Favre4Ever

Scout Compares Randy Gregory to Dion Jordan

One NFL scout had some not so flattering things to say about a top consensus pick, Randy Gregory.

"He's a hell of an athlete. He just doesn't make plays. He's similar to Dion Jordan from a couple of years ago," the scout said. "... He does flash. You'll see him make a play and go 'wow' and then he won't do anything else the rest of the game. To me he's still a work in progress."

I haven't yet began watching film on guys yet -- that will come in the next week or so. But until then, what are your thoughts? Is this criticism founded?

Just watched his Rutgers & Michigan tape. I think Gregory is an insane athlete, but he lacks a well-defined position. He is incredibly fast and is the quickest guy off the line. If left unblocked he's on the quarterback before he finishes his first read. However, Gregory has a problem getting tangled up. He only has a quality swim move, and it's not even that well-developed. Granted, he had a lot of times where he was double-teamed, but it's because his speed to get around blockers is insane at the college level. I think when he meets pro caliber tackles he'll be devoured. Taylor Lewan had his way with him. If Gregory puts on some weight/muscle and converts to full-time 3-4 OLB I see success. That is, if he stays this fast.

Honestly graded him as a mid-2nd rounder after two games.

• Upvote 1

You know who you remind me of? A guy who's been in the league a couple years and has essentially done nothing.

You know who you remind me of? A guy who's been in the league a couple years and has essentially done nothing.

Haha, oh ya.. This is most definitely a knock. NOT a compliment. lol. You know what that means... Jags have their DE of the future. And by future i mean he MIGHT finish out his rookie contract before busting out and working at a used car dealership.

He finished with 7 sacks in 2014 missing three games, and had 10 the year before, so he's got that over Dion Jordan right off the bat. I see Aldon Smith in him, not Jordan. Jordan was never viewed as an elite pass rusher, just an elite athlete.

What Gregory lacks right now is strength, which hurts when a player is able to get their inside of his pads.

The question with Gregory is, do you see enough right now to suggest he can,

1. Get bigger, stronger - Yes, he's got the frame to add weight

2. Develop a second move, and a counter move - That's a wildcard.

And the answer is an overwhelming yes right now. At least based off tape. Incredibly fluid hips, great first step, and long arms to keep tackles off him. You can't teach those things.

This is based on what I've seen in games. I'll hold off on saying much else till we see his explosive numbers at the combine.

• Upvote 2

Agreed, he fits the Aldon Smith role. My only concern is will he lose his elite speed by bulking up?

IMO Gregory will only be successful with a strong inside lineman helping out. Like Aldon had Justin, Gregory needs a bigger man to take double-teams away from him. Even adding weight won't let him break double-teams.

Edited by Chernobyl426

That's a legit concern to have. Not only that, but if gaining was so easy, everyone in the NFL who's underweight would be able to do it. I guess it all boils down to whether or not you think he can do so while maintaining most of his explosiveness. I think being 6-6, and lanky gives him a better chance of getting bigger and adjusting well to his size.

But with that said, he's an edge rusher who I think can get to the QB in a 2 point or 3 point stance. And even if he doesn't get all that strong, once he learns to not open up his chest to linemen, getting to the QB with some regularity will be easy for him. Unfortunately, right now he's not much more right now.

To get this low for a guy his size is pretty ridiculous:

kiqLUbT.png

Then again, it is all opinion based.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 2

I don't like the comp. My main reason being Gregory has more than just length, speed and athleticism like Dion did. What this scout doesn't bring up is Gregory's shockingly advanced hand use in the trenches. His use of hands is one of his biggest selling points for drafting him. The other points are legit in terms of getting stronger, and only having one move. However I'm of the school that one really good move is better than a handful of mediocre moves. In the end the mission is get to the QB and beat your man one-on-one and if you get that done with one move only and consistently? I'm taking it. Not saying this is Gregory, but if that's the case I'll take that over a guy with a swiss army knife of meh moves.

Like with any player his fit with his new team will be key but given Gregory's awareness in the trenches in terms of how he uses his hands to win I think he's a safer bet than Dion Jordan. I also still think Jordan can produce if put in the right fit on defense (isn't in MIA) as well as not being stuck behind productive vets like he has been in Miami.

I'm still not done watching Gregory but from what I've seen I disagree with this comp a lot. If the scout would of said Dante Fowler Jr? Another edge guy who is a freak athlete but is just raw with limited if any moves and basically no technical prowess? Okay. But not Gregory.

• Upvote 1

Then they'll let him go to SF in 3 years. :smug:

• Upvote 1

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned even a little about Gregory's size now...

I put myself in the group of people who thinks size isn't everything if you're truly a good football player, but 235 pounds?! That's scary man...

Randy Gregory is smaller than Aaron Maybin was :yao:

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes Nebraska DE/OLB Randy Gregory is a better prospect than 2014 No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney.

Cosell has Gregory pegged as a "definite" top-10 pick, calling him a better athlete, more flexible, and more explosive than Clowney. If you recall, Clowney was billed by some as a once-in-a-decade talent coming out of South Carolina before knee issues wrecked his rookie season. Gregory is tall and slender at 6'5/235, built like a basketball player with the ability to add some weight and strength. He's drawn Jason Taylor and Leonard Little comparisons.

Gregory sucks :badass:

:(