Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phailadelphia

Dat obstructionism

By killing all the congressmen?

Hi, I'm Buster, and I need a fill.

This is still an issue if the shoe is on the other foot and it's a Republican in office, right?

Right?

• Upvote 2

Guest Phailadelphia

Of course! Ending filibustering should be a nonpartisan issue. It's inherently un-democratic. But I posted this because a few argued with me last time when I said this was the most obstructionist Congress we've ever seen. All Congresses have blocked nomination of party rivals, but this is getting ridiculous.

Edited by Phailadelphia
  • Upvote 1

The Republicans and Democrats have the same over-arching goal. Republicans are just posturing for the next election, because Obama is a lying piece of shit. It's stupid, but that's politics in this country.

Things that don't work with any sort of efficiency:

American Politics

That's the thing.. Is it completely inefficient... Or is it so inefficient that it is working perfectly?

Guest Phailadelphia

Things that don't work with any sort of efficiency:

American Politics

It's almost like electing anti-state politicians creates an inefficient system of governance. I suppose whether that's desirable depends on your political ideology. But I do think it raises an interesting question...is government inherently inefficient or does politics make it inefficient? And if it's the politics that make it inefficient, why don't our politicians take on the challenge of creating a more efficient, workable government? Why must some win election, work like hell to make sure government is inefficient, and then point to all the broken programs and say "See, the government is inefficient! This is why we ought to let these programs be privatized!" It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, ya know? Of course it's going to suck if you actually try to suckify it.

And that, to me at least, is doing a disservice to tax payers who elect people to utilize their tax dollars in the best ways possible. I understand policy disagreements and such, but, for instance, what exactly have Republicans achieved in trying to repeal/defund/destroy Obamacare? They haven't achieved a single one of their goals in this regard, but rather have just wasted a lot of tax dollars. Why not work with Dems to improve the legislation? And this goes both ways. But I guess I'm philosophizing here. Politicians haven't acted that way, at all, ever.

Edited by Phailadelphia