3. Patrick Peterson

4. Joe Haden

5. Brent Grimes

6. Ladarius Webb

7. Chris Harris

8. DRC

9. Jonathan Joseph

10. Keenan Lewis

Talib is so overrated. Barely anyone said a word about him when he was on the Bucs, but because he went to the Patriots and had a few good games, everyone hopped all over his shit. Dude is incredibly inconsistent and gets burned a pretty good amount. If you actually think he is a top 10 CB, watch his performance against Hakeem Nicks in 2012. He got schooled sooo bad, one of the worst games I've ever seen from a CB.

1. Darrelle Revis

2. Richard Sherman

3. Patrick Peterson

4. Joe Haden

5. Brent Grimes

6. Ladarius Webb

7. Chris Harris

8. DRC

9. Jonathan Joseph

10. Keenan Lewis

Talib is so overrated. Barely anyone said a word about him when he was on the Bucs, but because he went to the Patriots and had a few good games, everyone hopped all over his shit. Dude is incredibly inconsistent and gets burned a pretty good amount. If you actually think he is a top 10 CB, watch his performance against Hakeem Nicks in 2012. He got schooled sooo bad, one of the worst games I've ever seen from a CB.

In 80 possible games, he only played 58. Being a Falcons fan, I got to watch him a lot and he was really freaking good. Problem is that in those 58 games, while I can't give a number, I'm almost positive that he was only really 100% healthy for like half of them lol

Other problem being that the coaching staff didn't really put him in position to succeed and play to his potential. That's what you are seeing with the Patriots. They're using him to the skillset he possesses. He's also got a lot of issues with his attitude. He's a lot like say, Randy Moss, on the football field. The guy only plays when he wants to.

Talib is a beast when he's healthy, no doubt.

My List:

1. Darrelle Revis

2. Patrick Peterson

3. Richard Sherman

4. Joe Haden - Sometimes I feel like he's #1, but other times I feel like he could be outside 10. Inconsistent.

5. Brent Grimes - GrimeTime has hit the big stage! Man, wish he was still a Falcon!

6. Chris Harris

7. Vontae Davis

8. Alterraun Verner

9. Desmond Trufant - graded out as one of the top in the league last season by several, he's a stud.

10. Lardarius Webb

• Upvote 1

In 80 possible games, he only played 58. Being a Falcons fan, I got to watch him a lot and he was really freaking good. Problem is that in those 58 games, while I can't give a number, I'm almost positive that he was only really 100% healthy for like half of them lol

Other problem being that the coaching staff didn't really put him in position to succeed and play to his potential. That's what you are seeing with the Patriots. They're using him to the skillset he possesses. He's also got a lot of issues with his attitude. He's a lot like say, Randy Moss, on the football field. The guy only plays when he wants to.

Talib is a beast when he's healthy, no doubt.

My List:

1. Darrelle Revis

2. Patrick Peterson

3. Richard Sherman

4. Joe Haden - Sometimes I feel like he's #1, but other times I feel like he could be outside 10. Inconsistent.

5. Brent Grimes - GrimeTime has hit the big stage! Man, wish he was still a Falcon!

6. Chris Harris

7. Vontae Davis

8. Alterraun Verner

9. Desmond Trufant - graded out as one of the top in the league last season by several, he's a stud.

10. Lardarius Webb

Talib is very inconsistent. He gets burned a lot more than you think. I watched pretty much every snap he played as a Buc. Sometime he'd be a great shutdown CB, but other times he'd get abused.

• Upvote 1

Talib is very inconsistent. He gets burned a lot more than you think. I watched pretty much every snap he played as a Buc. Sometime he'd be a great shutdown CB, but other times he'd get abused.

I was agreeing with you. Lol

He's also got a lot of issues with his attitude. He's a lot like say, Randy Moss, on the football field. The guy only plays when he wants to.

He's inconsistent because it's like he refuses to give a full effort sometimes.You go back and watch (even no in New England) the plays he gets burned on it's like he's not even on the same field as the guy he's facing. He has shutdown corner potential, and then he gets a big head.

Everyone knows what Sanders said about tackling "It's a business decision" well, for Talib, covering seems to be a "business decision"

I hate top 10 lists because there is inevitably that one guy you feel guilty leaving off the list but you would feel as guilty taking anyone off. Anywho:

Darelle Revis.

Richard Sherman.

