Piggly Wiggly

MLB 2013 Postseason thread

I can't believe the Braves didn't put in the best NL closer in the bottom of the 8th. I know it's not normal, but it was their biggest, must-win game of the season. I believe he was warmed up, too, and looked pissed off in the bullpen after the Uribe homer.

They deserved to lose.

Edited by BLUE

Tommy, I tried telling you for months the Braves were gonna be one and done... :yep:

We've all been telling Tommy that the Braves were going one and done for months...

No faith in AJ Burnett for the Pirates, eh? Interesting but not totally surprising. Should be a good match up. While I, obviously, want to win... I can't be mad no matter how this turns out. Been such a fantastic season.

Oh.. and Michael Wacha is possessed. 16 innings, 2 hits, 1 ER, and 18 Ks in his last two starts. MONSTER. I had to miss it for work, and it pisses me off I did. :(

Not in St. Louis, and besides, Cole has quietly been almost as good as Liriano since late August. Definitely our second best pitcher at the moment, though Morton turned in a great effort yesterday as well. I'm in the same boat. The Pirates far surpassed not only the expectations of most baseball fans, but even my own. Never in a million years did I dream they would make it this far this year. And, young as they are, they will be back again sooner rather than later. This is only the beginning of what the team can and hopefully will be.

Edited by Sarge

No faith in AJ Burnett for the Pirates, eh? Interesting but not totally surprising. Should be a good match up. While I, obviously, want to win... I can't be mad no matter how this turns out. Been such a fantastic season.

Oh.. and Michael Wacha is possessed. 16 innings, 2 hits, 1 ER, and 18 Ks in his last two starts. MONSTER. I had to miss it for work, and it pisses me off I did. :(

Not in St. Louis, and besides, Cole has quietly been almost as good as Liriano since late August. Definitely our second best pitcher at the moment, though Morton turned in a great effort yesterday as well. I'm in the same boat. The Pirates far surpassed not only the expectations of most baseball fans, but even my own. Never in a million years did I dream they would make it this far this year. And, young as they are, they will be back again sooner rather than later. This is only the beginning of what the team can and hopefully will be.

Oh ya, Not saying I am totally shocked. We bend AJ over practically every time he steps foot in St. Louis :laugh: And while I think it was the right decision, I just dunno.. Maybe I was just not expecting Hurdle to actually make the call.. I was just assuming Burnett would be on the mound, which is where the slight surprise comes from.

I got monies on the Red Soxs and As today so they better win. Soxs are facing dogshit Hellickson.

I got monies on the Red Soxs and As today so they better win. Soxs are facing dogshit Hellickson.

I have the A's +1.5 and Red Sox -121 ML :yep:

I understand that Gonzalez was trying to use Carpenter as he had all season....BUT this wasn't the regular season. Carpenter had already been lit up one game. Not sure if he had big butterflies in his stomach or not. I do know that in big games some players just can't step up against the tougher competition. Some players step up great. Garcia had pitched a great game and the Braves had a strong season when leading going into the 8th inning. Not in the playoff though.

Guess it is easy to say in retrospect that Kimbrel should had been in the game.

I have the A's +1.5 and Red Sox -121 ML :yep:

I just bet on straight up wins. Screw that spread BS in baseball.

Even though I don't bet on the games I would love to see the A's and Red Sox pull out these series today. I would also like to see the Pirates move on tomorrow.

I wanna see a Red Sox-Dodgers WS because it's the matchup of the best team in each league. So long as St. Louis doesn't win it all I don't care who does. I love baseball and will watch the rest of the playoffs with great enthusiasm. It sucks that we're out but shit happens.

I'd rather see the Pirates and the Athletics. I haven't been a dodgers fan since the days of Ron Cey, Steve Garvey, Davey Lopes and the bunch.

I was so mad when we had bases loaded no outs in the 2nd inning and Salty struck out and Drew lined into a double play. Felt like the Rays had the momentum all night and when they took the lead 1-0 in the 6th I was pretty nervous. Top of the 7th though: Bogaerts had a clutch walk, Jacoby with a bloop hit to center, wild pitch ties it and gets Jacoby over to 3rd, and then Victorino's bleeder to SS brings home the winning run.

Funny how baseball works. Last night Jose Lobaton was the hero with the walk off homer, but tonight he has the crucial gaffe of the game behind the plate not being able to block the pitch in the dirt and it got behind him for a wild pitch and Bogaerts scored and Jacoby got over to 3rd. That wild pitch was the key play of the game. I mean it's not an easy play for the catcher to make but IMO a good catcher blocks it.

Can't say enough about Peavy and the bullpen as well.

Peavy only went 5 and 2/3rds, but he was great. If it's a regular season game he probably could've gone 7 or 8, but I completely agreed with Farrell to take him out there in the 6th and go with Breslow who's been super dependable all year. Breslow and Tazawa get the next 6 out of 7 hitters out setting up Uehara for the 4 out save and he gets the 4 outs without any trouble at all.

Great win, I would have been shitting my pants if we had to play a game 5 tomorrow.

Edited by BradyFan81

And so ends the best season I have ever watched for the Pirates. I only hope that there will be more seasons like this, and even better ones to come. Only 4 months until Spring Training!

Carlos Beltran is just using ever fiber of epicness to win us games...Scored all three runs and threw out the go-ahead run in the 10th inning. Seriously, what more can the guy do?

In two games so far though, Joe Kelly has come through. He was on the road VS Francisco Liriano, and then the game tonight against Grienke. He didn't out pitch either guy, not by any stretch of the imagination... But he's kept the pace and not made any disturbingly awful pitches. He's kept us in those games against amazingly good opponent pitchers. Very proud of what Kelly has done in this post season, if though he doesn't have a win and the raw numbers will leave you underwhelmed.

Beltran is one of those players who always seems to come up big in the post season.

Michael Wacha!!!!

Although.. How cruel that Clayton gives up 2 hits in 6 innings and still loses. I didn't get to watch the game, so somebody fill me in please... Why did he come out so early?

Michael Wacha!!!!

Although.. How cruel that Clayton gives up 2 hits in 6 innings and still loses. I didn't get to watch the game, so somebody fill me in please... Why did he come out so early?

Pinch hit for in the top of the 7th, IIRC. :yep:

That was kind of a must win. Down 0-2 and going against Verlander in Comerica would not have been good.

Ortiz is a fucking legend.

That was kind of a must win. Down 0-2 and going against Verlander in Comerica would not have been good.

Ortiz is a fucking legend.

Yeah, he's awesome in the clutch for sure.

Watching the video last night I saw that Torii Hunter came very close to snagging that ball. That was one of those moments that could have gone either way, and is a major reason why I love playoff baseball.

Put LA on the brink of elimination!!!! I won't count anything out though.. not after last year. I was thrilled then, too, until this douche happened...

scut.jpeg

The crazy thing is, the Cardinals aren't even playing the great amazing offensive baseball they did all season. Arguably our best hitter (Craig) has been out all playoffs, and Matt Carpenter (arguably the best lead-off man in the NL) has been on a massive slide. Our offense is just so much better when Carp is being productive from the opening spot.

That bullpen though... I don't know what the hell has possessed them to pitch like this. The young guys on this team aren't only not being liabilities.... They are carrying us (with the exception of The Great One [Carlos Beltran])

Both the Cardinals and the Red Sox are hitting about .130 in their respective series and have won 5 of 7 combined games. Crazy.

Edited by Favre4Ever