Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

TGP Power Rankings Week 3

Something has happened this week that has never happened in this history of doing power rankings. The Cleveland Browns are ranked above the Pittsburgh Steelers.

1. :Broncos: (-): Another week, another win. Darren McFadden was completely bottled up by the Broncos defense.

2. :Seahawks: (-): After a thrashing of Jacksonville, which even continued after putting in their second stringers, Seattle is sitting pretty at 3-0 with every other team in the NFC West being 1-2.

3. :Bears: (+1): The old Bears would have crumbled after being up 24-3 and then suddenly finding themselves only up 27-23. These Bears put together a drive and made plays and took control of the game back from the Steelers.

4. :Saints: (+2): Nawlins dominated Arizona in a game a lot of people thought the Cards had a good chance of pulling the upset.

5. :Ravens: (+3): The Superbowl champs get back on track with a dominating win over a Texans squad that was a bit lucky to be at 2-0 in the first place.

6. :Patriots: (+3): The Pats beat up on a struggling Tampa team that, again, a lot of people thought might pull an upset.

7. :Bengals: (+4): Cincy pulls off a stunner against the Packers, with their defense coming up big in the fourth quarter with the go-ahead TD and then the stop on Rodgers and the Pack's final drive.

8. :dolphins: (+5): The Fins are 3-0 for the first time since 2002 and they've beaten two quality teams in the Colts and the Falcons. That's enough for them to crack the top-10.

9. :Chiefs: (+6): An impressive defense display from Kansas City, shutting down Philly's high flying offense, and they too are 3-0.

10. :Packers: (-6): Green Bay falls to a good Cincy club. Aaron Rodgers had trouble all day, which brings up troubling questions for the Packers moving forward.

11. :Falcons: (-4): Atlanta was beat up going into Miami, but the question mark for this team continues to be the offensive line. Snelling filled in admirably for the injured Steven Jackson, and when Roddy White gets back, Atlanta is still going to be a force to be reckoned with.

12. :Colts: (+8): A statement win from Indianapolis, going into San Francisco a week after a tough loss to Miami and absolutely dominating the 49ers.

13. :49ers: (-10): Two blowouts in a row result in a large drop for San Fran. With Aldon Smith being suspended indefinitely now, and Colin Kaepernick struggling, it is safe to wonder if San Fran is going to be able to remain in the race for the NFC West against the red hot Seahawks.

14. :Cowboys: (+2): Dallas destroyed the Rams in a great comeback game after last week's loss to the Chiefs. Just a great all around performance.

15. :Texans: (-5): Houston got wrecked by the Ravens defense. With two tough teams next on the slate in SF and Seattle, they may end up 2-3 after a 2-0 start.

16. :Titans: (+6): This team may end up surprising a lot of people. The Titans are 2-1 and their only loss was a tough one in OT to the Texans. The defense is playing lights out and Locker is doing what is needed.

17. :Lions: (+3): The Lions first ever win over the Redskins in Washington was a close one as Detroit moves to 2-1. They got the W and that's what counts at the end of the day.

18. :panthers: (+7): Well that's one way to prevent losing close games: blow out your opponent 38-0. A good team still needs to be able to win close ones, though. Rivera can breathe a little easier entering the bye week.

19. :Eagles: (-7): The Eagles offense got grounded against the Chiefs. They need to fix their defensive struggles as well, letting the Chiefs offense get 26 points is not a good indication.

20. :Chargers: (-6): Another gut wrenching close loss from the Chargers. This team is maddeningly inconsistent, and they need to be able to play complete games in multiple weeks.

21. :Rams: (-4): The Rams got manhandled against the Cowboys. I thought they would be more competitive than that.

22. :Cardinals: (-4): Arizona got destroyed by the Saints in New Orleans. Again, thought this would be more competitive.

23. :Jets: (+4): The Jets took care of business at home against a division rival, and the team that everyone thought would be a disaster is 2-1.

24. :Bills: (-1): The Bills were competitive against the Jets, but they needed the win against a Jets squad that isn't that great of a team. Instead they let Santonio Holmes look like the his old self en route to 150 yards and a touchdown.

