Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Trump Regime thread.

Why stop at the Vikings

I'd make fun of your team, but I'm not sure which one it is this week.

OHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Get a timeout on the double, Bware.

Why stop at the Vikings

Hey Hey Hey Hey, lets not make this personal lol....dick

Hey Hey Hey Hey, lets not make this personal lol....dick

The Ravens are his 3rd first team (seriously).. I thought the Cowboys would be too easy. Are you excited that you aren't the only Ravens fan on the board?

You guys are bunch of god damn savages lol Vultures all of you.

The Ravens are his 3rd first team (seriously).. I thought the Cowboys would be too easy. Are you excited that you aren't the only Ravens fan on the board?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RduDnkfCdZQ

This is your future breh...I wont tell you when but,

Edited by Omerta

I would just basically be copying Than's post, so I won't do that. BUt I will say that you should know that everyone and the underlying problems or causes for their obesity changes. Not everyone faces the same problems the same way and not everyone gets to the same point in the same manner.

Thinking that the world and every obese person out there is exactly as you were when you were obese is laughable.

The majority of people are not obese due to physical health problems. It's entirely mental in most cases. I'd reckon at least half of obese people are in the same boat I was. Just being lazy.

This is not always the case, Cherry. I agree with your overall sentiment, but there are cases where obesity is an absolute nightmare to try to get out of. Things like PCOS make it very difficult to drop any weight which basically means you can't ever gain it in the first place.

That said, America absolutely has an obesity problem, and we also have a problem of not treating it like a big deal, which it is. The solution is not going to be one that will fit everybody, each individual person is different. It certainly isn't the same in 95% of cases as homosexuality and skin color, it is a choice in the vast majority of cases.

That's my point, though. Most people are not struggling with something like PCOS that makes it difficult to lose weight. 326 million Americans and like 35% are obese. What is that? 115 million? It's largely a cultural thing, and I think that's hard to dispute. That cultural difference is the difference between being 15% like Colombia and being 35% like we currently are.

Sorry to bring down the mood, but back on topic at hand...

Spicer is gone. Not surprising, but he shall be missed for his utter incompetence.

The Republicans have a health care bill. They won't tell anyone whats on it, and will pass it with literally 0 debate on the senate floor. This will presumably decimate coverage all over the US, but we can't know for sure.

Well said DMac :yep:

Edited by seanbrock

Dmac, would you agree that it is possible to empathize with someone while hoping that they will do better for themselves? I still kinda feel like you guys really aren't expecting people to take responsibility for what they do with their own lives. As a culture I believe we have gone past the point of empathy to catering to these people at times.

Obesity is the sum of many factors, agreed, but why can we not ask people to control at least the ones that they are able to? No matter what, eating well and working out will help you lose weight. And beyond that, you will just generally feel better, and healthy lifestyles help reverse the effects of depression and other mental disorders.

Not having time to eat healthy is a poor excuse for a lot of people (but not all). Use a few hours on a day off to meal prep for the whole week. It's also not a lot more expensive to make your own stuff. Buy a dozen eggs, some oatmeal, and a loaf of bread. For most people, that's going to be $10 for many, many breakfasts. How is that expensive? Even the dollar menu is not cheaper than that.

I think you can be empathetic while also expecting people to do what they an to make their situations better.

• Upvote 2

An issue like obesity is far too complex of an issue in America to simply claim that half are the way they are simply because of laziness, or self control, or gluttony.

​What about the people living in food deserts? What about the people who don't have the time to eat healthy, work out because they have to slave away in minimum wage jobs and feed kids and rely on unhealthy foods? What about the simple fact that healthy foods mostly cost more, and for many cheap foods are more accessible then expensive ones?

Maybe to "everyday" people like all of us on TGP, fat shaming, etc, and telling people to just "do better" or whatever works because we are referring to people we see everyday on college campuses or working regular 9 to 5s. But the issue in America (if we are going to talk about this as a possible hindrance to universal healthcare) as a whole is directly tied in many cases to poverty and convenience, as well as lack of education at an early age by schools, and, ironically, not having access to health professionals, especially at an early age who prevents these health issues from snowballing.

