Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Giants @ Vikings

(AP) -- Already in need of a number of things to go in their favor to reach the playoffs, playing without their top playmaker certainly isn't ideal for the New York Giants.

Having to face the red-hot Teddy Bridgewater with a vulnerable pass defense also doesn't help matters.

Odell Beckham Jr. will serve his one-game suspension Sunday night when the Giants visit a Minnesota Vikings team looking to clinch a playoff berth.

The NFL suspended Beckham on Monday for his conduct in last Sunday's 38-35 loss to Carolina and the ban was upheld Wednesday after hearing officer James Thrash listened to an appeal by the dynamic wide receiver. Beckham earned the suspension after drawing three personal foul penalties, including one for a diving helmet-to-helmet hit on Panthers cornerback Josh Norman.

"I owe some people an apology. I wasn't raised to act like I did the other day," Beckham said in a statement issued by the Giants (6-8).

"I am not here to make excuses for my conduct. This isn't about anything that was said or done to me. This is about my behavior, and I am responsible for my behavior. People expect better from me, and I expect better from myself."

New York expects to be in a difficult position without Beckham, who has 91 catches for 1,396 yards and 13 touchdowns, tied for the league lead. His seven TD receptions of at least 20 yards are tied for second-most in the NFL.

"We got to go forward. Period," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said. "Obviously you would like to have that player with you."

New York could especially use Beckham with its playoff hopes dwindling.

The Giants must win out and have Washington lose or tie its final two games in order to win the NFC East. They could be eliminated as early as Saturday night if the Redskins beat Philadelphia.

The Vikings (9-5) can also secure a playoff berth before taking the field, if either Seattle wins or Atlanta loses. They can also make the playoffs with a win, and can clinch their first NFC North crown since 2009 with a victory over the Giants and a win next Sunday at Green Bay.

"We just have to understand the situation," Bridgewater said. "It's the time of the year where teams are playing their best football, and I'm glad that we're on the upside of that right now and have momentum heading into this next game. It's good to get things going in December, especially with the chance to make a playoff run. The guys understand the situation, they've embraced the challenge from coach (Mike) Zimmer, and we know how important these next two games are."

Bridgewater has stepped up his play in the last two games, throwing a career-best 335 yards in a loss at Arizona on Dec. 10 and posting a career-high 154.4 passer rating in last Sunday's 38-17 win over Chicago. Against the Bears, Bridgewater had more touchdown passes (four) than incompletions (three) and became the second quarterback in NFL history to complete at least 85 percent of his passes while throwing four TD passes without an interception and running for a score in a single game.

"These last two weeks, I've seen a different look in his eyes," teammate Adrian Peterson said. "I really don't have to say much to him."

The second-year quarterback has a favorable matchup going up against a Giants team that is last in the league in pass defense, allowing 308.4 yards per game. Cam Newton threw five TDs last Sunday and New York hasn't picked off a pass in the last four weeks as opponents have a 105.8 passer rating in that span.

"We just have to continue to execute with the same intensity and have the same mindset going into this game," Bridgewater said.

Although Bridgewater is getting more comfortable in the offense, the Vikings are still a run-first team.

Peterson, Minnesota's lone Pro Bowl pick, has a nine-yard lead on Tampa Bay's Doug Martin for the NFL rushing title and is confident he'll play after being forced out for part of last week's game with a sprained left ankle. Peterson was hurt in the second quarter and only rushed six times after halftime but said he'll be fine.

He faces a Giants defense that allowed 171 rushing yards to the Panthers and is yielding 5.9 yards per attempt over the last two weeks.

The Minnesota defense could have safety Harrison Smith (knee/hamstring), linebacker Anthony Barr (knee) and defensive tackle Linval Joseph (foot) back. They've each essentially missed the last three games and Joseph played four seasons with the Giants and won a Super Bowl with them.

The Vikings may see the Giants keep the ball on the ground a bit more with Beckham being suspended and Rashad Jennings coming off a season-high 107 rushing yards on 16 attempts.

However, Eli Manning had his second straight four-touchdown game last week and Minnesota has allowed its last three opponents to throw seven TDs and record a 115.2 passer rating. Manning has already set a career high with 32 touchdown passes, besting the 31 he threw in 2010.

The Giants have won the last two meetings with the Vikings, who are looking to reverse their trend of poor play in night games.

