Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Packers cut Josh Sitton

Packers released LG Josh Sitton.

This one is a head-scratcher. Although he's now on the wrong side of 30, Sitton has been a second-team All Pro each of the past three seasons, and hasn't missed a game since 2011. He was Pro Football Focus' No. 5 overall guard last year. The move saves $6.85 million, but if the Pack were interested in saving cash, it's unclear why the move wasn't made in the spring. Sitton won't take long to find a new home.

What the fuck.

Edit: Both he and TJ Lang are FA after this season and this probably signals that they want to keep Lang (who is younger) for the long-term. I am not sure why the Packers couldn't keep Sitton around for that final year, though.

Also, this is how Ted Thompson pissed off Brett Favre so much, by messing with the offensive line and dumping players like Wahle, Rivera, etc etc. Seems like not much has changed. I can't believe that Aaron will be excited by this.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Titans have first waiver spot and a need at LG, just saying ...

Titans have first waiver spot and a need at LG, just saying ...

Would be one hell of a pick up.. Only thing is you have to pick up his 6.5M salary. But honestly, he's worth that and more. :shrug:

fair point, he's definitely worth that but I'm not sure how much cap space we have, well, according to Over The Cap we have over $28M, if that's even close to correct then the cap is not an issue, make it happen Robinson

Edited by oochymp

so, apparently Sitton isn't subject to the waiver process, I don't know enough about the NFL waiver rules but it means he's a free agent and the $6.5M for this year is not a factor

Sitton apparently has a visit scheduled with the Bears, not sure who else is going after him but this could get interesting

I cannot believe this move at all, when I saw the story that we were looking to trade/cut him yesterday though it was just some BS story. We don't have anyone to replace him and the season starts in a week. Tretter or Linsley could play guard while the other is at center, but Linsley has a torn hamstring so who knows when he will be back. The only plausible reason I could see for this move is that Thompson wants to use that freed up space to extend some contracts now instead of letting them test the waters in the offseason.

LIke JD said, cant imagine Aaron or other offensive players being too happy about this move right before the season starts. I'm sure we want to re-sign Lang now but a move like this probably doesn't sit well with him since him and Sitton were pretty close.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010