​Also, Cherry while I commend you for being able to improve your personal life, and being that its something you went through, you do have personal experience and you may feel like in certain cases it puts you in position to speak on a subject matter. But at a certain point, you've gotta check your privilege at the door.

​As a black person in this country who has made it all the way to being the top of my class in grad school, I have to work three times as hard as everyone else because unlike them, I am the furthest thing from being naturally smart, I am actually pretty freaking dumb, and a massive procrastinator... it'd be incredibly easy for me to turn around and point at the general black population and say, If I can do it, you can too, stop being lazy, or focus on your education and get off the streets, etc. But I steer clear of that because I know that I have been blessed with certain opportunities that they haven't... Having both my parents in my life, for starters.

TL;DR, I know you aren't one for this all the time, but sometimes, a little empathy doesn't hurt...

The food deserts part is a very fair point, but I'd still argue it's incredibly possible to avoid large weight gains without getting adequate veggies and fruits.

It's not necessarily the quality of the food that is the problem in many cases. The weight I personally lost, which was mostly just fat, came off from simply drinking water and restricting my eating habits. It wasn't from working out extensively or eating overwhelming healthy. I'd argue that's a method in which many people can lose weight, especially when they are getting to obesity levels.

We're not necessarily talking about bigger individuals who are working non-stop and eating on the go to provide for a family. I'm personally talking about people who are 350+ pounds without medical conditions to attribute to weight gain. Those individuals are simply not willing to compromise an overconsumption of food for the sake of their health.

Water is one of the easiest ways to lose weight, and it's heavily underutilized. Over 90% of the tap water in the United States is safe to drink, and it may have increased since last checked in 2006. Tap water also only costs $0.004 per gallon, while Soda can costs upwards to $4 or so per gallon. Hell, you can usually get tap water at almost any location you'll go to.

Lol Dmac please don't ever say check your privilege again that shit is making me cringe. The only reason I brought it up was because JD tried to say I was targeting others who are "different" to make myself feel better. I know a lot of people struggle with weight problems, but an incredibly large percentage still only have themselves to blame.

I think that maybe physical fitness and nutrition should be addressed with a certain degree of emphasis. You can't control everyone's decisions but you can help them make the right ones. American's have been programmed for consumerism for many decades and across multiple generations. It's been burned in the nation's hearts and minds. I mean think about how much food Americans throw out. Even the thought of that to so many people in the world is unbelievable.

• Upvote 1

The idea that someone doesn't "have time" to eat healthy is ludicrous. We're all busy.

The idea that someone doesn't "have time" to eat healthy is ludicrous.

It seems equally ludicrous that somebody could just change their NFL allegiance too... But there you are, proof of such a ludicrous idea.

It seems equally ludicrous that somebody could just change their NFL allegiance too... But there you are, proof of such a ludicrous idea.

I got to say as much as I hate to do it, he is right. He is right in the sense that everyone has the ability, it is do they know how in my opinion. As sarge eluded too a meal prep day goes a long way. Everyone has the time if they have an hour or 2 a week to spare. I understand people get busy I used to work 7 12's for about 4 months of the year and will again. I usually spend a few hours of over time a day and a 1.5 hour commute each way. So ono average I am gone about 18 hours a day during those months.

The food I eat may be bland but it is healthy. Seriously I spend about 2 hours cooking about 6 pounds of chicken breast in the oven and on the grill at the same time and it takes less than 40 minutes usually. I grab 7 containers put the chicken in there, grab a stock pot and put green beans in there cook them all and that goes with the chicken. I take a vinaigrette or mustard and put that on it. Then I grab some kale and vinegar and put that in another one, and I grab one of either an apple, pear, or peach and then some almonds and a cheese stick and put them in my lunchbox every morning. Slice up 3 avocados and my lunches and supper is done. After that it takes me about 10 minutes to make my reward for the day for 7 days. I have 7 nutri bullets that I put a combination of peaches, strawberries, blue berries, or mango a scoop of protein powder, with almond milk blended for 70 seconds.It is an outstanding flavor and good for you.

