Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Marvin Lewis says Carson Palmer has retired

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis confirmed Tuesday that he has no expectations of quarterback Carson Palmer reporting to Bengals camp. "Carson has retired," said Lewis, who unlike owner Mike Brown has already turned the page. Lewis confirmed that the Bengals will pursue a veteran quarterback to compete with rookie Andy Dalton and Jordan Palmer. Dalton will open camp as Cincinnati's starter. Brown said he will not reward Carson with a trade if he walks away from his contract.

Source: Geoff Hobson: Twitter.com

lmaoMikeBrown. What an idiot.

He can still come out of retirement during the free agency period, correct? I think the chances are very good they get the first overall pick. They won't have Benson, won't have Palmer, won't have T.O. or OchoCinco. Granted the Cardinals, Seahawks, Raiders, and Panthers will all still be in the mix. I would really prefer that we keep Hasselbeck just so there's reason to believe we will win some exciting football games this year, but since Andrew Luck is in this class, I think I can settle for a rebuilding year. I'll just have to suck it up, think about the good times knocking the Saints out of the playoffs, and go hardcore at fantasy this year.

BC has already given up

As for Mike Brown, guy is a piece of shit owner

Carson is moronic. I doubt he stays retired anyway. I'd rather go to Bengals camp, throw a hissy fit... Collect on my MASSIVE contract while doing nothing. That puts the leverage back on his side... Not retiring. haha.

• Upvote 1

I respect Carson more for retiring. The guy doesn't want to put up with the bullshit anymore. People who throw hissy fits are just being immature and unprofessional. If Carson goes into camp he's going to work because that's what he's being paid for. He's no Brandon Marshall who cried like a bitch until he got traded or Albert who basically just stole money from a team and gave them the middle finger, those are just poor human beings.

It's not like he hasn't already got a shit ton of money from the Bengals anyway.

Edited by Shotgun

OH PLEASE. Let's stop acting like Carson is taking a high road here. HE DID THROW A HISSY FIT... He said "Trade me or I'm retiring".. Some ultimatum that is.

Be a man, finish the contract you signed.

I don't consider that a hissy fit. He's been on the Bengals for a long time and has said in the past he hoped to retire there, but when someone is at the end of their career and they're on a team that isn't going anywhere because it has both a shitty owner and a shitty coach and they have to deal with drama queens like Chad, yeah I can most definitely see why he didn't want to stay there for one more year. I imagine a team like that sucked out all the passion he had for the game which is why he chose retirement over money.

I don't consider that a hissy fit. He's been on the Bengals for a long time and has said in the past he hoped to retire there, but when someone is at the end of their career and they're on a team that isn't going anywhere because it has both a shitty owner and a shitty coach and they have to deal with drama queens like Chad, yeah I can most definitely see why he didn't want to stay there for one more year. I imagine a team like that sucked out all the passion he had for the game which is why he chose retirement over money.

He knew the kind of team the Bengals were when he signed that deal. He had been putting up with the wide array or personalities before he took the tens of millions of dollars that he has gotten from Mike Brown.

Now... Don't get me wrong. I can't stand Carson Palmer, but Brown isn't exactly acting very mature either. Basically you have two stubborn, not-so-bright individuals playing chicken. And with Carson retired for the time being... It looks like Mike Brown wins.

signed that deal.

What's a deal or a contract worth in todays NFL? A team can end a players contract at will. The only recourse a player has is to demand a trade, retire or marine up.

For those thinking that Mike Brown has softened his stance on Carson Palmer, especially since the trade period opened up today, guess again.

BrownNew-300x187.jpgThe Enquirer/ Gary Landers

Brown issued his hardest statement yet on the matter during Tuesday’s pre training camp press conference at Paul Brown Stadium.

Said Brown: “I honesty like Carson Palmer. He was a splendid player for us. He is a good person. I wish him well and he has retired. That is his choice.â€

“I’m not expecting him to be back. Carson signed a contract, he made a commitment. He gave us his word. We relied on his word and his commitment. We expected him to perform here. If he is going to walk away from his commitment we aren’t going to reward him for doing it.â€

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/07/26/brown-still-adamant-about-not-trading-palmer/

What's a deal or a contract worth in todays NFL? A team can end a players contract at will. The only recourse a player has is to demand a trade, retire or marine up.

What's a job worth these days? An employer can fire an employee at will. The only recourse an employee has is to quit, find a new job, or man the fuck up and deal with it.

What's a job worth these days? An employer can fire an employee at will. The only recourse an employee has is to quit, find a new job, or man the fuck up and deal with it.

Not exactly the same thing. An employee normally doesn't have a stipulation or contractual obligation saying he can't go perform his job elsewhere. In this case the NFL or specifically the Bengals are saying - you can't go find a new 'job'.

I couldnt imagine my company going the way the Bengals have, I'd want out and would want to work for another company...In the same line of work (It is my career after all) and have my company tell me tough. You stay or retire. Those are your options. Fuck that :D. This isnt fucking McDonalds or Lawn Care.

