Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Sherman: Seahawks Cracked Manning's Audibles

“All we did was play situational football,” Sherman says. “We knew what route concepts they liked on different downs, so we jumped all the routes. Then we figured out the hand signals for a few of the route audibles in the first half.”

He demonstrates the signs Manning used for various routes, and says he and his teammates were calling out plays throughout the game and getting them right. “Me, Earl [Thomas], Kam [Chancellor]… we’re not just three All-Pro players. We’re three All-Pro minds,” Sherman says. “Now, if Peyton had thrown in some double moves, if he had gone out of character, we could’ve been exposed.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/03/richard-sherman-super-bowl-48-seattle-seahawks/

This is crazy to me. They cracked his hand signals within a couple drives and Peyton couldn't adjust and take advantage of that? Really?

I am a well known Peyton hater around here, but that actually surprises me that he either didn't figure out that they knew what was coming or the fact that he couldn't adjust to work around that.

In the "Legacy" thread Vin created, I am on the record as saying win or lose I think Peyton's legacy is set in stone. But man... this makes me waffle on that opinion just a little.

To be straight out dominated like that and the failure to respond? I mean, I don't actually know what the Broncos / Manning were thinking but... Either way, it doesn't look good.

He either was clueless to the fact that they knew what routes were coming or he knew and just said "F it" and tried forcing it in there and beating them anyway, which is moronic.

What do you all think?

Edited by Favre4Ever

I didn't really think about it until now but having two weeks to prepare for Manning was definitely a huge factor in this regard. I even noticed that Manning stopped calling audibles as the game went on. So yeah, maybe Peyton didn't have an answer or an adjustment to capitalize but I don't think it really matters. The Broncos were overmatched plain and simple.

• Upvote 1

This has happened before. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere of the Texans among other teams getting a handle of Manning's audibles and stuff.

He probably had no idea, and even if he did... Was he making that many audibles? I mean, some Broncos have been bitching about it being too loud... If there's any truth to that, then he probably wasn't calling that many audibles.

Of course they did. Not many teams have three All-Pro minds on the same roster.

This is just going to make the Seahawks/Broncos game in Seattle next season all the more fun.

Edited by Vin

Not really... Even if the Broncos manage to pull it off... oooo, revenge in the regular season! Go get em' tiger. Lol.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I heard Sherman talking about that. It doesn't surprise me at all actually. That secondary was one step ahead of the Bronco's offense the entire game, especially in the second half. It was like they knew exactly what Manning was going to do. If they indeed crack his audibles and hand signals, that would explain it...

The Falcons figured his audibles out in their matchup in 2012 with the Broncos. It was an impressive defensive showing, and Manning was actually getting frustrated.

It's not something that has never happened, but when it does, it's usually a Peyton Manning train wreck.

One of my friends who is a huge conspiracy theorist linked me a video where Alex Jones, (king Conspiracy Theorist himself), claimed that "Richard Sherman admits the Seahawks cheated" talking about them cracking Manning's hand code signals.

Just hilarious the lengths some people will go to to get views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO8IiLb0FiM&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

I occasionally listen to Alex Jones and admittedly this is one of the most bizarre and off track things I have ever heard him say -- and that is saying something. Haha. Must have been a super slow news day, because this is just really sad.

Joe Rogan's Alex Jones impression >

I used to be into Alex Jones' stuff when I was like 21 years old are so. I was in that conspiracy stage, I'm 28 now so I often look back and laugh at how ridiculous some of the stuff I bought into was.

I hate conspiracy theories as much as anyone and would probably get a good laugh out of that.

“All we did was play situational football,” Sherman says. “We knew what route concepts they liked on different downs, so we jumped all the routes. Then we figured out the hand signals for a few of the route audibles in the first half.”

He demonstrates the signs Manning used for various routes, and says he and his teammates were calling out plays throughout the game and getting them right. “Me, Earl [Thomas], Kam [Chancellor]… we’re not just three All-Pro players. We’re three All-Pro minds,” Sherman says. “Now, if Peyton had thrown in some double moves, if he had gone out of character, we could’ve been exposed.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/03/richard-sherman-super-bowl-48-seattle-seahawks/

This is crazy to me. They cracked his hand signals within a couple drives and Peyton couldn't adjust and take advantage of that? Really?

I am a well known Peyton hater around here, but that actually surprises me that he either didn't figure out that they knew what was coming or the fact that he couldn't adjust to work around that.

In the "Legacy" thread Vin created, I am on the record as saying win or lose I think Peyton's legacy is set in stone. But man... this makes me waffle on that opinion just a little.

To be straight out dominated like that and the failure to respond? I mean, I don't actually know what the Broncos / Manning were thinking but... Either way, it doesn't look good.

He either was clueless to the fact that they knew what routes were coming or he knew and just said "F it" and tried forcing it in there and beating them anyway, which is moronic.

What do you all think?

Unless he loses. Then he's smelly, stinky garbage. The hate is strong with this one.

Seriously though, what does anyone expect him to do in this situation? What would the "adjustment" huddle sound like? "OK guys. Listen up. You know all of those super complicated and intricate route audibles relayed through hand signals that we've been using for two years? Well forget them. Now when I do this (makes hand motion) it really means what it used to mean when I did this (makes different hand motion.) Got it? Good. Now when I do this one (makes shadow puppet) It really means this (flicks off Eric Decker.) What was that whistle sound? Delay of game? Wait, how long have we been in this huddle?"