I also take a multivitamin ensuring I get The B's, Niacin, Calcium, Vitamin C, and K a multi vitamin. I mean I get almost all those from my diet but with the hours I work I want to make sure I get more than based on a 2800 calorie diet.

The things I listed come out to around 1000 calories +/- 30. Between all meals and my snack I consume about 2100 calories a day. Sitting on the couch all day everyday you burn about 1600, get a little active and you burn 2000 easy. Walking at a slow pace for 1 hour burns about 600 calories if you are a 6' 260lb male. So with my diet that create your deficit.

All that cooking is done in an hour and and the exercise.

Again I do not want to say go out and make fun of fat people until they either off themselves or get right, what I am saying though is that almost all people if not everyone have the time to eat healthy. the exercise maybe not but even with the diet I have you will maintain weight, if you do almost ANY activity through the day you will create a deficit helping you lose weight. It really comes down more to education and the will to do it than time imo This country has a lot of people who are dependent on food for happiness which is the real problem. You could take any person on this forum who is overweight and if they stick to a regimented diet and workout for a month a person can lose up 20 pounds safely if they are obese.

One more thing I wanted to hit on is all of that stuff is pretty damn cheap. The protein powder is the most expensive by far at about $45. The chicken costs about $3 a pound so about 20 bucks, the kale for the week is about 5, the berries are all frozen and cost about $5 a pack for the three that last all week. The almonds are about $4 a bag which lasts about 2 weeks, the cheese sticks are about $3 so I mean for the week you are looking about $50-$60 a week.

The point is that what sounds ludicrous to you is for sure someone else's reality. Everyone has a unique perspective, experiences, limitations, a certain foundation of knowledge or a general lack therof.

This goes back to Cherry thinking that just because his obesity was solely the result of his own laziness that... obviously every case of obesity is exactly like his and obviously everyone can "fix" it as easily as he did.

And that goes full circle right back to what Dmac was talking about.

Again, I never said everyone's obesity is a result of laziness. If Colombia can have 13% obesity and we have 35% obesity then it's quite obvious that it's not medical problems that result in obesity for about 20% of people. Stop taking a minority of obese people who are suffering from medical conditions and using it as the majority.

• Upvote 1

The point is that what sounds ludicrous to you is for sure someone else's reality. Everyone has a unique perspective, experiences, limitations, a certain foundation of knowledge or a general lack therof.

This goes back to Cherry thinking that just because his obesity was solely the result of his own laziness that... obviously every case of obesity is exactly like his and obviously everyone can "fix" it as easily as he did.

And that goes full circle right back to what Dmac was talking about.

I wont go far as to say it is ludicrous but I think the sentiment of not having time is not a great one. I understand that everyone will experience difficulty. I do think however education on how to eat and having someone show you is great. It really does not take that much time if you do it correctly.

I guess all I am saying really is that education is very important and very lacking. When you are in school what do you really learn? Eat fruits and veggies and exercise. WE dont address body types, how to eat, what to eat specifically, what kind of exercise, how to exercise, supplements, lean proteins what they do and how they do it, hydration, testosterone levels, triglycerides, cholesterol what is it, how do you use it? What kind of calories are good, what kind of fats are good, how to use these things. I mean even steroids, people are so uneducated on it. Like anything overdo it and they kill you, take 7 mg of Anavar for 6 weeks with a good post cycle supplement and you look like Sylvester Stallone into your 70's.

It is just sad how much misinformation is out there, how much advertising and marketing is out there that is trying to pull you away for a dollar. I think we need to look at school system and nutrition way differently and instead of being a pud class it needs to be a focal point, seeing as how nutrition is important to EVERYONE in a profound way whereas math will only be profoundly important to engineers and so on. Even then, health is more important but it is an easy A where most kids dont learn shit.

As mentioned just previously , there are a variety of factors to include. During that one post, I was merely explaining one factor that you yourself just admitted could make up to roughly 30% of our obesity epidemic .