Not exactly the same thing. An employee normally doesn't have a stipulation or contractual obligation saying he can't go perform his job elsewhere. In this case the NFL or specifically the Bengals are saying - you can't go find a new 'job'.

I couldnt imagine my company going the way the Bengals have, I'd want out and would want to work for another company...In the same line of work (It is my career after all) and have my company tell me tough. You stay or retire. Those are your options. Fuck that :D. This isnt fucking McDonalds or Lawn Care.

He can easily go find a new job. He has the choice to play football or not play football. He has decided not to play football. That's his decision... And while he is a moron, it isn't my place to say what's best for he and his family.

He can easily get some endorsements, open a restaurant, start a used car business, become a dolphin trainer, etc etc etc. And he has enough money for he and his family to be set for generations. I feel no remorse for Carson Palmer, at all.

He can easily go find a new job. He has the choice to play football or not play football.

You're using job like its McDonalds. He has a career. It's a hard thing to tell a man that he has to give up his career while on the other side of the table you have the ability to drop him at any time. The point here is a normal person can resume their career elsewhere, while Carson cannot. Yes, he has other opportunities but he cannot play again in the NFL because Mike Brown says so.

I dont feel any remorse for him either and dont personally like the guy but its a shitty deal. I dont have the knowledge on how to fix the situation, obviously you cant just allow players to start demanding trades on whims or all hell would break loose but you have to be able to hold organizations accountable for their performance. If they suck for a period of time and a player doesnt want his career to end in mediocrity they have an out in the contract to seek a better team.

You're using job like its McDonalds. He has a career. It's a hard thing to tell a man that he has to give up his career while on the other side of the table you have the ability to drop him at any time. The point here is a normal person can resume their career elsewhere, while Carson cannot. Yes, he has other opportunities but he cannot play again in the NFL because Mike Brown says so.

I dont feel any remorse for him either and dont personally like the guy but its a shitty deal. I dont have the knowledge on how to fix the situation, obviously you cant just allow players to start demanding trades on whims or all hell would break loose but you have to be able to hold organizations accountable for their performance. If they suck for a period of time and a player doesnt want his career to end in mediocrity they have an out in the contract to seek a better team.

Oh come on... Lol. Nobody is telling Carson that he has to quit. He did that ALL BY HIMSELF. His retirement is HIS CHOICE. Mike Brown and the Bengals WANT HIM BACK. Which, is absurd to me. But that's their call, not mine.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

OH PLEASE. Let's stop acting like Carson is taking a high road here. HE DID THROW A HISSY FIT... He said "Trade me or I'm retiring".. Some ultimatum that is.

Be a man, finish the contract you signed.

My dude, whats goin on in your thought process? Carson Palmer was a top college QB. A shit team drafted him. They managed a playoff berth a couple of times and made a couple splashes when the Steelers had down years, but they never mustered a real legit SB contender roster. All the other key players he has left are talking to other teams as we speak. Why should he have to just rot the last couple years of his career he has left? He's absolutely taking the high road. The Bengals are the ones lookin like bitches, because they are getting absolutely nothing when they most certainly could have had a mid round draft pick.

Oh come on... Lol. Nobody is telling Carson that he has to quit. He did that ALL BY HIMSELF. His retirement is HIS CHOICE. Mike Brown and the Bengals WANT HIM BACK. Which, is absurd to me. But that's their call, not mine.

You are completely ignoring any other points in my post and focusing on the quitting part. Carson doesnt want to work for the Bengals anymore, it would be cool if there was some contractual out for him based on the performance of the team so he could resume his career with some other team. Thats my entire point.

Carson Palmer still hasn't filed retirement papers with the NFL.

Palmer doesn't want to retire. He just wants to play for a team other than the Bengals. Palmer is on the reserve/did not report list, which exposes him to fines of $30,000 per day. He still holds a degree of leverage, though, as he could report days before the season opener. The Bengals would then have to decide whether to cut Palmer or pay his $11.5 million salary. Owner Mike Brown would almost certainly pay it if forced to make a decision.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

I suggested he do that WEEKS ago... Instead of make empty retirement threats. Carson Palmer is a disgusting little puke.

Jesus Christ... BOTH Palmer and Brown are being idiots. Palmer quit making empty threats, and Brown quit being a fucking dick and send him away.

Either way, Palmer is going to be under center this season...

Might not be Carson though.

Either way, Palmer is going to be under center this season...

Might not be Carson though.

orly?

Bengals cut ties to Jordan Palmer, Carson's younger brother

For the first time in more than eight years, there's no Palmer at quarterback for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Backup Jordan Palmer was waived Saturday, giving older brother Carson even more reason to stay away from the forlorn franchise. Jordan Palmer was the No. 2 quarterback last season behind his brother, who asked for a trade after a 4-12 finish.

:facepalm:

Fuck the Bengals.