Sign in to follow this  
AL_Royalty

Cutler called out

Former NFL coach Brian Billick had some unflattering remarks to describe Jay Cutler on Thursday mornings Mike & Mike on ESPN.

Im gonna say two terrible words when it comes to Jay Cutler, and I hate to compare him, but Im seeing more and more Jeff George, Billick said. When you go back and look at their numbers obviously Cutler hasnt played quite as long as Jeff George but when you look at the active years Jeff George was a starter the numbers, not only the numbers in terms of touchdown-to-interception, which is almost 1-to-1. You cant play that way in this league. Youve got to be 2-to-1. And the wins, or lack of wins, to go with it.

You cannot turn the ball over this way and be thought of as a really great quarterback and think that your team can win like that.

Later in the interview, Billick said The good (QBs) at the end of the day have more good plays than bad. They dont cost their team that way on a consistent basis, and thats the concern right now with Jay Cutler.

:clap: It's a friggin PERFECT comparison, and it's about time. It's so good to see that FINALLY one off these tv flapping heads stops kissing Jay Cutler's ass and calls it like it is. People need to stop making excuses for this guy. I love it. :clap:

• Upvote 1

But he has the diabetes!

But he has the diabetes!

I maintain that his diabetes absolutely affects his play, at times. There's no way it doesn't.

• Upvote 1

Diabetes is a condition where the body cells cannot effectively make use of the glucose in the blood to produce energy or storage. This is due to the lack of insulin (Type I) or Insulin Resistance (Type II). In another words, the inability of the body to make good use of the glucose to turn it into energy will greatly reduce your body ability to perform continuous physical activity such as running.

I was sort of agreeing with you on how I felt about it too BWare, but I went a little further and read a few different things from some sports medicine websites and such to find out how or if at all it effects athletes.

In a sport like sprinting, or a marathon, it can have a great impact. But a sport like football, it shouldn't impact your level of performance at all really, especially at the quarterback position. While I suppose there's always a chance that any player at any position gets to that point of energy use, I doubt that Jay Cutler does. Football is definitely a physical and tiring sport, but I'm not buying (after reading several different articles about it) that the diabetes has any effect on a quarterbacks level of play. No way. There's just no way a quarterback would get that run down, unless they were in a no-huddle offense where they were called on to run the football 75-100% of the time. There's just no way. So many breaks.

I was sort of agreeing with you on how I felt about it too BWare, but I went a little further and read a few different things from some sports medicine websites and such to find out how or if at all it effects athletes.

In a sport like sprinting, or a marathon, it can have a great impact. But a sport like football, it shouldn't impact your level of performance at all really, especially at the quarterback position. While I suppose there's always a chance that any player at any position gets to that point of energy use, I doubt that Jay Cutler does. Football is definitely a physical and tiring sport, but I'm not buying (after reading several different articles about it) that the diabetes has any effect on a quarterbacks level of play. No way. There's just no way a quarterback would get that run down, unless they were in a no-huddle offense where they were called on to run the football 75-100% of the time. There's just no way. So many breaks.

It has nothing to do with no breaks. Diabetes, particularly Type I, affects everything from balance to eyesight, not to mention just feeling really shitty, in general. I see it first hand at work on a day-to-day basis. There's no way, whatsoever, that Jay Cutler plays without diabetes affecting him, at times, probably in each game. It's crazy how much it affects. The individual I see first hand loses his hand-eye coordination and everything. Then, if your blood sugar level is too high, you're jittery and shaking.

There is no way in hell that diabetes doesn't affect Cutler.

Oh come on man. Eat a Snickers and stop throwing picks. You get a little Jeff George when you're hungry. pls. Not buying it.

I normally agree with you, but this makes you look uneducated on the topic. Apparently a lot of other folks are, too.

If you don't understand diabetes, don't make such rash judgments about it.

• Upvote 1

Am I real Campin? TELL ME MASTER OF REALITY!

