Tridentdawgpound

2014 MLB Season Thread

UnsteadyImpartialHarvestmouse.gif

Then he makes a sick running catch

WarmEasyBaldeagle.gif

I must have jinxed Simmons. Not only did he strike out but the Braves lost 1-0 (although Wood pitched a great ball game).

Pirates trade for Ike Davis. Not a flashy move, but Davis can hit RHP fairly well. He has a career .828 OPS and .215 ISO against RHP. Gaby Sanchez will get starts at 1B against LHP. I like this. We didn't give up much, either. Although Thornton could have some value as a Long/Middle reliever. The deal makes sense for both teams.

Edited by Sarge

Fuck the Brewers.

Seth Maness is almost destroying our bull pen by himself... Implosion after Implosion. Doesn't help that Carlos Martinez is really inconsistent. Sometimes being great and sometimes giving up 3 runs an outing. Tsk tsk.

Starting pitching has gotten so much better and then another portion of the team falters.. Annoying. :laugh:

Ike Davis hit a grand slam tonight, and has looked fantastic in general so far. I think that might be a huge pickup.

Lost to the Mets but Tyler Lyons had an admirable start, IMO. Offense just couldn't do anything and hit into multiple crucial DPs. Lame.

Lost to the Mets but Tyler Lyons had an admirable start, IMO. Offense just couldn't do anything and hit into multiple crucial DPs. Lame.

Too many baserunners other than that... nothing to complain about.

El Oso Blanco did it again. Expecting big things out of him this year and so far he isn't disappointing.

The Phillies may very well turn out to be dog shit this year, but one this is certain.

Cliff Lee is a god.

Travis Wood.

:megusta:

The Phillies may very well turn out to be dog shit this year, but one this is certain.

Cliff Lee is a god.

Still among the better pitchers in baseball. :yep:

The MLB Now guys have a formula and their top pitcher right now- I emphasize right now, is Johnny Cueto. He won't be there all year but as long as he's healthy he is one of the best in the game, imo.

Not sure who noticed it because Albert Pujols caught most of the news space after hitting his 499th and 500th homers (deservedly so) but the game between the Marlins and the Braves was truly a great game. It was one for the record books because it is the first time EVER in the modern baseball era (strange term since that includes over 100 years of baseball) that two teams combined for at least 28 strikeouts and NO walks. Fernandez was just a bit better than Alex Wood on this day but both starter pitchers did incredible.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/88265/fernandez-brings-his-best-to-the-table

I know it is still very early in the season and things have a way of working themselves out over the long season but I have several questions about Alex Wood. His talent level was always suspected to be high but the only reason he fell to the Braves was because they were basically the only team who would risk him with his unorthodox type deliver...everyone else wanted to change him (from my understanding) and have him pitch with a more easily repetitive normal delivery. Clearly the braves want to limit the innings on his young arm. The original plan was for him to start the season working some out of the bullpen but the injuries to Beachy, Medlen and Minor messed that up. Will the Braves shut him down like the Nationals did with Strasburg a couple years ago just point blank late in the year? Will they start not letting him work so deep into ball games? Will they move him into the bullpen even with a sub 2 era (which I don't expect to stay there...how could it?). Will the Braves make his skip starts (which could throw him off his rythym?) LOL with as few runs as the Braves are scoring can they even afford to miss out on his pitching? or will the Braves just let him throw innings after innings as long as he appears unhurt?

I am anxious to see how it all play out. For now I am just enjoying the ride of this hot young pitcher who so far has bad luck.

The Braves will not skip the 5th starter even though they have 2 different off days coming up soon (one on thursday). That will mean Woods will start on 6 days rest next Tuesday I believe against Jose Fernandez again. Surely round II can't be as good as the first game was for the two young pitchers.

Pretty cool interactive map: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/23/upshot/24-upshot-baseball.html

You can click the map, and zoom in on counties and see the % of support for baseball teams in that region, etc. Also later on in the page it breaks down the borders with teams in close proximity and their fan support. Most interesting being the cities with two teams like the Bay area with the Giants and A's, the Chicago and New York clubs, and the Angels and Dodgers.

• Upvote 1

Pretty cool interactive map: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/23/upshot/24-upshot-baseball.html

You can click the map, and zoom in on counties and see the % of support for baseball teams in that region, etc. Also later on in the page it breaks down the borders with teams in close proximity and their fan support. Most interesting being the cities with two teams like the Bay area with the Giants and A's, the Chicago and New York clubs, and the Angels and Dodgers.

Neat map.

So... the Pirates are 5 games under .500.

Not time to panic yet. It is still extremely early. I think there are definitely some good signs overall. They aren't striking out a ton as a team right now, and they are at least drawing plenty of walks. They are losing a lot of 1 run games. They just need that one big hit, and they aren't getting it often right now. I think their offense will pick it up soon. They have a pretty low BABIP, so they should see some better results going forward.

Last year the Pirates won a ton of close ball games and had a lot of things gel for them. Their pitching last year was fantastic. Not easy to do those things two seasons in a row. I do think they will have a very competitive season but for some reason I don't see them in the playoffs this year although it is VERY early still.

Planco tearing up the minors. When do they repleace Tabata with him? If they wait until mid to late June it might be too late.

Man... we just suck. haha

Waiting for Allen Craig to turn the bat on, but it just ain't happening.

Last year the Pirates won a ton of close ball games and had a lot of things gel for them. Their pitching last year was fantastic. Not easy to do those things two seasons in a row. I do think they will have a very competitive season but for some reason I don't see them in the playoffs this year although it is VERY early still.

Planco tearing up the minors. When do they repleace Tabata with him? If they wait until mid to late June it might be too late.

I just think the record isn't accurately reflecting how they are actually playing overall right now. Hitting in baseball is a weird thing. Typically if you are walking a lot and not striking out a lot, you put up runs. But some guys are just hammering the ball right at guys on the field, like Alvarez. His average sucks, but he''s more selective at the plate so far than last year, which shows a more mature and better hitter. Marte is struggling right now, though, and he's the leadoff hitter. They just need to get some hits to drop in and shore up the defense a little bit. May will be a better month for these Buccos.

Polanco won't be up until June. They are sticking to that Super Two date.