has scored 63 points while starting 1-1.

"In this business you're focused in on getting your team ready to play," Reid told the Chiefs' official website. "That's where my energy is going to go. I haven't really thought about that other part at all. I don't necessarily plan on thinking about that. I want to make sure I concentrate on the game at hand and anything else becomes a distraction and I'm not going to let that happen.

"Every coach tells you these Thursday nights, it's a quick turnaround, and you just have to go. It's something you have to do. You buckle down and make sure you get it done."

After falling 33-30 at home to San Diego on Sunday, the Eagles are also sticking to the company line of focusing on the game and not Reid's return, which comes on the same night former quarterback Donovan McNabb's No. 5 jersey will be retired.

"It's just another football game," said Philadelphia's Michael Vick, who has thrown for 631 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions while posting the NFL's third-highest passer rating at 119.0. "We have to get ready, we can't focus on the whole dynamic of the situation. We have a football game to prepare for, and we have to do everything to ensure that we have a chance to win the football game. That is what is most important. It's our third game in 11 days, but we're conditioned for it.

"We're ready for it."

Vick and his teammates understand that these are not the same Chiefs who went 2-14 in 2012.

"Most of these guys are from last year and the taste we had in our mouths last year, nobody ever wants to feel that again," Kansas City defensive tackle Dontari Poe said. "Everybody's focused. Everybody is working hard and making sure that don't happen."

Kansas City, which last started 3-0 in 2010, trailed Dallas by six in the third quarter Sunday before Alex Smith hit Dwayne Bowe with a go-ahead 12-yard TD in a 17-16 victory.

Smith has thrown four touchdowns and no interceptions.

Defensively, the Chiefs have allowed one touchdown and recorded nine sacks, but they face a daunting task this week.

Under Reid's replacement Chip Kelly, Philadelphia's fast-paced, no-huddle offense has totaled 954 yards and seven touchdowns. LeSean McCoy has rushed for 237 yards on 42 carries and gained 119 on six receptions.

A rib injury limited receiver DeSean Jackson to 45 receptions, 700 yards and two TDs in 11 games in 2012, but he's caught 16 balls for 297 and matched that touchdown total this year.

"We've studied them a lot in the offseason," Kansas City defensive coordinator Bob Sutton said. "We've been grinding since (Sunday) night. I don't think the problem will be seeing it, the problem will be getting the plan in and executing it."

Some questionable clock management late in Philadelphia's loss Sunday proved Kelly is learning on the job.

His offense continued running the hurry-up on their tying drive late in the fourth quarter that featured three straight incomplete passes taking up 14 seconds. After Alex Henery's 32-yard field goal tied it at 30, Philip Rivers had plenty of time to march the Chargers 51 yards to set up Nick Novak's go-ahead 46-yarder with 7 seconds remaining.

"Could we have (run more of a ball-controlled offense)? Sure," Kelly said. "But we wouldn't have scored a lot of points. So you're in a Catch 22. We were behind, so you've got to try to score to get back into the game, and you can play that game and say, `Hey, let's work the clock here a little bit.' But if you start handcuffing our offense, then we may not have scored enough points to make it even a tied game, so now you're playing the other way."

Philadelphia has won three straight against Kansas City, most recently 34-14 at home in 2009. Jackson caught six passes for 149 yards, including a 64-yard touchdown from Kevin Kolb. Tight end Brent Celek had eight for 104 yards with a score and McCoy rushed for 84 and a TD.

Eagles-Chiefs injury report: Bradley Fletcher on track to start Thursday

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/9/17/4741726/eagles-chiefs-injury-report-bradley-fletcher-start-anthony-fasano

For the Philadelphia Eagles, there isn't much to update when it comes to the injury report.

Starting CB Bradley Fletcher returned to practice yesterday and seems to be on track to start against the Chiefs on Thursday night. That's great news since the Eagles are thin at cornerback. Reserve offensive lineman Dennis Kelly also returned to practice on Monday.

CB Brandon Hughes did not practice for the second straight day (hamstring).

The following Eagles players were full participants in practice:

Brandon Boykin (quad)

Brent Celek (shoulder)

Bradley Fletcher (concussion)

Jason Kelce (thumb)

Dennis Kelly (back)

Mychal Kendricks (groin)

--------------

On the Kansas City Chiefs' side, starting tight end Anthony Fasano missed practice.

Did Not Participate

TE Anthony Fasano

Limited Participants

CB Brandon Flowers

TE Travis Kelce

Full Participants

OT Brandon Albert (shoulder)

DE Mike Devito (neck)

LB James-Michael Johnson (neck)

LB Nico Johnson (ankle)

LB Dezman Moses (toe)

I'm so excited for this game. This game has been marked on my calendar for a long time. This is a huge game for several reasons. It definitely has sentimental value Reid coming to our house after a 14 year affair. We simply can't allow Reid coming into our house and get a win; bad enough we let Mcnabb do that. Also, we can't afford going 1-2 going against the Broncos so this is a must win game.

The matchup battles will be interesting. I expect our defense to be horrible again but one of my concerns is the Chiefs pass rush with Hali and Houston. This matchup will be a challenge for our O-line and hopefully they are up for the test. If their pass rush hits home, I see many bad things such as turnovers and I also wouldn't be surprised to see some corner blitzes sent Vick's way from Reid due to familiarity with his weaknesses. I wouldn't be surprised if Jamaal Charles scorched us but if we can negate the Chiefs pass rush, I think our offense will flourish. I expect Mccoy to get a lot of looks and get him in some screens and HB draws to negate that pass rush. I'm relieved the Chiefs don't have a "grade A" Te (unless someone steps up) because we usually struggle with them. So we get to focus on Bowe and Donnie Avery (who I have a feeling will be a potential problem and maybe Mccluster as well).

