Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Panthers @ Vikings

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131013016&home=16&vis=29

(AP) -- Shaky quarterback play has been at the root of the Minnesota Vikings and Carolina Panthers' problems thus far.

Their Week 6 matchup Sunday in Minnesota could mark the final game before Josh Freeman takes over for the Vikings, while Carolina is counting on Cam Newton to turn things around.

Freeman practiced with Minnesota (1-3) for the first time Wednesday since signing with the club Sunday. But coach Leslie Frazier ruled out any possibility that Freeman would start this week's game as he tries to digest a different offensive system.

All signs point to Frazier again giving the start to Matt Cassel, who took first-team reps in practice. Cassel completed 16 of 25 passes for 248 yards and two touchdowns in his first game for Minnesota, a 34-27 victory over Pittsburgh in London on Sept. 29.

"One thing you can expect in the NFL: expect the unexpected," Cassel said. "Because every week it changes. You never know what's going to happen. I learned that over time. This is my ninth year now."

Allowing Cassel that opportunity was a rib injury suffered by Christian Ponder, who is still limited in practice. Even if healthy, Ponder may have started his last game for the Vikings after throwing two TDs compared to five interceptions with a 65.9 passer rating in three contests this year.

Selected 12th overall by the Vikings in 2011, Ponder has one year remaining on his contract.

"On the surface, he'd question that," Frazier said. "He's human. I'm sure he has at times, but he just has to continue to work and work as hard as he can. And I think things will work out fine for Christian in the long term."

The Panthers (1-3) are enduring their third slow start in as many years with Newton at the helm after going 1-5 and 1-6 the previous two seasons. Their 22-6 loss at Arizona last week marked the first time since Nov. 13, 2011, that they failed to score a TD.

Newton was just 21 of 39 with three interceptions.

His 78.4 rating on the season is the lowest of his career and he's also found the end zone just once on the ground after totaling 22 rushing scores over the last two years.

Carolina ranks 27th in scoring (18.5 ppg) and 24th in total offense (329.0 ypg).

Newton also shouldered some of the blame for the team's second-half flops, as Carolina held a halftime lead in each of its losses.

"I think it's more on my behalf that I have to focus in and hone in on my skills and say 'Look, let me focus more in the second half and get the job done,'" said Newton, who was 22 of 35 for 290 yards and three touchdowns while also running six times for 53 yards in a 24-21 loss to Minnesota on Oct. 30, 2011.

Coach Ron Rivera pointed to shortcomings at other positions, particularly along the offensive line, which has surrendered 15 sacks, including seven to the Cardinals. He ruled left guard Amini Silatolu out for the rest of the season Monday due to a torn right ACL. The unit was already shorthanded after losing right guard Garry Williams for the year in Week 1.

"Teams are going to blitz us because they've had success blitzing us," left tackle Jordan Gross said. "We have to pick up the stuff we've seen them do and then the stuff we've haven't seen them do we have to adjust on the fly. We're going to see a lot of different looks and we have to do a better job of picking them up."

One player trying to get to Newton on Sunday will be defensive end Brian Robison, who signed a four-year extension Wednesday that could be worth up to $28 million.

Steve Smith has caught 37 passes for 625 yards and four TDs in six career games against Minnesota, including a career-best 201-yard performance in a 38-13 victory on Oct. 30, 2005.

The Vikings have scored a first-quarter touchdown in eight straight games, the longest active streak in the NFL, while the Panthers' streak of holding their last eight opponents scoreless in the first quarter is also the league's longest.

Minnesota has won its last six home games immediately following a bye and is 5-2 against Carolina at the Metrodome.

:panthers: 17

:Vikings: 21

Carolina's offense is just such a mess (that OL is disgusting).

Another tough close game but I have to go with the home team here.

Panthers: 13

Vikings: 17

I want AP to take a break this week. His son is in critical condition, and his focus by all means should be on his son. People may feel like he has an obligation to the team, but he has an obligation to his son that is greater than that. I will stomach a loss if that's the result of AP taking a break.

• Upvote 1

Close game means a close Vikings win.

I want AP to take a break this week. His son is in critical condition, and his focus by all means should be on his son. People may feel like he has an obligation to the team, but he has an obligation to his son that is greater than that. I will stomach a loss if that's the result of AP taking a break.

From what I've heard, he wasn't quite sure the son was his. If that's the case, then he may not have had the emotional connection that comes with having a child. Doesn't change the fact that this is an utterly dispicable act and a tragedy, but it may explain his willingness to play right away.

This was a difficult game to choose. The Panthers have been horrible on offense however I do trust their defense. The Vikings have been a mixed bag. Taking the Panthers and hope they can put something together offensively after a bye week.

:panthers: 28

:Vikings: 20

I don't see any way this game is low-scoring. The Vikes defense is awful, and Cam will destroy them.

But then Rivera will punt the ball on second and 2 because we cant make second and short anyway and he knows it, and AP will run the ball 80 yards in the 2 minute drill despite 11 people being in the box because of a series of A) breakdowns B) bad luck, and C) He is AP.

Thus, Vikings win.

:panthers: 30

:Vikings: 31

It would be a very bad look for the Panthers if they lose this game. I think Ron Rivera might get fired before the season is over after a few more losses. He doesn't know what to do with that talented team.

Edited by dutchff7

We gave away a home loss to the Browns; we will surely give away another home game to the Panthers.

