Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Oh Jim Irsay...

...you so silly.

Colts owner Jim Irsay has been arrested on DUI and drug possession charges.

Irsay was booked around 3am Monday morning in Carmel, a suburb of Indianapolis, and his bond has been set at $22,500. Other than that, details are still emerging. The colorful and outspoken Irsay inherited the Colts over from his father in 1997. He has a reported net worth of $1.6 billion. The NFL's personal conduct policy does apply to owners. In October of 2013, Irsay tweeted that he hadn't had a drink in more than 15 years. Followers of Irsay's Twitter account were probably skeptical of that all along.

Colts owner Jim Irsay is facing preliminary charges of four felony counts of possession of a controlled substance in addition to operating a vehicle while intoxicated.

Late Sunday night, police in Carmel, Indiana pulled over Irsay over for "driving at a slow rate of speed, stopping in roadway and failure to signal turn." They say they found several Schedule IV prescription drugs not associated with the bottles found in the vehicle. Irsay allegedly failed several roadside field sobriety tests. It appears he was not legally drunk, but authorities believe he was under the influence of the pills. The outspoken son of former Colts owner Robert Irsay will be subject to the league's personal conduct policy.

A source tells the Indy Star that Colts owner Jim Irsay is a "sick, sick man" that "desperately needs help."

According to the Star, Colts insiders have known for years that Irsay was struggling with drugs and have been trying to get him into rehab. He's recently lost 70 pounds. Everything came to a head on Sunday night as Irsay was arrested on preliminary charges of driving under the influence and felony counts of possession of a controlled substance. Mandatory professional help will almost certainly be part of the hammer brought down by Roger Goodell after this case makes it way through the courts.
Edited by Vin

It appears he was not legally drunk, but authorities believe he was under the influence of the pills.

In case anyone is wondering, I don't know about Indiana law but if it's like Virginia that still falls under the DUI law, there should be a catch-all provision that covers other drugs that impair the ability to operate a motor vehicle

also, the "hasn't had a drink in 15 years" tweet might actually be accurate, he just prefers pills now

Guest Phailadelphia

When he went on the Twitter rant talking about "hasn't had a drink in 15 years" I KNEW he was on some other shit besides alcohol. Not sure if the guy is a genuine moron or if he was just trolling Twitter. He's a bizarre one.

What can Goodell do to reprimand him? Anything?

What can Goodell do to reprimand him? Anything?

Wilbon and Kornheiser say indefinite suspension: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10624708

here are a couple other writeups from ESPN:

breaking down punishments for other front office personnel:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/121109/inside-slant-jim-irsay-and-nfl-discipline

(one discipline measure they don't mention is Bud Adam's $250k fine in 2009 for giving Bills' fans a one finger salute)

Dan Graziano's take:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10622488/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-meet-challenge-jim-irsay-dilemma

or if you'd rather SI: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/nfl/20140317/2014-03-17-clip13.sportsillustrated/ (the video shifts to other topics after the first minute and a half)

I kinda like the SI approach personally, Don Banks says the biggest thrust will be a mandatory treatment getting him the help he needs with the apparent addiction (because shit like this doesn't come out of nowhere) but that there also will be a fine or other penalty attached, Graziano mentions potentially losing draft picks, I'm generally opposed to that unless it's a major competitive balance type issue (something like free agent tampering or exceeding the salary cap [if that's even possible]) but when you're talking about disciplining an owner I think an argument can be made that fines and suspensions don't really do much, I still wouldn't agree with taking a draft pick

Doesn't need to be said, but... Holy Hell, he looks like shit.

10003497_573857649379273_1149396539_n.pn

If I were rich I'd be on pills all of the time. Just wouldn't be dumb enough to get caught.

one of the best comments from the articles I posted (from the Graziano piece):

If I had Irsay's money, I can't see a reason why I'd ever drive myself anywhere sober, let alone drunk.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Colts owner Jim Irsay has voluntarily checked into a "highly respected" health-care facility to undergo treatment, the team announced Tuesday.
Irsay faces four felony counts of possession of a controlled substance after being arrested on suspicion of intoxicated driving in the northern Indianapolis suburb of Carmel late Sunday.
"[irsay] is committed to undergoing the treatment and care necessary to help him meet his challenges head-on," the team said in a statement. "Jim, the Irsay family, and the Colts organization are all deeply appreciative of the incredible outpouring of support and compassion from our fans and the Indiana community."

Colts vice chair Carlie Irsay-Gordon will oversee the day-to-day operations of the team while owner Jim Irsay is in rehab.

Jim's daughter, Carlie has been with the team since 2008. According to the Indianapolis Star, Irsay-Gordon will "sign off on trades, acquisitions, etc." It appears Irsay is planning a prolonged absence, and focusing all of his energy on rehab. It's the right decision after Irsay's Monday arrest.

If I were rich I'd be on pills all of the time. Just wouldn't be dumb enough to get caught.

one of the best comments from the articles I posted (from the Graziano piece):

If I had Irsay's money, I can't see a reason why I'd ever drive myself anywhere sober, let alone drunk.

I'll probably get flamed for this but driving under the influence is kind of fun. It feels like riding your own personal roller coaster lol. If I was him I'd carry like 10 grand in cash around and just put it in the center console. Cops happen to find it while looking for my shit..you get where this is going right? lol

Obviously having a personal driver is smart, but someone like myself I really enjoy driving. I never make a habit of driving under the influence but sometimes it just happens, maybe that's what happened there.

I'm still convinced Grigson got into his prescriptions with some of the contracts he gave out, the trade for T-Rich and his 2013 draft. :yao:

Obviously having a personal driver is smart, but someone like myself I really enjoy driving. I never make a habit of driving under the influence but sometimes it just happens, maybe that's what happened there.

yeah, I don't think I'd ever hire a personal driver just for the sake of having one, I just found that quote amusing

another point worth noting before there's actually a sentence handed down: I've read that he's not likely to actually get jail time and it has nothing to do with who he is, Schedule IV is at the bottom of the Controlled Substances Act so it's not much of a priority and he could have prescriptions, which would get him off the hook for the possession entirely, even if he doesn't come up with a prescription he'll likely get a standard plea for suspended jail time, also I'm not sure what Indiana has but I know in Virginia there's a first offender program that lets you get a possession charge dismissed if you complete rehab and do some community service, so don't be surprised when he doesn't actually get jail time

Yeah I don't expect him to get jail just off the fact that he's a millionaire/or billionaire. Those guys don't go to jail in this country usually because cash is king.

Yeah I don't expect him to get jail just off the fact that he's a millionaire/or billionaire. Those guys don't go to jail in this country usually because cash is king.

that's why I made my comment prior to ruling, to pre-emptively say it has nothing to do with his money/connections, nobody would be likely to get actual jail time with these charges, I know that was a long paragraph but please take the time to actually read it

I don't know exactly what type of medical condition he has but I can speak from experience that taking heavy medications and driving don't mix. The man has enough money as was mentioned that he shouldn't HAVE to drive himself anywhere...although it is never as simple as that.

I currently have about 6 of the meds i take each day that warn against driving or operating heavy machinery. I try extremely hard not to drive within 4 hours of taking these meds anymore. Unfortunately the very first time that I took them in combination I had a doctor appointment out of town--but not the one that I had visited the day before for another issue (lol almost all my doctor visits are at least 30 miles away). My wife was with me because I am terrible about remembering exactly what the doc says and she doesn't think I am always capable of relaying to him all the info about my health that SHE thinks I need to. Anyway on the trip there (I did drive and she was 'supervising") she frequently asked me if I was okay and if I needed her to drive. Before we even got to the doctor's office she had taken over driving for me. Later I didn't recall the doctor visit, or even what we had to eat that day. We did get an adjustment to my doses and thankfully I didn't injure anyone at the time. The truth is even well meaning people can have issues with medication. I don't know Irsay's situation but I have no pity for anyone who purposely takes pills or drinks for a buzz/high and puts others in danger because of not caring.

Hopefully Irsay pulls it all together and realizes some things he could had done differently not to put others in danger in the future.

A woman who died of a suspected drug overdose was found in a townhouse owned by Jim Irsay two weeks before his DUI arrest.
Much like Irsay, Kimberly Wundrum, 42, had a history of drug problems. They were acquainted through Wundrum's sister, Rhonda, who was the Colts owner's personal masseuse. The Indianapolis Star has uncovered several documents that link them closely. There's nothing criminal here, but commissioner Roger Goodell is going to have a lot of questions for Irsay when he considers how severely to punish him under the league's Personal Conduct Policy.
Source: Indianapolis Star

Fuck the Irsay's, I hope this motherfucker dies of the DT's. Him and his piece of shit dad.

The NFL suspended Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay on Tuesday for six games and fined him $500,000 for violating the league's Personal Conduct Policy.
Irsay pleaded guilty Tuesday to a misdemeanor count of driving while intoxicated following his arrest after a traffic stop in March. The suspension begins Wednesday at 5 p.m. ET. Irsay, who will be barred from the team facility, will be eligible to return following the Colts' game against the Houston Texans on October 9.
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that Colts COO Pete Ward, GM Ryan Grigson, and Irsay's daughter Carlie Irsay-Gordon will run the team in Irsay's absence.
"I acknowledge the mistake I made last March and stand responsible for the consequences of that mistake, for which I sincerely apologize to our community and to Colts fans everywhere," Irsay said in a statement. "Even more importantly, though, I am committed to do everything in my power to turn this whole experience into a positive event for myself, my family, and the community."

glad to see the league bring down the hammer financially, the fine was always going to be more important to me than the length of the suspension