• Ben Roethlisberger, Le'Veon Bell, Antonio Brown
    • Tony Romo, Demarco Murray, Dez Bryant
    • Andy Dalton, Giovanni Bernard, A.J Green
    • Aaron Rodgers, Eddie Lacy, Jordy Nelson
    • Jay Cutler, Matte Forte, Brandon Marshall
    • Nick Foles, LeSean McCoy, Jeremy Maclin
    • Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, Percy Harvin
    • Colin Kaepernick, Frank Gore, Michael Crabtree

I like Jordy, but that Seattle game kinda sticks in my crawl as far as he's concerned. He couldn't do shit against Sherman. I think Julio would be good enough to at least get some looks against a guy like Sherman. Maybe Rodgers was scared to throw his way though idk, but I didn't exactly see Jordy beat Sherman either.

I like Jordy, but that Seattle game kinda sticks in my crawl as far as he's concerned. He couldn't do shit against Sherman. I think Julio would be good enough to at least get some looks against a guy like Sherman. Maybe Rodgers was scared to throw his way though idk, but I didn't exactly see Jordy beat Sherman either.

Sherman was covering Jarrett Boykin most of the night. He lined up on Jordy maybe a handful of times. And the Packers were definitely avoiding him on purpose -- which I don't like.. But Mike McCarthy is no genius.

At least it's far more debatable rather than Josh McCown being a top 10 QB.

Jordy definitely is a top WR in this league without a doubt but I don't think it's as simply put as your post suggest. I don't see how Jordy is the better deep threat. Julio Jones is leading the league in YaTC (Yards at the catch) with 424 yards which means he is consistently beating guys for big gains down the field. Not only that, Julio is leading the league in splash plays 20+ yards in big plays. Julio is much more explosive. Jordy doesn't get the attention that Julio does coverage wise because Aaron Rodgers is so dangerous spreading the ball around and will hurt you regardless. As far as route running, the only thing I would say about Jordy is that he is exceptional at the double move. However, I wouldn't give him the overly high praise as if he's in a league by himself as you seem to be inferring. Might be a slight exaggeration there. However, in regards to insane catches, Julio wins that hands down. That's not even a contest. Julio is an absolute freak.

jjcatch.0.gif

joness.gif

julio-jones-catch1.gif

JULIO-JONES-TD-CATCH.gif

Goddamn those are some insane catches. And the awareness? Jesus. That third gif for example; he's just inches from stepping out. Dude is simply amazing.

Goddamn those are some insane catches. And the awareness? Jesus. That third gif for example; he's just inches from stepping out. Dude is simply amazing.

Yeah it's ridiculous. Julio is playing like the best WR in the league right now.

So you really only refuted one point with any kind of analysis -- which in my mind still doesn't tip the scales into Julio's favor even if I concede the point. Julio does have more catches of 20+ yards but I look at a lot more things than one or two stats to come to my conclusion. Among them, the fact that Julio is just on the field a lot more. The Packers do a lot with personnel because Mike McCarthy thinks he is smarter than everyone else but really isn't. And with the no huddle, if they call a grouping that doesn't feature Jordy, they can go most of the drive without including him. You brought it up as some kind of knock on him for some reason, but as you mentioned... The Packers and Aaron spread the ball around more. He always has. So Jordy doesn't get the same opportunities or volume stats all the time that Julio does.

That isn't a knock on Jordy or his skill set... You can't allow a teams play style, tendencies, or what have you to negatively effect your analysis of said player. He's done nothing wrong, don't penalize him for it. Watching Jordy work down field, watching him work over DBs, watching him run by DBs -- even on non-targets if highly impressive. I concede that it may be closer than I originally stated, but I stand by Jordy being a better deep threat. Even with fewer 20+ yard catches (although, he does have more 40+ catches).

Much less, we aren't even talking about just this year... At least I'm not... Jordy Nelson led the league in catches of 25+ yards a year ago. In the last 20 years, only 4 WRs have had more 25+ yard catches in a single season than Nelson did last year (Julio isn't one of them). And I know what you are thinking... Julio wasn't there as often and didn't really compete in that department last year... True... But you also have to remember, Jordy Nelson played with FOUR quarterbacks in that record setting season. Four.

Also, you make a deduction that because Julio has more catches of 20+ yards that he is automatically more explosive. I don't agree with that at all. It may be a factor, but as stated previously... Jordy does more with the ball and more consistently. Julio may have more yards at the catch, but Jordy leads Julio by a fair margin in YAC and YAC/R (Jordy is one of the highest in the league in both categories, while Julio is shockingly low in YAC/R [31/61 eligible WRs]). To me, even with more longer gains... Jordy proves he is the more dangerous and explosive WR... He catches the ball and doesn't stop working. Julio catches the ball and doesn't do much more.

