Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Greatest Rock Guitarist: Sweet Sixteen

For each matchup, vote for who you think is the superior guitarist.  

17 members have voted

1. 1. (1) Jimi Hendrix vs. (9) Alex Lifeson

• Jimi Hendrix (The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Band of Gypsys)
    • Alex Lifeson (Rush)
  2. 2. (5) Steve Vai vs. (13) B.B. King

• Steve Vai (Solo)
    • B.B. King (Solo)

Jimi Hendrix

jimi_hendrix-996.jpg

vs.

Alex Lifeson

Alex_lifeson.jpg

---------------------------------------------------

Steve Vai

STEVE_VAI.jpg

vs.

B.B. King

bbking.jpg

not even a second thought with these two matches.

Hendrix, Vai

Hendrix, Vai

had a tough call on King vs. Vai. Vai is undoubtedly a more technically skilled guitarist, but it is BB King. Went with Vai in the end but it was a tough call.

Leave it to the Canadian to go Rush over Jimi. lol. Get 'em B.B.!!!!!!!!

Hendrix & Vai :wub:

>_> Vote for the best, doggie. Lifeson > Hendrix and I will let you eat your hat if you disagree.

Looks like we've got a good duel between King and Vai. Keep the votes coming!

Here's the thing, Lifeson may be more technically proficient than Hendrix, and he's certainly not as sloppy. BUT this tournament is the greatest ever, and not only could Jimi tear it up himself he's probably one of the 3 most influential rock'n'roll guitarists of all time, and out of those 3 definitely the most current. The man deserves his dues as one of the greats, and although I prefer Lifeson all day I had to put Jimi over him.

Edited by Silentway

Here's the thing, Lifeson may be more technically proficient than Hendrix, and he's certainly not as sloppy. BUT this tournament is the greatest ever, and not only could Jimi tear it up himself he's probably one of the 3 most influential rock'n'roll guitarists of all time, and out of those 3 definitely the most current. The man deserves his dues as one of the greats, and although I prefer Lifeson all day I had to put Jimi over him.

That might be the case, but that just makes it easy to pick a less talented guitarist in a head-on match. I picked Hendrix too, but I'd never dream of picking him if he ran head-on into Clapton or SRV. Why? Because they're better.

At some point, I'd like to see a guitar bracket that didn't involve the "popularity" vote. Who's influenced more people? How about who's better? Seriously? I'd love to see that bracket. Granted, Petrucci would take that one just as much as Hendrix is going to take this one. What's the point of all this? We already know the answer.

Also, "sloppy" needs to be a damn detriment to guitarists like Hendrix and Page. Y'all ever heard a Hendrix live video? Or Black Dog? Slop-fests.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Downvote 2

OMG...just SHUT THE FUCK UP.

NOBODY CARES.

Your opinion is NOT FACT, motherfucker. Why can you not get that through your god damn head?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is when he agrees with me.

obama.jpg

Edited by RazorStar

I think Hendrix played sloppy because he was constantly on hallucinogenic drugs and many, many other drugs as well. The guy taught himself to play lefty by restringing a right handed guitar and playing it backward. At the Isle of White he played the British national anthem after only hear a guy hum a bar seconds before he went on stage. Not only was he a great talent just playing guitar but he did some crazy shit in the studio that is as original and innovative as anything anyone has done with a guitar in the studio. He's not technical but there are certain things you have keep in mind when talking about Jimi.

Exactly Sean, and influence is DEFINITELY a factor in the Greatest guitarist tournament. This is not a best guitarist, or most technically sound guitarist, this is about the greatest. That would be like having a contest for The Greatest Inventor and Thomas Edison being thrown out because all of his inventions are elementary and aren't as technically good as the Ipad. Hendrix's innovations with the electric guitar are unparalleled point blank, and I would put him over Eric Clapton because Eric Clapton sucks as a lead composer. (His own words btw) He's wonderful to fill your music with incredible riffs, and he can play really nice, but he's just a Robert Johnson copy; he even sings just like the man for crying out loud. Even though I like a lot of Clapton's work; Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page are two of the most overrated guitarists ever. (Especially considering how easy it is to tweak blues scales all day) They're good at what they do, they have good tone, but in style and composition they certainly don't stand alone amongst the greats.

No, you'd discredit Edison because he stole all of his shit from Tesla and was in with the patent office.

The duel between Vai and King is the last thing I'm waiting on. I'll keep the thread open for another few hours and then we shall be on to the elite eight.