Dutch

Rank these young QB's & next year predictions

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will perform the best in 2014?

• Russell Wilson
    • Andrew Luck
    • Cam Newton
    • Nick Foles
    • Colin Kaepernick
    • RG3
    • Ryan Tannehill
    • Andy Dalton (contract year)

RG3's rookie season was not the best of any of these QBs lol.

Really?

Now I know stats are not the be and end all - but let's just remember what RGIIIs rookie year was.

65.6% completions, 3200 passing yards, 8.14 average, 20 TDs and only 5 INTs for a 102.4 QB rating. Add on 815 yards rushing and 7 rushing TDs. Plus he led a franchise which had not sniffed a winning season for an age to a Division title and the playoffs winning the Rookie of the Year honors.

Which QB from this list do you think has had a better season than that?

Nick Foles last year.

Kaep has less yards because he throws less than Luck does, Averaging 26 throws a game is quite different from 35.6 throws a game. And despite having 154 less throws on the season, he was only 625 yards behind Luck's mark in the regular season. This says Kaep was getting more out of his attempts than Luck was. The one thing that may put Luck ahead was the low amount of INT's he had on the year. But considering he has to play 6 cupcakes in his divisional games, his numbers aren't astounding as Kaeps, who has to deal with the Rams, Seahawks, and Cardinals 6 times a year.

I'm not talking about overall yards. Throwing 26 times a game definitely can warrant at least a 200 yard performance and 22 attempts over 100. Taking into consideration his low amount of attempts and his efficiency really goes to show how hit and miss he really was. When he did hit, it was a big play but he missed a lot more often then not and his low volume of attempts is a huge indicator of that.

Edited by dutchff7

Really?

Now I know stats are not the be and end all - but let's just remember what RGIIIs rookie year was.

65.6% completions, 3200 passing yards, 8.14 average, 20 TDs and only 5 INTs for a 102.4 QB rating. Add on 815 yards rushing and 7 rushing TDs. Plus he led a franchise which had not sniffed a winning season for an age to a Division title and the playoffs winning the Rookie of the Year honors.

Nick Foles last year.

Foles was certainly impressive last year and you can certainly make an argument for him versus RGIIIs rookie year - but RGIII had comparable passing stats and 600 more rushing yards.

Really?

Nick Foles last year.

Foles was certainly impressive last year and you can certainly make an argument for him versus RGIIIs rookie year - but RGIII had comparable passing stats and 600 more rushing yards.

RG3 also played the whole year, lol.

• Upvote 1

Really?

Nick Foles last year.

RG3 also played the whole year, lol.
He played 15 games to Foles 13. Two of those 15 he played on one leg. Edited by MartinC

Not fair to compare Foles and RG3's rushing ability when Foles is slow as sh·t

He played 15 games to Foles 13. Two of those 15 he played on one leg.

Given that RG3's durability is one of the main knocks against him, I don't see how that's particularly relevant. Foles was 27-2, RG3 was 20(27 if you count rushing)-5.

I'm not saying RG3 didn't have a good rookie year, but Foles was better, really no question there.

• Upvote 1

Wilson

Newton

Luck

Foles

RGIII

Tannehill

Dalton

Kaepernick

Don't understand the hate for Luck.He went to the Colts when they were the worst team in the league and has taken them to the playoffs his first 2 years. He's not perfect but he's a second year player and clearly he's getting the job done.

Edited by seanbrock

Nick Foles only started 10 games. He came in for one play in the Chargers game when Vick got banged up for a play, played in the Broncos game when we got blown out beyond the point of a comeback played one drive that resulted in a TD and played the 2nd half of the Giants game after Vick injured his hamstring, came back from behind and won us the game. He didn't officially start until the Bucs game. Foles isn't a running QB and is quite slow but he IS mobile and is smart knowing when to run. He had 3 rushing TDs so altogether he had 30 TDs on the season.

Edited by dutchff7

Just to add to the Kaep vs Luck. Kaep also had a higher yards per attempt.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Just to add to the Kaep vs Luck. Kaep also had a higher yards per attempt.

Yeah, that was to my big hit vs miss claim. When Kaep did make a play, it was big (good yardage) but he missed a lot especially if you consider his low volume of attempts. It really shows how inconsistent he was. Players are usually more efficient with such a low number of attempts.

Wilson

Newton

Luck

Foles

RGIII

Tannehill

Dalton

Kaepernick

Don't understand the hate for Luck.He went to the Colts when they were the worst team in the league and has taken them to the playoffs his first 2 years. He's not perfect but he's a second year player and clearly he's getting the job done.

