Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Weekly Discussion Topic: April 6-12 (Tips)

Your Opinion on Bartender/Server Tips  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Does it Help or Hurt Bartenders/Servers to be so Vocal About not Getting Tips?

• Helps--while it may not cause bad tippers to improve by any measurable %, it causes good tippers to try to compensate.
    • Maybe helps--if it sways a few people to tip better, it's for the good of everyone.
    • Probably doesn't help--making light of it is more likely to cause less people to tip
    • Doesn't help--good tippers will tip well; bad tippers will tip poorly. It's the nature of the game.
    • I quite frankly don't care: I tip based on bartender/server performance. If they're poor, I tip them poor. If they're good, I leave them a good tip.
  2. 2. Do bartenders/servers who are vocal about this issue bother you?

• Yes. Understand the environment you're working in and deal with those realities.
    • No. The issue needs to be out there if it's ever to improve.
  3. 3. Have you ever been a bartender/server?

I feel as though we need some more healthy discussion revolving around everyday issues. We seem to discuss tips a lot in the shoutbox, and I figured we could lay out our opinions in a thread.

I've bartended before, and while it irritated me that so many people are poor tippers, if I took care of everyone fairly well, there'd be a handful of people who'd leave better tips to help make up for it. I didn't vocally talk about it, and I tried not to be that bartender who lingers when money is exchanged. Tips are meant to sit on the table or the bar, first. I always felt awkward when people would straight up hand them to me.

I really dislike when I hear bartenders and servers bitch about things like tips and the kinds of customers they deal with. It's the nature of the goddamn job. I had an awful drunk. The guy wasn't a fighter but he thought he knew everything and drank rail brandy (E & J) like it was water. I always had to be careful with him, or he'd stay til close in a bar that I could normally shut down by 11pm on weekdays.

I also find that a lot of the bartenders/servers who whine about these issues are really poor at what they do. They're either airheaded or rude or completely inattentive to their customers, then they wonder why they get the short end the tip jar.

The entitlement to nice tips is what gets me. It's long been custom to earn tips the proper way, by doing your damn job well. Yes, some people will stiff you, but I find that most wouldn't if I did a good job. It's not customers' faults that the restaurant business somehow hasn't been regulated and forced to at least pay minimum wage, yet.

I genuinely found, as a bartender, that if I performed my job and other tasks well, I'd get plenty in tips and keep everyone happy. Anyway, there's my two cents.

What do the rest of you think?

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

Never been a server myself, but as far as I understand, the minimum wage laws in the States are pants on head retarded so tips are necessary for survival. I'm a lousy tipper by nature, but that's because I'm a poor college student. Basically if a server ever complains about not getting tips, there may be a good reason for it. Like taking 30 minutes before even visiting a table, or being rude to a customer, etc etc.

I tip based on performance. Is that not the whole point of a tip anyways? Its something the server or bartender should have to earn, they aren't entitled to a certain amount IMO. Yes I believe you should always tip, but I'm not about to tip some well for shitty service.

What pisses me off more though is most places already charge you for gratuity now. It shouldn't be allowed as it wasn't a part of my order.

People are making this about tipping, and that's not what it is about. Employers should be giving them a semi-regular wage.

I am a server... I don't openly complain about the state of tipping really. If it was that big of an issue, as many say... I'd find a new job. But I also don't like egomaniac douchebags on here saying shit like, "You are unskilled and don't deserve that money" or "Stop complaining and go to school" or some ridiculousness like that. If you get good service and still don't tip appropriately (which is mostly what this group is).. You should stay at home and eat Ramen noodles.

Be respectful of your server, tip appropriate for the service you receive, and there isn't a problem.

I do not agree with gratuities, forced tipping, or whatever to any extent. All bullshit. Most states dont' have to pay theirs servers more than $5 an hour -- some even as low as ~$2/hr. That's where the problem is -- not with the overall tipping of people.

Edited by Favre4Ever

When it comes to tipping I do it different than most. Every time I walk into a restaurant I go a few times and I find the one waiter I really like. In the mean time I tip between 25 and 35 percent depending but when I find the one I like I usually tip really well because that is the majority of the income and I understand that they get paid shit without them. I dont eat out much but I found a place with a pretty damn good tilapia filet and it is about 9 bucks without tax so I always tip Charles 6 bucks.

I have never worked in the food service industry but I definitely feel for them because the economy is rough and a good part of their income is dependent people in a recession. I think that as Favre said there needs to be regulatory guidelines on the minimum wage and a huge increase because when I was in Kansas the minimum wage was 2.15 for a server if you get lunch on a wednesday it is not worth the gas you used to get their so I definitely understand that aspect.

As to demanding it. I am ok with it because I think everyone is entitled to get paid what they are worth. If you are terrible at what you do then 2 dollars may fit, but if you are great at it then you should be paid great according to industry standards.

