Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Caron Wentz Thread/Dak Prescott Tread

Idk if there's another thread in general NFL talk but we should be talking smack right here in there in this forum. I'll go ahead ahead and say it. Wentz is like a combination of Fergie and Jesus.

I had a dream last night that Dak threw his first INT against the Packers on the 1 yard line and they returned it for a 99 yard TD.

I was fucked up on medicine, so I'm hoping this wasn't a foreshadow...

There's nothing to really discuss, here. For all intents and purposes, the Cowboys haven't cut Dak loose in any way. They're very much protecting him with safe throws. I think it's a mistake to not give him more of a leash so he can get some mistakes out of the way and learn, but they also don't have a defense good enough to compensate for said mistakes.

Right now, it really isn't all that close between these two players. Carson Wentz has been better with worse players around him on offense at nearly every single position. Dak gets points for playing without Dez for a couple of weeks but other than that the only way he's got Carson right now is that he hasn't thrown an INT. They've both turned the ball over once. We're looking at two really good quarterbacks for the foreseeable future, but currently Carson is allowed to do much more with his arm. I don't doubt that Dak can make more difficult throws than he's had to so far, but he hasn't.

Come back when Dak starts dropping dimes every single week. Carson has had beautiful passes dropped every single damn week this season. If JMatthews, Agholor, and DBG catch the fucking ball in the endzone, Carson already has 10+ TD passes.

As prolific as Wentz's arm has been the most impressive aspect of his game so far has been the mental aspect. A lot of young rookie QB's have come in and made impressive throws and flashed athleticism over the years but this guy just flat out gets it. He's looks more comfortable and poised out there than a lot of veterans already.

Yeah, the difference here is Dak is driving a luxury car and Carson is towing an old beater to the finish line every week.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Yeah it's hard to take anything away from Dak because he's done everything his coaches have asked and more, but I disagree with Dallas opening up the offense more. They have the best offensive line in the league and a RB they took in the top ten in the draft, when you have that, you run the football control the clock and protect the football. They're winning games, there's no need to change it.

• Upvote 1

Right now The Cowboys getting Dak in the fourth round was a fucking steal of a pick and may even turn out to be the best pick of the entire draft. The scary thing is that I don't feel they have unleashed him at all with the play calls. If Dak keeps it up and can stay out of trouble then Dallas may. Have a hella nice triplet set in Dez, Dak and Zeek.

Dak was finally allowed to play a little today and had some amazing throws.

Yeah, but he's still not Wentz level. Until he has to do more than lean on a great running game and faces consistent pressure, it's hard to properly evalutate him. He's good. There's no denying that.

But it's Zeke who should be getting the attention.Great OL or not he is doing everything right and is running roughshod over the NFL.

Interesting opinions about Dak "opening up the offense more" before he can be compared to Wentz when I'm pretty sure Wentz has thrown more screens and short passes then almost any starting QB...

Anyway they'll both regress to the rookie mean with time, assuming Romo doesn’t come back very soon.

But as far as performance is concerned, even before this week I really wouldn't put them that far apart from each other.

This comparison is silly until next year. Everyone knows that once teams/defenses have a full off-season to look at and study a rookie QB's tendencies, shit changes and then the lame phrase 'sophomore' slump sets in.

I'm truly not impressed with either QB at this point in time. They have potential for sure, and I believe Prescott will end up being the better outright QB..but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Philly has a defense that has put Wentz in great situations up until last week, and you saw him struggle.

Dak has an amazing cast around him that even Johnny Manziel could probably succeed in.

There's a lot of work and things to be proven for both guys.

This comparison is silly until next year. Everyone knows that once teams/defenses have a full off-season to look at and study a rookie QB's tendencies, shit changes and then the lame phrase 'sophomore' slump sets in.

I'm truly not impressed with either QB at this point in time. They have potential for sure, and I believe Prescott will end up being the better outright QB..but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Philly has a defense that has put Wentz in great situations up until last week, and you saw him struggle.

Dak has an amazing cast around him that even Johnny Manziel could probably succeed in.

There's a lot of work and things to be proven for both guys.

Wentz ties that game up if Ertz didn't drop that easy TD. I think it says a lot for a QB to get killed all day when he DOES have the ball and still manages to pull the offense together in the 4th quarter and give his team a chance to win. Hell a lot of rookies throw that game away long before the 4th quarter. We saw what Cousins did the moment he had a rush on him. Pick 6. Wentz still looked good yesterday imo. He had some errant passes under pressure, but for the most part he was very poised.

Wentz has been outright better in regards to NFL level throws. This "he's only throwing short passes" narrative is utter bullshit spewed by people who don't know the crazy number of 20+ yard to deep passes that have been dropped on the poor guy. Carson should have at least 11 TD passes already.

Prescott's results look better because he's driving a luxury car. You swap these two QBs and the difference between them is much more obvious.

He's throwing short passes because he's receivers suck, but watch him throw passes down the field. They have zip and accuracy on almost all of them.

Did he even target Agholor yesterday?

I'm still mad that Carson and DGB had a great play taken away from them by a bullshit penalty.

Wentz has been outright better in regards to NFL level throws. This "he's only throwing short passes" narrative is utter bullshit spewed by people who don't know the crazy number of 20+ yard to deep passes that have been dropped on the poor guy. Carson should have at least 11 TD passes already.

Prescott's results look better because he's driving a luxury car. You swap these two QBs and the difference between them is much more obvious.

It's not bullshit, it's a fact based on stats that are real. Every QB deals with drops, especially when you consider the fact that some QBs have it worse (Stafford, Luck, etc). This is a cop-out.

And while Prescott certainly has a better running game to compliment him, let's also pump the breaks on the "luxury car" compared to "old beater" nonsense. The Eagles have a far better defense, give up sacks at a pretty much equal rate, and on average have started drives with better field position consistently then Dallas. It's hyperbole talk.

If you look at these two defenses and think Philadelphia has a better defense, especially after these past two weeks when Dallas has shut down Cincy and Green Bay while Philadelphia has been a sieve, you're crazy.

Carson is hit much more but, thanks to better pocket awareness, avoided sacks prior to yesterday when the Eagles threw a scarecrow out there at RT.

Those stats you're referring to are not factoring the sheer amount of catchable, long passes that have been dropped. As for the screens...the Eagles have Darren Sproles and Josh Huff. It's a personnel decision.

Edited by BwareDWare94

The Eagles just have really bad corners. I'd say Dallas doesn't have the pass rush Philly does, but overall they're the better defense at this point I think. Rod Marinelli vs. Jim Schwartz is probably a push too.

Corners are absolutely everything in today's NFL, and I didn't think I'd ever say this out loud, buy Mo Claiborne and Brandon Carr are playing better than a lot of corner pairings.

I mean, look at Carolina. If they have real NFL corners, their record is probably flip-flopped.

I would also argue that Dallas' LB corps is significantly better than Philadelphia's. The Eagles have a clear advantage at one safety spot and across the DL (the lone exception for Dallas being DLawrence), but Dallas is better everywhere else.

The Eagles have come down to earth because instead of CB next to their cornerbacks on their defensive depth chart, it says "LOL."

Edited by BwareDWare94