Patrick Peterson.

Joe Haden.

Lardarius Webb.

Aqib Talib

Brent Grimes.

Jonathan Joseph.

Chris Harris.

Jimmy Smith.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You must not have watched him much after week 4.

1. Patrick Peterson :Cardinals:

2. Darrelle Revis :patriots:

3. Brent Grimes :dolphins:

4. Richard Sherman :Seahawks:

5. Joe Haden :Browns:

6. Dominique Rodgers Cromartie :Giants:

7. Aqib Talib :Broncos:

8. Leon Hall :Bengals:

9. Vontae Davis :Colts:

10. Keenan Lewis :Saints:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dutch's case against Sherman as #1 has sunk in for me. I could see Revis retaking the top spot under Belichick, but based in what happened last year I think Peterson is the better player. The knee and usage could have been affecting him, but that's a hard thing to gauge. In general, my list prioritizes a player's ability to man up against the best and dominate.

• Upvote 1

1. Richard Sherman :Seahawks:

2. Darrelle Revis :patriots:

3. Joe Haden :Browns:

4. Brent Grimes :dolphins:

5. Patrick Peterson :Cardinals:

6. Aqib Talib :Broncos:

7. Chris Harris Jr. :Broncos:

8. Keenan Lewis :Saints:

9. Desmond Trufant :Falcons:

10. Tim Jennings :Bears:

Honorable mention: DRC, Joseph, Hall, Boykin, Flowers

Edited my list:

1. :Patriots: Darrelle Revis - Still the best corner in the game imo. Was misutilized last year primarily in zone coverage but he still had an elite year coming off an injury and was lock down in man to man opportunities. He still showed elite awareness, fluidity, and ball skills breaking up passes. I expect him to have an awesome year with the Patriots and with a coach who knows how to use him.

2. :Cardinals: Patrick Peterson - Unrivaled athleticism and always a threat to throw too. Not as technically sound as Revis but still one of the best in the league. Follows the #1 receiver all game. He doesn't have the success that Revis does and probably why he gets a little flack on this board but Peterson still a top corner in this league. If he can clean up his footwork and technique, he could probably be the best. Athleticism isn't everything though.

3. :dolphins: Brent Grimes - Outstanding corner and severely underrated. His closing speed breaking on routes is ridiculous. He has phenomenal athletic ability and can do everything very well. He plays like a big corner. He has a very low key personality and not as publicized as the younger stars as his position. He had one of the top performances at his positions this past year and it's more than disputable stacking his season against any of the top guys. He's also more technically sound then Peterson and Haden and follows the #1 receiver as well. This choice is against popular choice but the popular choices are usually enslaved by the media but a lot of gems go under the radar with the media.

4. :Seahawks: Richard Sherman - Amazing corner and is a bonafide pic magnet. In some eyes, it may be hard to justify having him this low. However though, I consider the circumstances that Sherman is in. He only plays on one side and doesn't follow the #1 receiver like the best guys do. That shouldn't take away from his game but being in that one area, he doesn't even have to prepare for a lot of different types of routes he'll be facing in that one zone (area) in their cover 3 scheme (a great point that D-mac brought up). Also, the Seahawks pass rush was elite AND Sherman has an all pro safety who's the best in the league over top of him. Sherman's numbers are great but I can't put him over guys who are on lesser teams and having more difficult jobs and still playing at an elite level.

5. :Broncos: Aqib Talib - This dude is an absolute stud. Former gangsta, follows the #1 receiver around the field and was having an all star year before he got hurt. He's a top corner in the league but still vastly underrated imo. The only nag on him is injuries. Talib is baller. I like Talib more than Sherman.

6. :Browns: Joe Haden - Top corner (and top paid) in the league at his position. My only issue with Haden is that it seems when he tries to relocate the ball, he tends to slow down more then he should but he's an outstanding play maker and is the cornerstone of that Browns defense. Franchise player without a doubt.

7. :Giants: Dominique Rogers Cromartie - This may surprise some but DRC had an amazing season last year. The performance from this season alone warrants a higher ranking on this list but he has to prove some sort of consistency. DRC always had the ability but his effort and drive always came into question. If he has another year like last year this season, he moves several spots up on this list. It's not a stretch to say DRC somewhat had an elite season last year.

