Vin

Cowboys @ Lions

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/preview.asp?g=20131027008&home=8&vis=6

(AP) -- The receivers with the most touchdown catches in the NFC and the quarterbacks with the most scoring passes in the conference will meet this Sunday in Detroit.

Defensively, the Lions know they will have Ndamukong Suh, while the Dallas Cowboys are less certain of DeMarcus Ware's status.

This star-studded matchup of 4-3 teams has generated plenty of talk this week.

Detroit's Calvin Johnson and Dallas' Dez Bryant each have six TDs to lead all NFC receivers.

The Lions star caught nine passes for 155 yards and two scores in last Sunday's 27-24 loss to Cincinnati, including an amazing 50-yard tying TD grab while surrounded by three Bengals in the fourth quarter.

Bryant had eight receptions for 110 yards but did not reach the end zone in a 17-3 win at Philadelphia the same day. He made even more noise Monday in an interview with 103.3 FM ESPN in Dallas when he was asked about Johnson.

"I believe I can do whatever he can do," Bryant said. "I think it's just a pride thing. When it comes to football, just being on the field, it's a mind-set and having a mentality. I honestly believe when I'm there, I'll be feeling like there's nothing I can't do."

Lions receiver Nate Burleson didn't agree.

"Listen, I like Dez, I think he's one of the best receivers in the game right now, very talented, fast, big, strong," Burleson said. "He possesses all the tools to possibly be as good as Calvin. But he's not Calvin Johnson. No way, no how. Sorry, Dez. Keep it real."

Johnson leads the NFL with 1,689 receiving yards since Week 10 of last season, and Bryant has emerged with a league-best 16 TDs in that span.

Tony Romo and Matthew Stafford have each thrown 15 touchdowns, matching San Diego's Philip Rivers for the second-highest total in the NFL behind Peyton Manning's 25.

The only previous time these quarterbacks met came on Oct. 2, 2011, when Detroit rallied from a 24-point second-half deficit for a 34-30 victory at Dallas. The Lions scored the game's final 17 points, with Johnson catching a pair of fourth-quarter touchdowns from Stafford - who completed 21 of 43 passes for 240 yards.

Bryant also had two TD catches among eight receptions for 96 yards in a game that was remembered for Romo throwing three interceptions - two that were returned for touchdowns in the third quarter to kick-start Detroit's comeback.

Romo finished 34 of 47 for 331 yards.

"There were a lot of good things in that game, obviously we didn't finish that game the way we wanted to throughout our football team, we turned the ball over on offense and that's something hopefully we can learn from," Dallas coach Jason Garrett said.

Whether Stafford and Romo will have enough time to find their favorite targets will depend on how some notably disruptive defensive stars fare.

Suh leads Detroit with 3.5 sacks, and said he is trying to stay focused before he decides whether to meet with Commissioner Roger Goodell during next week's bye to discuss the defensive tackle's discipline-filled season.

"I'm really just focusing on Dallas," he said. "I'm not really concerning myself with that, just yet, until the bye week comes."

Ware's streak of 134 consecutive games ended last Sunday due to a strained right quadriceps, but he has returned to practice this week.

Dallas running back DeMarco Murray also came back to practice this week after he missed the Eagles contest because of a sprained ligament in his left knee.

The Cowboys, who have won consecutive games for the first time this season, were happy with last Sunday's effort from rookie Joseph Randle, who ran 19 times for 65 yards in his first start.

Dallas has four rushing touchdowns over its last three games, while Detroit has none in that span. Reggie Bush is hoping to end that drought for the Lions.

"They're a good team, they're a good defense, they have some good players, DeMarcus Ware, Sean Lee, there are some good young players up front," Bush said. "So this is another good front seven we're going to face, we've got our work cut out for us."

The Lions have done an excellent job of protecting Stafford, who has been sacked nine times - with five coming in an Oct. 6 loss at Green Bay in the lone game Johnson missed due to a right knee injury.

:Cowboys: 24

:Lions: 27

I like the Lions at home.

Dallas has the secondary pieces to hold CJ down. It's Fauria that worries me most. He's too big to keep from going up and getting whatever's thrown his way. Dallas needs to disrupt his routes and throw off the timing he has with Stafford to have a chance. Sean Lee's great in coverage, but he ain't 6'7.

Romo's going to shred this secondary. Dez Bryant's going to go off. It comes down to Dallas' defense keeping the floodgates from busting open. I have faith in them, but I don't have faith in all the pieces coming together.

:Lions: 31

:Cowboys: 21

Guest Phailadelphia

Lions because that d-line is going to decimate the Cowboys. Probably going to see a lot of 12 personnel packages.

Lions declared RT Corey Hilliard, WR Nate Burleson, QB Kellen Moore, RB Mikel Leshoure, WR/KR Micheal Spurlock, CB Jonte Green and OG Leroy Harris inactive for Week 8 against the Cowboys.