• Upvote 1

Bware you are confusing an inability to control a disease with his inability to play QB. He has stated multiple times that even with the diabetes, he is able to play to 100% of his ability. It just so happens that 100% of his ability really isn't all that impressive. His footwork, his vision, his decision making, his accuracy (although greatly improve so far this season). Pretty shoddy, and that isn't because he has to take insulin and monitor food intake more closely than the rest of us.

tumblr_nd73h2gfxi1rge9rdo1_500.jpg

Bware you are confusing an inability to control a disease with his inability to play QB. He has stated multiple times that even with the diabetes, he is able to play to 100% of his ability. It just so happens that 100% of his ability really isn't all that impressive. His footwork, his vision, his decision making, his accuracy (although greatly improve so far this season). Pretty shoddy, and that isn't because he has to take insulin and monitor food intake more closely than the rest of us.

tumblr_nd73h2gfxi1rge9rdo1_500.jpg

I am not. It's a disease I know a lot about, and see first hand on a day by day basis. With the excessive physical requirements that professional football calls for, there's no way, whatsoever, that Jay Cutler plays without diabetes affecting how he feels, and therefore how he plays.

Of course he says it doesn't affect him. Any player would. There's never going to be a player with any kind of disease who says, "Oh yeah, this is why I have bad moments, sometimes."

I'm not saying Cutler's diabetes cause all of his troubles, by any means, but I positively guarantee that the disease is partially responsible for bad things that happen to him. Not all of them, mind you--every QB is capable of bad decisions, but there is no way that it never affects him.

Bware you are confusing an inability to control a disease with his inability to play QB. He has stated multiple times that even with the diabetes, he is able to play to 100% of his ability. It just so happens that 100% of his ability really isn't all that impressive.

1391019611334.gif

Bware, I am sorry if this seems like I am talking down to you or if this comes across conceited at all... But I just don't feel like you seem all that educated on the topic. I, too, have a lot of family ties to diabetes... I've donated to JDRF countless times and gone on walks for a cure. By no means does that make me an expert, but I do try to stay educated on the topic.

My cousin has had type 1 since she was 6, is now in high school... Plays multiple sports and is in a variety of other activities and is perfectly normal. Yes, the routine can be difficult and it takes time to get used, regulate, and master... But it can be done, especially given time. Jay has known about having this disease for what... 7 years now, I believe (don't quote me on that)? That time, plus the fact that he has some of the best health care and physicians in the WORLD taking care of him, and I guarantee you he has it under control.

This stuff you probably already know, but for others in the community... Diabetes is all about balance. You need to not only watch what you consume, but when you consume and how much of it you consume... You need to keep those sugars as level as you possibly can. Both high blood sugar and low blood sugar can effect you in VERY SERIOUS yet very different ways. Again, I know and understand that that is not always an easy task... But people with the disease learn to master the balancing act.

This is why I had to come to the conclusion that you were generally uneducated about the disease. It seemed like you were basing Jay Cutler's play at QB and anyone else with diabetes to one person who (seemingly) can't control their own fight with the disease. If that is wrong, I apologize, but definitely seemed like the connection you were making -- whether it was inadvertent or not, I will not gander.

You real life scenario, for example. Your co-worker or whomever you were referring to.... Loss of eyesight? HIGH blood sugar. Loss of balance or general cruddy feeling? LOW blood sugar. It honestly sounds like this person doesn't know how to properly regulate or treat their diabetes, and I fear for them. I won't pass judgment because I know nothing about them, but seriously consider getting them the proper medical help to get their diabetes under control.

Again, it's all about the balance... I don't rule out the possibility that Cutler has experienced some of those side effects during a game, but I guarantee you he takes care of it right away and monitors his sugars on the regular. You're right to say that even if it really factored into his play, he probably wouldn't say. But he has also become quite the poster boy for diabetes in pro sports, and I feel like he would be (generally speaking), rather up front with his challenges and battle with the disease.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Cutler throws pics because he throws picks. its not diabeetus. Cutler has shown me since his time here that he throws one of the prettiest deep balls I have ever seen and that while streaky his passing game on short to intermediate throws have improved immensely dude is tougher than shit too but he is complete mental midget still and is still makes complete bonehead mistakes.

Sorry Bware gotta take the L on this one. If diabetes affected his play at all or nearly as much as you think it does

than he probably should not be playing.

Cutler throws picks because he is a bonehead not because of Sugar lows :yao:

Edited by monstersofthemidway