8. :Bucs: Alterraun Verner - Quietly had a remarkable season. His awareness and fluidity is outstanding and only outmatched by Revis in this regard in my opinion. His short area quickness and play recognition was great as well. The only problem is that he severely lacks long speed but he still had a great season.

9. :Saints: Keenan Lewis - Didn't play as awesome as he did with the Steelers (Lebeau is a boss) but still had a relatively good season. Keenan Lewis's strength appears to be more man coverage than zone coverage. He lacks the short area quickness in space at times and that showed in zone coverage (and at the LoS) but he did very well in man when given the chance. I think he deserves this spot.

10. :Colts: Vontae Davis - Very solid corner and knew he would pay off when the Colts acquired him. I think he's a solid piece on the Colts defense and hopefully they can get some pass rush to compliment him soon.

Honorable Mentions:

:Bengals: Leon Hall - Might appear to be a very unusual pick but from a talent perspective, Leon Hall has probably been the most underrated corner I've ever seen. Injuries have plagued him lately but he does everything VERY well from covering outside receivers to being the top slot corner in the league (Brandon Boykin is sniffing the crown if he doesn't have it already). Very versatile player. Even though he was injured last year, still want to give this guy some recognition.

:Eagles: Brandon Boykin - Boykin was exceptional at the slot position and easily was the best slot corner in the league last year. He has a nose for the ball and some made great game changing plays year including the game ending interception that got us into the playoffs.

:Bills: Stephon Gilmore - I really like this kid. He's a great talent and I think he will continually move up this list as he develops and gains experience. He will be an interesting kid to watch.

Edited by Dutch
  • Upvote 1

I really haven't paid close attention to Ladarius Webb since before he got hurt in the Ravens superbowl year. He was most definitely a top corner in the league before his injury. I haven't had a chance to follow up on him after that so I can't justify having him on my list at this time.

Probably will change after I sit down with this Rewind and actually watch all these corners but so far here is my top 5 cause I don't think I have a clear 10 yet.

1. D. Revis: I put him at the top projecting a full recovery (yes I know he made the pro bowl) but I'm looking for him to come out looking as natural as he did with the Jets. Fully healthy there is still no corner in the NFL who excels at every technique like he does. His best value is traveling and locking up with the #1 receiver, but he has shown time and again he can play zone and from a off technique or a press. He can jam receivers and throw them off or just run with them. The fact that he is now playing for one of the top football minds is icing on the cake.

2. R. Sherman: As much as I don't like the fact that he stays on one side of the ball, and his ability to shut down half the field is very overrated...I still think he is absolutely smothering. His size jamming a receiver on the line is enough to cause problems, but he makes his money with his tremendous ball skills and ball location. He knows when to go up and how to angle himself. If he isn't pressing someone he will most def be beat initially, but his length and explosiveness allow him to recover most of the time. He only plays the left side, he plays cover 3 (which isn't easy) most of the time, and he presses most of the time....I get it, but if you have one trick then you better be elite at it and right now he is.

3. P. Peterson: I really struggled putting him here. Plain and simple he plays with little technique which has always been the result of elite athleticism. He follows the #1 and he plays head up all game. He returns kicks and punts sometimes, and he gets in on offense in the wildcat. You can't deny he is top 5 most athletic in the NFL, a baby primetime if you want to say. I don't think his ball location or his ability to break in and out of his backpedal is above average yet, but at the end of the day he can mirror a receiver like few can and of course if he does get a pick he changes field position.

4. J. Haden: The one I really wanted to put at three, but I believe some other people have pointed out his inconsistent play. Haden flies under the radar even for an inconsistent player, interestingly enough his first pick six came this year. I don't think there is a coincidence with the lack of highlight reel plays and his perception. But he is tough, will get in a receiver's face and compete. He isn't a blanket, but you will have to bring it every play and complete the catch all the way through the process with him.

5. J. Joseph: This last spot a lot of arguements can be made, but "j jo" caught my eye while watching Watt's season. I never really knew his game, but he matched up with the top receiver and he is a physical guy alot like Haden. BUT the thing that really impressed me is that he is a very good tackler. Run support from a corner really impresses me and he played the run with fire and wrapped up some great backs and laid hits on top receivers. Besides his physical play he still has the length to recover and make plays.

I see Grimes is a popular choice, I really haven't watched him in Miami and don't know his game well enough. A number of other players could be at number five as I said before.

