Sign in to follow this  
Maverick

A couple Cowboys thoughts...

This sub forum is basically dead anyway so I'd give this its own thread. Two thoughts popped in my mind while I was at work this morning...

1) Did anyone see what Jerry Jones said to the NY Daily News last Thursday before the Giants game? http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jerry-jones-tony-romo-play-part-cowboys-super-bowl-run-article-1.2903930

I didn't even know he said this until yesterday. I already knew Skeletor was a buffoon, but making those comments is just plain dumb. "I think Romo is going to get his opportunity," Jones said. "I don't want it to happen. But I think he may get his opportunity to get us a Super Bowl." WTF is that supposed to mean? How the hell is Dak supposed to take those comments? Now, I give all the credit in the world to the Giants defense. They played a hell of a game. Our offense looked shitty because they made us very uncomfortable. Having said that, if Dak is anything like me, if you hear your owner make those comments...that's definitely in the back of my mind when I'm playing. Dak didn't look himself. He had the worst game of his short career. A lot of that was due to the Giants, but I wouldn't be surprised if those comments from Jerry had some effect on him.

2) Offense better w/out Dez?

I remember people saying this in the past and I was always quick to debunk it. However, I saw what happened to Matt Stafford after Megatron retired. He didn't try to force the ball to a specific receiver and as a result the passing offense opened up. We saw the same thing with Dak earlier in the year when Dez was injured. That's when our offense was really flying.

The offense wouldn't suffer without Dez if didn't quit on routes and if he was looking for the football.

The offense wouldn't suffer without Dez if didn't quit on routes and if he was looking for the football.

I think you meant to say *with Dez, but yes that's my point. Unfortunately he does that shit. I was complaining about it in another thread. Dez has the tools to be an elite WR, but he goes missing in games far too often.

The problem is I don't think Dez wants to be elite. He just wants to collect his paycheck and have a few good games every now and then to keep himself relevant.

Dez is probably just butthurt that the offense has become more run-based, so his heart isn't in it 100% if he's not seeing the ball come his way on a consistent basis.

With Romo in it was pass-heavy, but that was also before Zeke came into the picture.

He isn't a star anymore, crybaby.

Tell me that next time he puts up 8 catches for 160 yards and 2 TD's. It is possible he needs to be 100% healthy too idk.

Greg Cossell did a film analysis of Prescott (can't find the link now...) and concluded that Dak has been missing a lot of open receivers over the last 4-5 games, and only in the last two weeks have you seen it limit the Cowboys offense in a big way.

Cowboys aren't going to make much noise in the playoffs this year I don't think but that's ok because you have a core of guys who you can keep around for the next 10 years now. Realistically them and Oakland are probably in the same mode. Lots of talent but in need of more experience.

I don't see why Dallas can't do damage, though. Their style of play is sustainable and easy to replicate week in and week out. You come to work, you work. It's really quite simple. Now, they do need to find ways to get pass pressure. That much is for certain.