This was a difficult game to choose. The Panthers have been horrible on offense however I do trust their defense. The Vikings have been a mixed bag. Taking the Panthers and hope they can put something together offensively after a bye week.

:panthers: 28

:Vikings: 20

The Panthers didn't have a bye. The Vikings did.

On paper the Vikings should win this game, but that seems to mean nothing to the Vikings. I think the Panthers come in and win this game much like the Browns did.

Panthers declared RB Kenjon Barner (foot) inactive for Sunday's Week 6 game against the Vikings.

Barner has been battling foot woes since the preseason. With Jonathan Stewart (ankles) due back Week 7, he's out of time to make an impact.
The rest of the Panthers inactives: WR Marvin McNutt, G Amini Silatolu, DT Dwan Edwards, CB Josh Norman, CB D.J. Moore and S Robert Lester.

Adrian Peterson (personal) is active for Sunday's game against the Panthers, as expected.

Peterson will be playing with a heavy heart as his 2-year-old son died Friday. He's our No. 1 fantasy play at the running back position. The Vikings will start Matt Cassel at quarterback, with a healthy Christin Ponder as his backup. Josh Freeman is inactive as he's not up to speed in the system yet.
The rest of the Vikings inactives: S Mistral Raymond, LB Gerald Hodges, LB Audie Cole, DT Chase Baker, DE Justin Trattou and G Jeff Baca.

AP is going to tear the Panthers' faces off like a domesticated chimpanzee.

:Vikings: 35

:panthers: 21

:yep:

I pounded the Vikings -2.5. AP will be playing with a ton of emotion and the rest of his teammates will be rallying around him to get that W.

Panthers fucked.

AP is going to tear the Panthers' faces off like a domesticated chimpanzee.

:Vikings: 35

:panthers: 21

:yep:

I pounded the Vikings -2.5. AP will be playing with a ton of emotion and the rest of his teammates will be rallying around him to get that W.

Panthers fucked.

Lol.

:panthers: 35

:Vikings: 3

Edited by Thanatos19

I'd like to tell you all that the Vikings lost to a good team...but they didn't. The Panthers offense is hilariously bad--Brandon LaFell isn't even going to be in the league in a few years, and he torched Minnesota! Can you believe that shit? Yeah yeah, I know, the injury lineup grew as the game went one. Xavier Rhodes, Harrison Smith, Desmond Bishop...but this is coaching causing these defensive issues. The Vikings over-scheme. They focus so much on a team's playmakers that lesser players torch them. Reggie Bush went off in week 1 because of the focus on Megatron. Marty B went off in week two because the Vikings focused way way way too much on Brandon Marshall. The Vikings focused hard on Steve Smith yesterday, and look what happened...they gave Cam easy throws, running lanes, and pretty much everything you could possibly need to succeed in an NFL game.

You don't sell out on a team's best player and trust that everybody else will be mediocre with the least amount of attention paid to them. These are NFL players, after all, but Brandon LaFell shouldn't torch ANYBODY'S secondary. Jesus Christ.

There are defensive pieces all over this Minnesota unit, and yet Alan Williams and Leslie Frazier can't put it together into a decent unit. You put an even remotely competent DC with this defense and they're a solid unit.

The Vikings coaching staff has gotten caught up in over-coaching, and they're not putting their players in position to succeed.

OH, and here's another tidbit...Christian Ponder is better than Matt Cassel...easily, and especially against a great front 7 that puts pressure on a QB. Matt Cassel is a statue. He should have been pulled by halftime. If you want to win games, Leslie, you've can't be scared to put a guy back in. Frazier sacrificed a game to keep the eventual Freeman ascendance in line. Fuck Matt Cassel. Inconsistency defined.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Um... I don't know why you think LaFell isn't going to be in the league in a few years. The kid is coming into his own. Now, I agree he shouldn't torch anyone atm, but he's shaping up to be a solid #2 WR.

The Panthers ARE a good football team- on paper. I don't know why people were saying the Vikes should win this on paper. I expected the Panthers to lose, but only because I figured they'd find some way to blow it in the 4th again. Carolina is a significantly better balanced ballclub than the Vikes and it showed yesterday. When the Panthers play well, they can play with anyone in the league except maybe Denver.

Carolina isn't going to let many people run on them. The Vikes rely on AP going off to win games. Thus, Carolina shuts down AP = easy win. Your WR position is worse than the Panthers at this point, with Ginn, (who should have had another TD, Cam just overthrew him), starting to look decent and LaFell deciding to bring it.

Carolina has three major weaknesses. The O-line is pretty bad in pass protect. Cam's mobility is disguising a lot of it, but they have some serious weak spots along that line. The WR corps is thin. Smitty, LaFell, Ginn, and Olsen are doing a bit better than I thought, but we need another legit weapon. And third, their coach doesn't know how to coach when the game is one the line. This one was never really in doubt, thus Rivera can't screw it up.

The Panthers are the type of team that could go into New Orleans and give them a beatdown and then turn around the following week and lose to Tampa. The team is frustratingly inconsistent and loses close games all the time, (6-15 in games decided by eight points or less since Rivera has been here). But when they are on, my god, they are on.

• Upvote 1

It's not like AP was completely shut down. He was having a decent game, and even had that big run in the second half for 31 yards. He didn't get carries, though it's not like giving him 20+ carries would have won us the game.

Carolina is better than Minny on the defensive line, at linebacker, and most importantly at QB.