Return man Spurlock is a healthy scratch. With Hilliard sidelined and Jason Fox (knee) ailing, the Lions are going with undrafted rookie LaAdrian Waddle at right tackle. LT Riley Reiff is playing through a hamstring injury, but is active and starting. Matthew Stafford's protection could be an issue today.

Cowboys declared RB DeMarco Murray (knee) and WR Miles Austin (hamstring) inactive for Week 8 against the Lions.

Murray had been on track to start against Detroit, but was observed limping heavily in Friday's practice. He appears to have pushed himself too hard, too fast coming off a sprained MCL. Consider Murray week to week. Joseph Randle will get the start against the Lions, with Lance Dunbar also working into the mix. Randle is a solid FLEX option. Terrance Williams starts opposite Dez Bryant, while Cole Beasley will remain in the slot.
Also inactive for the Cowboys are DE DeMarcus Ware, FS J.J. Wilcox, LB DeVonte Holloman, C Phil Costa and OT

sweet glad he got to finish that drive

You know what? Whatever. Down to two undrafted rookies at safety, a late round pick at corner two, Scandrick banged up. We lose? Fine. Just fucking fine. Romo only has 10 completions that aren't for TD passes. The guy does everything you could ask a quarterback to do, and we still lose. So ridiculous, but we were decimated in the secondary--the cards lined up perfectly for the Lions and their tall as shit receivers. You can't tell me that the better team won this game. You need to have depth, but you don't need to prepare for countless injuries in the second half. Good lord.

Also, after refusing to throw a flag when Terrance Williams' legs were tangled up with a Lions defender in a first half, and then throwing the flag when the same thing happens between a Lions receiver and Orlando Scandrick--that's bullshit. That swung the game. It went from 3rd and 9 to 21 yard gain. Fucking double standard bullshit. If it's not obvious, don't throw the goddamn flag.

Edited by BwareDWare94

I didn't watch the game, but Romo was 14-30, that's pretty low, (if there were a lot of drops, sure). And saying, "he only had 10 completions that weren't for TDs" is like... what? (And actually its eleven.)

And yeah, I actually can tell you the better team won the game. The better team doesn't let one WR get 329 yards receiving.

I didn't watch the game, so take this for what it's worth, but Dallas has had talent for years. Obviously though, talent doesn't make you better than anyone necessarily. I understand they've suffered a lot of injuries, but when you get 4 turnovers you should never lose, especially if you're supposedly the better team.

Last week Dallas put up 17 points against a downright bad Eagles defense. Matt Barkley threw 3 picks in that game and Dallas couldn't score. Dallas isn't a good team. They just aren't.

I didn't watch the game, so take this for what it's worth, but Dallas has had talent for years. Obviously though, talent doesn't make you better than anyone necessarily. I understand they've suffered a lot of injuries, but when you get 4 turnovers you should never lose, especially if you're supposedly the better team.

Last week Dallas put up 17 points against a downright bad Eagles defense. Matt Barkley threw 3 picks in that game and Dallas couldn't score. Dallas isn't a good team. They just aren't.

You're wrong. With Dallas healthy, this game is over long before the comeback is even possible.

I'm sorry, you can pick on this team all you want, but you're not even considering all their injuries on defense in this one game. The two safeties who were playing for most of the fourth quarter were UFAs, one who was called up from the practice squad yesterday. Morris Claiborne was out at halftime. Our second corner was a late round unproven pick. Our slot corner was injured, but albe to play. Our only healthy secondary member was Brandon Carr, who was abused today as much by his DC's scheme as he was by Megatron. Why Monte Kiffin continues to play zone when we have three good bump and run corners is beyond fucking me. Jesus H Christ, Kiffin just lays egg after egg after egg against good quarterbacks.

Edited by BwareDWare94

The most noteworthy thing about this game: Who the hell is Flipper Anderson?

• Upvote 1

You're wrong. With Dallas healthy, this game is over long before the comeback is even possible.

I'm sorry, you can pick on this team all you want, but you're not even considering all their injuries on defense in this one game. The two safeties who were playing for most of the fourth quarter were UFAs, one who was called up from the practice squad yesterday. Morris Claiborne was out at halftime. Our second corner was a late round unproven pick. Our slot corner was injured, but albe to play. Our only healthy secondary member was Brandon Carr, who was abused today as much by his DC's scheme as he was by Megatron. Why Monte Kiffin continues to play zone when we have three good bump and run corners is beyond fucking me. Jesus H Christ, Kiffin just lays egg after egg after egg against good quarterbacks.

I can blame injuries for Carolina's loss to Buffalo as well, which was eerily similar to this game. Good teams find a way to compensate for them. Dallas is not a good team. They've proven this time and time again, and they're probably going to find a way to blow what should have been an easy division title year.

Edited by Thanatos19

Who exactly are they supposed to lose it to? Everybody else is at least 2 games below .500, and Dallas is significantly better than all three of them.

Who exactly are they supposed to lose it to? Everybody else is at least 2 games below .500, and Dallas is significantly better than all three of them.

In your opinion. Not in mine.

And its Dallas, they always find a way to blow things at the end of the season.