Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Patriots @ Denver

(AP) -- Peyton Manning's injured foot will prevent the renewal of the greatest quarterback rivalry of this era.

Perhaps for good.

It will instead be Tom Brady versus Brock Osweiler when the unbeaten New England Patriots visit the Denver Broncos on Sunday night with the possibility of claiming another AFC East title.

The Broncos have ruled Manning out for the next two games as the aging quarterback deals with a partially torn plantar fascia in his left foot. The lingering injury has attributed to the worst season of the five-time NFL MVP's career and triggered speculation that he's contemplating retirement as he approaches his 40th birthday.

Denver (8-2) has survived Manning's league-high 17 interceptions and 67.6 passer rating to hold a three-game lead atop the AFC West, in large part due to its strong defense and most recently Osweiler's readiness to step in when needed.

Osweiler proved capable in his first career start, throwing two touchdowns and engineering the offense's first turnover-free performance of the season in last week's 17-15 win at Chicago. The 2012 second-round pick completed 20 of 27 passes for 250 yards to help the Broncos halt a two-game skid marred by six Manning interceptions.

"He did a really good job," Broncos coach Gary Kubiak said. "We didn't protect him very good in the first half, had to take his lumps in a couple situations but kept his composure (and) would come back to make the next play. He did a heck of a job."

Osweiler credited his efficient effort to the four seasons he spent learning behind the NFL's career leader in passing yards and touchdown passes.

"I don't know if anybody believed me, but I really was telling the truth - I have not wasted a single day sitting behind Peyton," he said. "I fully recognize that he might be the greatest quarterback to ever play, if not one of the greatest. I wasn't going to let one of those days go by where I didn't learn something. I've been very appreciative for my situation."

Osweiler was aided by a running game that churned out 170 yards, 102 from Ronnie Hillman. Such production may be hard to come by, however, against a New England defense that's held opponents to 63.0 per game and 2.9 per carry over the last five wins.

Buffalo's LeSean McCoy did rush for 82 yards and a touchdown on Monday, though the Patriots limited the Bills to 3 for 15 on third downs to hold on for a 20-13 victory and move to 10-0.

New England now owns a five-game lead on Buffalo and New York and can clinch a seventh consecutive division crown with a win and a Jets' loss to Miami on Sunday, or if both the Jets and Bills lose.

Brady, 11-5 all-time against Manning including a split of four postseason matchups, continues to excel in his 16th season, though the 38-year-old didn't have one of his best showings on Monday. He completed a season-low 51.3 percent of his attempts (20 of 39) and was intercepted once while working with a receiving corps beset by several injuries.

Already without top target Julian Edelman due to a broken foot, the Patriots lost Danny Amendola (knee) and Aaron Dobson (ankle) during the game and neither is expected to play this week. Passing-down back Dion Lewis suffered a season-ending torn ACL in Week 9.

"Yeah, we've lost a lot of guys, and we've lost quite a few guys over the last three weeks," Brady said. "So I think we'll just keep fighting and figuring out a way to win, and it's good to win against a good defense. Any way you can get these wins, I think it's a positive."

Brady also was often under heavy duress from Buffalo, facing pressure on 45 percent of his dropbacks. That could be the case again this week, as Denver leads the NFL with 34 sacks and has yielded league lows of eight touchdown passes and 190.6 passing yards per game.

"We've got to block better. We've got to get open. We've got to run better," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "We've got to do everything better. It just wasn't the kind of production or offensive performance we were looking for."

Brady will still have tight end Rob Gronkowski (51 catches, 843 yards, 8 TDs) at his disposal, while running back James White provided a lift with a touchdown catch along with a rushing score against Buffalo.

Denver may have its receiver group at full strength with wideout Emmanuel Sanders expected to return after missing last week with an ankle sprain.

The Patriots make their first trip to Denver since a 26-16 loss in the 2013 AFC Championship. New England rolled to a 43-21 home win over the Broncos last November behind four Brady touchdown passes.