25. :Redskins: (-1): A close loss to the Lions drops them to 0-3. RG3 is still not back to his old self and its pretty obvious watching him.

26. :Browns: (+5): Wow. No T-Rich, and no Brandon Weeden and the Browns offense comes alive in a 31-27 victory over the Vikings. Lombardi is trying to figure out what's going on, he was trying to tank the season and then the team goes and does that.

27. :Steelers: (-1): An 0-3 start for Pittsburgh does not bode well. Their offensive line looks awful, their run game is non existent, and Antonio Brown is the lone bright spot on the offense.

28. :Giants: (-7): The Giants got thrashed by Carolina 38-0. Absolutely nothing worked on offense all day long, and besides one INT by the defense, the G-men couldn't stop the Panthers offense either. They are still very much alive in a weak NFC East, but they need to put it together soon, and a trip to Arrowhead to face the 3-0 Chiefs is not going to be an easy place to start.

29. :Raiders: (-1): Oakland looked better than expected, but Darren McFadden being completely bottled up is a troubling sign for the future.

30. :Vikings: (-1): The Vikes are really bad. That defense letting Brian Hoyer put up a 30-spot is just unacceptable. Jordan Cameron scoring at the end of the game looked eerily similar to last week when Martellus Bennet did the same thing to Minnesota.

31. :Bucs: (-1): So much for all the talk of Tampa pulling a potential upset over New England. Now sitting at 0-3 in a tough NFC South, the Bucs are in some serious trouble. You have to wonder when Schiano lets Mike Glennon try his hand.

32. :jags: (-): Jacksonville got smothered in Seattle, as we expected. Not really sure what else to say here. Cecil Shorts looked good in garbage time against Seattle's second-team defense?

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

26. :Browns: (+5): Wow. No T-Rich, and no Brandon Weeden and the Browns offense comes alive in a 31-27 victory over the Vikings. Lombardi is trying to figure out what's going on, he was trying to tank the season and then the team goes and does that.

27. :Steelers: (-1): An 0-3 start for Pittsburgh does not bode well. Their offensive line looks awful, their run game is non existent, and Antonio Brown is the lone bright spot on the offense.

28. :Giants: (-7): The Giants got thrashed by Carolina 38-0. Absolutely nothing worked on offense all day long, and besides one INT by the defense, the G-men couldn't stop the Panthers offense either. They are still very much alive in a weak NFC East, but they need to put it together soon, and a trip to Arrowhead to face the 3-0 Chiefs is not going to be an easy place to start.

28. :Browns: (+5): Wow. No T-Rich, and no Brandon Weeden and the Browns offense comes alive in a 31-27 victory over the Vikings. Lombardi is trying to figure out what's going on, he was trying to tank the season and then the team goes and does that.

29. :Raiders: (-1): Oakland looked better than expected, but Darren McFadden being completely bottled up is a troubling sign for the future.

I was thinking wow he was so impressed with the Browns they made the list twice and couldn't figure out who you left off. The I saw the numbers on the side.

3am not a good time to try power rankings Thanatos :)

• Upvote 1

1. :Broncos:

2. :Seahawks:

3. :Chiefs:

4. :Saints:

5. :Bears:

6. :patriots:

7. :dolphins:

8. :Ravens:

9. :Bengals:

10. :Cowboys:

11. :Falcons:

12. :Lions:

13. :Packers:

14. :Titans:

15. :Colts:

16. :Texans:

17. :49ers:

18. :panthers:

19. :Chargers:

20. :Jets:

21. :Bills:

22. :Eagles:

23. :Browns:

24. :Rams:

25. :Redskins:

26. :Giants:

27. :Raiders:

28. :Cardinals:

29. :Vikings:

30. :Steelers:

31. :Bucs:

32. :jags:

15. :Colts:

16. :Texans:

interesting arrangement, I highlight it only because you put them right together, I'd think the Titans would be the bottom of those three, they lost to the Texans just a week ago and I would have trouble putting them ahead of the Colts right now

Defense. That defense is impressing me game after game, Verner is looking like a shutdown corner, Jurrell Casey is coming into his own as a big time rush DT, and they're finding ways to get a good pass rush going with the other guys. Jake Locker may be hit or miss, but he's figuring out how to be a hit in the 4th, and that offensive line finally looks tolerable.

Compare to the Texans who are constantly falling behind in games, and the trio of players who were looking like the Triplets just two years ago are now looking like liabilities as age and injury take over. They've still got some strong defenders, and young upstarts taking charge (DeAndre Hopkins may be the offensive rookie of the year, and Ben Tate is Ben Tate.)

The Colts are tough... I don't want to say they've become a threat partially because I can't believe it. The offense has taken huge strides, and while Andy Luck has improved immensely, the biggest improvement on that team is Anthony Castonzo, he's basically blanked Miami and San Fran's pass rush two weeks in a row. The defensive line investment seems to have worked, they've got the big bodies there to stop the run, something they haven't had since... um... that brief span in the 2006 playoffs I guess. They could keep improving, if that San Fran game is any indication of what this team could become. Keep Luck clean, let him manage the game without going overboard, rely on Bradshaw and Richardson to punish defenses focused on the pass and hopefully make sure your back seven doesn't screw you.

• Upvote 1

1.:Broncos:

2.:Seahawks:

3.:Bears:

4.:Saints:

5.:Patriots:

6.:Bengals:

7.:Chiefs:

8.:Packers:

9.:dolphins:

10.:Colts:

11.:Cowboys:

12.:49ers:

13.:Ravens:

14.:Texans:

15.:Titans:

16.:Falcons:

17.:Eagles:

18.:Lions:

19.:panthers:

20.:Rams:

21.:Chargers:

22.:Jets:

23.:Cardinals:

24.:Browns:

25.:Bucs:

26.:Vikings:

27.:Steelers:

28.:Bills:

29.:Raiders:

30.:Redskins:

31.:Giants:

32.:jags:

Can we get the Packers out of the top 10, for now at least? And the Falcons for anyone who's put them there? 1-2 teams are clearly struggling at the beginning of the season, and who says they'll right the ship?

Can we get the Packers out of the top 10, for now at least? And the Falcons for anyone who's put them there? 1-2 teams are clearly struggling at the beginning of the season, and who says they'll right the ship?

The Packers lost 2 close games on the road against two talented teams. They have been hit hard by injuries and now they have a BYE week to recover. It makes sense to keep them in the top 10.

13 and 11 respectively. The thing about the Falcons is the teams they've lost to are undefeated, and they were both close games that could have easily been turned, which is why I'm higher on them than most. The Packers are losing in tough fashion, and Aaron Rodgers not being a good fourth quarter guy is hurting now that the Packers are no longer winning games by the third quarter anymore. There is a lot more dysfunction on that team than you'd think.

1. :Seahawks: (3-0) Seahawks took care of business against the Jags. As expected, Russell Wilson and the offense looked much better against a non top 5 pass rush.

2. :Broncos: (3-0) Broncos cleaned house against the Raiders. Still want to see them perform against a team that isn't struggling, but as they say, you can only play whose on your schedule.

3. :Bears: (3-0) Ask and ye shall recieve. Last week I said the Bears couldn't survive on narrow wins and they respond by putting away the Steelers with ease.

4. :Saints: (3-0) Gotta give props where props are due. The Saints are looking strong. I thought the Cardinals might cause them problems. Nope.

5. :Patriots: (3-0) After two lackluster wins against the Bills and Jets, the Pats easily put away the floundering Buccaneers, and in doing so look much more like their old selves.

6. :Bengals: (2-1) The Bengals score a monster win over the Packers and jump up the rankings. This is a strong team and is playing like it.

7. :Ravens: (2-1) The Ravens take a giant step toward righting the ship by putting away the Houston Texans. I'm not quite sold that they're back in force quite yet though.

8. :dolphins: (3-0) The Dolphins are a legitamate surprise this year. With another big win against a good team it looks like the Patriots have competition this year.

