Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

Rodgers talks about the Seattle Defense

Aaron Rodgers: “Unrealistic” to use Seahawks as goal for defense
Posted by Josh Alper on February 5, 2014, 9:23 AM EST
25535795d8502e07129fc768d3e8a639-e139161Getty Images

It has been said more than once over the years that the NFL is a copycat league, which would suggest that several teams around the league will be using the Seahawks as a model for building their own teams.

Emulating their defense would seem to be a particular attraction for other teams, but Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgerscautioned teams not to expect much immediate success going down that route during his weekly radio show on 540 ESPN. Rodgers said that’s as true of his team as it is of the 30 others trying to get where Seattle did on Sunday night.

“With all due respect, I don’t think it’s possible to play at that kind of level for many other teams in this league, if any,” Rodgers said. “That’s a talented group. I don’t think that should be our goal. We do need to improve on both sides of the ball, but that team has a unique mixture of secondary talent that’s as good a group in the league as you can see, and then a front seven that really plays well together. It should be maybe the standard we’re going for, but it might be a little unrealistic to think of any defense being as good as that for the next couple years.”

Trying to mimic the team the Seahawks put on the field will be difficult, but there’s definitely something for teams to gain by seeing how the roster was put together.

As we pointed out just after the Seahawks beat the Broncos, their victory was a testament to the way General Manager John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll have identified and acquired talented players in every possible way and developed many relatively unheralded players into key performers. It’s not easy to pull off, but every team should be trying to put together a personnel department and coaching staff that can give them their own version of what the Seahawks have built.

I thought that it was just an interesting read. Thoughts?

Well, yeah. All-Pro minds don't just grow on trees.

Plus, let's not forget... We have Dom Capers at the helm. We could have the same exact talent that Seattle has and we would be the 25th ranked defense. Lol

I agree that there won't be any group AS good, but if you're one of the 31 other teams in the league, you have to at least try to build up a secondary that can do some damage, otherwise, you won't go far in the playoffs in this passing NFL that we have today. If you think you can identify 6'3 corners with great speed and awareness, you have to do whatever you can to slide them up your draft board.

If they want to build that kind of defense, then they have to start with a 1 deep FS. The entire defensive scheme revolves around Earl Thomas. He could be the most vital player on this entire roster, including Russell Wilson. I've seen people fixate on our corners endlessly, because in generic NFL defenses, it's assumed that you need a shutdown corner.

But Thomas, by his extreme range in the center, affords all pro and 3rd string CBs alike, the ability to cheat their zones and man responsibilities. He is worth 2 to 3 players in terms of what he allows the outside guys to do. Realistically, he gives all our outside guys the ability to play up and aggressive and if they get beat, they are covered.

It starts at safety. If teams are talking about getting tall man corners, they don't understand the concept of this defense.

jairusbyrdrickhavnerap.jpg

byrd-ap-story.jpg

Earl Thomas is extremely underrated. Everyone talks about Sherman, but Thomas is the best player in that secondary. I also think building up the d-line is the way to go on defense. Without a good pass rush, your defense won't be good regardless of who's back there in the secondary. The Seahawks have multiple good pass rushers like Clemens, Avril and Bennett (still can't believe we let him go).

If they want to build that kind of defense, then they have to start with a 1 deep FS. The entire defensive scheme revolves around Earl Thomas. He could be the most vital player on this entire roster, including Russell Wilson. I've seen people fixate on our corners endlessly, because in generic NFL defenses, it's assumed that you need a shutdown corner.

100% agree with this statement. Don't want to crown this guy the "next Earl Thomas," but Louisville FS Calvin Pryor is the closest player with a similar skillset to Thomas in the upcoming draft IMO.