Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Update: Packers Sign Sam Shields to 4yr, $39M Extension

Well if we're not signing him then I sincerely hope that those reports that he only wanted about 6M per year were completely off base. If Thompson won't sign this guy for what I believe was $5.6M for 4 years and $22.4M total... holy shit why does he have a job.

The only logical conclusion I can come up with is he thinks that Williams, Hayward, and Hyde (and House, lol) will be alright as our cornerbacks and we're gonna blow the door open and go full on attack mode at Jairus Byrd to solidify our secondary. That's the ONLY way I would see this as acceptable.

Of course, unless Shields was demanding a lot more than the reports said. Then it's understandable.

• Upvote 1

Ya, if all he wanted was that 22+ over 4 years, he should have been signed already. And honestly, I don't see any way he doesn't get more than that on the open market. This is what Ted gets paid to do, and maybe I just overvalue Sam because I see how good he is every week... but, this seriously hurts.

I expect Casey to be healthy. Tramon to play well, and House to get even better. But I still want Sam there. Especially with rumors that fatso Mike McCarthy wants to move Hyde to safety.

With $35 million in cap room there is NO REASON to let Sam walk. Even with extension talks in the works with both Jordy and Cobb (eventually). We better be going after a top FA safety... If we go into the 2014 season with more than 20+ million in cap space, I will freak the fuck out.

Edited by Favre4Ever

If we lose Shields I am going to fucking flip, he's been one of our most consistent CB's in the last few years and he is asking for very little compared to what he can get in the open market. We better be right in with an offer in the first hour of FA for him.

On the topic of Sam Shields I read a report today saying that Shields will not be as big of a loss as everyone is expecting. I'm going to work right now but I'll try to find it and post a link, it's rather interesting as far as another opinion goes.

He was our best CB last year. I agree that as far as depth goes, we should be okay though -- especially with Casey being healthy.

Show 'em whatcha got, whatcha got, Raji.

Sources tell the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that the one-year deal the Packers have offered free agent B.J. Raji is worth $4 million.

During November of last season, Raji reportedly turned down a multi-year deal worth $8 million annually and contained $20 million guaranteed. He's kicking himself now. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport is reporting that Raji is mulling the Pack's latest "prove it" offer and would be moving back to nose tackle if he does re-sign.

$4 million is still too much for him. He was garbage last season, and highly unmotivated The only way I would be okay with him coming back is if his contract is very incentive based.

It is still too much, but maybe he will play like he actually cares. I really don't want him back, but if we do get him for a year at HALF what he already turned down... I will die laughing -- until the season starts and he sucks ass. This one year deal, IMO would be best for both parties.

He gets paid more than he deserves this year, and is able to prove not to us.. But to other teams what he can do going into FA next year.

We get one more year of a fat man plugging the middle of the line (kind of) so we can draft the NT of the future this year and let him sit.

Like I said.. I don't want him back with how he has played the last 2-3 years, but... maybe this is for the best.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports there are "indications" free agent B.J. Raji will decline the Packers' one-year offer.

According to reporters Tom Silverstein and Bob McGinn, the Pack offered Raji the "options of one- and two-year contracts." They confirm the one-year offer was worth roughly $4 million. Coming off an extremely disappointing season, there's no guarantee Raji will do better in free agency.

Shields is a good player. But I would expect GB to add a rookie contract to that backfield.

That 4m could be better spent up front. And this draft is lean in DL upgrades. While it's deep at CB.

Additionally, if you're looking at Byrd, then you probably want some long term cap relief in the backfield. It's a gamble to be sure, but Thompson and the GB scouting department are top notch. Change isn't necessarily something to be feared. There is enough talent and depth at the CB spot to develop a draft choice.

Change has been feared for like 3-4 years.

But the cap is extremely well managed. The fact that we have $35 million in cap space a year after giving $200 M to Clay and Aaron last year is proof of that.

Plus, Tramon Williams is a huge contract who can easily be disposed off in the secondary either this year or when it expires. That's 7.5 million off the books within the next year alone. It's unlikely, but we could The only other player making anything in the secondary is Morgan Burnett whose 4mil cap number will just have to be put up with.

It's time to make this defense better. >_>

$10m a year for Sam Shields. Holy waste of money. He's good but not that good. Looks like another offseason of securing our good players (good) with the sacrifice of addressing our weak spots (bad). This puts us at what, $24M left to spend for the 2014 season? That includes the Jordy Nelson/Randall Cobb extensions and if they both happen this offseason, what are we looking at, $5m left to secure a playmaker on defense? Good work Thompson. I'm glad we could actually fix our problems this year. Unless we cut Tramon or he takes a paycut which will alleviate $7.5m (but then we STILL have to sign a good player) there is nothing standing in our way from another year of mediocre/below average defense.

/end mini rant

rotoworld:

Packers signed CB Sam Shields to a four-year, $39 million contract.

Idk why my formatting is all screwed up..

Edit- Would be lovely if somebody could show me how this contract for Shields puts us in a good position. I'm not gonna say he is a bad player, he's a good one. But this is elite player money that he doesn't deserve.

Edited by badgers

Holy hell, that is a lot of money.

I would like to see how it's split up, though. Hopefully it's a big cap hit this year with lots of relief in future years, like the other big contracts we have given out recently.

Oh, found a guy on reddit who gives the cap numbers:

CAP NUMBERS

From PFT: "Shields will receive a $12.5 million signing bonus, and his 2014 compensation is $15 million. By the second season, Shields is slated to have made $21 million, and the deal is worth $30 million through 2016"

Signing bonus is not put all in the cap number for the year, but is spread out for the life of the contract.Therefore his 12.5 mil signing bonus counts as 3.125 mil against the cap. So his numbers should look like this:

2014: 5.625 mil

2015: 9.125 mil

2016: 12.125 mil

2017: 12.125 mil

The deal is actually surprisingly backloaded, likely due to the projected raise in salary cap over the next few years

So assuming the salary cap continues to rise in the coming years, do we still have the cap space to sign a playmaker on defense?

NOTE: I'm simply asking if we have the money to sign a Jairus Byrd, TJ Ward, or something. Trying hard not to get my hopes up cuz nothing will probably happen. I'd even be surprised to see our name thrown in with discussions of possibilities..

Ya, that guy is right.. Backloaded like CRAZY. We are one of the most prominent teams in the league as far as front loaded contracts... Very VERY weird. Even if they are projecting extra cap in upcoming years... Why not put a big chunk of the deal in this years cap space..... Unless they are looking to make a run at somebody else (or maybe it's just for Jordy / Cobb / maybe Raji?)

It's basically a 3 year deal. He'll never see that 4th year.

And seriously, what a crappy signing. This deal is going to mean Sherman will be looking at 13+. Way to grossly overpay.

Didn't think he was worth that much but it is very backloaded so that leaves room for negotiating and reevaluating his contract if he doesn't perform well enough. Wonder how this affects Verner's contract now.