Minnesota is 3-18 in night games since 2009 and has lost five straight Sunday night contests.

Dwayne Harris (shoulder) is active for Week 16 against the Vikings.

With Odell Beckham suspended, Harris will take on a bigger slot role. Inactive for the Giants are WR Geremy Davis, CB Jayron Hosley, S Cooper Taylor, LB Devon Kennard, OG Adam Gettis, OT Emmett Cleary, and DE Stansly Maponga.

Adrian Peterson (ankle) is active for Week 16 against the Giants.

Peterson only got in one practice this week, but his status wasn't in doubt after being listed as probable. The Vikings inactives are QB Taylor Heinicke, WR Charles Johnson, CB Josh Robinson, LB Brandon Watts, C Nick Easton, OT Jeremiah Sirles, and DE Zack Moore.

If you were a Vikings fan, what would you prefer?

Win next week and host either GB or Seattle in the first round.

Lose next week and assume Arizona will play for the 1 seed and beat Seattle, and you go to Washington.

Lose next week and assume Arizona will play for the 1 seed and beat Seattle, and you go to Washington.

I'm not sure. On one hand we have the bragging rights of winning the division (which should be important), but on the other hand we have an easier path to the divisional round and a shot to make a(n unlikely) run at the NFC Championship/Super Bowl. If we play well enough to beat GB next week, we should play well enough to beat Seattle. I'm not saying we will do either of those things, but the Vikings can play with most teams if they're firing on all cylinders.

You take the home game, period.

First off, because it means that if you win, you might get GB immediately after and you just beat them. Secondly, because you never want to give up the 3 seed. What if you win, and the other team also upsets their opponent? Suddenly you're looking at a home game for the NFC Championship.

I will say that once again it looks like the Vikings should win the game between GB and Minnesota, and they should win it handily. And yet once again I just can't trust the Vikings to do it.

Honestly if we have to play Minnesota again right afterwards, I will want to lose the NFC N title to them. If we beat them and sweep them in the regular season.. I would not trust us to beat them 3 times. So if we are destined to play three times, I say let the Vikings take the division crown next week in Lambeau. Although, then the Packers are entering the playoffs on a 2 game losing streak and we probably aren't going anywhere.

For what it's worth, we probably aren't going anywhere anyway.

I feel the same. I think the NFC is between Arizona and Carolina.

Seattle isn't winning 3 straight on the road.

Green Bay simply doesn't have the offense necessary, nor the offensive line.

Washington is playing over their heads and doesn't have the defense to compete against the Cards or Panthers.

Minnesota doesn't have a QB that has taken the next step (yet), and I don't see them being able to run AP into eight man fronts.

I'd give a slight edge to the Cards, but they have to come to Charlotte, so maybe that evens it out.

I'd not sleep on the Vikings. While I agree that Carolina and Arizona are looking like the most likely teams now, anything can happen in the playoffs. I don't think the Redskins have the depth to keep up, and merely getting a playoff win would be considered a resounding success, and the Packers just seem off this year. I won't say they have no shot, but I don't like their chances until they can get their offensive woes figured out, and they are almost out of time for that. The Vikings have the running game and the defense built to sustain a good playoff run, and while Bridgewater may not be there yet, the playoffs are a great place to get confidence in your QB. The Seahawks have been there before and while their road is difficult, they can play with the best of them. Getting a steady run game in place is crucial for them though, as good as Wilson is, one man offenses can only do so much.

I'd probably rank the NFC contenders like this:

1. Arizona 45%

2. Carolina 25%

3. Minnesota 15%

4. Seattle 10%

5. Washington 3%

6. Green Bay 2%

If Minnesota makes it they will have to, likely, go through both Carolina and Arizona on the road. Just don't see it.

I think Jerick McKinnon is breaking out. I don't think this is a mirage of the last two weeks. The dude can fly and is powerful, too.

Kyle Rudolph, Stefon Diggs, and Jarius Wright are all balling right now, and Teddy is starting to find Wallace. I also really like the idea of MyCole Pruitt in the playoffs.

If Minnesota can protect Teddy at least somewhat decently, anything is possible, but I wouldn't count on the protection. I fully expect Minnesota's playoff loss to involve allowing at least 5 sacks.

Edited by BwareDWare94