Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Mike Mayock would take Khalil Mack first overall

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 21, 2014, 7:06 PM EST

Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack has been talked up by draft analysts for months, but NFL Network’s Mike Mayock took the gushing over Mack to a new level today.

In an interview with KFAN, Mayock said that he would take Mack with the first overall pick in the draft.

“He’s one of the best two or three players in this draft,” Mayock said. “I’m going to tell you right now, I’d take him with the first pick.”

Mayock said Mack’s best position is probably outside linebacker in a 3-4, but Mayock says it doesn’t matter if a team plays a 3-4 or a 4-3, Mack will be a good fit in any NFL defense.

“Khalil Mack can play anywhere in the front,” Mayock said. “If you put the tape on against Ohio State, he dominates Ohio State like nobody I’ve ever seen dominate them. He’s explosive off the edge, he’s tough, he’s twitchy, he’s got a little edge about him. When I watch him on tape I feel like he’s pissed off at the world, and I like that. Then you put on a tape, I think it was Kent State, and he drops into coverage like a safety, reads the quarterback’s eyes, undercuts a route, one-handed interception.”

South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney has been generally recognized as the best defensive player in this year’s draft, but Mayock doesn’t see it that way.

“You talk about a guy like Clowney, who’s just got superhuman abilities, versus this kid, if I had a choice between the two, I think I’m going Mack,” Mayock said.

That’s quite an endorsement.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Edited by BLUE

I'd like him in Tampa, but I' not sure how successful of a 4-3 DE he could be.

ibgUJ7yULpydWP.gif

This needs to stop. Reminds me of the Sharrif Floyd hype (Greg Cosell said he'd take Floyd #1 last year.) I like Mack, but the more I watch the more I realize his best value is somewhere around 20th in the draft, he's not a top 10 talent in my opinion. I was right there too saying he was better than Barr, etc. and I let the comparison cause me to say he was a top 10 type talent. But I'm changing my mind, I'm not seeing it. I saw more tape, the Ohio (not OSU) tape, the Baylor tape, the San Diego State tape. He's still a good player, but he's getting way too over hyped. 20th to late 1st round guy in my book.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

:smug:

You don't tie a record for TFL and set a record for forced fumbles through hype. There was not much going on that UB defense and he was constantly drawing double and sometimes triple teams.

• Upvote 1

ibgUJ7yULpydWP.gif

This needs to stop. Reminds me of the Sharrif Floyd hype (Greg Cosell said he'd take Floyd #1 last year.) I like Mack, but the more I watch the more I realize his best value is somewhere around 20th in the draft, he's not a top 10 talent in my opinion. I was right there too saying he was better than Barr, etc. and I let the comparison cause me to say he was a top 10 type talent. But I'm changing my mind, I'm not seeing it. I saw more tape, the Ohio (not OSU) tape, the Baylor tape, the San Diego State tape. He's still a good player, but he's getting way too over hyped. 20th to late 1st round guy in my book.

While I disagree with your comments on Mack, I do think its important to realize when it comes to Mayock that more times then not, he falls in love with the guys who play with an edge, and have high motors. Conversely, he often is lower on guys who show less effort.

Which probably plays a huge factor here. I don't think anyone would disagree with the notion that potential wise and physically Clowney is the superior player. But to some, the motor issue with Clowney is legit,

Yeah I'm not even talking about Clowney at all, I'm focusing on Mack's tape. It's not as impressive as I thought it was. I only saw two tapes, and two games live before when I was riding the Mack train. Went deeper and came out thinking I was a lil off ranking him so high.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

Mack at #1 is silliness. Top 16 type of player to me, but c'mon now...

He's a Top 10 pick for sure. But doesn't really make much sense at #1. Pass rush is the least of the Texans' problems...

• Upvote 1

Pass rush is the least of the Texans' problems...

Actually you couldn't be any further from the truth with that statement. I'd say outside of quarterback position that pass rushers would be the next thing on the list. Mercilus and Reed have been pretty meh from a position that is supposed to be catered towards OLBs in Wade's defense. When the five-techs are your best pass rushers, that's a problem.

Maybe Mercilus and Reed can turn over a new leaf in Romeo's defense, but even the depth at OLB is ridiculously thin. Until then 7 sacks for Merci and 3 for Reed is unacceptable when Watt is consistently being double and sometimes triple teamed.

• Upvote 1

Wonder how much the agent paid him to say that. Clowney is still the best pass rusher in the draft, even with his shady work ethic and some what of a down year.

He may be the pest potential pass rusher, but screw that. Work ethic, attitude, and motor are huge, and if you either don't think he can be coached or don't think you have the coaches to get him to play HARD at ALL times... I pass on Clowney easily.

Plus, his size is going to be something to be talked about I think. He put on what... 15-20 pounds for the combine? It was much needed because he was small as hell before and would have gotten crushed as a 4-3 end... but, I am really interested to see if or how it effects his play.

How is it going to effect his agility and ability to change direction quickly? I dunno. Putting on that kind of weight, even though it was much needed, makes me weary because we haven't really seen him move laterally at all. He has put on the pads and played a game at his new weight. Not the only factor by any means... but still something you have to think about.

If I am #1, I pass. But if the Texans think they can hit home with him and get his ass into gear, absolutely go for it,

Pass rush is the least of the Texans' problems...

Actually you couldn't be any further from the truth with that statement. I'd say outside of quarterback position that pass rushers would be the next thing on the list. Mercilus and Reed have been pretty meh from a position that is supposed to be catered towards OLBs in Wade's defense. When the five-techs are your best pass rushers, that's a problem.

Maybe Mercilus and Reed can turn over a new leaf in Romeo's defense, but even the depth at OLB is ridiculously thin. Until then 7 sacks for Merci and 3 for Reed is unacceptable when Watt is consistently being double and sometimes triple teamed.

Yeah totally agree with what your saying. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Texans to take Clowney at #1, but definitely not Mack. But the problem is that picking at the #1 spot is always such a tough decision. Do you try and fill arguably your biggest hole at QB, or do you just pick the best guy on the board right now?