9. :Colts: (2-1) The Colts fly up the board after putting a gigantic beating on the 49ers, and Ahmad Bradshaw shows he's still a great running back. Step back Trent Richardson!

10. :49ers: (1-2) Last week I gave the Niners the benefit of the doubt. This week they'll just have to wear it. They got crushed for the second time in two weeks. Listen to Frank Gore. Run the damn ball!

11. :Packers: (1-2) After two big losses to top teams questions finally start to loom about the Packers. It's going to take more than Aaron Rodgers to keep them hanging with the big dogs this year.

12.:Texans: (2-1) The Texans got completely embarrassed by the Ravens. The next two games against the Seahawks and 49ers will do much to decide whether they are for real or not.

13. :Chiefs: (3-0) The Chiefs are 3-0. I did not see that coming. This defense is amazing, though the offense leaves something to be desired. Still, whatever is working, right?

14. :Cowboys: (2-1) The Cowboys put up their first complete game in what seems like years, and completely dress down the Rams. The question now is can they play that way every week?

15. :Falcons: (1-2) The Falcons are ooking nothing like the team that got to the NFCCG last year. Mostly probably because of injuries, which raises the question if they have the depth to survive.

16. :Titans: (2-1) The Titans continue to look surprisingly good. I don't know what happened down there, but something is definately clicking that hasn't been for awhile.

17. :Lions: (2-1) Speaking of surprisingly good. The Lions are figuring out ways to get wins. With the Packers floundering they're right in the race for the North.

18. :panthers: (1-2) Okay, who was that man and what did he do with Ron Rivera? The Panthers absolutely murdered the Giants. Now if they can learn to win the close ones...

19 :Rams: (1-2) I really expected more out of the Rams, but so far their tough little defense that could from last year has become the shitty little defense that couldn't this year. What gives?

20. :Cardinals: (1-2) Well it was New Orleans, and Fitz is nursing an injury. No reason to panic just yet, but things could definately be going better.

21. :Chargers: (1-2) Another narrow loss for the Chargers. As improved as they've looked it's becoming apparent that this team just isn't ready to play consistantly yet.

22. :Eagles: (1-2) Chip Kelly's amazing offense from week one isn't clicking anymore, and their defense is continuing to hemmorage points. Philly needs to figure something out fast.

23. :Jets: (2-1) The Jets continue to be frusteratingly better than predicted. They take out the Bills in a surprisngly good game and continue moving up. STOP SAVING REX RYAN'S JOB GENO!

24. :Browns: (1-2) The Browns traded away T-Rich and the entire world shook their heads. Then they took down the Vikings with Brian Hoyer under center and the entire world's heads exploded.

25. :Bills: (1-2) The Bills played a competative game against the Jets, but couldn't pull it out in the end. At least E.J. Manuel still looks good.

26. :Redskins: (0-3) RG3 is still struggling and the Redskins are still free-falling down the rankings. Let this be a lesson to the entire league. Not everyone can be Adrian Peterson and put up their best season ever after coming back from a knee injury.

27. :Vikings: (0-3) How do you let the Browns. THE BRIAN HOYER LED BROWNS put up 30 points on your defense? It's official. The wheels have fallen off in Minnesota. AP won't single handedly save your season this time.

28. :Raiders: (1-2) The Raiders predictably got their asses handed to them by the Broncos. Pryor still looks good though. He just needs some weapons and a defense.

29. :Giants: (0-3) The Giants are making a legitamate case for worst team I've ever seen in my life. Every thing about this team from Eli on down looks like abject shit. What in the hell happened?

30. :Steelers: (0-3) The Steelers drop to 0-3 after taking a beating form the Bears. Next week they head to London to play the Vikings in the first annual Shitbowl. At least someone has to win.

31. :Bucs: (0-3) The Bucs Dear god the Bucs. Remember whene veryone was high on this team? Remember when their defnese was supposed to be elite? Yeah, our bad.

32. :jags: (0-3) Nobody is suprised the Jags lost to the Seahawks. Despite losing to Seattle's backups they can at least take heart in the fact that they didn't put up the worst performance of the week.