4. :Seahawks: Richard Sherman - Amazing corner and is a bonafide pic magnet. In some eyes, it may be hard to justify having him this low. However though, I consider the circumstances that Sherman is in. He only plays on one side and doesn't follow the #1 receiver like the best guys do. That shouldn't take away from his game but being in that one area, he doesn't even have to prepare for a lot of different types of routes he'll be facing in that cover 3 scheme. Also, the Seahawks pass rush was elite AND Sherman has an all pro safety who's the best in the league over top of him. Sherman's numbers are great but I can't put him over guys who are on lesser teams and having more difficult jobs and still play at an elite level.

With most defenses, their secondary is helped out by the pass rush forcing an early throw. In Seattle's case though, it's the other way around. More often than not, the QB's holding onto the ball longer than normal because he has nowhere to throw to, giving the pass rush more time to get there. While Bennett and Avril are good players, our pass rush is not elite. Our secondary is.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000370024/article/new-york-jets-dee-milliner-im-the-best-corner-in-nfl

New York Jets' Dee Milliner: I'm the best corner in NFL

Dee Milliner has inserted himself into the ongoing debate over the NFL's top cornerback.

Looking past the likes of Richard Sherman and the iconic player whose shoes he's trying to fill in New York -- Darrelle Revis -- the Jets second-year cover man claims he's the ultimate at the position.

"The best corner in the league? Me," Milliner told Manish Mehta of the Daily News on Saturday. "I ain't gonna say that somebody else is better than me."

Milliner's uneven rookie campaign improved down the stretch, but he was dangerously shaky in coverage during a season that saw him benched three times. The megaton-level boast from last year's No. 9 overall pick feels disconnected from reality for anyone who watched the game tape.

The young corner, though, wasn't finished:

"I'm not going to say somebody that plays the same position is better than me," Milliner said. "Don't care if they've been in the league 10 years and I've been here five months. That's how it's going to go. I'm the best. I'm not going to say that another man that plays the same position ... and say he's better than me? I can't do that."

Milliner "can't do that," but we can. Still mired in the caterpillar stage of his career, Milliner has plenty to prove to Jets fans -- and the entire league -- before labeling himself a butterfly.

:yao: Well, that is good to have that mentality but that young man needs to refrain from answering those type of questions unless you are realistically in the conversation; especially after a shaky campaign.

Edited by Dutch

While I think 99% of us will disagree, and about 98% of us wouldn't even put Dee Milliner in the talks of top 15 yet, at least he answered that question correctly. If you want to be the best, you have to think you're the best, when when you really aren't. Confidence plays such a huge role in how likely you are to actually reach your ceiling.

He's definitely got one hell of a long way to go to be in any sort of discussions yet.

I'd rather have a player who strives every day to be the best over one who thinks he is already the best. Those who are the best strive to be best. Those who aren't, think they already are.

Edited by Chernobyl426

Brandon Flowers and Shareece Wright made the same claim. I think these guys know that it obviously isn't true, but that's the kind of mindset a lot of dudes need to maintain if they're going to succeed at corner.

Brandon Flowers has much more of a claim to say that. A little more leeway because he's at least been a surefire top 10 corner. Those other guys though, they need to stop and earn some stripes before they make ridiculous comments like that.

Brandon Flowers has much more of a claim to say that. A little more leeway because he's at least been a surefire top 10 corner. Those other guys though, they need to stop and earn some stripes before they make ridiculous comments like that.

I don't know about Milliner because I didn't actually hear the sound, but the other guys I've heard almost sounded tongue in cheek. Like 'I know this isn't true, but you're sure as heck not getting another answer out of me.'

But I doubt any of them believe it so thoroughly to the point that they don't feel the need to strive to become better.

BximrK2IIAATyJw.jpg

People can hate all they want, but Sherman recovered nicely for making a mistake.

• Upvote 1

People can hate all they want, but Sherman recovered nicely for making a mistake.

It's not "hating" to point out his shortcomings when he's soooooo annoying pointing out his strengths.

• Upvote 1

Sherman may have allowed a pass but the other highly regarded top corners in the game named Patrick Peterson and Joe Haden have allowed a TD in each game so far. Haden particularly has looked horrible.

I don't really care for the pic above, but I can't for the life of me figure out why teams don't send faster/quicker guys at Sherman. I've seen this guy struggle with the likes of a Titus Young.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F