Bay

Let's rank the Tight Ends

How good is Antonio Gates still? Jason Witten?

1. Jimmy Graham

2. I'll finish my list later

I find it tough to do lists anymore. It may seem like a cop out, but that's the truth. Anymore, a lot of people just disagree with anothers list based on pure stats. When I put a list of guys together, I like to not only look at stats but ability and physical gifts as well. I think we can mostly agree that Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski should be an undisputed 1 and 2 (or 1a and 1b). Whichever order people put those two in, I don't think you can go wrong. Obviously just returning, Gronkowski has low numbers and is still getting re-acclimated but he's looked fantastic for being out so long. Graham has been playing like an absolute freak this year. You could actually debate him as one of the top receivers in the game period I believe.

Behind those two, it's a pretty tight race. In no particular order you have Tony Gonzalez, Jason Witten, Jordan Cameron, Antonio Gates, Vernon Davis and perhaps I would even throw Greg Olsen into the mix.

I would like to hit on Jordan Cameron a little bit here though. This kid was supposed to be good coming out of the college ranks and it had seemed like he wasn't really going to pan out. He's stepped up his game this year, worked extra hard in the off season, earned a prominent role with the Browns and he's more than what anyone expected him. He's got all the makes of a top receiving tight end in the league.

Tony Gonzalez has clearly lost quite a bit of steps from his old self, but he's still got gas in the tank. He's probably one of the best tight ends in the league when it comes to making sure the ball gets in his hands for a catch no matter who is challenging him. He's so huge of a surefire possession guy that teams have officially realized the best way to defend him, and perhaps even guys like Gronk and Graham. The Double-Vice. I personally hadn't seen this before they had started doing it to Tony Gonzalez on a weekly basis and it's a pretty amazing thing to watch.

I was all but convinced that Antonio Gates was getting ready to hang up the cleats soon, he was on a downhill spiral the last couple of years. Gates has shown that he's still very capable in the passing game and he's a great consistent target for Rivers still.

Charles Clay seems like he could be one hell of a tight end in this league, but he hasn't got the consistency needed to be a dominant force. He can line up almost anywhere on the field and be successful. If he was more consistent with his production, I think you would have to rank him right up there as well, but he just hasn't got it up to this point. The same could be said about Jared Cook Jr. who has all the physical tools and talent in the world, at least I believe so. He just hasn't panned out in the consistency section for my own personal opinion. I think that if these two guys could help their team get down the field and come down with catches on a more consistent basis (as opposed to being game planned and taken right out of the mix as we've seen) they would both be considered some of the best, but that's all an assumption I've made.

GRONK SMASH

Jimmy Graham should be classified as a WR. He is in no way a TE.

I need to see the snaps but for now I'm calling him a TE still.

Best of the best:

Jimmy Graham

Rob Gronkowski

Next batch of consistent vets:

Antonio Gates

Vernon Davis

Jason Witten

Tony Gonzalez

Owen Daniels

Greg Olsen

Heath Miller

The need to see it over time guys:

Julius Thomas

Kyle Rudolph

Martellus Bennett

Jordan Reed

Charles Clay

Jordan Cameron

Then there's guys like Jermaine Gresham (who has been a big disappointment this year), Jermichael Finley, Brent Celek, etc. Delanie Walker.

Dennis Pitta injured.

I think the top 6-7 is pretty clear. Does the order of the 2nd tier really matter?

Edited by Bay
  • Upvote 1

Rob Gronkowski

Jimmy Graham

Julius Thomas

Jordan Cameron

Vernon Davis

Jason Witten

Jordan Reed

Tony Gonzalez

Antonio Gates

Jermichael Finley

Dennis Pitta

Greg Olsen

Heath Miller

Coby Fleener

After watching Graham pull up from what was a sure deep gainer because he was scared to get hit against the 49ers, he goes on no top ten anything list of mine, unless we do top ten overrated scaredy cats. He even had the gall to do a corner little bicep flex celebration later in the game.

That being said,

1. Gronk

2. Witten

3. Tony G (greatest ever)

4. Julian Thomas

5. Heath

6. Gates

7. Kyle Rudolph

8. Vernon Davis

9. Jordan Cameron

10. Greg Olsen

lolJohn. Big deal. He's the best receiving tight end right now.

and Rudolph over Vernon. What the the hell is that about.

Julian Thomas :yao:

Edited by Bay

lolJohn. Big deal. He's the best receiving tight end right now.

and Rudolph over Vernon. What the the hell is that about.

Julian Thomas :yao:

TE's are supposed to be tough. If he's too scared to catch a pass, how can he be trusted to bang with a blitzing LB or DE? He's not nearly as well rounded as most of the other guys on my list, and the one thing he's supposed to be good enough at to make his shortcomings everywhere else acceptable he's too scared to do if he's gonna take a big hit. Thats just ridiculous imo.

From a pure pass catching talent standpoint, sure he's great, but he's not a WR, so there's a little more than that in his job description. Plus, talent is terrific only if the guy is willing to use it whenever it's needed.

Jared Allen has been BLASTED on this site for being only a pass rusher, making him soooo overrated, and Allen never shyed away from contact.

As for Rudolph over Davis, personal preference. Great hands, clutch In the red zone, just as big in the run game as the pass game. I'm really high on the kid. Davis has greatly improved over the years, but for my money is take Rudolph.

And yes, Julian Thomas. Call it bitterness from Sunday night, but that girly Bronco gets no name recognition. :p

Well his absence was certainly felt. When we took Orange Julius out, Justin Houston quenched his thirst on Joel Dreessen. May need to reconsider the nickname.

After watching Graham pull up from what was a sure deep gainer because he was scared to get hit against the 49ers, he goes on no top ten anything list of mine, unless we do top ten overrated scaredy cats. He even had the gall to do a corner little bicep flex celebration later in the game.

That being said,

1. Gronk

2. Witten

3. Tony G (greatest ever)

4. Julian Thomas

5. Heath

6. Gates

7. Kyle Rudolph

8. Vernon Davis

9. Jordan Cameron

10. Greg Olsen

No Graham... so much silliness!

But here's a question for you based on your assertion that TE's shouldn't be judged only on receiving (which I like). Vernon Davis is 6th in yards and 3rd in touchdowns. And he's a much better blocker than any of the jabronis that are around him in receiving (Graham, Thomas, Gates, Gonzo, Cameron). So, by your standards, he ought to be quite a bit higher.