Also, per play.. Per route run, Jordy leads the league in yards. A very safe distance (for the time being) a head of Julio. As I keep saying... Jordy does more every single time the ball is snapped than Julio. Every single time. Not to mention that QBs have a rating of over 130 throwing at Nelson since 2011 (Julio's first year in the league) which is good enough for BEST among wide receivers.

iblReRw7Yo6VNZ.gif

fe2fbf7174695e2d16be31b4a7c4db95.gif?140

jordynelson.jpg

0bae281f71fb67bfc4ce34dbf439c1dc.gif?140

Jordy Nelson has the best body control (your multiple Julio toe tap gifs) in the league. Bar none. I can't explain how much of a landslide it is adequately. Nobody works the sideline like Jordy Nelson. Nobody. Julio does not compare, even if he is #2 and amazingly good. Nobody works harder to go after a pass like Nelson does and the result is phenomenal. The one handed grab in Dallas, the 10,000 diving catches that Julio never makes...

More reading material:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/catch-radius-best-nfc

Granted, this is for a Julio limited season, but it isn't volume stats anyway, so it really makes little difference.

fa078bbb615a6e9aa31cfc03ba30caea.gif?140

Now, I realize this doesn't seem all that impressive on it's face... But it supports my position extremely well. Aaron Rodgers throws that ball 'poorly' on purpose. He throws it low and away from the defender, forcing his receiver to go to the ground and dive for the catch... Jordy makes these catches all the time, Julio (at least last season) didn't make a single catch like this). Again.. Jordy does more and fights more for every single catch. I feel a theme going on here.

• Upvote 2

I don't know if I'd say Jordy > Julio, but Jordy doesn't get enough love on the site, IMO.

Definitely seems like it. As great as Jordy is, I feel he still doesn't get the full credit he deserves around here.

Edited by Crash3021
  • Upvote 1

That's the F4E that I miss. It's late and I have to get up early for a long day tomorrow. Great post/refute and I'll try and get back to it tomorrow.

Jordy is a great WR, but right now Julio is better. Its not even really that close, IMO.

Right now, this season, Julio is playing like the best WR in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

Jordy is a great WR, but right now Julio is better. Its not even really that close, IMO.

Right now, this season, Julio is playing like the best WR in the NFL.

If people are really judging this as a power rankings of best trio (see: LeVeon Bell being proclaimed a top 5 RB after 4 or 5 games this season; of course he did show some flashes last season as well) then ranking Jordy in the same breath as Julio is fairly reasonable when they are nearly dead even statistically this season.

This whole Jordy vs. Julio argument is exaggerated on both sides so far. We all know how explosive of an athlete Julio is but the numbers back up how explosive Jordy is too and they're both pretty big WR's, but lets be honest, it's hard to believe that a white WR is as good as Jordy is. I think that's why he gets slept on and he's not some gimmick slot guy like Welker. We haven't seen a white WR as effective as Nelson literally since Steve Largent and Largent was nowhere near the athlete Nelson is. Totally different players. Nelson is a legit number 1 WR. Making a top 5 WR list right now with how many awesome WR's there are is so hard though. Calvin Johnson is number 1. We all know that, after him it gets pretty muddled.

• Upvote 2

I think we can all post GIFs of our guys as some sort of "proof" that they're better. But the reality is that Jordy and Julio both have a huge catch radius, and pretty reliable hands. Both can catch the deep ball. Julio is obviously the better athlete, not because Jordy isn't athletic but because Julio is just special that way. Jordy is obviously (to me) the better technician, not because Julio is sloppy but because Jordy is one of the best that way.

I really value technical proficiency in wide receivers. So I lean Jordy. But I am not surprised by anyone who would take Jones, and by that same token they shouldn't be surprised that someone else would prefer Nelson. And Jordy is 4 years older, so we may see Jones continue to develop and gain a big, obvious edge in due time.

• Upvote 2

GImme Julio Jones over Nelson. And this is coming from someone who's always putting Nelson in his top 5s. Give me Jones and maybe Dez Bryant.

At least as far as rankings go, not based on my preferences... That list is probably a tad longer.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

I believe they are fairly even, both possess great talents and play WR differently. Julio is a physical specimen and can dominate CBs like Dex Bryant and Calvin Johnson can do as well. Where Nelson abuses DBs with his route-running and playing the ball better than any WR. An advantage that Nelson has is how clutch he is and how great him and Rodgers have been. Nelson is Rodgers' go to guy when they need to pick up a first down or need a big play. F4E had some great gifs of these catches and how they are nearly impossible to stop. The connection between him and Rodgers is insane and that is shown how their stats between them are better than any other QB-WR combo.

As for the actual discussion, I'm leaning towards the Cowboys since Murray has been a beast and Romo has played outside of week 1. If Lacy wasn't struggling, the Packers would definitely be up there. It's funny how Rodgers looks "off" even though he has been the most efficient QB so far and his only interception was a well thrown ball that went right off Nelson's hands. I don't see how going 12-17 for 156yds and 3 TDs is average, especially considering it was basically in just a half since the game was sealed before halftime.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010