Sign in to follow this  
Mathias

Mack Brown Sabotages UT (MUST READ)

What's now clear to a group of regents and billionaires who had targeted Saban as Texas' next coach is Brown and Powers did everything they could to sabotage their attempt to hire Saban for a second straight year.

One person involved in Texas' attempt to hire Nick Saban called Mack Brown's ability to thwart that effort, "The greatest upset of the college football season."

Now, Brown gets to stay on as coach at Texas despite a 30-20 record (18-17 Big 12 play) since burning the program to the ground in 2010, going 5-7 while alienating assistants and players, because of his "Alabama hangover."

Brown gave everyone a warning in November that he wasn't about to let Saban come to Texas to save the Longhorns after Brown's failed, four-year rebuilding plan.

"Nick is a friend and he's done a tremendous job at Alabama," Brown told the Tim Brando Show in November. "Nick's not trying to get my job. I mean, I know Nick. So I don't have to worry about that. And if I do my job, there won't be any job to be open to get, so I think that's the other thing."

Brown was well aware of efforts being made at that time by top boosters and a group of regents to land Saban for a second straight year. And Brown's ego was raging.

This year, it had to look like Brown was ready to step away because the negative recruiting and constant job security questions had simply become too much. But Brown was taking too long to step down in some minds, and that's when sources started talking about Brown stepping down in my report and other reports.

Brown knew Texas was going to accommodate his ego once again, and it gave him the power to control when any such announcement would come.

If he waited long enough (I'm told there was a deadline of Monday, Dec. 16, for any Saban offer), Brown could kill the UT Saban supporters' efforts a second straight year.

By waiting until after Powers had received a vote of continuance as UT president from the board of regents on Thursday, Brown and Powers successfully filibustered themselves into having all the control.

In a meeting Friday with his attorney, Joe Jamail, as well as Powers and new athletic director Steve Patterson, Brown threatened to go public with behind-the-scenes efforts to take him down, including press leaks.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1587416

What a turd. And everyone keeps telling us how classy he was. What a total phony.

(This story was put out before he officially resigned.

Edited by Mathias
  • Downvote 1

How many of these "classy" coaches do you think are truly classy though? People seem to get success confused with class these days. Just because a guy wins a bunch of games doesn't mean that you would want him to come over for dinner. The "Ol' Ball Coach," Nick Saban, Mack Brown, etc, don't strike me as class acts. Yet all you hear is how worthy they are of a seat at the foot of Christ.

Guest Phailadelphia

Is there a more credible source for this? Sounds like baloney.

What's just as crazy as the idea that this article has any credibility is the idea that Nick Saban could have easily "fixed" Texas.

Nick Saban is not the only reason Alabama is great. We need to stop equating individuals to greatness.

Chip Brown at OB is as reputable as any source in the industry.

• Downvote 2

Chip Brown at OB is as reputable as any source in the industry.

Are you trolling?

Look at all this BS he's reported in the past lol:

http://jizzmop.tumblr.com/

• Upvote 2

What's just as crazy as the idea that this article has any credibility is the idea that Nick Saban could have easily "fixed" Texas.

Nick Saban is not the only reason Alabama is great. We need to stop equating individuals to greatness.

Nick Saban record in 7 years at Alabama: 69-14 (still counting vacated wins).

Previous 7 years at Alabama: 46-40

Texas is the best job in the country, well second to only NDSU of course. Saban could've easily fix them.