Aussie Falcons Fan

What are you reading???

I decided to re-start Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle and just finished it a bit ago. Definitely one of the best books I've read to date. Satirical and firmly entrenched in black humor, I'd recommend the book to all of you.

In the mid-1950s, Vonnegut worked very briefly for Sports Illustrated magazine, where he was assigned to write a piece on a racehorse that had jumped a fence and attempted to run away. After staring at the blank piece of paper on his typewriter all morning, he typed, "The horse jumped over the fucking fence," and left.

^So awesome.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

I just read Catcher in the Rye, and I really liked it.

I'm about to start reading The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy.

I read quite a bit of Rant by Chuck Palahniuk, but it wasn't really hitting home, so I haven't picked it back up in a few weeks.

fantastic book, really anything in the Jack Ryan series is worth reading

I'm about halfway through Blaze of Glory by Jeff Shaara which is about the Battle of Shiloh and the first in what's going to be a trilogy on the Western theater of the Civil War, it's really interesting given how little I know about that theater

Guest Phailadelphia

I just finished Machiavelli's "The Prince" and "Discourses." Moving on to Hobbes now and then Locke after...entrenching myself in some political theory.

I decided to re-start Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle and just finished it a bit ago. Definitely one of the best books I've read to date. Satirical and firmly entrenched in black humor, I'd recommend the book to all of you.

^So awesome.

Vonnegut is by far my favorite fiction author. Have you read Slaughterhouse Five?

• Upvote 1

I just read Catcher in the Rye, and I really liked it.

I remember I read the Catcher in the Rye in school. Loved it.

If you liked that, I'd recommend The Giver.

Vonnegut is by far my favorite fiction author. Have you read Slaughterhouse Five?

Yeah, it was the first of his that I read. Loved it as well.

Moving on to Hobbes

Leviathan? Or something else?

Guest Phailadelphia

Leviathan? Or something else?

Yup, Leviathan.

If you liked that, I'd recommend The Giver.

I already read that one. Really liked it. :D Another work from Lois Lowry that I liked was Number the Stars.

Anyway, I'm done with the first chapter or so in the Bear and the Dragon. It's kind of interesting so far, though I'm still waiting for some connection between the sneaky Chinese leader and the events in Russia to surface.

Anyway, I'm done with the first chapter or so in the Bear and the Dragon. It's kind of interesting so far, though I'm still waiting for some connection between the sneaky Chinese leader and the events in Russia to surface.

that's what makes Clancy great, he gives you three or four seemingly completely different story lines then about halfway through the book you realize what they're all building to

Storm Front. By Jim Butcher. This is book 1 in The Dresden Files series. I am only about 10 pages in, so I have no opinion as of now.

Guest Phailadelphia

Can't believe I waited until now to read Leviathan. What an incredible commentary on human nature.

I ordered The Siren of Titans by Vonnegut last night. I don't know when I'll have time to read it but I need some more Vonnegut in my life ASAP.

I've been reading Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club. Yes, the one on which the movie is based. It's really great how Palahnuik's prose puts the reader in a dazed, insomnia-like state (much like the first 15 minutes of the movie) for the entire book. Worth a read, whether you've seen the movie or not.

finished Blaze of Glory, which was fantastic, and I'm almost done with a Grisham novel (The Racketeer) which is interesting, but I'm in the last 100 pages and have no clue where it's going

Guest Phailadelphia

I started Sirens of Titan last week. I started Locke's "Second Treatise of Government" today.

Fool Moon. by Jim Butcher.

Guest Phailadelphia

Finished up Locke. Starting on Rousseau now.

I have a new-found love for political theory.

Finally started Deadhouse Gates. That opening was pretty fucking hardcore.

The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett.

City of Bones by Michael Connelly

The Racketeer was interesting, but kind of an abrupt ending, unfortunately that's rather typical of Grisham novels

Finished up Locke. Starting on Rousseau now.

I have a new-found love for political theory.

Very interesting stuff! :yep:

Have you read any Thomas Hobbes, in particular The Leviathan? :shrug:

Edited by CARDINAL

The Racketeer was interesting, but kind of an abrupt ending, unfortunately that's rather typical of Grisham novels

Have you read The Appeal? I'm 125 pages into it now and it's pretty engrossing, even though it's so anti-corporation. Reminds me of Runaway Jury, which I loved.

Have you read The Appeal? I'm 125 pages into it now and it's pretty engrossing, even though it's so anti-corporation. Reminds me of Runaway Jury, which I loved.

I think The Appeal was the first Grisham novel I read and it was amazing, and the anti-corporation stuff really isn't the main push of that novel, but I'm not sure 125 pages is far enough in that I can say more than that without giving away part of the story line (it's been a while since I read it)

Guest Phailadelphia

I've only read a few Grisham novels but The Appeal was my first. Great book.