Sign in to follow this  
RANGA

Seahawks Targeting Kolb?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/03/22/owners-meetings/index.html?xid=si_nfl

From my vantage point I couldn't quite see whether Pete Carroll wore a cat-ate-the-canary look on his face when he heard the question. But when a Philadelphia-based reporter inquired whether his Seahawks have had conversations with the Eagles regarding a trade for quarterback Kevin Kolb, you could almost hear Carroll's brain whirling as he very carefully chose his words. "There's no conversations going on,'' said Carroll, perhaps notably dropping into present tense. "Not what you want. I talk to [Eagles head coach] Andy [Reid] a lot. I like Andy a lot.''

And my sense is Carroll likes Kolb a lot, too. According to SI's Peter King, the Eagles reportedly have already been offered a first-round pick by one interested team, and Seattle is certainly among the leading suspects. The Seahawks tried trading for an unproven quarterback of the future last offseason with the Charlie Whitehurst deal, and given the move wasn't exactly a smashing success, it stands to reason they have Kolb in their sights. Especially if they don't wind up having to surrender 2011 draft picks for him, but instead get to pay the bill for the move in 2012, should the lockout linger past draft day.

"It's good that people think that,'' Carroll said, of the rumors linking No. 25 Seattle to Kolb. "Because every opportunity that's available, we investigate. We want to [take] every opportunity, and that's one that's been out there. They've said he's a guy they would possibly move. So those kind of discussions, it doesn't matter where it's coming from, we're trying to be privy to all of it. We just want to know what's going on.''

Not exactly a flat denial of interest, wouldn't you say? Especially when Carroll followed that up by extolling the attractiveness of trading for a young veteran whose limited playing experience came in Philadelphia.

"Anybody who comes through Andy's program has been through a great system, with great coaching and leadership and direction and all of that,'' Carroll said. "And that adds to the value of the player, rather than [getting] a guy who's coming fresh out of college.''

Seattle is likely to have competition for Kolb, of course. Minnesota, Arizona, San Francisco and Tennessee all make some sense. But for now, I'm leaving my buck on the Seahawks and Carroll being the most aggressive pursuer. Making the bold move has certainly been Carroll's track record during his brief Seattle tenure.

Id love to grab Kevin Kolb but i don't think it will happen some other team with a better pick will swap with them.

Fall out of love with Charlie Whitehurst already?

Guest Durant4MVP

What's the fascination with Kolb? He hasn't played well.

Fall out of love with Charlie Whitehurst already?

Charlie Whitehurst sucks Pete was just taking a shot in the dark on that one.

Edited by Sacks98

This could be where the Eagles get their first for Kolb.

They do need a QB...

But if I'm the Seahawks and Ponder drops to us in the first I'd take him....If he's not there I'd go Dalton or Kaepernick in the second....ORRRR go BPA at another position in the first and take Dalton or Kaepernick in the second.

Then re-sign Hasselbeck whenever FA starts as I doubt he garners any big contract offers/major interest from other teams.

I mean Kolb really hasn't shown THAT much to garner a first-rounder...has he?

Huge fail if the Hawks give up a 1st rounder for him. He's not worth it.

Especially if Locker-- or Mallet are available when the Hawks are picking.

Huge fail if the Hawks give up a 1st rounder for him. He's not worth it.

Especially if Locker-- or Mallet are available when the Hawks are picking.

idk if I buy that logic. To me Locker and Mallet are much bigger risks than Kolb. Kolb has shown that he is capable of playing at a high level. He's shown some inconsistency, but he doesn't even have 10 starts under his belt. Mallet and Locker have really high bust potential.

idk if I buy that logic. To me Locker and Mallet are much bigger risks than Kolb. Kolb has shown that he is capable of playing at a high level. He's shown some inconsistency, but he doesn't even have 10 starts under his belt. Mallet and Locker have really high bust potential.

I honestly don't see the hype behind Kolb to the point where you'd give up a 1st for him... A 2nd? maybe, but not a first.

The are questions of whether Kolb is ready to start right away. Likewise, there have been questions of whether both Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett could start right away. So why not grab a guy in the first who has a stronger arm then Kolb, probably more upside (Mallett, Locker), will probably also sit out a year as well -although many believe Mallett can start right away- And is 4, 5 years younger.

Im even questioning whehter the Eagles even like what they have in Kolb... IMO all this is is Andy Reid doing a very good job of selling a product that im not even sure they (Eagles) are sure of.