My only hope is that this game is as good as everyone expected it would be to start the season.

Emmanuel Sanders (ankle) is active for Week 12 against the Patriots.

Sanders was listed as probable, so his status was never in doubt. He's more of a WR3 this week.
The Broncos inactives are QB Peyton Manning, OLB DeMarcus Ware, QB Christian Ponder, KR Jordan Norwood, CB Lorenzo Doss, TE Richard Gordon, and RG Sam Brenner.

Patriots WR Keshawn Martin (hamstring) is active for Week 12 against the Broncos.

Martin will return after missing the last five games. With Danny Amendola sidelined, he'll start opposite Brandon LaFell. Martin isn't more than a WR4 against the Broncos secondary.
The Patriots inactives are WR Julian Edelman, DL Trey Flowers, LB Jamie Collins, CB Justin Coleman, S Jordan Richards, and TE Michael Williams.

Shitty Chris Harper and awful officiating changed the game. In the end, this loss doesn't mean much. Gronk's health is the biggest concern by far.

I think it needs to be said that I'm a very sad cunt about this loss.

Pls cut that POS Harper.

I expected a L, so whatever. We'd beat them with a healthy Edelman and Amendola and Collins.

Edited by BradyFan81
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Man we'd beat them if we had an offensive line. No sense making excuses, but the refs did fuck you over, and taking Gronk out of the game saved us in that overtime. From what I'm hearing I think Gronk will be fine, which means we might be facing off again in the second season. For the first time in a long time, I'm looking forward to it.

We're on our 4th starter at left tackle, and were down to backups across the entire line by half-time. On D we were short DWare, and lost TJ Ward and Sly Williams (who has been the anchor of our front 7).

We got lucky though, sure. Lost two fumbles that we recovered, and the officiating definitely went our way. We got some calls that if they went against us I would be furious about. Well, to be perfectly honest just the defensive holding in the endzone. Gronk makes a living off of that chicken-wing push off and I was thrilled to see him get called for it. We were due. It had been almost 6 quarters since the last penalty called on an opponent of ours.

I was pissed when we drafted Brock Osweiler in the 2nd round all those years ago. Hated the pick, thought there were so many better QBs in the draft. I love the kid now. He's a leader, he's confident, and the game isn't too big for him. He needs to play way better, but it's a work in progress. He can run the bootleg correctly and the qb sneak. I'll be devastated in 2 weeks when we go back to Manning. :sigh:

If. I'm sure nearly every player in the locker room saw that game and thought "no way can we go back to Peyton" after that game. The offense was explosive, the run game was rejuvenated because the passing game was a legitimate threat, and I mean we're still working out the kinks, but even so we took down the Patriots. If we go back, the season is over and we potentially ruin this kid's career. It cannot be done.

Look what happens when you unshackle dead weight. Broncos are scary. Peyton may just get another ring after all...

Edited by Favre4Ever

So the refs fucked over the Patriots by calling legitimate penalties that the Patriots have been getting away with for years? Riiiiight.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Downvote 4

backup QB has played a few good games, fuck the starter let's stick with the backup, that always works out, right?

The starter has been shit, though, and he isn't physically capable of out playing Osweiler on a consistent basis.

The starter has been shit, though, and he isn't physically capable of out playing Osweiler on a consistent basis.

true, Manning has been terrible, but two games isn't enough of a sample for me to say Osweiler is definitely a better option

They're pretty much a lock for the playoffs. I say let him prove that he isn't before going back to Manning. Manning shouldn't play for another few weeks anyway--they might as well let that plantar fascia injury heal as much as possible.

They're pretty much a lock for the playoffs. I say let him prove that he isn't before going back to Manning. Manning shouldn't play for another few weeks anyway--they might as well let that plantar fascia injury heal as much as possible.