...People are still saying this?

I mean, its not like he was recovering last season from completely destroying his right knee or anything...

Why is it so outlandish for him to say that RGIII could outperform all three? Including Wilson's most recent season, how many years do all those guys have that are better then the one RGIII had his rookie season?

RG3 has shown us that his style of play will not work in the NFL. I know he had impressive physical attributes and wants to use his legs as a threat to defensive coordinators, but this isn't track & field. Unless he learns to avoid contact altogether like Wilson, he's going to have a much shorter career. He isn't Mr. Broken Play magic, or a running back with a cannon for an arm. If he is going to leap frog Wilson, Luck, and Cam Newton, he's going to have to do it as primarily a pocket passer, which he's never had to do before. He might be able to scramble for a third and short conversion or a sprint to the pylon sort of deal, but they are going to have to put a team around him with real offensive linemen and a defense if they hope RG3 can take them anywhere. The NFL has made him a completely different prospect now than what he was in college and in his first year. It also didn't surprise very many people that this happened.

You know how multi-dimensional Wilson & Luck can be. Luck and Newton have bigger Roethlisberger like frames and can take hits, and Wilson can use his shorter quicker, more elusive strides to extend plays. If you had all four as options, I'm not sure why in the world you would take RG3, unless you have some kind of special ipad app that shows you game film from the future and displays RG3 consistently beating secondaries from the pocket while getting rid of the ball in under 3 seconds.

Edited by BC

He played 15 games to Foles 13. Two of those 15 he played on one leg.

Given that RG3's durability is one of the main knocks against him, I don't see how that's particularly relevant. Foles was 27-2, RG3 was 20(27 if you count rushing)-5.

I'm not saying RG3 didn't have a good rookie year, but Foles was better, really no question there.

I've already said you can make a strong case for Foles year last year being better than RGIIIs rookie year - but its not cut and dried when you factor in RGIIIs rushing yardage.

Both guys had amazing years - both have to prove they can deliver at that level consistently.

I mean, its not like he was recovering last season from completely destroying his right knee or anything...

Why is it so outlandish for him to say that RGIII could outperform all three? Including Wilson's most recent season, how many years do all those guys have that are better then the one RGIII had his rookie season?

RG3 has shown us that his style of play will not work in the NFL. I know he had impressive physical attributes and wants to use his legs as a threat to defensive coordinators, but this isn't track & field. Unless he learns to avoid contact altogether like Wilson, he's going to have a much shorter career. He isn't Mr. Broken Play magic, or a running back with a cannon for an arm. If he is going to leap frog Wilson, Luck, and Cam Newton, he's going to have to do it as primarily a pocket passer, which he's never had to do before. He might be able to scramble for a third and short conversion or a sprint to the pylon sort of deal, but they are going to have to put a team around him with real offensive linemen and a defense if they hope RG3 can take them anywhere. The NFL has made him a completely different prospect now than what he was in college and in his first year. It also didn't surprise very many people that this happened.

I am REALLY not here to be a Redskins homer. I can certainly agree there are question marks about if RGIII can repeat the level of performance he showed in his rookie year. But I have to ask just what exactly do you think his style of play is? How many games of his in the NFL have you watched?

If you can watch him against the Bears and Chargers from last season and tell me this is a QB who only survives based on his ability to run around. Last year his PASSING stats were very very similar to Andrew Lucks. This without a real threat of him rushing given him coming back from injury and defenses not really fearing his speed. He was also throwing off his back leg too much again a direct impact of the injury which did effect his mechanics.

He was inconsistent and there is certainly room for growth in his ability to operate in that way but if he is and can stay healthy there is nothing that we have seen from his time in the NFL (not College) that would tell you this is a guy who can not be a successful NFL QB.

Now I totally agree that the Redskins will need to put a team around him and give him good coaching to get the best out of him. We have made a good start at the receiver and skills positions - we need to do more along the line and defense. Give RGIII a complete team (you know like Wilson had in Seattle last year) and I'm confident he will successful. Any QB needs a supporting cast to be successful.

Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

You know how multi-dimensional Wilson & Luck can be. Luck and Newton have bigger Roethlisberger like frames and can take hits, and Wilson can use his shorter quicker, more elusive strides to extend plays. If you had all four as options, I'm not sure why in the world you would take RG3, unless you have some kind of special ipad app that shows you game film from the future and displays RG3 consistently beating secondaries from the pocket while getting rid of the ball in under 3 seconds.

You're underestimating how much having such a good team around him is helping Wilson. Additionally, Luck, has had the best weapons bar none of any of these guys, two years later and he's still putting up shitty numbers but its excusable.