Edit: And on the talk of his showing he can play at a high level, when was the last time he played well for two straight games? His inconsistency shouldn't be ignored as not that big of a deal. All he has shown in terms of playing well is throwing a couple 300 yard games, a lot of QBs can do that, and it's not like he's played the stiffest of pass defenses when he's started either. And he settles too much for the underneath stuff, rarely do you ever see him throw the ball downfield. These kinda things shouldn't be ignored when your a team thinking about a QB for the future... Especially when you don't run the common version of a WCO.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

I honestly don't see the hype behind Kolb to the point where you'd give up a 1st for him... A 2nd? maybe, but not a first.

The are questions of whether Kolb is ready to start right away. Likewise, there have been questions of whether both Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett could start right away. So why not grab a guy in the first who has a stronger arm then Kolb, probably more upside (Mallett, Locker), will probably also sit out a year as well -although many believe Mallett can start right away- And is 4, 5 years younger.

Im even questioning whehter the Eagles even like what they have in Kolb... IMO all this is is Andy Reid doing a very good job of selling a product that im not even sure they (Eagles) are sure of.

Edit: And on the talk of his showing he can play at a high level, when was the last time he played well for two straight games? His inconsistency shouldn't be ignored as not that big of a deal. All he has shown in terms of playing well is throwing a couple 300 yard games, a lot of QBs can do that, and it's not like he's played the stiffest of pass defenses when he's started either. And he settles too much for the underneath stuff, rarely do you ever see him throw the ball downfield. These kinda things shouldn't be ignored when your a team thinking about a QB for the future... Especially when you don't run the common version of a WCO.

This.

Also...sean...wtf broseph...you HATED this guy when he started for the Eagles.

I remember being in the shout at the time you vented your said hatred for said player...it was funny. lol

This.

Also...sean...wtf broseph...you HATED this guy when he started for the Eagles.

I remember being in the shout at the time you vented your said hatred for said player...it was funny. lol

In case you haven't noticed, Eagles fans can be big wafflers sometimes. Sean is such a fan. :p

Well now the Cards are "actively interested", while the 49ers have hinted that the asking price for Kolb is too much for them. Looks like it might come down to sexual favours :p

I-want-Kevin-Kolb-on-my-team-But-that-means-you-have-to-have-sex-with-Andy-Reid.jpg

Edited by RANGA

Just because I think Kolb is a better prospect than Locker or Mallett does not mean I'm waffling and it does not mean that I think he's a great player. I just think those two are going to be monumental busts if taken in the first round

Kevin Kolb is not worth a 1st rounder.

Edited by Sarge

Charlie Whitehurst sucks Pete was just taking a shot in the dark on that one.

Trading a third round pick, and moving back in the second round is a "shot in the dark?" :grinno:

If that's the case, then could Seahawks please take a shot in the dark on Dan Orlovsky?

Kevin Kolb is not worth a 1st rounder.

I agree personally, but he's more with a first than Locker or Mallett imo anyway.

Well now the Cards are "actively interested", while the 49ers have hinted that the asking price for Kolb is too much for them. Looks like it might come down to sexual favours :p

I-want-Kevin-Kolb-on-my-team-But-that-means-you-have-to-have-sex-with-Andy-Reid.jpg

lmao.

The Cardinals being very interested in Kolb is an even worse idea IMO... Because from a decision making point of view Kolb brings virtually the same thing that the Cards had in Leinert... Which is not throwing anything beyond 10 to 15 yards, and when they do, they tend to hang, and be inaccurate...

I actually would prefer taking a shot at Flynn, but even he's not worthy of a 1st rounder or a early second rounder IMO.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

This would be a good move. They'll need a QB and the Eagles would like to get something good for Kolb.

No fuck that!

Resign Matt Hasselbeck, wait for next year. The future will take care of itself. There will be plenty of opportunities to over pay for a quarterback. Swap draft picks next year instead and get your guy. We won't get ANYbody worthy of the job this year. I don't see potential in any trade bait, draft pick, or free agent. Cold hard truth.

No fuck that!

Resign Matt Hasselbeck, wait for next year. The future will take care of itself. There will be plenty of opportunities to over pay for a quarterback. Swap draft picks next year instead and get your guy. We won't get ANYbody worthy of the job this year. I don't see potential in any trade bait, draft pick, or free agent. Cold hard truth.

re-sign*, I usually don't get one people for grammar but it changes the meaning form keep Hasselbeck to release him.

• Upvote 2