Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Panthers @ Falcons

By NOEY KUPCHAN

STATS Writer
(AP) -- While most six-win teams have turned their attention to next year, the Carolina Panthers and Atlanta Falcons surprisingly enter Week 17 with everything on the line.

These NFC South rivals are set to go toe-to-toe for the title in the NFL's weakest division, with Sunday's winner advancing to host a playoff game and the loser going home.

"It doesn't matter how you get there - you just have to get in," Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan said. "We have a game at home and for us, if you win, you're in. Obviously this year has shaken out a lot different than any other year I've been a part of in our division. But even saying that, it doesn't matter. We are where we are, and we're excited about our chances."

The Falcons (6-9) remained alive in the race by winning 30-14 at New Orleans last Sunday, their first victory in three weeks. They sit one-half game behind the Panthers (6-8-1) and need to win Sunday to clinch the division, while Carolina would clinch with a win or tie.

The Panthers had taken three straight in the series before falling 19-17 in Week 11. Carolina won 21-20 on Dec. 29 to snap a five-game skid in Atlanta and clinch the 2013 division title.

The last team to make the playoffs with a losing record was Seattle (7-9) in 2010.

"We're in a great position," Panthers coach Ron Rivera said. "We have a chance to do something that's never happened in the NFC South and that's (win) back-to-back division titles."

The Panthers went 11-1 down the stretch last season, and they appear to be coming together at just the right time again. Carolina gave up an average of 29.0 points during a six-game losing streak before winning all three games this month, a stretch in which it outscored opponents 77-40.

The Panthers are 14-3 in December since Rivera took over in 2011, the second-best record in the NFL during that time behind New England (15-2).

"There was a two-month stretch where we didn't win. But you have 16 games, and every team's road is different. Our road has been difficult," All-Pro linebacker Luke Kuechly told the team's official website. "We just had to tweak a couple things and by the time December rolled around, we were a team that was ready to roll. We got hot at the right time. We just have to keep rolling now."

Carolina's recent success is due in part to a healthy Cam Newton, who is starting to regain his form after dealing with ankle and rib injuries earlier this year. The two-time Pro Bowler missed the opener and also sat out a Week 15 victory over Tampa Bay just days after an automobile wreck left him with two fractures in his lower back, but he returned for last Sunday's 17-13 win over Cleveland.

Newton threw for 201 yards with a touchdown and an interception, adding 12 carries for 63 yards and another score. He has two rushing TDs in his last two games, matching his total from his first 11.

Jonathan Stewart has also provided a huge boost with an NFL-leading 437 rushing yards over the last four weeks. He missed three games earlier this year with a knee issue, but the oft-injured back figures to carry the load again with DeAngelo Williams dealing with a broken right hand.

"Stew is hitting the holes, making the right reads and the offensive line is blocking their (butts) off too," fullback Mike Tolbert said. "He's a guy that has had opportunities during his career, but has had some ups and downs with injuries. Now he is getting his chance to shine and making the most of it."

The Falcons also have plenty to be excited about after getting Julio Jones back last week after a one-game absence due to a hip injury. Jones had seven catches for 107 yards against the Saints, giving him 28 receptions for 555 yards over a three-game stretch.

Jones has racked up 1,535 receiving yards, second in the league, and ranks third with a career-best 100 catches.

"Obviously he's been hurting the last couple of weeks and for him to gut it out, I think that speaks volumes about his great toughness but also showcases what a stud he is," Ryan said. "When he's out there he's making plays that a lot of other people aren't capable of making."

Atlanta placed safety William Moore on injured reserve with a shoulder injury, and running back Steven Jackson (quad) is uncertain to be available. The Falcons are averaging 95.7 rushing yards to rank 24th in the NFL, but they're 5-1 when they run it at least 25 times.

Aside from a postseason berth, Atlanta's Mike Smith could be coaching for his job after putting together back-to-back losing records. The Falcons went 4-12 last year after five consecutive winning seasons.

"I know that's a subject that everybody wants to talk about," Smith said. "As I said four or five weeks ago, and I hope this is the last time I have to answer it, I'm going to prepare just like I've done for the seven years that I've been here. My focus is on winning football games and winning the next football game and I'm going to continue to do that until (owner) Arthur Blank tells me differently."

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

Steven Jackson (quad) is inactive for Week 17 against the Panthers.

As expected. Julio Jones (oblique) is active in another non-surprise. Jacquizz Rodgers will get the start for the Falcons at running back, playing on passing downs and in high-pressure situations. Devonta Freeman is the better bet for early-down carries.
Also inactive for the Falcons are QB Sean Renfree, C Charles Godfrey, CB Ricardo Allen, LB Tyler Starr, OT Jonathan Scott, and DE Stansly Maponga.

DeAngelo Williams (hand) is inactive for Week 17 against the Falcons.

Williams was listed as probable, so he's essentially a healthy scratch. He's coming off a broken hand, but the Panthers expressed some concern over his ability to pick up the blitz. Jonathan Stewart will carry the load once again for Carolina.
Also inactive for the Panthers are CB James Dockery, S Robert Lester, LB A.J. Klein, DT Kyle Love, OT David Foucault, and OG Amini Silatolu.

If the defense plays like that, there is no one we can't beat. Bring on the Cards.

Goodbye, Mike Smith.

What a sour end to the Falcons season. To lose when the season is on the line is bad but to lose THAT bad is pathetic. No heart. They need some changes in that organization because that team has a lot of potential.

Lets not forget tho

Congratulations to the Panthers for being the first team to repeat as NFC South Champions

• Upvote 1

First time the Panthers have had back to back playoff seasons in franchise history as well- and they still haven't had back to back winning seasons.

Lmao.

Rivera got so damn lucky the entire NFC South sucked this year and it may end up hurting us more in the long term.