RGIII puts up bad numbers coming off completely destroying his knee and we start making two big assumptions. That he doesn't have the tools as a PASSER to be hands down better then all of the above, and that he can't be a great pocket passer without having to scramble.

1. Foles. Me being on the Foles train automatically means it's gonna crash and burn. With that said though, everyone except DeSean is back, so I don't see why things shouldn't progress.

2. Dalton. Bengals gonna do some things, except now that I've said that, they won't. The thing that brings Dalton's game down is the amount of picks he throws, and I think he takes a big leap forward in that area this season.

3. Cammy-Cam. Cam has no receivers every year, so why should this year be any different? He's gonna be just fine. Tarvarres King gonna beast.

4. Tannehill. Got a feeling. If the Dolphins can keep him upright, which is something they couldn't do last season, he'll be just fine.

5. Kaep. Gonna assault things on and off the field, then Blaine's gonna take control and lead the 49ers to victory.

6. Luck. Volume thrower. No run game. Bleh.

7. Wilson. You know what? Efficiency is lame. Don't even deny it.

8. RG3. Maybe things turn out to be alright in Washington, but I have absolutely no faith in it happening. Even if it does, RG3's arm or leg is going to fall off.

Edited by Vin

You're underestimating how much having such a good team around him is helping Wilson. Additionally, Luck, has had the best weapons bar none of any of these guys, two years later and he's still putting up shitty numbers but its excusable.

RGIII puts up bad numbers coming off completely destroying his knee and we start making two big assumptions. That he doesn't have the tools as a PASSER to be hands down better then all of the above, and that he can't be a great pocket passer without having to scramble.

I agree with you about RG3. I wouldn't even say he had a bad year as some people claim. Just wasn't as good as his first but considering his situation with injury etc. He gets a grace year which in all actuality wasn't bad by any means. Just not great.

Concerning Luck though, what was wrong with his numbers last year? He didn't even have Reggie Wayne for half the year this past season either. And as far as Luck having the best weapons, he did have a great receiver in Reggie Wayne but I wouldn't underestimate the value of having a top running attack which takes a considerably huge load off of the QBs.

EDIT: These rankings are in order for how I think they will perform in 2014 along with my predictions to clarify.

1. Foles - I think out of the young guys Foles has one of the best group of guys around him sure he lost Jackson but I am sure they will find a suitable replacement for him in the draft that will fit Kelly's system.

2. Luck - Luck has every reason to succeed again. If Nicks goes back to being Nicks of 2-3 seasons ago. Add in Wayne will be back and other weapons like TY. I expect the backfield to play better this year as well he has a lot of upside if it wasn't for Foles I would rank him 1.

3. Kaep. - I would rank him a little lower just because of all the stuff revolving around the 49ers & him. Also how he played through the middle of the year last year but he has a really good group of WR around him and won't be surprised when they add another sometime in this draft. Too much talent around him and with all the picks they got there will be more. So I leave him at 3.

4. Wilson - Right off a Super Bowl win, not a whole lot of teams do well the year after winning it. Not sure how healthy Harvin will stay given his track record, they resign Rice and lost Tate. I figure they will add someone in the draft but I expect a decline even though I really like the way Wilson plays. Watched him play a minor league baseball game here when he gave that a shot before going back to college.

5. Dalton - I think Dalton has done well enough the last couple of seasons the only question going into next year is how well will he did in a new offensive system. I think Cincy will be fine and his numbers will be similar to the last couple seasons.

6. RGIII - I don't take a lot of stock out of last season after that surgery. This will be his prove it year he has had time to rest that leg. They have loaded him up with some weapons with Jackson Garcon etc. A lot of things to take into consideration when it comes to RGIII is just like with Dalton how well will he do in a new offense. Then all the locker room stuff was it just a rift between him and the coach last year or is RGIII possibly turning into a coach career killer with his attitude and how much pull he has with that organization's owner behind closed doors. Just have to wait and see how he performs and if having a new staff puts some closure on those issues and how well that leg is.

7. Cam - Cam's my guy and this really has nothing to do with Cam's ability as a duel threat QB. Coming off the year he had last year I wish we would be going into this season with him up in the top 4 or 3. Even though hes my favorite QB on this list I have to agree with others they take away all his WR and replace them with new faces, hes coming off ankle surgery. The O-line is a issue also chemistry with this new group could be a issue. The draft may change my mind about this ranking mattering on who they get and even though he got my vote by default he is another wait and see because of all these moves and changes by our GM.

