Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Rashard Mendenhall raises eyebrows with bin Laden tweets

Being intolerant of intolerance is not hypocritical. Try again.

Huh?

Person A: I think this.

Person B: I think you're stupid for thinking that.

Person C: I think you're stupid for thinking their stupid.

Not hypocritical?

And the problem with celebrating the death of one of the worst mass murderers in history is.......what........??

I don't have a problem with it. I said I can understand why someone sees it as immoral or whatever you want to call it. An overly religious person will say you should not celebrate the death of any human or that every person can be forgiven. It seems like this super-Christian ideal is what Rashard is trying to portray.

• Upvote 1

His agent wrote a really thoughtful "apology/clarification" letter today. I say his agent because if you've read his tweets, there's no fuckin way that Ratard Mentalhall wrote this letter.

This x1000000.

*in before a Steelers fan defends him*

Steelers fans to the rescue. Surprise, surprise. There's one thing to not like how people are cheering over a man's death it's another to be a complete retard and say things like:

and

He clearly chooses to be skeptical that maybe it didn't happen how it did when Osama ADMITTED TO IT.

LOL @ Steeler fans. I imagine if Josh Cribbs or Ray Lewis or Tom Brady said the things Ratard Mentalhall said, they would be here saying "LEAVE HIM ALONE! IT'S THEIR OPINION! THEY CAN SAY WHATEVER THEY WANT!" RAWWWRR!!!!"

Actually, I'm not defending Mendenhall. Some of his comments are completely stupid. He needs to learn how to speak better or shut up. I disagree with him 100%.

Edited by BigBen07
  • Upvote 2

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 5, 2011, 8:49 PM EDT

The athletic apparel company Champion has decided it no longer wants to be associated with Rashard Mendenhall, days after Mendenhall wrote on Twitter that he didn’t believe hijacked planes caused the collapse of the World Trade Center, and that people shouldn’t celebrate the death of Osama bin Laden.

“Earlier this week, Rashard Mendenhall, who endorses Champion products, expressed personal comments and opinions regarding Osama bin Laden and the September 11 terrorist attacks that were inconsistent with the values of the Champion brand and with which we strongly disagreed,†the company said in a statement, via Michael McCarthy of USA Today. “In light of these comments, Champion was obliged to conduct a business assessment to determine whether Mr. Mendenhall could continue to effectively communicate on behalf of and represent Champion with consumers. While we respect Mr. Mendenhall’s right to express sincere thoughts regarding potentially controversial topics, we no longer believe that Mr. Mendenhall can appropriately represent Champion and we have notified Mr. Mendenhall that we are ending our business relationship.â€

It’s commendable that Champion noted in its statement that Mendenhall has a right to express his beliefs. No one can take away Mendenhall’s First Amendment right to make the comments he made.

But when you’re a celebrity endorser, your ability to do that job effectively is directly related to how much people like you. People just don’t like Mendenhall very much right now, and therefore it’s no surprise that a company doesn’t want its products associated with him.

Mendenhall took a step in the right direction when he offered an apology this week and attempted to expand upon his beliefs that celebrating the death of anyone is wrong. But Mendenhall has still not backed away from (or even explained) the bizarre 9/11 conspiracy theory tweet that he later deleted. That tweet was offensive to many, and it should serve as a cautionary tale to other professional athletes about how easy it is to lose an endorsement in 140 characters.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Edited by BLUE

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 5, 2011, 8:49 PM EDT

The athletic apparel company Champion has decided it no longer wants to be associated with Rashard Mendenhall, days after Mendenhall wrote on Twitter that he didn’t believe hijacked planes caused the collapse of the World Trade Center, and that people shouldn’t celebrate the death of Osama bin Laden.

“Earlier this week, Rashard Mendenhall, who endorses Champion products, expressed personal comments and opinions regarding Osama bin Laden and the September 11 terrorist attacks that were inconsistent with the values of the Champion brand and with which we strongly disagreed,†the company said in a statement, via Michael McCarthy of USA Today. “In light of these comments, Champion was obliged to conduct a business assessment to determine whether Mr. Mendenhall could continue to effectively communicate on behalf of and represent Champion with consumers. While we respect Mr. Mendenhall’s right to express sincere thoughts regarding potentially controversial topics, we no longer believe that Mr. Mendenhall can appropriately represent Champion and we have notified Mr. Mendenhall that we are ending our business relationship.â€

It’s commendable that Champion noted in its statement that Mendenhall has a right to express his beliefs. No one can take away Mendenhall’s First Amendment right to make the comments he made.

But when you’re a celebrity endorser, your ability to do that job effectively is directly related to how much people like you. People just don’t like Mendenhall very much right now, and therefore it’s no surprise that a company doesn’t want its products associated with him.

Mendenhall took a step in the right direction when he offered an apology this week and attempted to expand upon his beliefs that celebrating the death of anyone is wrong. But Mendenhall has still not backed away from (or even explained) the bizarre 9/11 conspiracy theory tweet that he later deleted. That tweet was offensive to many, and it should serve as a cautionary tale to other professional athletes about how easy it is to lose an endorsement in 140 characters.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Serves him right. Mendy you're a good RB, but learn to shut the fuck up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually, I'm not defending Mendenhall. Some of his comments are completely stupid. He needs to learn how to speak better or shut up. I disagree with him 100%.

:beerchug2:

Champion athletic gear dropped him as a sponsor today.

I guess that's what happens when people choose to be ignorant and share it with the world.

Corporate sponsor Champion sporting goods has dropped Rashard Mendenhall as an endorser due to his unenlightened and controversial statements about Osama bin Laden.

Champion conceded that Mendenhall is a "dedicated and conscientious young athlete" with a right to free speech, but his comments were "inconsistent with the values" of the company. Mendenhall presents himself as thoughtful and intelligent on Twitter, but his comments have been grossly misinformed on two occasions this offseason. As Daniel Patrick Moynihan once said, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." Source: USA Today

Champion athletic gear dropped him as a sponsor today.

And the hits keep on coming.

I don't need to hear bin Laden speak. He spoke enough by murdering 3,000 innocent Americans. Mark Twain once said, "I have never wished a man to die, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." This is how I feel. Death is definitely a horrible thing, but if anyone in this world deserved to die, it was bin Laden.

May he rot in hell. God bless America.

• Upvote 1

I don't need to hear bin Laden speak. He spoke enough by murdering 3,000 innocent Americans. Mark Twain once said, "I have never wished a man to die, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." This is how I feel. Death is definitely a horrible thing, but if anyone in this world deserved to die, it was bin Laden.

May he rot in hell. God bless America.

:beerchug2:

Just another reason to root against the Steelers.

Sounds to me like Mendenhall is an Alex Jones fan.

Just another reason to root against the Steelers.

No just a reason to dislike Mendenhall.