Other members in other posts have made the case for other factors, all of which are legitimate in varying degrees -- just as your thought process is that some people are just lazy.

Empathy is what solves problems and you have very little to none of it.

I have little no empathy for people who eat an entire pizza by themselves then down a gallon of iced tea, then are upset when they find out they have heart problems from their weight. It's because I know how easy it is to avoid making yourself morbidly obese.

Personal experience is sometimes all we have to go off of but in the end is pretty anecdotal evidence.

As mentioned just previously , there are a variety of factors to include. During that one post, I was merely explaining one factor that you yourself just admitted could make up to roughly 30% of our obesity epidemic .

Other members in other posts have made the case for other factors, all of which are legitimate in varying degrees -- just as your thought process is that some people are just lazy.

Empathy is what solves problems and you have very little to none of it.

Look I am not sure if you are reading what was said, but you are whiffing majorly in what I am saying. Find me a post where I said they are lazy? Find me where I insinuated that? As a matter of fact you say you are explaining the same point I just made. Tell me once where you explained shit about education. So far you have droned at cherry for his hypocrisy, you have lectured at Bware for being a dick, and you are getting all jazzed at me for....well I am not sure

I have said REPEATEDLY that I do not think people should be making it a point to make fun of fat people. Where you are getting I have no empathy from I don't know. As a matter of fact I would like you to quote what I said that got you in a lather because I guess I don't see it and i need to be educated on it.

Have you ever considered maybe there is a cross section of people who could be valuable to people with weight issues, depression issues, or any other real ills and yet say nothing because they are going to get persecuted for what others have said? As an example instead of people asking people who know more about nutrition questions that could be insightful, they could explain it to them from a perspective of someone who is currently heavy so they may gain insight. Nah, instead lets just lump them altogether and pontificate at them all because I am angry about something someone else said.

Look you want to be mad, cool, that is your prerogative. That being said until you can show me where I have said that shaming these people is cool, or that it is lazy maybe you need to hold yourself accountable and realize I have done nothing that you accused me of and you should not put words in my mouth. All I have said is EDUCATION on how to do things could be one way to help, where did you say that again ?

I have little no empathy for people who eat an entire pizza by themselves then down a gallon of iced tea, then are upset when they find out they have heart problems from their weight. It's because I know how easy it is to avoid making yourself morbidly obese.

Just a small thing, but iced tea is actually fine for you and in some studies has shown to increase bone density and lowering your likelihood for fractures in women. Now sweet tea, totally different, my relatives from the south make liquid diabetes all the time and it is gross (taste wise) imo.

Edited by Omerta
  • Upvote 1

I'm not really arguing much of what you are saying Ngata, it's definitely more Cherry. I am all for education. A lot of people simply are ignorant of how to eat healthy or how to do it on a strict schedule.. or how to do it on a budget.. or how to do it for their entire family.. Or, all of the above. I'm from a blended family of 6 kids where we weren't necessarily poor but money had to be watched and some corners had to be cut... Most of us 6 kids were in different sports and school activities. All of us were very rarely all home together doing the same thing. Time was always important.

I wouldn't say we ate completely nasty or anything but due to factors of time, money, and probably a lack of knowledge by my parents we didn't always eat the healthiest either. Improving that knowledge to teach people how to eat healthier or live healthier while factoring in individual experiences and obstacles would be a great tool.

See... You keep saying that you don't think everyone's obesity is a result of laziness or whatever it may be. But you act like it is such an easy thing to obtain for everyone. It isn't. That is just life.

And I think you mistook empathy for sympathy. I am not asking you or anyone else to feel bad for fat people (sympathy). I am asking you to try and understand their situation (empathy). As I mentioned earlier, you are dead set on focusing on the end result, which is obesity. Focusing on that end result is not going to fix anything or help anyone.

Take a simple equation:

2 + 2 = 4.

Cherry, your approach is to make 2 + 2 = 5. It just doesn't work that way. Dmac, Blots, to a degree Ngata.. They are looking at everything before the equals sign. In order to change the end result.

You needs to change the equation to change the result.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1