Sign in to follow this  
butta54

Johnny Football

Been awhile since I been on the site so sorry if this topic is already out there....

But short and simple what are your thoughts on Johnny Manziel playing at the Pro-level?

Particularly where do you think he will land in the draft and what can his impact be on a team next season?

Guest Phailadelphia

No idea where he'll be drafted but I think he'll be good. Maybe not right off the bat. I'm not sure he's immediately NFL-ready. But he has the work ethic and all the intangibles needed to be a serviceable NFL QB.

I like his chances honestly. He's the ideal of where the NFL is headed. I'm sure he will struggle early-on. It's kind of a shame that the Rams are so commited to mediocrity with Sam Bradford, because I really think that Johnny would make some noise there. That is, if he falls past the Texans. All of the other teams near the top of the draft order have terrible o-lines, which isn't going to help him any.

For some reason I think he will eventually self destruct. I honestly think he is a disaster waiting to happen but who knows I could be wrong. He never really has been one to follow rules off the field (although on the field he is quite talented and performs well under pressure).

Edited by southgadawg

Guest Phailadelphia

People really think he's going to be drafted first overall? Ain't no way.

People really think he's going to be drafted first overall? Ain't no way.

I just think it's possible because he's like the president of Texas :shrug:

Guest Phailadelphia

Yeah you might have a point if Dallas was drafting first overall. Houston actually has a decent front office though. They need a QB but I don't think they'd draft Manziel first overall. Too much talent in other positions.

There are a million sources around saying teams are extremely high on Manziel. Obviously 4 months from the draft it doesn't mean much, but a lot of people see it happening.

I got him as my sixth/seventh rated QB right now. That's my opinion on him right now.

The Texas connection won't mean jack shit for Houston. People said the same thing about Vince Young in 2006.

The Texas connection won't mean jack shit for Houston. People said the same thing about Vince Young in 2006.

Plus after the Case Keenum experiment went awry, I think this franchise is over its "hometown hero" phase.

Manziel is going to be a top ten pick in my book. I just can't see Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, AND Minnesota all passing on him when there's an obvious need at the position for these teams. I think he can be successful under the right circumstances. He needs a creative mind at offensive coordinator that is willing to let Manziel do his JFF things within reason. I'm kinda rooting for him to go to the Vikings so he can be Fran Tarkenton 2.0.

Edited by FartWaffles

I've heard both sides of the arugments from friends up to professional analyst so I think the decision is far from being made on Johnny Football, but I like the feedback on the topic so far.

As for me the first time I watched one of his games I immediately knew people would go crazy over him in college because that exciting do or die gunslinging style is fun to watch, but my first thought was he never would make it in the NFL.

Since then I have slightly changed my view just because watching him stay consistent with his style and also showing some better pocket skills and arm talent this year (the bowl comeback didn't hurt either), but look at the amazing o-line he played behind with two top 10 picks on at tackle over the last two years and a solid interior. That is the part that scares me about top picks...he won't have that talent unless he goes to Houston which someone pointed out earlier. With that being said there is no room for the Doug Flutie type scramble drill every play in the NFL without elite pass protection.

I do believe he will be top 10 as of right now, but I also believe that will be a very large reach for him because of his very very slight build and his unknown transition to pro-style. But again ALOT changes over the months leading to the draft.

With Norv Turner likely going to Minnesota, is there a chance he could thrive under him?

I've heard both sides of the arugments from friends up to professional analyst so I think the decision is far from being made on Johnny Football, but I like the feedback on the topic so far.

As for me the first time I watched one of his games I immediately knew people would go crazy over him in college because that exciting do or die gunslinging style is fun to watch, but my first thought was he never would make it in the NFL.

Since then I have slightly changed my view just because watching him stay consistent with his style and also showing some better pocket skills and arm talent this year (the bowl comeback didn't hurt either), but look at the amazing o-line he played behind with two top 10 picks on at tackle over the last two years and a solid interior. That is the part that scares me about top picks...he won't have that talent unless he goes to Houston which someone pointed out earlier. With that being said there is no room for the Doug Flutie type scramble drill every play in the NFL without elite pass protection.

I do believe he will be top 10 as of right now, but I also believe that will be a very large reach for him because of his very very slight build and his unknown transition to pro-style. But again ALOT changes over the months leading to the draft.

Possibly three...

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

With Norv Turner likely going to Minnesota, is there a chance he could thrive under him?

Norv and the Vikings could potentially be a really good thing for Manziel. Norv prefers to run the ball, and with Adrian Peterson that's just what you do. It would protect Manziel from having to rely too much on himself to win games. (A common theme at Texas A&M)

To gameplan a run-heavy offense with quick pass reads to Rudolph underneath or deep balls to Patterson to keep the defenses honest would be perfect for the development of Manziel. Also a great running back is perfect for a mobile quarterback. It could open up ridiculous running lanes for Manziel off the play-action boots.

Polarizing dude obviously, he's my 2nd best QB in the draft though. If you're looking for a fit with a creative OC, Jacksonville's Jedd Fisch fits the bill. After going 0-8 he pulled out the stops, WRs were lining up in the backfield, throwing passes, MJD was throwing passes, basically he was doing everything he could to get the ball out of his QB's hands to score because that QB was Chad Henne. :rofl: I think he'd have a blast with Manziel.

Wouldn't be mad at all if the Jags took him, but I like Teddy better myself.

I think he's the kind of guy who can lead your team, but if it's me I'd want to sit him behind a veteran for a year or two so he can grow up a little and work on his mechanics, but he's got natural leadership and playmaking ability which you don't come by too often. As far as where I'd rank him...Haven't seen much of this QB class tbh, but I would take Johnny Football in the first.

• Upvote 1

Polarizing dude obviously, he's my 2nd best QB in the draft though. If you're looking for a fit with a creative OC, Jacksonville's Jedd Fisch fits the bill. After going 0-8 he pulled out the stops, WRs were lining up in the backfield, throwing passes, MJD was throwing passes, basically he was doing everything he could to get the ball out of his QB's hands to score because that QB was Chad Henne. :rofl: I think he'd have a blast with Manziel.

A team at 0-8 is going to pull off those sorta stunts though. At that point you have nothing to lose so you just throw everything you have at the other teams. Bucs did similar things and started winning games.

A team at 0-8 is going to pull off those sorta stunts though. At that point you have nothing to lose so you just throw everything you have at the other teams. Bucs did similar things and started winning games.

You just want Johnny Football and are shook the Jags will take him.

:smug:

I like his chances honestly. He's the ideal of where the NFL is headed. I'm sure he will struggle early-on. It's kind of a shame that the Rams are so commited to mediocrity with Sam Bradford, because I really think that Johnny would make some noise there. That is, if he falls past the Texans. All of the other teams near the top of the draft order have terrible o-lines, which isn't going to help him any.

He is the ideal, except where it counts.... responsible. From all reports he is a self indulgent from a family worth millions already. If any choose to use him as a backup, learning for a year, I hope that you are ready for the "play him now" mantra reminicent of Tebow type fans. I really do not know if his ego will allow him to remain silent in face of that clamor.