8. Tannehill - I have not liked what I have seen out of him so far. There O-line is still a question. He just hasn't shown enough yet for me to rank him above anyone else on this list even with all the problems all the others have. I could be totally off on this but haven't had a good feeling about him the last couple years and the moves they have made so far hasn't changed my mind on that.

Edited by panthergf
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Andrew Luck hate was somewhat amusing at first, but at this point it's a little silly. He's definitely asked to throw a lot, but I don't see how that makes him WORSE than guys who aren't asked to throw as much. The Colts have won double digit games With this "volume thrower" under center. The fact is that if he didn't throw as much, the Colts wouldn't win as much.

"But but but... Bowe, he's constantly digging his team out of holes that he himself puts them in! LULZ ANDREW LUCK FAIL!" So what you're saying is that with the ball in Luck's hands, the Colts are never out of a game. Luck has the ability to overcome mistakes rather than let them define him, and that's a bad thing?

"Yeah, but the Colts are stacked. His receivers are SICK mang." Stacked? How many Colts games have you watched? The defense is just above average on their best day, Wayne missed half the year, Hilton is constantly referred to as not that great (unless the conversation is about Luck, in which case he's Jerry Rice 2.0), lol Trent Richardson, and Luck is as good a ball carrier as Donald Brown. This team won 2 games the year before Luck showed up. Maybe our idea of stacked isn't quite the same.

"Ok, but Colin Kaepernick and Cam Newton and and RGIII and thangs. Athletes son!" Luck runs effectively when he has to. He doesn't HAVE to run to be effective. I'm not trying to take anything away from Cam, because he's coming along great. The other two though, not so much. They aren't the same passers when the run is taken away from their arsenal. Luck hangs in the pocket, gets drilled, and makes throws.

"But... ummm... ESPN loves Luck, and they're not always right, so Luck is terrible. He's just overrated and all hype. LolESPN!" Ahhh, I see what's going on here. You probably think Peyton manning is a bum too.

;p

• Upvote 2

The Andrew Luck hate was somewhat amusing at first, but at this point it's a little silly. He's definitely asked to throw a lot, but I don't see how that makes him WORSE than guys who aren't asked to throw as much. The Colts have won double digit games With this "volume thrower" under center. The fact is that if he didn't throw as much, the Colts wouldn't win as much.

"But but but... Bowe, he's constantly digging his team out of holes that he himself puts them in! LULZ ANDREW LUCK FAIL!" So what you're saying is that with the ball in Luck's hands, the Colts are never out of a game. Luck has the ability to overcome mistakes rather than let them define him, and that's a bad thing?

"Yeah, but the Colts are stacked. His receivers are SICK mang." Stacked? How many Colts games have you watched? The defense is just above average on their best day, Wayne missed half the year, Hilton is constantly referred to as not that great (unless the conversation is about Luck, in which case he's Jerry Rice 2.0), lol Trent Richardson, and Luck is as good a ball carrier as Donald Brown. This team won 2 games the year before Luck showed up. Maybe our idea of stacked isn't quite the same.

"Ok, but Colin Kaepernick and Cam Newton and and RGIII and thangs. Athletes son!" Luck runs effectively when he has to. He doesn't HAVE to run to be effective. I'm not trying to take anything away from Cam, because he's coming along great. The other two though, not so much. They aren't the same passers when the run is taken away from their arsenal. Luck hangs in the pocket, gets drilled, and makes throws.

"But... ummm... ESPN loves Luck, and they're not always right, so Luck is terrible. He's just overrated and all hype. LolESPN!" Ahhh, I see what's going on here. You probably think Peyton manning is a bum too.

;p

Perhaps the "Andrew Luck hate" is generated by the praise he gets for putting up bellow average (at best) numbers?

There was nothing below average about Luck last season.

• Upvote 2

His numbers over the last two years would disagree with you.

His 2013 numbers were good and his 2012 numbers were meh but his impact was great.

Side note: Who is that running a 40 in your sig? That dude is exceptionally fast.

His numbers over the last two years would disagree with you.

His 2013 numbers were good and his 2012 numbers were meh but his impact was great.

Side note: Who is that running a 40 in your sig? That dude is exceptionally fast.

RB/WR Dri Archer from Kent State he is in this years draft ran the fastest 40 this year at the combine. A little too small for a RB but can catch the ball well. He worked out as a RB at the combine but is listed as a WR now so I figure most teams are looking at him like Percy Harvin which is who he is being compared to as a slot guy and return guy. He is someone I would love to see the Panthers grab in the 5th if he was there.

Edited by panthergf