If our offense can continue to take care of the ball and give Mccoy his fair amount of touches, I think we have a shot. I'm somewhat skeptical of Reid coming back into our house but I know we have the talent on our team to get the job done. I'm more worried about their defense (pass rush) than their offense even considering how horrible our defense is because I know we can match them in a shootout if need be.

Riding with my Eagles in this must win game.

:Eagles: 30

:Chiefs: 24

This game really interests me. The Chiefs are clearly better, but I question their ability to come from behind when the opposition can establish a decent lead. So far they haven't had to ask Alex Smith to push the ball down the field. If the Eagles put up the kind of points that we've seen in the first two weeks from them, I can imagine Smith making some mistakes as he tries to keep up. I'm betting the Eagles win this one going away.

:Chiefs: 20

:Eagles: 34

Like dutch, I absolutely can't wait to watch this game. Both teams are vastly improved from last year, and I need to see who is for real and who is not. Philly's o-line vs. the KC front with Hali and Houston is the matchup to watch and will determine the flow of this game. I'm going to give the edge to KC, I think the Philly defense is just vulnerable enough to let Jamal Charles have a big day.

:Chiefs: 27

:Eagles: 21

Could be impact injuries:

Brandon Flowers has been limited this week. Could mean DeSean Jackson does even more damage than he would otherwise.

Anthony Fasano has been ruled out. That leaves the cupboard pretty much bare at TE for the Chiefs. Pretty meaningful considering that the Eagles' linebackers and safeties have looked lost in coverage. Alex Smith and this offense attacks the middle of the field with the short passing game much moreso than outside the numbers or deep down the field. And Smith clearly likes throwing to Fasano.

Chiefs defense is great but LeSean McCoy's train is unstoppable. Plus. I expect another great game from DeSean Jackson.

:Chiefs: 24

:Eagles: 30

Edited by housemd

What the fuck happened to Moeaki, or whatever?

What the fuck happened to Moeaki, or whatever?

Think he suffered a season ending injury in the offseason.

Give me the Chiefs. Really like how their D played vs the Cowboys last week. Dontari Poe is starting to look like he's coming into his own as a force on the D-Line.

:Chiefs: 27

:Eagles: 23

I'll take the :Chiefs: Philly's defense is too soft right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see another high scoring game like the one last week vs. SD.

I just want to see our new coach Chip Kelly out coach his predecessor, our old coach Reid. Hopefully our guys can execute on the field though.

Chiefs CB Brandon Flowers (knee) is active for Week 3 against the Eagles.

As is LT Branden Albert (shoulder). Flowers is off to a rough start this season, and got torched by Dez Bryant in Week 2. He'll have his hands full with DeSean Jackson.
Among the inactives for the Chiefs are TEs Anthony Fasano and Travis Kelce, meaning practice-squad type Sean McGrath will get the start.
Also inactive for the Chiefs are QB Tyler Bray, G/C Eric Kush, LB Josh Martin, LB Nico Johnson and DT Jaye Howard.

Eagles DE Vinny Curry is active for Week 3 against the Chiefs.

The oft-discussed former second-round pick had been a healthy scratch for the Eagles' first two games.
Inactive for the Eagles are QB Matt Barkley, TE Emil Igwenagu, OT Dennis Kelly, OG Matt Tobin, CB Roc Carmichael, CB Jordan Poyer and DL Damion Square.

:Chiefs: 20

:Eagles: 24

- Leave wide open lane on opening kickoff.

- Fumble punt inside your own red zone.

- Throw two unpressured interceptions, one for 6.

- Snap the ball into your freaking RIGHT GUARD for a turnover.

- Botch the conversion attempt.

It's amazing that they're only down by 7. I guess that's what happens when the opposing QB can't make NFL throws.

Edited by KempBolt
  • Upvote 1

Man. Props to the Chiefs' defense, but the Eagles absolutely gift wrapped this game. Kelly better make sure he can get his team ready to play in general before he spends any more time worrying about how quickly they hand the ball to the official.

• Upvote 2

Gift wrapped? The Chiefs wrestled it out of their hands with relative ease. The better team won by double digits.

Ya.. I dunno about gift wrapped... THat defense is nasty. just nasty. Eagles not scoring TDs killed them, Michael Vick killed them... Donnie Avery and Jamaal Charles killed them. Sure you can say what you want about the 5 turnovers, but... Better team won.

Gift wrapped? The Chiefs wrestled it out of their hands with relative ease. The better team won by double digits.

Muffed punt in their own redzone, unpressured pick, unpressured pick six, and a fumbled snap. That's giving a game away. Not saying that the Chiefs aren't better, but yes- the Eagles put a bow on that one and handed it to them.

Muffed punt in their own redzone, unpressured pick, unpressured pick six, and a fumbled snap. That's giving a game away. Not saying that the Chiefs aren't better, but yes- the Eagles put a bow on that one and handed it to them.

That's Michael Vick being Michael Vick... Eagles must gift wrap all of their losses. lol

That's Michael Vick being Michael Vick... Eagles must gift wrap all of their losses. lol
I would call any game with that many unforced turnovers "gift wrapped." Doesn't take anything away from the opposing team, just points out that they made it easy for them. Don't see how that could be so controversial. Didn't realize that was Vick returning punts and snapping the football. lol Edited by KempBolt