Sign in to follow this  
Sarge

Steelers Acquire CB Brandon Boykin from Eagles for 5th Round Pick

The Eagles traded cornerback Brandon Boykin to the Pittsburgh Steelers on Saturday night, getting a conditional 5th round pick in the 2016 NFL Draft in return.

Boykin was drafted by the Eagles in the 4th round of the 2012 NFL Draft, and has seven career interceptions in 48 games.

A divorce between the Eagles and Boykin was a longtime coming, as the cornerback has been very vocal in his displeasure with not being given a chance to start on the outside.

New cornerbacks coach Cory Undlin said earlier this summer that Boykin was going to get a chance to play on the outside, but defensive coordinator Billy Davis made it clear that Boykin wasn't good enough last season to earn that chance.

The chances were very small that Boykin, who is a free agent next offseason, was going to re-sign with the Eagles, which likely explains why the team decided to move on without him.

The trade could also signal that the Eagles are confident that rookie cornerbacks Eric Rowe and JaCorey Shepherd are ready to play now, as one of them will now be counted on to play in the slot, the role held by Boykin the past three seasons.

The Eagles depth chart at cornerback now features Byron Maxwell, Nolan Carroll, EJ Biggers, Randall Evans, Rowe and Shepherd.

The 5th rounder could become a 4th rounder, but the Steelers could really use a guy like Boykin. I'm excited about this.

Hell of a pick up for the Steelers. I'll be rooting for Brandon this year because it's good for the Eagles first off but it would be cool to see him get a shot on the outside.

Immediate upgrade for that passing D. he's gonna take over the slot.

They just traded their best CB for a 5th...yikes. Well done Steelers.

Considering that Boykin wasn't being given a real chance to start on the outside (since word is Chip wants tall guys with long arms) and this was Boykins last year in his rookie deal, I'm not mad with this trade. Boykin wasn't going to resign with us due to his desires wanting to start (rightfully justified), best to get value for him now. Getting a conditional 5th founder that can turn into a 4th depending on how much Boykin plays. Considering how horrible Pittsburgh's secondary was last year, I expect Boykin getting a lot to time. I actually expect him to possibly start. Didn't the Steelers bench Cortez Allen after a big deal?

In 2013, Boykin had an elite year. Last year, not so much. So one great year and one "okay" campaign. I do like Boykin but better to get something for him now seeing as though it was his last year in Philly. The Eagles got some corners in the draft they want to mold for long term; Jacorey Shepard, Eric Rowe, Randall Evans, and still Jaylen Watkins from last years draft. More draft picks to build for the bear future because it's not like we are apparent contenders for a super bowl this year. Steelers fans should like this move.

The Eagles CB depth chart is so amusing... lol. If you thought that secondary got shredded last year, just wait until this season starts.

JaCorey Shepherd time?

tumblr_n19fci0oLT1sxoa96o4_400.gif

The fifth-round pick the Eagles acquired for CB Brandon Boykin will upgrade to a fourth-rounder if Boykin plays 60 percent of the Steelers' defensive snaps this season.

Boykin only played 43 percent of Philly's snaps in 2014, and 51 percent the year before. He is expected to be a starter in Pittsburgh, however, and should easily clear 60 percent if he simply stays healthy. A fourth-round draft pick for a undersized cornerback entering his contract year is a relatively steep price to pay. Very clearly, the Steelers badly wanted Boykin.

Edited by Vin

A fourth round draft pick for a one year rental. Not bad when you think about it. I really can't wait to see how he fares being a full time starter on the outside. I've been waiting to see that for 2 years now.

JaCorey Shepherd time?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10565/jacorey-shepherd

Eagles sixth-round CB JaCorey Shepherd tore his right ACL during Sunday's practice and is out for the season.

The Eagles surely regret trading away Brandon Boykin as Shepherd was the leading candidate to replace him in the slot. Options for DC Billy Davis now include going with Jaylen Watkins or E.J. Biggers, or using one of his starters (Byron Maxwell, Nolan Carroll) inside in sub packages. That would result in second-round rookie Eric Rowe on the outside. Regardless, the depth of this secondary has already taken a pair of hits this month with the loss of Boykin and Shepherd. We're not sold it will be a significantly improved unit from last year's Bradley Fletcher/Nate Allen-induced dumpster fire.

Oops...

I'm actually happy that a player tore his ACL just because it makes Chip look bad.

What is wrong with me.

Bad Vin. :pls:

Vin be drinking on that Cowboys kool aid on the low. I'll never forget last year's TGP radio when Vin gushed over how he secretly wants the Cowboys to succeed. :no: