Sign in to follow this  
Milla4Prez63

Bucs to hire Lovie Smith

Not sure what coach would agree to not having some control over the 53 man roster anyways. Once the Bucs hired Lovie first it was clear the next GM would be more of a cap guy.

Revis played great all year.. I wouldn't be worried about him regardless of the defense Lovie brings to Tampa.

I admit, I haven't watched a ton of Buc games, but when you do you can see that Revis doesn't have a problem playing zone. He's actually a pretty physical CB and he's a very smart football player. Revis got beat in zone in the Eagles game against the Bucs not because he was playing badly, but because outside of a couple players the Bucs defense can be pretty undisciplined and every player in their secondary BUT Revis is garbage, including the safeties that he's supposed to pass coverage off to and if they're not there it's not really his fault that's not what the stat sheet says.

Seems the Bucs are following the Seahawks model. Hiring Carroll first with the authority to build a team in his own image and the personnel power to effect it. The next critical step for Tampa is to find a GM who will complement his vision.

While Carroll does have final authority, he picked a GM who shared his vision and then granted him partnership power in personnel matters. JS/PC are a collaboration that together are worth more than the sum of their ability. There is significant give and take between the two that has proven extremely healthy.

Tampa needs to find a GM who won't be a simple 'yes man' in that organization. But one willing to shelf his own ambition to build a team as he wants.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Coach Lovie Smith insisted at his introductory press conference that Darrelle Revis will be a fit for the Bucs' defense.
Uninformed football observers believe Smith adheres to a strict Tampa-2 zone that devalues cornerback play. That wasn't the case whatsoever during Lovie's latter years in Chicago. "We don't play Cover 2 every snap, alright?," Smith said. "We have a place for a great cover corner who is physical, can do all things. We're excited about getting our hands on him." Look for Smith to make Revis the cornerstone of his defense a la Peanut Tillman with the Bears. Jan 6 - 3:29 PM

Coach Lovie Smith anticipates the Bucs fielding a "power running game" with "big-play ability in the passing game" under new OC Jeff Tedford.

Smith specifically mentioned Doug Martin as a building block. Lovie also said he wants to "bring back" the Bucs' old smash-mouth style of play, with the NFL's most physical defense and a run-oriented offense. The hire of defensive-minded Smith bodes well for Martin's 2014 fantasy outlook. He won't hurt for touches.

Lovie preaches smash mouth football.

Thats what we heard from Schiano :sigh:

As long as Lovie doesn't monitor the temperature in every room at One Buc Place I won't be too worried about him being similar to Schiano.

I called this in the coach Hotseat thread. Great move by the Bucs. I like this fit. Lovie has some defensive playmakers to work with. Lavonte David, Revis, Mccoy and I wouldn't be surprised if Jared Allen becomes a free agent that he makes his way to the Bucs.

New Bucs OC Jeff Tedford said he plans to use multiple running backs on offense in order to keep everybody fresh and force defenses to adjust to his personnel.

"When I was at (the University of California) we were always very fortunate to have two very good backs, whether it was J.J. Arrington and Marshawn Lynch or Lynch and Justin Forsett, or Lynch and Jahvid Best or Best and Shane Vereen,’’ Tedford said. "We really had a good one-two punch in the backfield there and I think that’s what you need. For one guy to carry the load the whole time, especially as physical as this level is, is a lot." The Bucs are going to be a run-first team in 2014, so Doug Martin isn't going to hurt for touches. However, Mike James, Bobby Rainey, or others could also be heavily involved.

Mike James could be interesting behind Martin next year. I don't see Rainey getting involved much if he makes the team. He had some moments with his playing time last year, but was mostly unimpressive. I just hope Martin stays healthy and gets back to his 2012 production. Him not being able to get back going will really set the offense back a ton which is the last thing we need with the question at QB.

Nobody is talking about it, but I think the Bucs take a QB in the first. I know Glennon wasn't bad last year and some will say he deserves a chance, but I think with Tedford as the OC they're going to bring in their own guy for him to develop. They'll certainly have an opportunity to and I think defensively the Bucs have enough to compete. They already proved that this year but with Lovie they'll be a lot better. Get a young QB and add another weapon or 2 with Jackson and they could make a big turnaround.

Depends on which QBs are there at #7. Can't take a Qb for the sake of taking one. The top ones are likely going to be gone before we pick.