That's fair, certainly no reason to rush Manning back at this point, but as soon as he's healthy I'd put him back in

If the officiating from last night was against your Vikings, Cowboys, Ravens or any of your other 4 favorite teams, we'd never hear the end of it.

Razor even acknowledged the refs fucked the Pats over. We get it, you hate the Patriots, Bware. But that doesn't mean they never get shitty calls made against them. Not too hard to understand is it, Kellen?

When was the last time I went on a ref tirade that lasted any amount of time? 3 years ago?

Accept the loss that your team earned by fumbling the ball twice and committing illegal acts that one officiating crew out of how many had the balls to call against you.

Your team has been setting illegal picks for years. Your offensive line has been getting away with holds for years. You have a bunch of accumulated non calls that WILL at some point start to bitch slap your team into nothingness.

I yearn for the end of the Belichick/Brady era so the Patriots can fall into a decade long dumpster fire and we can all dance around it celebrating the end of this reign of tyranny and cheating and classlessness.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Downvote 4

But the Brady/Belichick era might go on for another 7-8 years

Brady's certainly not showing any indications of a decline, but do you really think he can be a top tier QB until he's 45?

true, Manning has been terrible, but two games isn't enough of a sample for me to say Osweiler is definitely a better option

I would hope several games from Manning would tell you that Peyton's play has been unacceptable for a team who can contend for a super bowl. Unless Osweiler plays worse than that or gets injured down the stretch, there isn't a reason to ever go back. To say that Peyton deserves his job back after getting healthy is absurd. Peyton's contemporaries right now are Ryan Mallett (cut), Nick Foles (benched, only returned due to injury), Matt Cassel (second/third string), and Colin Kaepernick (benched). If all those players should not be starting, why should Peyton be?

BROCK THE ROCK

THE WIZARD OF OS

THE NERD CANNON

PAPA JOHN'S SON

$5 HOT & READY

lSkHB4J.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ya there is literally no reason for Peyton to even start a game again. Not only has his play dictated that he never comes back, but do we honestly think he's going to get better as we hit the depths of winter? This is the time last year that he went from potential mvp to wasting a roster spot. His career is over. Secondly I don't know how you can convince the team that that would give them the best chance to win. While Peyton stuff led they did a great job of defending him and standing by him, but surely they must notice that they are better off with Brock.

This isn't one of those typical " the backup is the most popular guy on the team " situations either, imo.

First off, has Manning really been that bad? I haven't watched him much personally and there's so much Peyton hate on this board I don't really know how much to take seriously

Now back to Brock, what I was initially getting at (and failed pretty hard) was that sure he's played a couple good games, but should we really expect that to continue? How many backups have we seen succeed in spot duty only to fail once teams get them on tape? It'll be great if he does, more good young qbs means more good football in the future, but I'm not going to get my expectations too high this early

Yes, he's been THAT bad. He's arguably the worst qualifying QB this season.He has 1:2 TD:INT ratio for goodness sakes. Ha. ANd Brock isn't exactly setting the league on fire, but he doesn't have to. As long as he isn't worse than the worst guy in the league, he should be the choice to lead the team.

I don't like Peyton.. but it will be incredibly sad if he tries coming back and playing next year. Pathetic, even. He still has a chance of riding off into the sunset -- but it will be on the bench watching Brock Osweiler win him another SB ring.

And how would that conversation go when discussing Peyton's legacy...?

He's got multiple rings.... but both were given to him as his team carried HIM and one was while he was on the bench.

Speaking in the grand scheme of things / legacy-wise , Peyton stock has to be taking a dive. He's broken most of Brett Favre's records this year and last and it honestly doesn't seem like anyone really cares. Maybe I am a bit jaded because I was a Packers fan and paid more attention to the attention given Brett when he took over practically all of Marino's records.... But it just doesn't seem like there has been as much hype or attention given to Manning as he passes Brett. He's being forgotten already and he hasn't officially gone anywhere.

• Upvote 1