JD, what restaurants should be paying their employees may very well be the next discussion topic, but this is about tips, and whether or not the handful of servers/bartenders who are vocal about it, are helping the cause and necessarily deserve them.

Nobody deserves to be paid $2-4 an hour, but that doesn't mean the rest of that money needs to be paid by customers who may not have been satisfied by a server/bartenders performance.

For instance, any bartender who won't fix a drink and take advice on how to make it better is a bartender I may tip poorly. There are bartenders out there who just want to burn everything, or in cases of more intricate drinks, jip you on the ingredients. I will give advice (as it's very often a first time bartender) as a customer who's been in their shoes. Most listen and are thankful, but those who just blow me off get tipped very little. I don't want a Caesar that's 3/4 rail vodka, you know?

I have already said I disagree with putting that extra against customers... Although a lot of people want to know what they are really paying for. There are little hidden charges and add-ons everywhere you go.

I've just seen the discussion start regarding paying tipped employees more.There are representatives and people at the highest form of our government that want to put into place, legislation that pays these employees more per hour. Instead of actually discussing that, my local news as totally flipped the switch and is just asking everyone about "forced tipping" and other such issues that aren't the real issue, IMO.

Now, this is your thread... so you can talk about whatever the hell you want. Just throwing that out there. People are going to tip what they want no matter what. Only way that is changing is if gratuities are permanent and all-inclusive. Don't exactly see that happening.Especially with the feds making it mandatory for all gratuities to be properly filed, taxed, and then given to the server on their checks. My guess is you see less gratuities... From the small places anyway, not sure the chains care enough about their employees to do it any differently.

My bad on the petty sounding post, man. I was just trying to make sure we discussed the initial topic. I do agree with you. The primary issue is that restaurants don't pay their servers/bartenders. I'm already thinking of poll questions for next week, on that topic.

My standard tip is 20%, it fluctuates depending upon the performance of the waitperson.

I completely disagree about not tipping barber/hair stylist. I grew up not even having to consider that. I don't feel the slightest bit bad, if I don't, but if a barber or stylist makes good small talk and does a good job, I'll tip them. It's not an always thing, though, and it shouldn't be.

Agreed (with Bucman). Honestly tip my hair person more than anyone else. Granted I usually only spend $7 or so... but I honestly usually double the bill with the tip. As long as they don't try forcing a bunch of dumb conversation on me and I don't look completely ridiculous -- anyway. Ha

Edited by Favre4Ever

I may think the way I do because the barber I had growing up actually owned the shop, and therefore profits went directly to him. I can understand it from the perspective of barbers/stylists working for a company, but they still make a livable wage, at least, and it's not like two to five bucks an hour.

Speaking of livable wage, that may be another topic worth discussing. What do we all consider livable wage? That'd be a good discussion.

Edited by BwareDWare94

While I agree, I don't tip servers simply because they make little to nothing per hour. I honestly just feel like I should. Granted, I am a server and I understand the business better than most... but it's as simple as that.

EDIT: Also, I really like this idea of yours Bware. Touche, sir.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I may think the way I do because the barber I had growing up actually owned the shop, and therefore profits went directly to him. I can understand it from the perspective of barbers/stylists working for a company, but they still make a livable wage, at least, and it's not like two to five bucks an hour.

Speaking of livable wage, that may be another topic worth discussing. What do we all consider livable wage? That'd be a good discussion.

I don't know what barber or stylists you been to, unless your going to some celeb one. They make little money as well and some even have to pay a fee for the area they have.

I tip 5 dollars regardless. The whole idea of tipping is foreign to me, but I would hate to not get tipped for my services.

Do elaborate. You tip $5 if you order a drink at a bar and $5 if you and your date just ate at Applebee's for $50?

I don't go to a bar so I've never had to tip at a bar. Only times I'm really in a situation where I need to tip someone is when I'm at the restaurant or when I order pizza. In either situation I usually leave $5. I've never spent more then 25 at a restaurant though, so I'm pretty sure I usually give at least 20%... No?

The following people should always be tipped at least something:

- Servers/Bartenders

- Delivery Drivers (Come on, you're saving gas money for them to bring food to you. And in bad weather, I tip extra.)

- Barbers

Tipping is good karma, too. If you become a frequent customer at a restaurant, bar, food delivery service, or barber shop, the people will recognize you as a good tipper and will likely go above and beyond what they would do for others. When I served at a restaurant, I always took the best care of my regular customers that left decent tips.

My standard tip is 20%, it fluctuates depending upon the performance of the waitperson.

This exactly. You're probably getting 20% from me. At lowest I'll go 15% but you have to have done something to upset me. Sometimes I go up to 25 or 30% too.

• Upvote 1