FartWaffles

Future NFL head coaches?

I have a feeling the Texans may just keep Wade Phillips a HC. They really love him there.

If the Texans keep Wade Phillips as the head coach next season, I'll become a Browns fan.

I think it would be a bad idea for the Texans to make Wade Phillips the Head Coach. They need to keep him in his role as the DC. I dont think Wade is fit to be a Head Coach. There may be an interesting pool of Head Coaches at the end of the season. Someone mentioned Lovie which would be an interesting fit (if he doesn't go to Tampa)

Edited by dutchff7

Per http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1569/texans-offense

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Penn State coach Bill O'Brien is "high" on the Texans' wish list, and that the sides are planning to meet in the near future.

ESPN's Adam Caplan confirms that Houston has been "doing work on" O'Brien this week. It's a bit of a surprise, as NFL head-coaching experience is believed to be near the top of owner Bob McNair's list of criteria, but O'Brien has proven his bonafides as an NFL coordinator and college head coach. At the very least, O'Brien is going to get another fat raise out of his latest dalliance with bolting State College.

At least at this point in time I feel like O'Brien is the guy at the top of my list of who I want the Texans to hire. It would also be amazing if he could bring in either Rex Ryan or Jim Schwartz as his defensive coordinator should either be fired from their current job. Maybe go for Mangini? Who knows...

All I do know is that I want the entire current coaching staff to be purged of after this week's game.

Per http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1569/texans-offense

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Penn State coach Bill O'Brien is "high" on the Texans' wish list, and that the sides are planning to meet in the near future.

ESPN's Adam Caplan confirms that Houston has been "doing work on" O'Brien this week. It's a bit of a surprise, as NFL head-coaching experience is believed to be near the top of owner Bob McNair's list of criteria, but O'Brien has proven his bonafides as an NFL coordinator and college head coach. At the very least, O'Brien is going to get another fat raise out of his latest dalliance with bolting State College.

At least at this point in time I feel like O'Brien is the guy at the top of my list of who I want the Texans to hire. It would also be amazing if he could bring in either Rex Ryan or Jim Schwartz as his defensive coordinator should either be fired from their current job. Maybe go for Mangini? Who knows...

All I do know is that I want the entire current coaching staff to be purged of after this week's game.

Lucky.

But here's Don Banks' Black Monday Primer: A definitive guide to 2014 coaching carousel...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20131226/black-monday-primer-coaches-gms-2013/#ixzz2ogGOFrwy

YAY! More mediocrity and suckage for me! :yao:

DwightFistPump.gif

Edited by BucD
  • Upvote 1

This seems a reasonable place for this question since it might be a tad early to make a separate thread...

Which coaches will ultimately get the axe before season's end?

Coaches I think are destined for the axe:

Mike Shanahan

Rex Ryan

Mike Munchak

Coaches on the hot seat who I think will stay:

Tom Coughlin

Mike Smith

Jim Schwartz

Greg Schiano

Joe Philbin

Mike Tomlin

A lot more guys on my secondary list than I thought. The 2015 offseason could be another one of those where we see a third of coaches fired.

Joe Philbin definitely SHOULD be fired imo.

Really? I think he's done a good job with the team, all things considered. They're inconsistent, yeah, but they've got a 2nd year QB making strides despite being the most sacked QB in the league. Fix that offensive line and they're a very good football team.

Really? I think he's done a good job with the team, all things considered. They're inconsistent, yeah, but they've got a 2nd year QB making strides despite being the most sacked QB in the league. Fix that offensive line and they're a very good football team.

The whole Incognito and Martin scenario should never happen because the Coach should have better control on that locker room. A lot of the stars on that team were drafted BEFORE Philbin anyway.

Stay away from O'Brien, Houston.

somebody needs to hire O'Brien so that Penn State can hire Munchak and we don't have to fire him

I really don't understand how Rex deserves to go. They don't give him a QB and yet say "win." It's not something that produces extended success in today's NFL.

Ryan traded up to draft Sanchez shortly after his hiring then extended him, Sanchez has always been Ryan's QB so you can't really excuse him based on not having a QB when he got to bring in and develop his own and failed at it

Ryan didn't trade up for Sanchez, mike tannenbaum did. Rex Ryan should stay with the jets because they've won 7 games with no talent on their offense

I really don't understand how Rex deserves to go. They don't give him a QB and yet say "win." It's not something that produces extended success in today's NFL.

Ryan traded up to draft Sanchez shortly after his hiring then extended him, Sanchez has always been Ryan's QB so you can't really excuse him based on not having a QB when he got to bring in and develop his own and failed at it

Ryan didn't trade up for Sanchez, mike tannenbaum did. Rex Ryan should stay with the jets because they've won 7 games with no talent on their offense

you don't think Ryan had any say in that decision? and it doesn't change the fact that Ryan had a highly drafted QB to develop and failed at it, and it's not like Ryan hasn't supported Sanchez, I mean have we forgotten this:

ny_dn-4_3_r560.jpg?f061b7ce9937c38b702e6

The Browns have hired Brad Childress as their next head football coach.

• Upvote 1

you don't think Ryan had any say in that decision? and it doesn't change the fact that Ryan had a highly drafted QB to develop and failed at it, and it's not like Ryan hasn't supported Sanchez, I mean have we forgotten this:

ny_dn-4_3_r560.jpg?f061b7ce9937c38b702e6

Your bugging out cause a defensive coach couldn't develop a QB? What is ryan supposed to do? Bash on Sanchez at every chance he gets? Every head coach will back their QB even in the bad times, they have too otherwise it will affect the team and the teams confidence in the QB.

First off I don't think I'm really bugging out, but I guess tone is tough to read in a post, my comment was just a response to excusing a coach based on lack of qb when that lack of qb is the coaches fault, but I will say that regardless of a coach's background a head coach is responsible for everything

First off I don't think I'm really bugging out, but I guess tone is tough to read in a post, my comment was just a response to excusing a coach based on lack of qb when that lack of qb is the coaches fault, but I will say that regardless of a coach's background a head coach is responsible for everything

He's not responsible for everything when the GM is responsible for player personnel. The coach doesn't bring in the players he just coaches them

Head coach is responsible for everything on the coaching side, which includes player development, when a highly drafted qb doesn't pan out I think it falls about equally on the front office and on the coach

I also think it's a bit simplistic to think the coach has no say in personnel decisions

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

I updated the OP with more potential future head coaches. Feel free to let me know if I need to add any other names to the list.

Since this has become our unofficial coaching carousel thread, time to predict who fills the vacancies!

:Redskins: Dan Quinn

:Vikings: Adam Gase

:Lions: Mike Zimmer

:Bucs: Lovie Smith

:Browns: Josh McDaniels (lolBrowns)

• Upvote 2

James Franklin is a name to watch for, but I obviously hope he comes to Penn State.

My predictions

:Browns: Josh McDaniels

:Bucs: Lovie Smith

:Vikings: Darrell Bevell

:Lions: Adam Gase

:Redskins: Ken Whisenhunt

• Upvote 1

If Darrell Bevel is the HC of Minnesota when next season starts, I'm going to flip shit. He was a HORRIBLE OC when he was here and has not been that great in Seattle. Their offense could be significantly better, actually. Fuck that idea. The Wilfs have to be smarter than that.