Defense. That defense is impressing me game after game, Verner is looking like a shutdown corner, Jurrell Casey is coming into his own as a big time rush DT, and they're finding ways to get a good pass rush going with the other guys. Jake Locker may be hit or miss, but he's figuring out how to be a hit in the 4th, and that offensive line finally looks tolerable.

I don't disagree at all, I guess I just figured my opinion isn't exactly impartial

While I'm at it, here are my rankings:

1. :Broncos:

2. :Seahawks:

3. :Saints:

4. :Chiefs:

5. :Patriots:
6. :Bears:

7. :dolphins:

8. :Bengals:
9. :Colts:

10. :49ers:

11. :Ravens:

12. :Packers:
13. :Texans:

15. :panthers:

16. :Falcons:

17. :Lions:

18. :Cowboys:
19. :Jets:

20. :Chargers:

21. :Eagles:
22. :Rams:
23. :Bills:

24. :Browns:
25. :Cardinals:

26. :Redskins:

27. :Giants:

28. :Bucs:

29. :Raiders:
30. :Steelers:
31. :Vikings:

32. :jags:

28. :Browns: (+5): Wow. No T-Rich, and no Brandon Weeden and the Browns offense comes alive in a 31-27 victory over the Vikings. Lombardi is trying to figure out what's going on, he was trying to tank the season and then the team goes and does that.

I was thinking wow he was so impressed with the Browns they made the list twice and couldn't figure out who you left off. The I saw the numbers on the side.

3am not a good time to try power rankings Thanatos :)

*waves hand* I have no idea what you are talking about.

The Packers lost 2 close games on the road against two talented teams. They have been hit hard by injuries and now they have a BYE week to recover. It makes sense to keep them in the top 10.

No it doesn't. The 9ers have already proven to not be as good as the past two years (at this point, anyway), and the Bengals are pretty good but certainly not great.

No it doesn't. The 9ers have already proven to not be as good as the past two years (at this point, anyway), and the Bengals are pretty good but certainly not great.

It's real early to say either.

It's also kind of odd that you want to just look at these three weeks and then turn around and say the Bengals aren't a great team. They're top-10 and their only loss was a close one to Chicago.

Gregg Williams is what happened to the Titans. He's a defensive mastermind, truly underrated.

So anyone think the 49ers made the wrong decision to bench Alex Smith? Because that move seems like it'll have Bobby Layne like implications. Kaepernick is showing a bit of a sophomore slump right now... Alex Smith got over his sophomore... and third year... and fourth year... slump.

Edited by RazorStar

Guest Phailadelphia

So anyone think the 49ers made the wrong decision to bench Alex Smith? Because that move seems like it'll have Bobby Layne like implications. Kaepernick is showing a bit of a sophomore slump right now... Alex Smith got over his sophomore... and third year... and fourth year... slump.

Kaep is throwing to Kyle Williams and some guy I've never heard of named McDonald. Can we at least wait until he gets Davis, Crabtree, and company back before asking if the 49ers should have kept the guy who has trouble throwing accurately beyond 20 yards?

I'm with Phail. It's too soon to call Kaep a failure. Also, I don't think the 49ers problems lie all on Kaep's shoulders. Moreso on the management. Harbaugh and Roman keep trying to call a pass heavy game with all their top pass options injured. They are totally ignoring the run game even when it works, and not just when they're down. They're asking Kaep to be Aaron Rodgers and he just isn't ready for it. They won't let him go up and down the field, and they won't run the ball, so what's Kaep to do? His confidence seems to be shot after the Seattle game and forcing him to play a new playstyle isn't doing him any favors.

Harbaugh needs to let his team do what they were built to do instead of continuing to plow forward with this pass first, pass second, pass third, and fuck the run nonsense he's been pushing on them.

Edited by Jayrus
  • Upvote 2

Gregg Williams is what happened to the Titans. He's a defensive mastermind, truly underrated.

I'm not sure he's so much underrated as the perception of him is tainted by bountygate, I think most people still see him as a very good defensive coordinator in spite of his failure as a head coach